Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Was it really all forty years ago?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 149 Guests

Was it really all forty years ago?

This thread currently has 8,673 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Jackie Lewis
October 9, 2019, 9:36pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +75
One of Mikey Brollys best that season and a great day out
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3fGZj31eq74
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 60
conscorner
October 10, 2019, 12:14am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +298
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Jackie Lewis
One of Mikey Brollys best that season and a great day out
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3fGZj31eq74

One of those goals that I remember as if it was scored yesterday - packed out with Town fans on the Barnsley Kop End. Fantastic memories
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 60
HertsGTFC
October 10, 2019, 6:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
What a great post, as a football mad teenager it was a great time to be a Town supporter.

I’d absolutely echo all of the above and add that the season in question was actually a result of some great building by the club over a few years both in terms of bringing on local talent and the odd player like Joe who’d not made it at a “bigger club” but also the work Alec King did to get the players out in the local factories and community which very quickly lifted the good Will and engagement after a relegation season.

Memories I’ll never forget, they’ll stick with me forever.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 60
cannylad68
October 10, 2019, 9:03am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
No red crosses so far on this topic.

Oh what have I said.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 60
Ipswin
October 10, 2019, 9:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Was it really 18 years ago (yesterday) ?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 60
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 10, 2019, 9:41am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
People say the game is faster now but it looked bloody quick at Barnsley that day, and physical too. A great day out and a treat to see Bobby C. in his pomp again.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 60
FishOutOfWater
October 10, 2019, 1:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from A.l.f.
Yes - your post brought back so many happy memories, the main one being sat in the big stand with the Wolves regulars at the end of full time prior to extra time.  Seeing my black and white scarf, many Wolves fans declared that we were by far the best team that we'd played so far that season.  We battered them in extra time but just couldn't find the winner.
The last match against Sheff Utd was the most one sided game ever and should have been about 12-0 not 4-0.
What a great team we had at that time.

F'king Wolves!!  

They battered me before the game behind the goal where we were gathered... bar stewards!!  

Kicked the living daylights out of me but it didn't stop me getting up and going in to see us nearly get what would have been a well deserved win

I'm convinced if we'd got past them and in to the semi final ( to play Swindon if I remember correctly ) we'd have made our first ever Wembley appearance quite a few years earlier than we actually did

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 60
Les Brechin
October 10, 2019, 2:05pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,701
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

F'king Wolves!!  

They battered me before the game behind the goal where we were gathered... bar stewards!!  

Kicked the living daylights out of me but it didn't stop me getting up and going in to see us nearly get what would have been a well deserved win

I'm convinced if we'd got past them and in to the semi final ( to play Swindon if I remember correctly ) we'd have made our first ever Wembley appearance quite a few years earlier than we actually did

I was 15 at the time and that 1st replay was my first experience of real footy violence. There were some right nasty illegitimates out that night from both Wolverhampton and Grimsby.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 60
FishOutOfWater
October 10, 2019, 2:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Les Brechin

I was 15 at the time and that 1st replay was my first experience of real footy violence. There were some right nasty illegitimates out that night from both Wolverhampton and Grimsby.

Tell me about it Les

It was the day after I’d left home to live down south

Drove from MK after work on the Tuesday evening & parked up no problem at all

No colours on me but I asked a couple of what I thought were ok Wolves fans how to get to our end

Followed their directions and fell into a trap where I got ambushed and can’t remember too much after getting an almighty kick on my temple

Came around and saw a cop who unbelievably frisked me before he let me in the ground & told me to look out later on

A good night footballwise but an alarming wake up call for me as to the violence that went on back then
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 60
cannylad68
October 10, 2019, 3:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
When you consider we had 3 of the best strikers in that league at the time, 2 who went on to be England Under 21 internationals.
We WERE spoilt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Was it really all forty years ago?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.