November 12, 2019, 1:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Abdul19
I'm already looking forward to his 18 minute Boxing Day cameo at left wing back

I think there's more chance of it being a  1.8  minute cameo..... bringing subs on at the death is a sure fire way of us returning to winning ways isn't it?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 51 - 96
Son of Cod
November 12, 2019, 1:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Hardly been given a sniff all season in the league though, has he? What is it, 1 start and then 10-15 minutes every other match? He's only really had a consistent run of starts twice and one of those coincided with his best form. Okay, he drew about 7 or 8 blanks but then he hit 3 in 5 games, with one of the other games in that run being the Tranmere game in which he played really well. Draws another blank and it's back to sporadic starts and 10-15 mins off the bench. Part of the reason these type of players leave us and do well elsewhere is that they get a fair crack of the whip. I'm not saying he's the answer to our problems, but I still don't want to write him off yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 96
lew chaterleys lover
November 12, 2019, 1:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 236
Vernam is another of our players who haven't an ounce of devilment in them.

Glides past a player or two and thinks job done.

Really he should be in our team because of his skill levels but there seems to be zero will to win. Cardwell is another perfect example - he would be better as a choir boy rather than a division 4 centre forward.

I love skilful players and would always build a team around them, but they also need a cast iron will to win or it all goes to waste.

All these problems can be laid at the manager's door - he is supposed to be managing a team to win football matches but we hardly ever shoot, never get in the box, never reach the byeline, are always on the back foot, always cautious. We need a change of manager.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 96
MuddyWaters
November 12, 2019, 4:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,242
Gold Stars: 235

Really he should be in our team because of his skill levels but there seems to be zero will to win. Cardwell is another perfect example - he would be better as a choir boy rather than a division 4 centre forward.

I love skilful players and would always build a team around them, but they also need a cast iron will to win or it all goes to waste.

All these problems can be laid at the manager's door - he is supposed to be managing a team to win football matches but we hardly ever shoot, never get in the box, never reach the byeline, are always on the back foot, always cautious. We need a change of manager.

He seems to me to be the type of player who would get into a Bignot team but not a Jolley/Hurst/Slade team. Make of that what you like.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 96
KingstonMariner
November 12, 2019, 4:28pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Civvy at last

Hasn’t he got to sort out Brexit first  

Hell, miracles he can do but not that

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 96
chaos33
November 12, 2019, 5:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360

Agree strongly with all that, apart from the final sentence. I’m not quite there yet.

Vernam is like many of our players, although not all. In the team one week and out the next. Then maybe 10 minutes  in a position that isn’t yours, and then out again. I blame the manager and the players for that. Too much tinkering but then too many who’s performance levels are below par or inconsistent. Collectively, the squad and management have joint responsibility for the pattern of substandard performance of the last few weeks. I think we should be aspiring to better and demanding higher standards than those being shown.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 96
Teestogreen
November 12, 2019, 5:19pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -152
Gold Stars: 23

Getting Falkingham from Harrogate in would be  a start. Very impressed - reminded me of Joe Waters last night.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 96
diehardmariner
November 13, 2019, 12:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,612
Gold Stars: 538

Sums it up perfectly.  A 'nice' player.

We only really have Max Wright as someone who isn't afraid to get the bull by the horns and go at teams.  To an extent Rose can do it, but not like Wright.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 96
Les Brechin
November 13, 2019, 1:05pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,710
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Teestogreen

Getting Falkingham from Harrogate in would be  a start. Very impressed - reminded me of Joe Waters last night.

Now that is high praise indeed. To liken a non-league player to, in my eyes, one of the best midfielders to ever play for us, he must really have been something special.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 96
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Vernam joins Chorley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.