6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
August 20, 2019, 10:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +46 / -25
Approval: +31,785
Gold Stars: 230
Happy with a point from a game we would have lost last season.

Not sure we have to play every ball through Hanson but...

MoM goes to Hess in spite of his error for their opener, unfortunately one or two others struggled and I’m reserving judgment on Waterfall as he doesn’t look fit. Ring did okay tonight and all three subs livened us up.

Not bad after a long trip away.
Private Message
lukeo
August 20, 2019, 10:43pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.08
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,295
Gold Stars: 133
Watched on ifollow and agree.. I think we need to play Green closer to Hanson. I like 433 and use it for my team but hoofing to Hanson isn't going to work. We have some good footballers in this squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 58
MuddyWaters
August 20, 2019, 10:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +46 / -25
Approval: +31,785
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from lukeo
Watched on ifollow and agree.. I think we need to play Green closer to Hanson. I like 433 and use it for my team but hoofing to Hanson isn't going to work. We have some good footballers in this squad.

Thinking on from that, I’d like us to play Hanson and Green with one behind (either Vernam or Cook) and three behind that. Green looks better in a two than wide in a three.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 58
fishcake63
August 20, 2019, 10:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.52
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,235
Gold Stars: 62
good point decent team them in false position
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 58
headingly_mariner
August 20, 2019, 10:57pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,264
Gold Stars: 113
Thought we were really poor tonight. Whitehouse and Hewitt really struggled in the middle, neither really affected the game positively and both are very onepaced. Hess was great even though he gave the ball away for the goal.

It’s serious percentage football, we lump it and go for the knock downs. Every throw in in the opposition half is a long one. To be fair it seems effective as in a game that we played poorly in we managed to score twice.

Was really surprised Ogbu was taken off, he makes things happen when the ball goes into his feet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 58
moosey_club
August 20, 2019, 11:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,132
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Happy with a point from a game we would have lost last season.

Not sure we have to play every ball through Hanson but...

MoM goes to Hess in spite of his error for their opener, unfortunately one or two others struggled and I’m reserving judgment on Waterfall as he doesn’t look fit. Ring did okay tonight and all three subs livened us up.

Not bad after a long trip away.

Not bad....jeez.
Was hoping to patiently wait and see 6 games in before passing an overall first opinion on the 2019/20 version but think i have seen enough in the 5 games to figure out;
The football we play is horrendous, long punt to Hanson and try to pick up the 2nd ball , long throws and far post delivery on just about every corner/ set piece. Not a tactic or game plan i like, its not entertaining to watch and its not that productive when it comes to overall chances/shots on goal or goals.
Pedestrian players in most areas. Not very exciting other than when Max Wright gets a look in.
Very well disciplined with players seemingly understanding what is required of them.

Missing for me are a couple of vital elements, midfielders to date are not getting up to form a second wave to pick up on 2nd balls around the edge of the box, this maybe as they are that well disciplined in keeping the defensive shape, it doesnt give them time to be up with the strikers when the punt goes up.

I think we could do with a player with a little more guile in the centre or pace to help break through the lines of the opposition, too one dimensional at the moment, even tonight on the rare occassions we passed the ball it was pretty harmless side to side and still ended up with a long diagonal towards Hanson anyway.

There are certainly improvements in some areas compared to last season but i have found it as dull as dishwater to watch us going forward so far.

Battled back well again and credit for rescuing a point which despite pressure looked unlikely as we weren't really hammering their goal or testing their keeper much.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 58
toontown
August 20, 2019, 11:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,144
Gold Stars: 69
Definitely a point gained as we didn't really deserve to get anything from that game. If it hadn't been for another Macca worldy we would have been 3 down at half time. Abysmal passing from most of the team that first half. Improved second half but we were not as much better than them as they had been over us first half.

Surprised no subs at half time, surprised ogbu came off, but the draw justified jolley's decisions. Very dogged determination from the side to drag that game back from 2-0.

For me in ring we have a definite back up level full back, he can't play wing back but he can 'do a job' at left back - yes he can cover during injury or suspension but we shouldn't be playing him out of choice. To reinforce that Hewitt is poorer in central mid than Clifton, so I don't see why we'd be playing him there out of choice when he seems a decent right back with a good cross and throw. That allows Hendrie to play left back and replace ring who is a weak link. And for me Clifton improves the middle over Hewitt so seems a no brainer.

The style of football tonight was very long ball, think we have to mix it up more, and green either needs to be played more centrally or dropped for Wright. The quality needs to be upped if we are to achieve anything this season.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 58
Croxton
August 20, 2019, 11:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,924
Gold Stars: 31
Agree with most of that Moosey but Green can't play that role in a three. His movement is poor and he lacks Ogbu's strength in possession. Sorry to see Ogbu go off and Ring stay on. Should have put Hewitt to full back and brought Wright on at 2-0.
We lack pace in thought and deed. Slow to react to their movement and no pace or width.
Vernam or Wright instead of Green for me. Whitehouse was laboured tonight. Combative but left behind by sharper Colchester movement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 58
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 21, 2019, 12:08am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +22 / -4
Approval: +7,429
Gold Stars: 64
Would concur that we did not play well but as other posters have said Colchester in a false position and Nouble and their number 10 were real quality at this level.

Currently we appear one paced and a bit too predictable but if our style is about hitting Hanson then we have to get other forwards much closer to him and at least midfielder in a position where he can pick up a loose ball. That just did not happen tonight. Think Wright should start as one of the front three this Saturday with Green or Cook playing much closer to Hanson. Ogbu was what Ogbu is and that’s a bit of a mystery with a couple of very good openings wasted with senseless passes, a chance in the first half he should have buried and some other touches of quality. Still not sure what we have so await to see how he develops.

Whitehouse struggled tonight and maybe two games in quick succession is a bit too much after twelve months out the game. I understand Harry had a knock that’s why he was rested but surely Cook deserved a run after his performance last week and full backs could have stayed the same although Ring was fine but not pacy enough for me when driving forward.

We have the commitment but in my eyes need a couple of quality additions and Devitt would be someone to add some skill, guile and goals so would be happy for him to arrive.

I know I might be alone voice but once again I was disappointed with contribution Vernam made when he came on with an excellent first touch and then lost the ball every time it went his way. Just don’t see in him what others on here obviously do, hopefully I’m wrong and others are right.

Finally another crap Ref totally inept and that’s being kind.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 58
arryarryarry
August 21, 2019, 5:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,927
Gold Stars: 112
I agree with most of the comments.

Clearly the tactics are lump it forward to Hanson and see what comes of it. Fine if it works pretty horrible when it doesn't.

Lucky to be still in the game at half-time if it wasn't for James McKeown.

We got back into the game with I think the only time we had a player run into their area and Ogbu was brought down for the penalty. He seems to be one of those players who looks like he doesn't know what he is going to do let alone the opposition and that does give us something different.

I like Charles Vernam but for me he is clearly no use in a side that hoofs it forward, he needs the ball at his feet so he can run at the opposition. Glad to see Max Wright brought on although I would like to see him start as he can run at the opposition but also isn't afraid to get stuck in.

I thought Waterfall looked a bit dodgy at times with some of his back passes to James McKeown that looked short.

Still early days but I do wonder if opposition teams can see the way we play and just counteract it.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 58
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.