Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Was it really all forty years ago?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 187 Guests

Was it really all forty years ago?

This thread currently has 8,685 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
cannylad68
October 9, 2019, 3:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Great post Jock.
In my opinion, that was the best ever Town team, and I go back before Shankly.
I was honoured to have a drink with Mick Brolly after the Everton match when he scored 2 goals.
He was so modest.
He did say that training was so boring, as George made them do the same moves over and over again.
That way they knew were their team mates where without looking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 60
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 9, 2019, 4:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
It was a great side, the product of 3 managers. Tom Casey who was very underrated and was the one to give youth a chance, Then John Newman who knew how to build a side that was an effective team unit and got us out of the bottom tier. And good old George Kerr who had the common sense to leave the main things alone after Newman left. It was my favourite Town team too, for the same reasons as other people have said - so much local connection. So many fans knew so many of the players personally.

We kept the momentum going for `the first year in Div 2 but then lost our way until Dave Booth brought in Chris Nicholl and the side got a sort of second wind in 1983-4 when we really were in with a genuine chance of promotion to Div One until the last month of the season.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 60
Les Brechin
October 9, 2019, 4:19pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,708
Gold Stars: 174
It was a great side, the product of 3 managers. Tom Casey who was very underrated and was the one to give youth a chance, Then John Newman who knew how to build a side that was an effective team unit and got us out of the bottom tier. And good old George Kerr who had the common sense to leave the main things alone after Newman left. It was my favourite Town team too, for the same reasons as other people have said - so much local connection. So many fans knew so many of the players personally.

We kept the momentum going for `the first year in Div 2 but then lost our way until Dave Booth brought in Chris Nicholl and the side got a sort of second wind in 1983-4 when we really were in with a genuine chance of promotion to Div One until the last month of the season.

Didn't we finish 5th that season. We were right up there until late on but we only won one of the last 5 matches I think,

In this day and age we'd have been in the play-offs for The Premiership.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 60
FishOutOfWater
October 9, 2019, 4:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Les Brechin

Didn't we finish 5th that season. We were right up there until late on but we only won one of the last 5 matches I think,

In this day and age we'd have been in the play-offs for The Premiership.

You’re not wrong Les

Our last six matches W1 D2 L3

If we’d not lost the last game at home to Chelsea we’d have finished 4th place with Man City in 5th instead of us

As Chelsea won 1-0 they took the title and Sheffield Wednesday were runners up

I recall at the time some saying it was better that Wednesday didn’t take the top spot because of the match at Hillsborough a few weeks before where we lost to a dodgy penalty

Just  thinking back now, so close to the automatic promotion places is one hell of an achievement in itself

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 60
KingstonMariner
October 9, 2019, 4:57pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Sadly I missed out on that season and the ones either side. I’d started going in 1971 but by the late 70s I’d lost interest. I was too stubborn to jump on the bandwagon when things started getting good. My life’s biggest regret.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 60
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 9, 2019, 5:24pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
It was such a pity that the wrangling on the board killed off that era.

Edit - and signing Lyons.  

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 60
October 9, 2019, 5:26pm
Guest User
Hey, what memories. I played in the same team with 3 of the players. Sat next to one at school and kept one of them out of a game as I'd done well when replaced him. He did have flu and was two years younger though. Wigginton came back to us and was awesome. I missed the Hull game as I was in hospital but Cawthorne played his one and only game. Whilst in hospital I had a visit from Bob Mitchell and Gary Liddell. I remember Charles Ekberg commentating. It was usually back then. He always seemed to uck missing usually starting Ffffffffff Brolly missed again.
Reply: 16 - 60
tintowner
October 9, 2019, 5:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +603
Gold Stars: 20
I was 16 years old and  can still remember that season like it was yesterday.
That last game against Sheffield United.......stood in the Barratt Stand  .....what memories.

Oh......and I've had the moniker below since I started on the Fishy........ a truly fantastic squad of players.

Batch, K.Moore, Waters, Wiggington, Crombie, Brolly, Ford, Drinkell, Mitchell, Cumming, Kilmore. D.Moore, Stone, Liddell. ....1979/80..... now that WAS a team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 60
Garth
October 9, 2019, 5:46pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Great memories, I was at all of those games, Hurst was right when he said we were spoilt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 60
A.l.f.
October 9, 2019, 6:12pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
Yes - your post brought back so many happy memories, the main one being sat in the big stand with the Wolves regulars at the end of full time prior to extra time.  Seeing my black and white scarf, many Wolves fans declared that we were by far the best team that we'd played so far that season.  We battered them in extra time but just couldn't find the winner.
The last match against Sheff Utd was the most one sided game ever and should have been about 12-0 not 4-0.
What a great team we had at that time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Was it really all forty years ago?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.