Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Sigone, November 8, 2019, 5:02pm
Short term loan deal
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 8, 2019, 5:09pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from Sigone
Short term loan deal

Let's hope he bangs in a few goals & comes back sharper. He's clearly lacking game time and another couple of Saturdays off looming.
Posted by: Rik e B, November 8, 2019, 6:17pm; Reply: 2
It's needed.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 8, 2019, 6:43pm; Reply: 3
He's going to be needed here and in form with our games starting to stack up...still think there's a good player in there somewhere, not sure why or where's it gone wrong for him with us but he's just not shown the quality since signing permanently that he showed during his loan spell..
Still only 23 so plenty of time to get his sparkle back..
Posted by: Poojah, November 8, 2019, 6:46pm; Reply: 4
From trials at AC Milan to Chorley. I like Vernam but that’s a worrying Benjamin Buttoning of a career.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 8, 2019, 6:49pm; Reply: 5
Good, should have took Cardwell with him
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 8, 2019, 6:52pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from HertsGTFC

If anyone needed a loan spell it's cardwell, only issue is he's a Jolley prodigy and Jolley wants him with him...
Posted by: Abdul19, November 8, 2019, 6:54pm; Reply: 7
Or no other club wants him with them.(...)
Posted by: golfer, November 8, 2019, 8:05pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Thought you were a posh Londoner Herts who could speak proper like  :)
Posted by: Rik e B, November 8, 2019, 8:08pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

If anyone needed a loan spell scrapping it's cardwell,

Ammended.

Don't enjoy dissing players and try not to, but he just doesn't cut the mustard and can't see any sign he ever will.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 8, 2019, 8:19pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Rik e B

Ammended.

Don't enjoy dissing players and try not to, but he just doesn't cut the mustard and can't see any sign he ever will.

He's a million miles away from being a football league player. Not that young either.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 8, 2019, 8:27pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from fishboyUTM

He's a million miles away from being a football league player. Not that young either.

As long as I've got a hole in my ar$e he's not a league player .. conference north at best...we've let better go  including some of Bignotts signings..
Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 8, 2019, 8:44pm; Reply: 12

As long as I've got a hole in my ar$e he's not a league player .. conference north at best...we've let better go  including some of Bignotts signings..

Without a doubt. I've played with better players in Sunday league.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 8, 2019, 8:47pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from fishboyUTM

Without a doubt. I've played with better players in Sunday league.

We let Robles go, he had more to offer than cardwell...let's be honest, the boys useless, no it's, no buts, he's crud ..don't like saying that about a young footballer but he is not anything more than sunday pub league..
Posted by: Abdul19, November 8, 2019, 8:49pm; Reply: 14
2 days ago you said Robles was the worst player you'd ever seen  ;D
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 8, 2019, 8:54pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Abdul19
2 days ago you said Robles was the worst player you'd ever seen  ;D

Yep, I'd forgotten about cardwell until I was reminded tonight.  
Worrying thing is they were both signed by Jolley, I know it's a given that cardwell was already here but given an extension by MJ...
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 8, 2019, 8:55pm; Reply: 16

If anyone needed a loan spell it's cardwell, only issue is he's a Jolley prodigy and Jolley wants him with him...

Can’t say I’m comfortable with the thought of Cardwell on our bench tomorrow whilst Charlie is getting cup tied at Chorley.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 8, 2019, 9:00pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Can’t say I’m comfortable with the thought of Cardwell on our bench tomorrow whilst Charlie is getting cup tied at Chorley.

Absolutely OC, Vernham offered you something off the bench where as Cardwell offers you knack all
Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 8, 2019, 9:10pm; Reply: 18
Vernam is absolute quality. He has been played out of position by MJ pretty much the whole time he's been at the club. If he played in a 4-4-2 up front with a target man like Hanson he would score bucket loads. Let's hope he plays as a striker for Chorley for a month and returns five or six goals, trouble is Chorley appear to be absolutely shite.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 8, 2019, 9:43pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from fishboyUTM
Vernam is absolute quality. He has been played out of position by MJ pretty much the whole time he's been at the club. If he played in a 4-4-2 up front with a target man like Hanson he would score bucket loads. Let's hope he plays as a striker for Chorley for a month and returns five or six goals, trouble is Chorley appear to be absolutely shite.

I would like to agree because I do think Vernam has talent. But the lad is not a natural striker who will get goals like Podge does, and he never seems to have the stamina to play a full 90 minutes at full pelt even when fit.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 8, 2019, 9:46pm; Reply: 20
This could well be a make or break move for vernham.When I saw him at Cambridge 2-3 years ago I thought we'd got a real live wire player, but I haven't really seen him do too much since. Hope it works for him and for us
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 8, 2019, 10:16pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from golfer

Thought you were a posh Londoner Herts who could speak proper like  :)

He’s a Stevenage boy, what do you expect

😉
Posted by: golfer, November 9, 2019, 7:11am; Reply: 22
"Most of our players are good players but how many are good players on the same day"  -  Confucius say.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 9, 2019, 9:09am; Reply: 23

I would like to agree because I do think Vernam has talent. But the lad is not a natural striker who will get goals like Podge does, and he never seems to have the stamina to play a full 90 minutes at full pelt even when fit.

I think he is a natural striker. I think he needs to play alongside someone with physicality and isn't suited to teams who play with just the one central centre forward, which unfortunately for him is the fashion at the moment. If we played a proper 4-3-3 with the inside forwards closer to Hanson then he may do well, trouble is we don't and the inside forwards are so wide they isolate Hanson.

Maybe a month on loan will do him the world of good and he can come back and hit the ground running. I really do believe he has real talent, I can see him being released in June and going on to be a top player in league one.
Posted by: Meza, November 9, 2019, 9:20am; Reply: 24

Maybe he's still struggling with shinsplints (I've had them and takes ages for it to go away) and MJ has chosen not to mention it?
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 9, 2019, 9:50am; Reply: 25
Quoted from golfer
"Most of our players are good players but how many are good players on the same day"  -  Confucius say.

That's the wrong one. You are thinking of Confused.com

Posted by: Heisenberg, November 9, 2019, 9:50am; Reply: 26
Quoted from Meza

Maybe he's still struggling with shinsplints (I've had them and takes ages for it to go away) and MJ has chosen not to mention it?

There seems to be plenty that MJ doesn’t talk about.....
Posted by: moosey_club, November 9, 2019, 2:21pm; Reply: 27
Vernam has done naff all for us in reality. He got the hook at half time in his last appearance and did absolutely nothing in that 45 minutes, did virtually nothing against the Sunderland U23's B Team and has consistently shown he has about 20 mins worth of input in a game when he does get a chance and invariably runs into cul de sacs when he has the ball.
Never fulfilled the potential or shown the consistency of performance IMO.

Some on the ball skill he definately has but that alone doesnt mean he should be the first choice player some suddenly seem to think he should be.

Posted by: Abdul19, November 9, 2019, 5:00pm; Reply: 28
Played 63 minutes in Chorley's 1-0 loss at Mansfield
Posted by: chaos33, November 9, 2019, 10:55pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from fishboyUTM

I think he is a natural striker. I think he needs to play alongside someone with physicality and isn't suited to teams who play with just the one central centre forward, which unfortunately for him is the fashion at the moment. If we played a proper 4-3-3 with the inside forwards closer to Hanson then he may do well, trouble is we don't and the inside forwards are so wide they isolate Hanson.

Maybe a month on loan will do him the world of good and he can come back and hit the ground running. I really do believe he has real talent, I can see him being released in June and going on to be a top player in league one.

As if. There is no way he will turn out to be a top player in L1. He hasn’t managed to show he is good enough to make a consistent impact on L2. Just a sad fact and many others have experienced the same. The evidence thus far  says he’s not good enough for league football.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 9, 2019, 11:22pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from moosey_club
Vernam has done naff all for us in reality. He got the hook at half time in his last appearance and did absolutely nothing in that 45 minutes, did virtually nothing against the Sunderland U23's B Team and has consistently shown he has about 20 mins worth of input in a game when he does get a chance and invariably runs into cul de sacs when he has the ball.
Never fulfilled the potential or shown the consistency of performance IMO.

Some on the ball skill he definately has but that alone doesnt mean he should be the first choice player some suddenly seem to think he should be.

He’s one of a few that have regressed under MJ add to the list Clifton, Cooke and arguably Hendrie. Ring hasn’t had the opportunity to establish himself as Foxy’s replacement and Cardwell should have gone out on a long term loan at the start of the season
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, November 10, 2019, 3:10pm; Reply: 31
Think we have seen the last of him in a Town shirt? Permanent move out in January (or loan).

[To make way for the half dozen players Jolly has lined up in the next window.]
Posted by: golfer, November 10, 2019, 4:55pm; Reply: 32
I don't think he will be very successful at Chorley - the step up in class may be beyond him.
Posted by: golfer, November 10, 2019, 4:59pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from HertsGTFC

He’s one of a few that have regressed under MJ add to the list Clifton, Cooke and arguably Hendrie. Ring hasn’t had the opportunity to establish himself as Foxy’s replacement and Cardwell should have gone out on a long term loan at the start of the season

I would use the training ground to see if Ring could replace Whitehouse-one of our weak links. Couldn't be any worse.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 10, 2019, 5:15pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from chaos33

As if. There is no way he will turn out to be a top player in L1. He hasn’t managed to show he is good enough to make a consistent impact on L2. Just a sad fact and many others have experienced the same. The evidence thus far  says he’s not good enough for league football.

In some ways I agree it's unlikely but then I think of players like Alex Rodman

Vernam reminds me of him a little...not saying they're exactly like for like but I'd say some similarities

When Rodman joined us he was 26 and had had a far from illustrious career but since leaving us he's done ok for himself and it would seem he's not out of his depth in League One at all
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 10, 2019, 5:36pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

In some ways I agree it's unlikely but then I think of players like Alex Rodman

Vernam reminds me of him a little...not saying they're exactly like for like but I'd say some similarities

When Rodman joined us he was 26 and had had a far from illustrious career but since leaving us he's done ok for himself and it would seem he's not out of his depth in League One at all

To be honest the number of decent players that have slipped through our fingers over the last few years is staggering. I suppose the best example being Amond.

A first eleven comprised of those we have let go, or didn't do enough to keep, would be far better than the current team. There is something toxic about GTFC which we cannot seem to shake off. A revolving door of players, mostly average but some better ones and we are in exactly the position we started in - bottom end of division 4.
Posted by: diehardmariner, November 11, 2019, 3:27pm; Reply: 36
Not quite sure I agree that Vernam will be a top player in League One but the decision to loan him out is an odd one, loaning any striker out is odd when we're so timid in attack at the minute.

The service is awful to the front two/three at the minute but surely the time has come for both Green and Hanson to have extended rests?  Neither is offering anything other than coming back for corners.  

If nothing else, Vernam offers something different in that he can at least get on the ball and go past a player.  That all said he's had long enough to make an impression with us and he hasn't.  I agree with whoever said that he'll be on his way permanently in January.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, November 11, 2019, 7:41pm; Reply: 37
I literally have no idea what his best position is.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, November 11, 2019, 7:48pm; Reply: 38
Anyone know how he actually got on during his 63 mins?
Posted by: moosey_club, November 11, 2019, 8:01pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Anyone know how he actually got on during his 63 mins?

scored 6, assisted for 5, with Southgate watching on,  tripled the attendance, cured a crippled man in the crowd, served pies at half time , kissed a few babies and is now Mayor of Chorley.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 11, 2019, 8:11pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from moosey_club

scored 6, assisted for 5, with Southgate watching on,  tripled the attendance, cured a crippled man in the crowd, served pies at half time , kissed a few babies and is now Mayor of Chorley.

Wells he's not up to much then if he can't part the waves, feed the starving millions with fish n bred or walk on water!!
Posted by: moosey_club, November 11, 2019, 8:16pm; Reply: 41

Wells he's not up to much then if he can't part the waves, feed the starving millions with fish n bred or walk on water!!

That was in the diary for today after he had found a sustainable solution to the fossil fuel crisis ..
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 11, 2019, 8:18pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from horsforthmariner
I literally have no idea what his best position is.

Welcome to the Fishy Michael 🤪
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 11, 2019, 8:19pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from moosey_club

;D.....brilliant

Posted by: Civvy at last, November 11, 2019, 8:30pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from moosey_club

That was in the diary for today after he had found a sustainable solution to the fossil fuel crisis ..

Hasn’t he got to sort out Brexit first  ;)
Posted by: moosey_club, November 11, 2019, 8:32pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Civvy at last

That is Zlatan territory
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, November 11, 2019, 9:11pm; Reply: 46
I’m afraid he’s another player who promised a lot but has not lived up to it . A major injury in his early stages at derby seems to have done the damage . It’s a shame as he looked like there was a player in him but in a couple of years he’s done nothing really - time to go and replace him with someone else .
Posted by: Rik e B, November 11, 2019, 9:17pm; Reply: 47
I concur, I have no idea what his best position is.

And without reading back, I'm guessing the outlandish claims of excellence are taking a poke at the 'he's the cure to all our woes' accolades that go to any player that not involved?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 11, 2019, 9:19pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
I’m afraid he’s another player who promised a lot but has not lived up to it . A major injury in his early stages at derby seems to have done the damage . It’s a shame as he looked like there was a player in him but in a couple of years he’s done nothing really - time to go and replace him with someone else .

Given that he hasn’t been given much of a chance this season, I suspect he’s on his way. That said, he could have contributed far more than several on Saturday.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 11, 2019, 9:35pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Rik e B
I concur, I have no idea what his best position is.

And without reading back, I'm guessing the outlandish claims of excellence are taking a poke at the 'he's the cure to all our woes' accolades that go to any player that not involved?

Is that the same theory that makes those who get picked deteriorate?
Posted by: Abdul19, November 11, 2019, 9:47pm; Reply: 50
I'm already looking forward to his 18 minute Boxing Day cameo at left wing back
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 12, 2019, 1:09pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Abdul19
I'm already looking forward to his 18 minute Boxing Day cameo at left wing back

I think there's more chance of it being a  1.8  minute cameo..... bringing subs on at the death is a sure fire way of us returning to winning ways isn't it?
Posted by: Son of Cod, November 12, 2019, 1:32pm; Reply: 52
Hardly been given a sniff all season in the league though, has he? What is it, 1 start and then 10-15 minutes every other match? He's only really had a consistent run of starts twice and one of those coincided with his best form. Okay, he drew about 7 or 8 blanks but then he hit 3 in 5 games, with one of the other games in that run being the Tranmere game in which he played really well. Draws another blank and it's back to sporadic starts and 10-15 mins off the bench. Part of the reason these type of players leave us and do well elsewhere is that they get a fair crack of the whip. I'm not saying he's the answer to our problems, but I still don't want to write him off yet.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 12, 2019, 1:49pm; Reply: 53
Vernam is another of our players who haven't an ounce of devilment in them.

Glides past a player or two and thinks job done.

Really he should be in our team because of his skill levels but there seems to be zero will to win. Cardwell is another perfect example - he would be better as a choir boy rather than a division 4 centre forward.

I love skilful players and would always build a team around them, but they also need a cast iron will to win or it all goes to waste.

All these problems can be laid at the manager's door - he is supposed to be managing a team to win football matches but we hardly ever shoot, never get in the box, never reach the byeline, are always on the back foot, always cautious. We need a change of manager.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 12, 2019, 4:02pm; Reply: 54

Really he should be in our team because of his skill levels but there seems to be zero will to win. Cardwell is another perfect example - he would be better as a choir boy rather than a division 4 centre forward.

I love skilful players and would always build a team around them, but they also need a cast iron will to win or it all goes to waste.

All these problems can be laid at the manager's door - he is supposed to be managing a team to win football matches but we hardly ever shoot, never get in the box, never reach the byeline, are always on the back foot, always cautious. We need a change of manager.

He seems to me to be the type of player who would get into a Bignot team but not a Jolley/Hurst/Slade team. Make of that what you like.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 12, 2019, 4:28pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Civvy at last

Hell, miracles he can do but not that
Posted by: chaos33, November 12, 2019, 5:14pm; Reply: 56

Agree strongly with all that, apart from the final sentence. I’m not quite there yet.

Vernam is like many of our players, although not all. In the team one week and out the next. Then maybe 10 minutes  in a position that isn’t yours, and then out again. I blame the manager and the players for that. Too much tinkering but then too many who’s performance levels are below par or inconsistent. Collectively, the squad and management have joint responsibility for the pattern of substandard performance of the last few weeks. I think we should be aspiring to better and demanding higher standards than those being shown.
Posted by: Teestogreen, November 12, 2019, 5:19pm; Reply: 57

Getting Falkingham from Harrogate in would be  a start. Very impressed - reminded me of Joe Waters last night.

Posted by: diehardmariner, November 13, 2019, 12:38pm; Reply: 58

Sums it up perfectly.  A 'nice' player.

We only really have Max Wright as someone who isn't afraid to get the bull by the horns and go at teams.  To an extent Rose can do it, but not like Wright.
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 13, 2019, 1:05pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Teestogreen

Getting Falkingham from Harrogate in would be  a start. Very impressed - reminded me of Joe Waters last night.

Now that is high praise indeed. To liken a non-league player to, in my eyes, one of the best midfielders to ever play for us, he must really have been something special.
Posted by: Maringer, November 13, 2019, 4:43pm; Reply: 60
I don't think Jolley knows Vernam's best position, but then I don't think Vernam does, either.

He's reasonably quick and has some decent close control when running with the ball, but he tends to drift in and out of games too much, runs into deadends, is lightweight and badly lacking when it comes to stamina.

You're going to struggle to find a place to play in the lower divisions if you're not a wide player and can't play as a central striker. Would be nice to be proved wrong but it doesn't look like he's going to establish himself in the team any time soon.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 15, 2019, 3:11pm; Reply: 61
Bet you he's trying to get back now Jolleys gone!!
Posted by: Croxton, November 16, 2019, 12:39pm; Reply: 62
Chesterfield v Chorley  3 p.m. K.O.

Would be tempted if : -

1. I knew that CV is starting.
2. Ticket even for boomers (65+) wasn't £14.95 plus £1 from ticket office if not online.

Only live in Sheffield, it's stopped raining, brilliant view and facilities at Proact Stadium...... still an option.
Posted by: ROKERITE, November 16, 2019, 3:22pm; Reply: 63
and he's scored already!
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, November 16, 2019, 4:54pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from ROKERITE
and he's scored already!

Got two now
Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 17, 2019, 7:41am; Reply: 65
I dream of a 4-4-2 with Vernam wearing the number 9 shirt next to Hanson. He'd bang them in now Mr Negative has gone. Let him finish his loan, then he can hit the ground running.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 17, 2019, 8:30am; Reply: 66
My only concern is this...
Has Charles found a level where he can succeed/excel??....
We've been in that dog doo league and have had players who looked like world beaters playing for us yet once they've stepped up to league football they've fell woefully short of the required standard ..
Really like Vernham and when he's "up for it" looks class yet every game he floats in and out and never given us 90 minutes of consistency...you could almost sat he's like having a luxury player, something we can't afford to have in a squad that's thin on numbers and now struggling for confidence...
Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 17, 2019, 8:38am; Reply: 67
He's been out of position on the right wing. Simple as that. Get him next to a target man and he will thrive in a 4-4-2.
Posted by: Croxton, November 17, 2019, 9:00am; Reply: 68
My only concern is this...
Has Charles found a level where he can succeed/excel??....
We've been in that dog doo league and have had players who looked like world beaters playing for us yet once they've stepped up to league football they've fell woefully short of the required standard ..
Really like Vernham and when he's "up for it" looks class yet every game he floats in and out and never given us 90 minutes of consistency...you could almost sat he's like having a luxury player, something we can't afford to have in a squad that's thin on numbers and now struggling for confidence...

I saw 82 minutes of graft and goals yesterday. Chesterfield relied too much on huge target man Denton and failed to get crosses in quick enough. They only got back into it through a worldy from Weston. Chorley are a hard working passing team without a goal threat... until CV arrived. It was telling that their other goal came from the impressive CB Courtney Meppen Walters.
Martin Smith, loanee from Salford, had excellent delivery and Alex Newby ran the midfield. Newby needs watching as his skill set is everything we have been missing in terms of retaining possession and threading passes to forwards.
Chorley lack a degree of physicality but play much more like a Buckley side than a regular non league hoof. Very entertaining for neutrals but uncomfortable sitting on the Spireite Kop!  
Newby has a Youtube video from last year. I'd offer a swap for Whitehouse in January.
Posted by: Croxton, November 17, 2019, 9:07am; Reply: 69
Highlights

https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/match-info/match-centre/1-4488127
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 17, 2019, 9:08am; Reply: 70
Quoted from Croxton

I saw 82 minutes of graft and goals yesterday. Chesterfield relied too much on huge target man Denton and failed to get crosses in quick enough. They only got back into it through a worldy from Weston. Chorley are a hard working passing team without a goal threat... until CV arrived. It was telling that their other goal came from the impressive CB Courtney Meppen Walters.
Martin Smith, loanee from Salford, had excellent delivery and Alex Newby ran the midfield. Newby needs watching as his skill set is everything we have been missing in terms of retaining possession and threading passes to forwards.
Chorley lack a degree of physicality but play much more like a Buckley side than a regular non league hoof. Very entertaining for neutrals but uncomfortable sitting on the Spireite Kop!  
Newby has a Youtube video from last year. I'd offer a swap for Whitehouse in January.

In all honesty, did you see enough of CV that makes you think he has something to offer us and maybe just couldn't get going under MJs leadership??
Posted by: mariner91, November 17, 2019, 9:17am; Reply: 71
Quoted from Croxton

One of the most disappointing aspects of Jolley's tenure in my opinion was not coupling the approach of bringing through some promising youngsters of our own with looking at the best of what non-league has to offer. There are countless examples of players who have been released at a young age higher up the pyramid but then develop later whilst playing first team football outside of the FL and they often come much cheaper and have potential sell on value as well.

If we're going to continue to have such a terrible budget, we need to be maximising the pool of talent we draw from. Producing our own youngsters is great, worth the pay out and gives something for the fans to identify with. Being a team with a reputation for regularly playing youngsters who are on loan from higher up club is another good source and Jolley did both of these things pretty well. But we shouldn't stop searching non-league, there are loads of gems waiting to be found with a bit of patience and research.
Posted by: SomeSanity, November 17, 2019, 9:27am; Reply: 72
It’s all good and well everyone talking about Vernam in a 442.  As much as I agree with this idea, it falls flat when you realise we have no wingers. ;)
Posted by: Henryscat, November 17, 2019, 9:54am; Reply: 73
Quoted from SomeSanity
It’s all good and well everyone talking about Vernam in a 442.  As much as I agree with this idea, it falls flat when you realise we have no wingers. ;)

Watching the highlights he didn’t need a winger. Direct through ball for the first which he takes well and the second a pen.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 17, 2019, 9:54am; Reply: 74
Quoted from SomeSanity

I know mate, frustrating. I am a huge Vernam fan, I see potential that has been wasted with his chalk on the right touchline. But I wouldn't see him having the physicality required to play at the top of the three. He needs to play in a two, either Seb Ring wide in a 4-4-2 (Seb was a midfielder anyway), with Max Wright on the other flank, or maybe a 3-5-2 which we have the personel in the building already.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 17, 2019, 10:00am; Reply: 75
There’s no way Vernam is not a better player than Rose. I find it bizarre that he’s been involved so often in front of him. Rose is quick, but technically he’s hugely lacking. You only need to look at his cameo last week to see his huge weakness
Posted by: GollyGTFC, November 17, 2019, 10:08am; Reply: 76
Quoted from headingly_mariner
There’s no way Vernam is not a better player than Rose. I find it bizarre that he’s been involved so often in front of him. Rose is quick, but technically he’s hugely lacking. You only need to look at his cameo last week to see his huge weakness

But Rose works his knackers off. Vernam doesn't.

Vernam's goals yesterday actually make me more frustrated than desperate to have him back at GTFC. We all know he's more than capable of that. Ability isn't the issue with him.
Posted by: Bigdog, November 17, 2019, 12:01pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Vernam's goals yesterday actually make me more frustrated than desperate to have him back at GTFC. We all know he's more than capable of that. Ability isn't the issue with him.

Having a manager that gives him a good run of games would help. The lad's had very little chance with the amount of minutes he's had this season. Too few and sporadic for anyone to make any justified conclusions..
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 17, 2019, 12:21pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from GollyGTFC

The first sentence is just not true. Rose looks like a fish out of water without the ball and doesn't seem to know what to do.

Vernam in one way is similar, he wants the ball but often tries too hard to look for it rather than looking for space to receive it.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, November 17, 2019, 12:53pm; Reply: 79
Having watched those highlights it would be good if the Newport keeper had a similar game to Chesterfields and Chorleys.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 18, 2019, 1:43pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The first sentence is just not true. Rose looks like a fish out of water without the ball and doesn't seem to know what to do.

Vernam in one way is similar, he wants the ball but often tries too hard to look for it rather than looking for space to receive it.

I'd just like to say that Ahkeem and I do not resemble each other in the slightest...  ;)

To be honest though you're right about me not knowing what to do with the ball when I get it   ;D
Posted by: Alfie, November 20, 2019, 10:22pm; Reply: 81
This is starting to look even more stupid
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 20, 2019, 10:25pm; Reply: 82
Every game he doesn't play he'll get better on here. He would have made intercourse all difference tonight.
Posted by: Rik e B, November 21, 2019, 2:47am; Reply: 83
Spot on Rodley, always the case.
Posted by: sam gy, November 21, 2019, 12:16pm; Reply: 84
Anyone know if we can recall him?

All of a sudden we're very light on numbers up top, if Ogbu, Green and Hanson are out.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, November 21, 2019, 12:21pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from sam gy

All of a sudden we're very light on numbers up top, if Ogbu, Green and Hanson are out.

If none of the injured are back, Green injured and Pollock suspended all we are left with for Saturday are:-

McKeown
Hewitt  Davis  Waterfall Gibson
Clifton  Whitehouse  Hess  Robson
Cook  Rose

Bench : Russell  Cardwell and 5 youths (Or 4 plus Ring?)

Very light as you say.

Posted by: Abdul19, November 21, 2019, 4:24pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from sam gy

Can only recall 'emergency' loans after 28 days I think
Posted by: Rik e B, November 21, 2019, 7:18pm; Reply: 87
At least he's getting games and building up some match fitness and form. Could actually be useful to us upon his return rather than the headless chicken that left us.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, November 21, 2019, 8:14pm; Reply: 88
This site is so fickle.  One minute people are complaining that Rose isn’t playing and then he plays and he’s terrible apparently.

And then we complain that our squad looks thin because our 3 main strikers are injured.  Well hello what a surprise.

We have 5 or 6 first team players injured - that would hurt any side from Prem downwards.  I seem to remember people saying we needed a smaller squad but now are squad is too small.

Get a grip people
Posted by: Rik e B, November 21, 2019, 8:53pm; Reply: 89
It's very bad luck to have sent him out and then have such injuries. But are they really all injuries/illness or has something kicked off behind the scenes?

A mate of mine heard that Macca refused to play when he was out, dunno how believable that is like but I'm pretty sure something is well and truly amiss out of plain sight.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 21, 2019, 10:30pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from LondonMariner43
This site is so fickle.  One minute people are complaining that Rose isn’t playing and then he plays and he’s terrible apparently.

And then we complain that our squad looks thin because our 3 main strikers are injured.  Well hello what a surprise.

We have 5 or 6 first team players injured - that would hurt any side from Prem downwards.  I seem to remember people saying we needed a smaller squad but now are squad is too small.

Get a grip people

I think the manager and players need to get a grip.

2 wins in the last 16 games.
Posted by: Rik e B, November 21, 2019, 10:45pm; Reply: 91
Football fans are fickle in general.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 21, 2019, 10:53pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from sam gy

Can we appeal the alleged no recall during the loan, seeing as the bloke that put him out on loan has done one ?  :)

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 22, 2019, 11:21am; Reply: 93
From his point of view the lad is probably best where he is!

No doubt it would be handy to have him back and he might even get a start or two.

But he's not the messiah is he? If he was he would have been in the side for 90 minutes every game and not getting the chance is why he would have wanted the loan himself. Better to knock in a goal or two for Chorley than be part of the mess at BP just now.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 22, 2019, 11:43am; Reply: 94
The other thing to bear in mind is the Fenty comment about 'one in-one out' in January. We need to be trying to move on players who haven't worked out so whoever the new manager is can try to balance the squad a bot better.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 22, 2019, 12:40pm; Reply: 95
Quoted from Rik e B
It's very bad luck to have sent him out and then have such injuries. But are they really all injuries/illness or has something kicked off behind the scenes?

A mate of mine heard that Macca refused to play when he was out, dunno how believable that is like but I'm pretty sure something is well and truly amiss out of plain sight.

I heard that for the Newport game at BP Macca was very ill.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 22, 2019, 2:20pm; Reply: 96
From his point of view the lad is probably best where he is!

No doubt it would be handy to have him back and he might even get a start or two.

But he's not the messiah is he? If he was he would have been in the side for 90 minutes every game and not getting the chance is why he would have wanted the loan himself. Better to knock in a goal or two for Chorley than be part of the mess at BP just now.

No He's a very naughty boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plZRe1kPWZw
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 2:47am