Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Was it really all forty years ago?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 317 Guests

Was it really all forty years ago?

This thread currently has 8,684 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Northbank Mariner
October 11, 2019, 8:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171

Did you get the red wine from Harry’s off-licence when he changed his retail?

No, but had the pleasure of chatting to him when he took over a BnB in Cleethorpes, what a gent....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 60
HertsGTFC
October 11, 2019, 8:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

As a keeper I remember my first pair....Sondico with dimply rubber on the fingers and palm...none of the finger braces or cushioning these new ones have...bought my first pair from Wainmans down freemo....ah, the memories...makes me all misty eyed, or is that the red wine???

I used to go in Harry’s shop a lot as a kid I always remember him being really nice to my mam and my nana who bless her was bonkers TBH.

He also got a relative of hours a signed program from the Liverpool cup tie as he couldn’t go due to illness.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 60
Northbank Mariner
October 11, 2019, 8:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I used to go in Harry’s shop a lot as a kid I always remember him being really nice to my mam and my nana who bless her was bonkers TBH.

He also got a relative of hours a signed program from the Liverpool cup tie as he couldn’t go due to illness.

Also my first pair of puma trainers from there, wish I could remember the marque but unfortunately I'm now red wines out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 60
Northbank Mariner
October 11, 2019, 8:41pm
Whiskey Drinker

Also my first pair of puma trainers from there, wish I could remember the marque but unfortunately I'm now red wines out.

PUMA TUNIS....it's come to me like an epiphany
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 60
KingstonMariner
October 11, 2019, 11:44pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

PUMA TUNIS....it's come to me like an epiphany

I've never had a pair of Puma Tunis or had an epiphany but I once knew a lass with an epic f.... and a Pumis that smelt of Tuna.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 60
FishOutOfWater
October 12, 2019, 7:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from cannylad68
When you consider we had 3 of the best strikers in that league at the time, 2 who went on to be England Under 21 internationals.
We WERE spoilt.

I assume that the two Under 21 internationals you mention are Gary Lund & Paul Wilkinson but it was 3 or years later that they made their debuts so would have been nowhere near the first team squad in our Championship winning season

When they came along though I do remember them keeping Kev Drinkell out of the side in some games.... what a situation to have to deal with as Town manager where you had to leave one player out because we were spoilt for choice with such quality

It's got me wondering what happened to Kevin Kilmore and who he moved on to because he played a good part in our 79-80 promotion but maybe he just didn't have what it takes to play in the second tier as the others did
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 55 - 60
Les Brechin
October 12, 2019, 8:09pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,701
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

It's got me wondering what happened to Kevin Kilmore and who he moved on to because he played a good part in our 79-80 promotion but maybe he just didn't have what it takes to play in the second tier as the others did

Kilmore linked up again with Geoge Kerr at Rotherham when he left us.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 60
FishOutOfWater
October 12, 2019, 8:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Les Brechin

Kilmore linked up again with Geoge Kerr at Rotherham when he left us.

I had a feeling he went there Les but couldn't say for sure - thanks for confirming

Funny that he played no small part in the 79-80 season but often his contribution gets overlooked.... maybe because of his Scunny upbringing  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 57 - 60
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 12, 2019, 10:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I had a feeling he went there Les but couldn't say for sure - thanks for confirming

Funny that he played no small part in the 79-80 season but often his contribution gets overlooked.... maybe because of his Scunny upbringing  

Pretty sure he also played for Lincoln with Batch and Cummings in late eighties. Seem to recall he was at one time pub landlord in Louth but not sure if that’s still the case.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 60
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 13, 2019, 12:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Pretty sure he also played for Lincoln with Batch and Cummings in late eighties. Seem to recall he was at one time pub landlord in Louth but not sure if that’s still the case.

Could be wrong but wasn’t Kev Kilmore licensee on Wybers for a short while?

Thinking of strikers around this time, local ones included Jim Lumby in the mid-70s and then of course Terry Donovan. Tony Ford also played as striker for quite a long time and had a good goal scoring record in the position.

Kilmore was a surprise signing but at the time there was a lot of rumour about Kev Drinkell leaving so I suspect Kilmore was signed as insurance. The same might be said about Trevor Wymark who did a lot to make Paul Wilkinson into a proper striker.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Was it really all forty years ago?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.