Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Thoughts on jolleys future?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 195 Guests

Jolleys future what's peoples opinions?
Happy to keep jolleys for the remainder of the season.
Give him a few more games
Time to go now.
  View Results 146 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Thoughts on jolleys future?

This thread currently has 7,806 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Northbank Mariner
November 10, 2019, 6:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,390
Gold Stars: 170
I'll ask a question.

Did Jolley really keep us in the league in those last 10 games or was it the Swiss cheese model where all the holes lined up?

Teams around us floundered, whilst we kept getting lucky with penalties. We dint play good football, we didn't score countless goals from open play....

So maybe, just maybe, rather than his magical managerial touch it was pure and simply luck!...

In the same way the Exeter win cane about by stumbling upon a team that played out if necessity, again I point to luck not managerial brilliance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 46
KingstonMariner
November 10, 2019, 7:19am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
I'll ask a question.

Did Jolley really keep us in the league in those last 10 games or was it the Swiss cheese model where all the holes lined up?

Teams around us floundered, whilst we kept getting lucky with penalties. We dint play good football, we didn't score countless goals from open play....

So maybe, just maybe, rather than his magical managerial touch it was pure and simply luck!...

In the same way the Exeter win cane about by stumbling upon a team that played out if necessity, again I point to luck not managerial brilliance.

I presume you pointed this out the season before last when we stayed up.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 46
mariner91
November 10, 2019, 7:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,254
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from marinerdazza
I’m going to get shot down for this but intercourse it, if so I’ll try and find a support group for people who’ve been red crossed on a league two football forum.

I’m as drunk off as anyone. But today’s selection clearly wasn’t his first. Macca and Elliott not available. Macca is a big loss obviously. Elliott too, given Hendrie is crocked.

The idea that the only/best option with the players available was to play Cook at right wing-back is laughable. If anything it perfectly encapsulates Jolley’s major flaw. He chooses a system and then fits the players he has in around that even if it means lots of square pegs in round holes. Another example is how he inexplicably decided to spend all last pre-season practising 352 with a squad that didn’t have anyone capable of playing left wing-back.

The best managers make a team so that it’s greater than the sum of its parts. They play to the strengths of their players and try to minimise their weaknesses as a team through the formation/tactics they employ. Ironically this is is exactly what he did when he kept us up and is why I thought he would do well for us. Sadly, he hasn’t done it since. I think Jolley thinks he’s smarter than he actually is when it comes to tactics and unfortunately doesn’t seem to have learnt anything from the numerous lessons he’s had in 18 months. And sadly, little sign of progress as a manager and definitely not getting the most out of this squad so you have to question why we should give him any longer.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 46
Northbank Mariner
November 10, 2019, 7:33am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,390
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I presume you pointed this out the season before last when we stayed up.

As it happens, yes I did...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 46
dapperz fun pub
November 10, 2019, 8:03am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
What a awful scrappy game of football , the die hards who go every week need medals if that’s what’s being dished up regularly. I think the pressure will mount on MJ and I can see him off loaded turn of the year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 46
November 10, 2019, 9:25am
Guest User
Quoted from Ipswin
Where's the 'We should never have employed him' option?

Irrelevant, just like you.
Reply: 25 - 46
November 10, 2019, 9:29am
Guest User
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Do you know my analogy of Jolley...he's a morph of Bignott and Slade.... Bignott could see a player, but tactically frigging useless and Slade just knew one way...smash it upfield and hope to pick up the pieces. ..all sounds too familiar to me right now..

I thought Bigmott was a good appointment. Well I was wrong but you can't say he could see a player. What level are all his signings playing at? Slade had even one way, I don't think.
Reply: 26 - 46
HertsGTFC
November 10, 2019, 9:52am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from mariner91

The idea that the only/best option with the players available was to play Cook at right wing-back is laughable. If anything it perfectly encapsulates Jolley’s major flaw. He chooses a system and then fits the players he has in around that even if it means lots of square pegs in round holes. Another example is how he inexplicably decided to spend all last pre-season practising 352 with a squad that didn’t have anyone capable of playing left wing-back.

The best managers make a team so that it’s greater than the sum of its parts. They play to the strengths of their players and try to minimise their weaknesses as a team through the formation/tactics they employ. Ironically this is is exactly what he did when he kept us up and is why I thought he would do well for us. Sadly, he hasn’t done it since. I think Jolley thinks he’s smarter than he actually is when it comes to tactics and unfortunately doesn’t seem to have learnt anything from the numerous lessons he’s had in 18 months. And sadly, little sign of progress as a manager and definitely not getting the most out of this squad so you have to question why we should give him any longer.

If you listen to is RH interview he claimed Pollock was playing RB I’m no tactician but to me it looked like 3 at the back.

The personnel in the squad  yesterday could have easily gone 4-3-3 and considering we where at home you should be more offensive than your visitors.

I think the squad is o.k for this level but I’m not convinced the players are adaptable enough to fit into an ever changing system.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 46
Bigdog
November 10, 2019, 9:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from 140067

I thought Bigmott was a good appointment. Well I was wrong but you can't say he could see a player. What level are all his signings playing at? Slade had even one way, I don't think.

What level are all of the players we've signed since returning to the EFL? From memory only one permanent signing is playing at a higher level, Danny Andrew. That's a pretty damning indictment that can't be laid at one manager's door..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 46
golfer
November 10, 2019, 10:05am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,376
Gold Stars: 112
Tell him to read the Fishy for some sensible tips ' cos I reckon he must be a very "stubborn " man
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Thoughts on jolleys future?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.