Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Thoughts on jolleys future?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 109 Guests

Jolleys future what's peoples opinions?
Happy to keep jolleys for the remainder of the season.
Give him a few more games
Time to go now.
  View Results 146 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Thoughts on jolleys future?

This thread currently has 7,875 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
rancido
November 10, 2019, 12:39pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,567
Gold Stars: 96
Up until now I've been supportive of MJ and prepared to give him a chance.
He has many " plus points ". He is a young and ambitious manager. He is intelligent enough to identify a problem and find a way to correct it. He has some of the highest coaching qualifications available. He learnt his early trade as the Under 23 coach at Burnley - and these are not kids but mostly older than youth players who need guidance in tactics, positioning etc. He has experience of managing professional league football in Sweden.
His " negative points " are starting to show through, though. He gives the impression of approaching a lot of games like he is playing some type of Football Manager computer game. He can't seem to make his mind up about what format or playing style he intends to prefer.  He seems inclined to think that almost any player can fit any role. He doesn't seem to realise that we , as the fans and paying public, expect to see some kind of entertainment or end result in paying out hard earned money to watch our team perform.
For my personal approach I don't like the reliance he seems to put on loan players. They will be expected , by their parent clubs , to make a consistant contribution to our matchday playing squad but I feel this could be to the detriment of giving our permanent signings the opportunity to develop under match conditions. I also think some of his permanent signings are questionable. Green , for example, wasn't deemed good enough for Salford when the got promoted to the league so why would MJ think he was good enough for a League 2 team with aspirations for promotion?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 46
Malta_Mariner_90
November 10, 2019, 12:45pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from RichMariner

We looked a great side when we beat Notts County to stay up. Really? Great? We looked even better at Forest Green when Hooper got that hat-trick (albeit in a dead rubber). At times, we looked great last season, and tactically Jolley played the (almost) perfect game at Palace We defended valiantly nothing more. Palace at the time could not buy a goal at home and they actually started a centre forward who made Cardwell look like Gerd Muller.

What none of us can work out is why Jolley keeps changing things, and looking so uncertain in his squad selection, tactics and formation. This is his squad and his to work with. He can have no excuses there. I do 100% agree with this. When you think about it for a moment it is actually very alarming. How on earth can any manager be "uncertain in his squad selection, tactics and formation" it is what he is bloody paid to do. If he cannot even decide what is his best team he is not doing his job.

I really admire your optimism in your post and I really want Jolley to succeed...but I have to disagree on a couple of points in the above you mention (Bold). We all want Jolley to be a success but the longer he has been our manager the more it is becoming obvious he does not or cannot see where he is going wrong. For me his lack of signing wingers is almost criminal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 46
SomeSanity
November 10, 2019, 12:45pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +855
Gold Stars: 1
When it comes to player recruitment under Jolley I’ve noticed the following.

We have had 3 transfer windows under the guy and yet we have never signed young up and coming players from non league? Are we not looking there? We have seen many times over that players at that level can more than hold their own at this level and above.

We tend to look at exactly the same players everyone else looks at and for whatever reason tend to end up with the last picks.

3 transfer windows and he hasn’t signed an out and out winger. We have no width and this is never addressed. It’s very frustrating when we as fans can see the problem but this problem is never solved due to the stubbornness of manager.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 46
grimsby pete
November 10, 2019, 7:54pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Jolley said at the beginning of the season we are going for it this season,

He never said what  it  was though.

He says again and again we need to play on the front foot and play a high pressing game.

Yet all we can see is players all getting behind the ball and when we do win it or they give us the ball its just booted up the field in the direction of Hanson.

Its not working Michael start playing the players in their best position and practice what you preach.
You talk a good game but your words have no substance .
Going to a football match is supposed to be an enjoyable event but if you took your goggles off and read the fishy you will find out the natives are not happy and are bored with your tactics you are no better than Slade.

Use the little time you have left and prove you can do the job because if you don't managers who get the sack from Grimsby find it very hard to get another job in football.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 46
KingstonMariner
November 10, 2019, 8:01pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

As it happens, yes I did...

Never doubted you 😉

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 46
KingstonMariner
November 10, 2019, 8:04pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Osbourne, had the ability to play higher but didn't have mental acumen for it.
Who signed Dean Henderson?...leave that one with you.
Who brought Ogle on as a player before selling to town?
Yusuf...better than Cardwell..
......can't be bothered to go through the full list ..

Marcus Bigknob? Eye eye!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 46
Northbank Mariner
November 10, 2019, 8:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Marcus Bigknob? Eye eye!

Flipping predictive text😂😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Thoughts on jolleys future?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.