Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Thoughts on jolleys future?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 340 Guests

Jolleys future what's peoples opinions?
Happy to keep jolleys for the remainder of the season.
Give him a few more games
Time to go now.
  View Results 146 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Thoughts on jolleys future?

This thread currently has 7,889 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Swansea_Mariner
November 9, 2019, 10:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
I don't  reckon he's going anywhere soon as long as we bumble along picking up the odd win here and there.  He works to a budget and I reckon that and avoid relegation is the extent of the ambition of this club under present ownership.

Just six turgid more season to go and then we can be rid, debt free start again with a clean slate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 46
Bigdog
November 9, 2019, 10:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Sack manager
Look for decent manager who will work for peanuts
Look for a decent manager who won't laugh at Cheapside
Pick from managers who will be desperate enough for a job to move to Grimsby
Rely on a board without much football knowledge to choose a manager
New manager given "competitive" budget
Prospective players shown round BP and the desperate ones pretend to be impressed, the not so desperate sign for someone else
Avoid the Conference
Avoid the Conference
Sack manager
Repeat process until we drop into the Conference again

Whether it's Jolley's turn for the sack or not.. will anything ever really change? There's clear reasons why we've only finished above halfway in the fourth tier only once in the past seventeen years or been relegated and all of those reasons can't be blamed on the thirteen managers in this fallow period, however poor they've been.. it goes a lot deeper than that..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 46
MuddyWaters
November 9, 2019, 10:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Bigdog
Sack manager
Look for decent manager who will work for peanuts
Look for a decent manager who won't laugh at Cheapside
Pick from managers who will be desperate enough for a job to move to Grimsby
Rely on a board without much football knowledge to choose a manager
New manager given "competitive" budget
Prospective players shown round BP and the desperate ones pretend to be impressed, the not so desperate sign for someone else
Avoid the Conference
Avoid the Conference
Sack manager
Repeat process until we drop into the Conference again

Whether it's Jolley's turn for the sack or not.. will anything ever really change? There's clear reasons why we've only finished above halfway in the fourth tier only once in the past seventeen years or been relegated and all of those reasons can't be blamed on the thirteen managers in this fallow period.. it goes a lot deeper than that..

But anyone with a semblance of common sense knows that Bigdog. The snowflakes and the Fenty family will tell us that ‘without John there would be no GTFC’ and round in circles we go again.

We’ve now got a second trust director! Whoopie doo! That’s two directors whose votes will count for fuckall. More of the same - no investment, no buyer, no success and fuckthefans. Welcome to 17 years of Custodian Fenty.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 46
marinerdazza
November 9, 2019, 10:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,848
Gold Stars: 82
I’m going to get shot down for this but intercourse it, if so I’ll try and find a support group for people who’ve been red crossed on a league two football forum.

I’m as drunk off as anyone. But today’s selection clearly wasn’t his first. Macca and Elliott not available. Macca is a big loss obviously. Elliott too, given Hendrie is crocked. Surprised to see Wright omitted, but I bet he’ll be back for the next league game.

Not sure what anyone else would have done differently. The Cardwell substitution maybe, but who knows what Ogbu is like atm.

If you want a benchmark, check out Scunny’s response to their result today.

Sacking more often than not seals relegation. Only one spot this year and it would be stupid to send us into a spiral now. Without a doubt we need a couple of players in January. And if we’re shite at the end of the season, that’s the time to take stock and make a considered decision.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 46
Bigdog
November 9, 2019, 11:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
For what it's worth..For purely footballing reasons, I think it's time for another manager to have a go.

Potential of the squad > Jolley's ability

The only thing is.. with league gates already down to 3.5k home fans only two and a half months into the season.. where's the money going to come from to tempt someone decent? What decent manager is going to put his career on the line with the proposition of tempting players to BP and Cheapside with a "competitive" budget along with the threat of dropping into the Conference? And do we trust the board to get it right?!!

Wasn't so popular saying the club is on life support in another thread.. but start asking questions like this if Jolley is sent packing, and those that disagreed with me should realise exactly where we are as a club..

Jolley won't get sacked though. As long as he keeps us in this division and JF continues getting his money back to the tune of 200/250k per annum, nothing is going to change. Not even when JF is finally paid off to the point where he'll have invested exactly jack shite to be in control for twenty years.. other than his ahem "expertise"..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 46
MuddyWaters
November 9, 2019, 11:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from marinerdazza
I’m going to get shot down for this but intercourse it, if so I’ll try and find a support group for people who’ve been red crossed on a league two football forum.

I’m as drunk off as anyone. But today’s selection clearly wasn’t his first. Macca and Elliott not available. Macca is a big loss obviously. Elliott too, given Hendrie is crocked. Surprised to see Wright omitted, but I bet he’ll be back for the next league game.

Not sure what anyone else would have done differently. The Cardwell substitution maybe, but who knows what Ogbu is like atm.

If you want a benchmark, check out Scunny’s response to their result today.

Sacking more often than not seals relegation. Only one spot this year and it would be stupid to send us into a spiral now. Without a doubt we need a couple of players in January. And if we’re shite at the end of the season, that’s the time to take stock and make a considered decision.

Today was a shower of shite that had fuckall to do with Russell and Pollock replacing Macca and Hewitt. Wright hasn’t even trained yet and, much as I like Max, basing our attacking threat on a kid with less than a handful of first team starts appears a little desperate.

The lack of progress isn’t just worrying, it’s beyond a joke.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 46
RichMariner
November 9, 2019, 11:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
I'm as frustrated as the next Town fan over our lack of progress. I'm a staunch supporter of Jolley and I continue to believe that sacking him now will solve nothing.

I mean, what calibre of manager is out there who will at least guarantee us fast, energetic, attacking football? They might be able to deliver it, but what if we lose 4-3 every week, or if he starts signing 33-year-old journeymen and drop players like Pollock?

No one knows what the future holds but looking back at general trends you have to say that the only managerial appointment Fenty and the board got right - and it took some patience - was Hurst. Even then, the actual appointment was Scott & Hurst, and they were third choice, and we didn't play by the rules to get them, either.

I felt that Jolley was the right sort of appointment at the time, and he did a great job in keeping us up. I don't know what happened during his first summer but we began last season with a very weak squad, and we ended the season with an even weaker squad.

This season's squad looked so much stronger - and it showed too, in August. Since then, Exeter apart, it's been pretty awful. I'm not sure what that's down to.

Jolley needs to think back to what he did, and how he managed the situation, when he took over from Slade. Quality was low; morale was rock bottom. He got the team playing and we won four of our last five to stay up.

I think managers just lose their minds sometimes. They lose sight of the core principles they came in with. We looked a great side when we beat Notts County to stay up. We looked even better at Forest Green when Hooper got that hat-trick (albeit in a dead rubber). At times, we looked great last season, and tactically Jolley played the (almost) perfect game at Palace.

What none of us can work out is why Jolley keeps changing things, and looking so uncertain in his squad selection, tactics and formation. This is his squad and his to work with. He can have no excuses there.

I think a succession of GTFC managers keep making the same mistake. They spend the whole summer recruiting players for a certain formation and a certain style, and when that fails they end up chopping, changing and shoehorning players here there and everywhere, almost in panic, so we lose our identity, lose our focus and the whole thing becomes messy.

Jolley needs to look at what he's got. Top keeper for this division. Hendrie and Gibson are more than capable at this level. Pollock is an outstanding talent and between the other centre backs we have enough quality in defence to be tighter than we are.

Hess is a great holding midfielder. Clifton and Whitehouse will get around the pitch. Robson and Cook have attacking intent, and Wright could be a real star at this level. Hanson is proven at this level. Green too. Ogbu? Jury's out. But essentially we have a very good squad for this league when everyone's fit.

Just play your best players in their best positions. Get ourselves out of this hole. I don't think a new manager will solve anything because they'll look at this squad and say it's not theirs, and there'll be wholesale changes once again in the summer when, I believe (as I've already explained) we have a more than capable squad to push for the play-offs.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 16 - 46
marinerdazza
November 9, 2019, 11:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,848
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from RichMariner
I'm as frustrated as the next Town fan over our lack of progress. I'm a staunch supporter of Jolley and I continue to believe that sacking him now will solve nothing.

I mean, what calibre of manager is out there who will at least guarantee us fast, energetic, attacking football? They might be able to deliver it, but what if we lose 4-3 every week, or if he starts signing 33-year-old journeymen and drop players like Pollock?

No one knows what the future holds but looking back at general trends you have to say that the only managerial appointment Fenty and the board got right - and it took some patience - was Hurst. Even then, the actual appointment was Scott & Hurst, and they were third choice, and we didn't play by the rules to get them, either.

I felt that Jolley was the right sort of appointment at the time, and he did a great job in keeping us up. I don't know what happened during his first summer but we began last season with a very weak squad, and we ended the season with an even weaker squad.

This season's squad looked so much stronger - and it showed too, in August. Since then, Exeter apart, it's been pretty awful. I'm not sure what that's down to.

Jolley needs to think back to what he did, and how he managed the situation, when he took over from Slade. Quality was low; morale was rock bottom. He got the team playing and we won four of our last five to stay up.

I think managers just lose their minds sometimes. They lose sight of the core principles they came in with. We looked a great side when we beat Notts County to stay up. We looked even better at Forest Green when Hooper got that hat-trick (albeit in a dead rubber). At times, we looked great last season, and tactically Jolley played the (almost) perfect game at Palace.

What none of us can work out is why Jolley keeps changing things, and looking so uncertain in his squad selection, tactics and formation. This is his squad and his to work with. He can have no excuses there.

I think a succession of GTFC managers keep making the same mistake. They spend the whole summer recruiting players for a certain formation and a certain style, and when that fails they end up chopping, changing and shoehorning players here there and everywhere, almost in panic, so we lose our identity, lose our focus and the whole thing becomes messy.

Jolley needs to look at what he's got. Top keeper for this division. Hendrie and Gibson are more than capable at this level. Pollock is an outstanding talent and between the other centre backs we have enough quality in defence to be tighter than we are.

Hess is a great holding midfielder. Clifton and Whitehouse will get around the pitch. Robson and Cook have attacking intent, and Wright could be a real star at this level. Hanson is proven at this level. Green too. Ogbu? Jury's out. But essentially we have a very good squad for this league when everyone's fit.

Just play your best players in their best positions. Get ourselves out of this hole. I don't think a new manager will solve anything because they'll look at this squad and say it's not theirs, and there'll be wholesale changes once again in the summer when, I believe (as I've already explained) we have a more than capable squad to push for the play-offs.

You’re wasting your time. The villagers have lit their torches. Again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 46
AdamHaddock
November 9, 2019, 11:33pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
Recruited quite well on paper this summer but still lacking that creative type, but he can't seem to settle on a game plan that plays to their strengths. Most performances I've seen this season have been shocking and lacked anything resembling attacking threat. But we've also lost the defensive solidity of last season.

Does he have the answers or is he just a coach who has blagged his way into a management job?

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 46
Ashby mariner
November 10, 2019, 5:25am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 8
I'd personally get rid of Jolley now. We started well I remember watching us against Bradford and thinking if this is how we are going to play then where in for a good season. Now we look completely lost. I'd go for Paul Tisdale but I think he probably wouldn't come here.
Since we've been back in league 2 one thing baffles me that is we seemed to have better players while we where in the conforence than we have had in the last few seasons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Thoughts on jolleys future?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.