Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: jock dock tower, October 9, 2019, 11:58am
The 1979-80 season was probably Grimsby's best ever post WW2 season. Having been promoted from the old Fourth Division the previous season like most Town fans I was eagerly anticipating this season as we had such an exciting team, with good home grown players throughout. Dave and Kev Moore, Clive Wiggington, Tony Ford, Kevin Drinkell, Phil Crosby and Shaun Mawer. Players who had come through the youth team as well, sch as Nigel Batch and Bob Cumming meant this club had a real attachment with the fans.

The omens were good, certainly at the start of the season with two home wins where we scored four goals both times versus Exeter and Blackpool, and as Plymouth were also put to the sword 1-0 in the next home game Town were sat up with the top sides after just five games. It wouldn't be Town though without making fans sweat and swear, and just one win and one draw in the next five games saw the club plummet down the table. A 1-0 away win at Gillingham steadied the ship, but normal service was resumed at Hillsborough as we lost 2-0. It was surely going to be one of those mid table finish seasons? No, three successive wins against Rotherham, Exeter again, and Sheffield Wednesday (in front of 14,000 fans) An away defeat at Southend followed these before Town upped a gear for the rest of the season. Another winning run, this time five in succession and letting in just the one goal saw the club soar back up the table, before promotion rivals Blackburn came and won 2-1 at Blundell Park.

Despite the run Town were still not packing Blundell Park, but the attendances were slowly climbing, and after a rare defeat, away to Colchester at the start of February Town went on to win ten and draw 5 of their remaining fifteen games. The game against Swindon, who were also one of the frontrunners drew a crowd of over 12,500, then came that memorable away game at Chesterfield with 14,000 packed into Saltergate, with a good number of Town fans scaling the floodlights to get a better view. Easter saw successive victories at home to Carlisle 2-0 with 15,000 in BP, before heading into South Yorkshire with a huge away following to Oakwell to see Mike Brolly score the only goal of the game. The Hully gullies ensured a gate of 18,000 plus at BP and saw them leave with a surprising 1-1 draw. The title would go down to the wire, and when Sheffield United - with Argentinian Alex Sabella in their side - came to BP on the last day of the season a Kevin Drinkell hat trick and a Joe Waters wonder goal saw us win 4-0 and bring the title to BP. What a day, and one that anyone who was there will surely never forget?

Not only were we doing wonders in the League we almost got to Wembley as well in the League Cup. This was the season of course that we beat Everton 2-1 at home in front of 23,000 fans to set up a quarter final tie against Wolves. Only the width of the woodwork stopped Kevin Moore from scoring in the dying seconds. An amazing night out at Molineux when another huge following swelled the crowd to over 28,000 (Wolves fifth highest crowd of the season after the local derbies against WBA and Villa, plus the obvious ones vs Man Utd, Liverpool and Spurs) saw us secure a 1-1 draw to go to a second replay where we were fairly comprehensively beaten 2-0 at the old Baseball Ground. Maybe that wasn't such a bad thing though, as Swindon provided the opposition to Wolves. At the time Swindon were favourites for the tile, but they took their eyes off the league with the promise of maybe getting to Wembley and fell away alarmingly.

The FA Cup saw THAT away day at Anfield where we were soundly beaten 5-0. This wasn't about the result though, this was all about the day out, and what a day - unless your had a black and white scarf on in the Kop, of course.

It was an unbelievable season. Passion and skill saw us overcome some big hurdles, and the backing of the fans, especially when a second successive promotion became a possibility was amazing. I know I'll never see their like again due to living in Scotland now, and also my age, but these things do happen. It would just be so wonderful to see such days return to the Town again.
Posted by: GrimExile, October 9, 2019, 12:22pm; Reply: 1
Brilliant post, you’ve made me all misty eyed!! What a great side that was. I was lucky enough to be at the Everton game (Brolly 2 if I remember correctly) and also the 4-0 to be crowned as champions. Great memories and thanks for that Jock.
Posted by: Ipswin, October 9, 2019, 1:37pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from jock dock tower
. The title would go down to the wire, and when Sheffield United - with Argentinian Alex Sabella in their side - came to BP on the last day of the season a Kevin Drinkell hat trick and a Joe Waters wonder goal saw us win 4-0 and bring the title to BOP. What a day, and one that anyone who was there will surely never foregt?

I'll never forget it, we left Grimsby and moved to Ipswich three days later! That championship winning game was my last as a season ticket holder

Posted by: Les Brechin, October 9, 2019, 1:49pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Ipswin

I'll never forget it, we left Grimsby and moved to Ipswich three days later! That championship winning game was my last as a season ticket holder

You'd better buy a bloody season ticket again then!!  ;)
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 9, 2019, 1:53pm; Reply: 4
I moved away from Grimsby that season and haven't lived there since

I often wonder if I'd still be as passionate about Town now if I'd not been coming back every weekend from December 79 to that final conclusion the following May

I "just couldn't seem to get enough of" us that season and a more or less weekly 350 mile round trip back to GY was a small price to pay for witnessing us go up as Champions

If we'd not been so successful would I have made the same effort? Maybe but maybe not if we'd just had a mediocre season that petered out in to a mid table finish

Thankfully we just kept on getting better and better, not only into 1980, but the following season too so my Mariners fixes were a necessity

When I get to look back on my time watching Town, this particular season has to be one of THE best, especially when I think just a few years earlier I'd been playing with a few of the squad when we were at Wintringham together

UTM  ATAW  GTID
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 9, 2019, 2:12pm; Reply: 5
The following season wasn't bad either. We came very close to being the first team to go from Division 4 to Division 1 in consecutive seasons, a feat which still hasn't been done today.

We were especially solid at home. I think we'd only conceded 4 goals at home all season before West Ham came to BP near the end of the season and turned us over 5-1.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, October 9, 2019, 2:48pm; Reply: 6
79/80 was my second season of properly supporting Town.

Living in the Wolds, I had dallied with Lincoln (sorry!) and Liverpool (the Man U of the day) before realizing what I should be doing, after my brother took me along to BP for a game towards the end of the 78/79 promotion season.

I didn’t get to all the games but two that stand out from those two years of 79/80 and 80/81 were the 4-1 win at home to Exeter when Bob Cumming scored in the first minute and that 1-5 defeat to West Ham that ended hopes of promotion to Div 1.  It was the first time I saw Town lose!

After the Exeter game my brother said to me that it wouldn’t always be like that.  How true!!!
Posted by: Ipswin, October 9, 2019, 2:53pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Les Brechin

You'd better buy a bloody season ticket again then!!  ;)

As soon as we beat Sheffield United 4-0 to win the 3rd Division title I'll be first in the queue Les

Posted by: conscorner, October 9, 2019, 2:56pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Ipswin

The success enjoyed that season, with promotion to the 'old' division 2, persuaded me to buy my first ever season ticket the following season. I think it was somewhere in the region of £20 for a whole season for an adult standing ground admission pass - stand where you like!

Now had a season ticket for 40 years so that season really got me hooked.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 9, 2019, 2:59pm; Reply: 9
My wife and I were both season ticket holders then and what a season it was,

The gate of 14,900 was about 2 thousand out as the police was worried about a crush outside the Osmond gates so they told the club to open the gates and let them in,

Unlike Hillsboro  every thing was ok and safe but as it was not a all ticket games Town lost some revenue that day.
Posted by: cannylad68, October 9, 2019, 3:34pm; Reply: 10
Great post Jock.
In my opinion, that was the best ever Town team, and I go back before Shankly.
I was honoured to have a drink with Mick Brolly after the Everton match when he scored 2 goals.
He was so modest.
He did say that training was so boring, as George made them do the same moves over and over again.
That way they knew were their team mates where without looking.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 9, 2019, 4:07pm; Reply: 11
It was a great side, the product of 3 managers. Tom Casey who was very underrated and was the one to give youth a chance, Then John Newman who knew how to build a side that was an effective team unit and got us out of the bottom tier. And good old George Kerr who had the common sense to leave the main things alone after Newman left. It was my favourite Town team too, for the same reasons as other people have said - so much local connection. So many fans knew so many of the players personally.

We kept the momentum going for `the first year in Div 2 but then lost our way until Dave Booth brought in Chris Nicholl and the side got a sort of second wind in 1983-4 when we really were in with a genuine chance of promotion to Div One until the last month of the season.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 9, 2019, 4:19pm; Reply: 12
It was a great side, the product of 3 managers. Tom Casey who was very underrated and was the one to give youth a chance, Then John Newman who knew how to build a side that was an effective team unit and got us out of the bottom tier. And good old George Kerr who had the common sense to leave the main things alone after Newman left. It was my favourite Town team too, for the same reasons as other people have said - so much local connection. So many fans knew so many of the players personally.

We kept the momentum going for `the first year in Div 2 but then lost our way until Dave Booth brought in Chris Nicholl and the side got a sort of second wind in 1983-4 when we really were in with a genuine chance of promotion to Div One until the last month of the season.

Didn't we finish 5th that season. We were right up there until late on but we only won one of the last 5 matches I think,

In this day and age we'd have been in the play-offs for The Premiership.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 9, 2019, 4:34pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Les Brechin

Didn't we finish 5th that season. We were right up there until late on but we only won one of the last 5 matches I think,

In this day and age we'd have been in the play-offs for The Premiership.

You’re not wrong Les

Our last six matches W1 D2 L3

If we’d not lost the last game at home to Chelsea we’d have finished 4th place with Man City in 5th instead of us

As Chelsea won 1-0 they took the title and Sheffield Wednesday were runners up

I recall at the time some saying it was better that Wednesday didn’t take the top spot because of the match at Hillsborough a few weeks before where we lost to a dodgy penalty

Just  thinking back now, so close to the automatic promotion places is one hell of an achievement in itself

UTM
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 9, 2019, 4:57pm; Reply: 14
Sadly I missed out on that season and the ones either side. I’d started going in 1971 but by the late 70s I’d lost interest. I was too stubborn to jump on the bandwagon when things started getting good. My life’s biggest regret. :(
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 9, 2019, 5:24pm; Reply: 15
It was such a pity that the wrangling on the board killed off that era.

Edit - and signing Lyons.  :(
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), October 9, 2019, 5:26pm; Reply: 16
Hey, what memories. I played in the same team with 3 of the players. Sat next to one at school and kept one of them out of a game as I'd done well when replaced him. He did have flu and was two years younger though. Wigginton came back to us and was awesome. I missed the Hull game as I was in hospital but Cawthorne played his one and only game. Whilst in hospital I had a visit from Bob Mitchell and Gary Liddell. I remember Charles Ekberg commentating. It was usually back then. He always seemed to uck missing usually starting Ffffffffff Brolly missed again.
Posted by: tintowner, October 9, 2019, 5:29pm; Reply: 17
I was 16 years old and  can still remember that season like it was yesterday.
That last game against Sheffield United.......stood in the Barratt Stand  :o.....what memories.

Oh......and I've had the moniker below since I started on the Fishy........ a truly fantastic squad of players.
Posted by: Garth, October 9, 2019, 5:46pm; Reply: 18
Great memories, I was at all of those games, Hurst was right when he said we were spoilt
Posted by: A.l.f., October 9, 2019, 6:12pm; Reply: 19
Yes - your post brought back so many happy memories, the main one being sat in the big stand with the Wolves regulars at the end of full time prior to extra time.  Seeing my black and white scarf, many Wolves fans declared that we were by far the best team that we'd played so far that season.  We battered them in extra time but just couldn't find the winner.
The last match against Sheff Utd was the most one sided game ever and should have been about 12-0 not 4-0.
What a great team we had at that time.
Posted by: Jackie Lewis, October 9, 2019, 9:36pm; Reply: 20
One of Mikey Brollys best that season and a great day out
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3fGZj31eq74
Posted by: conscorner, October 10, 2019, 12:14am; Reply: 21
Quoted from Jackie Lewis

One of those goals that I remember as if it was scored yesterday - packed out with Town fans on the Barnsley Kop End. Fantastic memories
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 10, 2019, 6:23am; Reply: 22
What a great post, as a football mad teenager it was a great time to be a Town supporter.

I’d absolutely echo all of the above and add that the season in question was actually a result of some great building by the club over a few years both in terms of bringing on local talent and the odd player like Joe who’d not made it at a “bigger club” but also the work Alec King did to get the players out in the local factories and community which very quickly lifted the good Will and engagement after a relegation season.

Memories I’ll never forget, they’ll stick with me forever.
Posted by: cannylad68, October 10, 2019, 9:03am; Reply: 23
No red crosses so far on this topic.

Oh what have I said.
Posted by: Ipswin, October 10, 2019, 9:14am; Reply: 24
Was it really 18 years ago (yesterday) ?
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 10, 2019, 9:41am; Reply: 25
People say the game is faster now but it looked bloody quick at Barnsley that day, and physical too. A great day out and a treat to see Bobby C. in his pomp again.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 10, 2019, 1:44pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from A.l.f.
Yes - your post brought back so many happy memories, the main one being sat in the big stand with the Wolves regulars at the end of full time prior to extra time.  Seeing my black and white scarf, many Wolves fans declared that we were by far the best team that we'd played so far that season.  We battered them in extra time but just couldn't find the winner.
The last match against Sheff Utd was the most one sided game ever and should have been about 12-0 not 4-0.
What a great team we had at that time.

F'king Wolves!!  ::)

They battered me before the game behind the goal where we were gathered... bar stewards!!  :(

Kicked the living daylights out of me but it didn't stop me getting up and going in to see us nearly get what would have been a well deserved win

I'm convinced if we'd got past them and in to the semi final ( to play Swindon if I remember correctly ) we'd have made our first ever Wembley appearance quite a few years earlier than we actually did

Posted by: Les Brechin, October 10, 2019, 2:05pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

F'king Wolves!!  ::)

They battered me before the game behind the goal where we were gathered... bar stewards!!  :(

Kicked the living daylights out of me but it didn't stop me getting up and going in to see us nearly get what would have been a well deserved win

I'm convinced if we'd got past them and in to the semi final ( to play Swindon if I remember correctly ) we'd have made our first ever Wembley appearance quite a few years earlier than we actually did

I was 15 at the time and that 1st replay was my first experience of real footy violence. There were some right nasty illegitimates out that night from both Wolverhampton and Grimsby.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 10, 2019, 2:28pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Les Brechin

I was 15 at the time and that 1st replay was my first experience of real footy violence. There were some right nasty illegitimates out that night from both Wolverhampton and Grimsby.

Tell me about it Les

It was the day after I’d left home to live down south

Drove from MK after work on the Tuesday evening & parked up no problem at all

No colours on me but I asked a couple of what I thought were ok Wolves fans how to get to our end

Followed their directions and fell into a trap where I got ambushed and can’t remember too much after getting an almighty kick on my temple

Came around and saw a cop who unbelievably frisked me before he let me in the ground & told me to look out later on

A good night footballwise but an alarming wake up call for me as to the violence that went on back then
Posted by: cannylad68, October 10, 2019, 3:25pm; Reply: 29
When you consider we had 3 of the best strikers in that league at the time, 2 who went on to be England Under 21 internationals.
We WERE spoilt.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, October 10, 2019, 5:42pm; Reply: 30
I had the very bad-timing award for the 1979-80 season.  I was serving in the RAF in Germany for all of 79 and 80.   🙁😟
Posted by: thornemariner, October 10, 2019, 6:02pm; Reply: 31
Thanks to Jock for starting this thread. It's been brilliant reading everyone's comments.1979/80 was my first season  and the Blackpool home game was my first Town match. I'm really enjoying the Town programme featuring this season and reliving it all.

I was hooked after a few minutes really. I went with a friend as my family had no tradition of going to matches. I got to more games as the season went on being a bit short of money to get to them all. When I wasn't at a game I'd be catching the latest midweek scores on the Paull Hunsley Electric Wireless Show or watching on ITV's World of Sport on Saturdays. I remember the thrill of the 6 3 away win at Wimbledon where the teleprinter put the word six after the score to clarify things. I think we scored five in twenty second half minutes.

The 4 0 battering of Sheffield United remains my favourite game and Joe Waters' goal in that match was the best I've seen at BP.

Barnsley was my first away game. Loved it. Great to see the goal again.

I went to university the following year and my grant and savings over the next three years were invested in a lot of away games. I was always proud of being a Grimsby fan and didn't friends know it.

It's obviously been a tough time since 2003 but I'm still hanging on in there, travelling over from Doncaster for the home games. The first thing I did when I moved back up here was to get a ST.

I had a few seasons where I didn't get to many games due to health and pressing personal reasons but the love never died or diminished.

UTM

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 10, 2019, 6:32pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from cannylad68
When you consider we had 3 of the best strikers in that league at the time, 2 who went on to be England Under 21 internationals.
We WERE spoilt.

The following year we had four! We signed Trevor Wymark.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 10, 2019, 11:33pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Jackie Lewis

That's a fantastic bit of footage. First observation: 45 minutes TV coverage for a Third Division game (even if it was regional). Seems incredible now.  Secondly, what a biased illegitimate Martin Tyler was. Thirdly, Fred Dineage, Tyler, and the theme music were pure Monty Python. Can't find the sketch I'm thinking of.

Thanks for posting it JL.
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 11, 2019, 12:10am; Reply: 34

Great memories, what a night that was when Brolly scored two against Everton, I was in the Barrett's stand that night.

And the 4-0 win against Sheff Utd  will always stick in my mind.

I went to most of the games mentioned that season home and away, great times.
Posted by: barralad, October 11, 2019, 7:23am; Reply: 35
That season was the first season that I remember big numbers of Town fans going away-may have had something to do with the sheer number of localish games that season-Hull, both Sheffield clubs, Rotherham, Chesterfield Barnsley and Mansfield were all in our division. My favourite game of that season was Chesterfield away-3.0 up and played a fair bit of time with 10 men after Kev. Moore (RIP) was sent off before seeing the game out at 3-2. (They must have hated us that season as I'm pretty sure we knocked them out of the F.A. cup in the round before Liverpool.) We'd gone on our Sunday League teams (Ambleside) annual day out and ended up in the Chesterfield Aquarius club watching......Peters and Lee!!! :'(
Posted by: cannylad68, October 11, 2019, 8:12am; Reply: 36
There was a photo of Gary Lund and Paul Wilkinson in the England team.

Anyone able to post, it would be great to see that again.
Posted by: smokey111, October 11, 2019, 8:14am; Reply: 37
No goalie gloves. When did keepers start to wear them?

Although I had been to games before the one that sticks out was the late 80s. I think we went down under Bobby Roberts. We needed to win to get in a relegation play off. I am sure I haven't imagined it, but I think initially three from the division below played off against fourth bottom for the right to be in that division. Sure we lost 2-1????
Posted by: cannylad68, October 11, 2019, 8:41am; Reply: 38
Marc North missed a penalty.
Posted by: smokey111, October 11, 2019, 9:01am; Reply: 39
Aldershot. I remember Don Oriordan playing.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 11, 2019, 10:05am; Reply: 40
Quoted from smokey111

Although I had been to games before the one that sticks out was the late 80s. I think we went down under Bobby Roberts. We needed to win to get in a relegation play off. I am sure I haven't imagined it, but I think initially three from the division below played off against fourth bottom for the right to be in that division. Sure we lost 2-1????

87/88 season. That Aldershot game ended 1 all. If we'd have won we'd have stayed up and Rotherham would have been relegated.

It was the first season of the play-offs and the only season when the team finishing one place above the relegation zone of the above division played in them and Rotherham ended up getting relegated anyway. Aldershot finished 1 place above Rotherham but the following season they finished bottom of Division 3 and folded a couple of seasons later,  whereas Rotherham went on to win the 4th Division title the next season.
Posted by: smokey111, October 11, 2019, 12:02pm; Reply: 41
Knew Les wouldn't let me down!!!!

I think that play off format still exists in some European leagues.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 11, 2019, 1:28pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from smokey111
Knew Les wouldn't let me down!!!!

I think that play off format still exists in some European leagues.

It does in Scotland.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 11, 2019, 2:59pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Les Brechin

87/88 season. That Aldershot game ended 1 all. If we'd have won we'd have stayed up and Rotherham would have been relegated.

It was the first season of the play-offs and the only season when the team finishing one place above the relegation zone of the above division played in them and Rotherham ended up getting relegated anyway. Aldershot finished 1 place above Rotherham but the following season they finished bottom of Division 3 and folded a couple of seasons later,  whereas Rotherham went on to win the 4th Division title the next season.

I may be losing it but wasn't that the one where Mark North missed a pen and Bobby Roberts wasn’t there as he was on a coaching course or something?
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 11, 2019, 3:15pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I may be losing it but wasn't that the one where Mark North missed a pen and Bobby Roberts wasn’t there as he was on a coaching course or something?

Marc North did miss a penalty, not sure about the Bobby Roberts bit, though something vaguely rings a bell it might be correct.
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, October 11, 2019, 3:38pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from smokey111

Harry Wainman wore gloves. I remember buying a pair from Norris The Rubberman that we’re billed Harry’s gloves (they were very similar to those Thinsulate gloves that sell on markets nowadays so not exactly specialist).
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, October 11, 2019, 3:39pm; Reply: 46

Harry Wainman wore gloves. I remember buying a pair from Norris The Rubberman that were billed Harry’s gloves (they were very similar to those Thinsulate gloves that sell on markets nowadays so not exactly specialist).

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 11, 2019, 5:29pm; Reply: 47

Harry Wainman wore gloves. I remember buying a pair from Norris The Rubberman that we’re billed Harry’s gloves (they were very similar to those Thinsulate gloves that sell on markets nowadays so not exactly specialist).

Goalies have always worn gloves. They used to be leather or woollen and the reason was that in cold or wet weather the goalie would be doing more punching the ball than catching it. That was what Gordon Banks used to say. The first proper goalie gloves were developed by the West German goalie Sepp Mayer for the 1970 WC. They looked huge and there was talk that they gave him an unfair advantage and should be banned.

Posted by: Northbank Mariner, October 11, 2019, 6:56pm; Reply: 48

Goalies have always worn gloves. They used to be leather or woollen and the reason was that in cold or wet weather the goalie would be doing more punching the ball than catching it. That was what Gordon Banks used to say. The first proper goalie gloves were developed by the West German goalie Sepp Mayer for the 1970 WC. They looked huge and there was talk that they gave him an unfair advantage and should be banned.

As a keeper I remember my first pair....Sondico with dimply rubber on the fingers and palm...none of the finger braces or cushioning these new ones have...bought my first pair from Wainmans down freemo....ah, the memories...makes me all misty eyed, or is that the red wine???
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 11, 2019, 7:43pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

As a keeper I remember my first pair....Sondico with dimply rubber on the fingers and palm...none of the finger braces or cushioning these new ones have...bought my first pair from Wainmans down freemo....ah, the memories...makes me all misty eyed, or is that the red wine???

Did you get the red wine from Harry’s off-licence when he changed his retail? ;)

Posted by: Northbank Mariner, October 11, 2019, 8:25pm; Reply: 50

Did you get the red wine from Harry’s off-licence when he changed his retail? ;)

No, but had the pleasure of chatting to him when he took over a BnB in Cleethorpes, what a gent....
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 11, 2019, 8:35pm; Reply: 51

I used to go in Harry’s shop a lot as a kid I always remember him being really nice to my mam and my nana who bless her was bonkers TBH.

He also got a relative of hours a signed program from the Liverpool cup tie as he couldn’t go due to illness.

Posted by: Northbank Mariner, October 11, 2019, 8:39pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I used to go in Harry’s shop a lot as a kid I always remember him being really nice to my mam and my nana who bless her was bonkers TBH.

He also got a relative of hours a signed program from the Liverpool cup tie as he couldn’t go due to illness.

Also my first pair of puma trainers from there, wish I could remember the marque but unfortunately I'm now red wines out.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, October 11, 2019, 8:41pm; Reply: 53

Also my first pair of puma trainers from there, wish I could remember the marque but unfortunately I'm now red wines out.

PUMA TUNIS....it's come to me like an epiphany
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 11, 2019, 11:44pm; Reply: 54

PUMA TUNIS....it's come to me like an epiphany

I've never had a pair of Puma Tunis or had an epiphany but I once knew a lass with an epic f.... and a Pumis that smelt of Tuna.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 12, 2019, 7:53pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from cannylad68
We WERE spoilt.

I assume that the two Under 21 internationals you mention are Gary Lund & Paul Wilkinson but it was 3 or years later that they made their debuts so would have been nowhere near the first team squad in our Championship winning season

When they came along though I do remember them keeping Kev Drinkell out of the side in some games.... what a situation to have to deal with as Town manager where you had to leave one player out because we were spoilt for choice with such quality

It's got me wondering what happened to Kevin Kilmore and who he moved on to because he played a good part in our 79-80 promotion but maybe he just didn't have what it takes to play in the second tier as the others did
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 12, 2019, 8:09pm; Reply: 56

It's got me wondering what happened to Kevin Kilmore and who he moved on to because he played a good part in our 79-80 promotion but maybe he just didn't have what it takes to play in the second tier as the others did

Kilmore linked up again with Geoge Kerr at Rotherham when he left us.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 12, 2019, 8:11pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Les Brechin

Kilmore linked up again with Geoge Kerr at Rotherham when he left us.

I had a feeling he went there Les but couldn't say for sure - thanks for confirming

Funny that he played no small part in the 79-80 season but often his contribution gets overlooked.... maybe because of his Scunny upbringing  ;)
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, October 12, 2019, 10:34pm; Reply: 58

I had a feeling he went there Les but couldn't say for sure - thanks for confirming

Funny that he played no small part in the 79-80 season but often his contribution gets overlooked.... maybe because of his Scunny upbringing  ;)

Pretty sure he also played for Lincoln with Batch and Cummings in late eighties. Seem to recall he was at one time pub landlord in Louth but not sure if that’s still the case.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 13, 2019, 12:33pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Pretty sure he also played for Lincoln with Batch and Cummings in late eighties. Seem to recall he was at one time pub landlord in Louth but not sure if that’s still the case.

Could be wrong but wasn’t Kev Kilmore licensee on Wybers for a short while?

Thinking of strikers around this time, local ones included Jim Lumby in the mid-70s and then of course Terry Donovan. Tony Ford also played as striker for quite a long time and had a good goal scoring record in the position.

Kilmore was a surprise signing but at the time there was a lot of rumour about Kev Drinkell leaving so I suspect Kilmore was signed as insurance. The same might be said about Trevor Wymark who did a lot to make Paul Wilkinson into a proper striker.

Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 13, 2019, 2:33pm; Reply: 60

Could be wrong but wasn’t Kev Kilmore licensee on Wybers for a short while?

Thinking of strikers around this time, local ones included Jim Lumby in the mid-70s and then of course Terry Donovan. Tony Ford also played as striker for quite a long time and had a good goal scoring record in the position.

Kilmore was a surprise signing but at the time there was a lot of rumour about Kev Drinkell leaving so I suspect Kilmore was signed as insurance. The same might be said about Trevor Wymark who did a lot to make Paul Wilkinson into a proper striker.

I also remember a rumour that Liverpool where in for Kevin Moore, that rumour lasted for ages.
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 3:00pm