Northbank Mariner
November 17, 2019, 9:08am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from Croxton

I saw 82 minutes of graft and goals yesterday. Chesterfield relied too much on huge target man Denton and failed to get crosses in quick enough. They only got back into it through a worldy from Weston. Chorley are a hard working passing team without a goal threat... until CV arrived. It was telling that their other goal came from the impressive CB Courtney Meppen Walters.
Martin Smith, loanee from Salford, had excellent delivery and Alex Newby ran the midfield. Newby needs watching as his skill set is everything we have been missing in terms of retaining possession and threading passes to forwards.
Chorley lack a degree of physicality but play much more like a Buckley side than a regular non league hoof. Very entertaining for neutrals but uncomfortable sitting on the Spireite Kop!  
Newby has a Youtube video from last year. I'd offer a swap for Whitehouse in January.

In all honesty, did you see enough of CV that makes you think he has something to offer us and maybe just couldn't get going under MJs leadership??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 96
mariner91
November 17, 2019, 9:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,249
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from Croxton

I saw 82 minutes of graft and goals yesterday. Chesterfield relied too much on huge target man Denton and failed to get crosses in quick enough. They only got back into it through a worldy from Weston. Chorley are a hard working passing team without a goal threat... until CV arrived. It was telling that their other goal came from the impressive CB Courtney Meppen Walters.
Martin Smith, loanee from Salford, had excellent delivery and Alex Newby ran the midfield. Newby needs watching as his skill set is everything we have been missing in terms of retaining possession and threading passes to forwards.
Chorley lack a degree of physicality but play much more like a Buckley side than a regular non league hoof. Very entertaining for neutrals but uncomfortable sitting on the Spireite Kop!  
Newby has a Youtube video from last year. I'd offer a swap for Whitehouse in January.

One of the most disappointing aspects of Jolley's tenure in my opinion was not coupling the approach of bringing through some promising youngsters of our own with looking at the best of what non-league has to offer. There are countless examples of players who have been released at a young age higher up the pyramid but then develop later whilst playing first team football outside of the FL and they often come much cheaper and have potential sell on value as well.

If we're going to continue to have such a terrible budget, we need to be maximising the pool of talent we draw from. Producing our own youngsters is great, worth the pay out and gives something for the fans to identify with. Being a team with a reputation for regularly playing youngsters who are on loan from higher up club is another good source and Jolley did both of these things pretty well. But we shouldn't stop searching non-league, there are loads of gems waiting to be found with a bit of patience and research.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 96
SomeSanity
November 17, 2019, 9:27am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +855
Gold Stars: 1
It’s all good and well everyone talking about Vernam in a 442.  As much as I agree with this idea, it falls flat when you realise we have no wingers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 96
Henryscat
November 17, 2019, 9:54am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
Quoted from SomeSanity
It’s all good and well everyone talking about Vernam in a 442.  As much as I agree with this idea, it falls flat when you realise we have no wingers.

Watching the highlights he didn’t need a winger. Direct through ball for the first which he takes well and the second a pen.

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 96
fishboyUTM
November 17, 2019, 9:54am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from SomeSanity

I know mate, frustrating. I am a huge Vernam fan, I see potential that has been wasted with his chalk on the right touchline. But I wouldn't see him having the physicality required to play at the top of the three. He needs to play in a two, either Seb Ring wide in a 4-4-2 (Seb was a midfielder anyway), with Max Wright on the other flank, or maybe a 3-5-2 which we have the personel in the building already.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 96
headingly_mariner
November 17, 2019, 10:00am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
There’s no way Vernam is not a better player than Rose. I find it bizarre that he’s been involved so often in front of him. Rose is quick, but technically he’s hugely lacking. You only need to look at his cameo last week to see his huge weakness
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 96
GollyGTFC
November 17, 2019, 10:08am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Quoted from headingly_mariner
There’s no way Vernam is not a better player than Rose. I find it bizarre that he’s been involved so often in front of him. Rose is quick, but technically he’s hugely lacking. You only need to look at his cameo last week to see his huge weakness

But Rose works his knackers off. Vernam doesn't.

Vernam's goals yesterday actually make me more frustrated than desperate to have him back at GTFC. We all know he's more than capable of that. Ability isn't the issue with him.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 76 - 96
Bigdog
November 17, 2019, 12:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Vernam's goals yesterday actually make me more frustrated than desperate to have him back at GTFC. We all know he's more than capable of that. Ability isn't the issue with him.

Having a manager that gives him a good run of games would help. The lad's had very little chance with the amount of minutes he's had this season. Too few and sporadic for anyone to make any justified conclusions..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 96
MuddyWaters
November 17, 2019, 12:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from GollyGTFC

The first sentence is just not true. Rose looks like a fish out of water without the ball and doesn't seem to know what to do.

Vernam in one way is similar, he wants the ball but often tries too hard to look for it rather than looking for space to receive it.
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 96
Madeleymariner
November 17, 2019, 12:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
Having watched those highlights it would be good if the Newport keeper had a similar game to Chesterfields and Chorleys.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 96
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Vernam joins Chorley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.