6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
A.l.f.
August 21, 2019, 6:47am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
Good point against a good side, who pressed us all game and didn't allow us to settle.  They had more pace all over the pitch than us and i think thats why we were a little route one tonight.  That said, when you have a great physical striker in Hanson, you' d want to play to your strengths.  I too would like to see Max Wright wide and get more advanced crosses in to Hanson.  I'm happy to leave tactics to our manager, who has more information on opposition sides and see's our players on a day to day basis.  I think he's seen whats required to progress and am fairly confident on how the season will pan out.
We showed great character last night and although our passing was far from our best, the lads look to have a good team spirit and work ethic.  Three points against Port Vale would give us a good start to the season and we have some good away days to Walsall and Salford coming up.  Lets see where we go from here and enjoy the ride, as i think it will be a lot better than the last two seasons.  UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 58
marinerrick
August 21, 2019, 6:50am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +52
I agree with most comments that we were not brilliant however when we tried to not outpace and run past Colchester, which we don't have the pace to do and started playing to our strengthsand played direct football we caused problems. Overall pleased we rescued a point but think we need to play the team in front of us and not how we always wants to play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 58
GtfcGarner
August 21, 2019, 7:25am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +31 / -13
Approval: +1,788
Gold Stars: 26
Thought it was very one dimensional last night which for a Jolley team surprised me.

McKeown - Made his usual world class save that we have all grown accustomed to at 1-0 and was a commanding voice can't say anything bad about Macca except if I was to have a little grumble his kicks are so flat when we are trying to counter but I suppose he would be at a higher level was that rectified.

Ring - Struggled alot tonight looked lightweight, off the pace and like a lost puppy. Terrible defending for the 2nd goal and got caught out of position quite alot, saw Hess covering him an awful lot.

Waterfall - Pretty much what people have said before he signed, if the ball is in the air he will have a field day. Looked a little unfit and had a moment in the 2nd half were he let the ball bounce near the corner and ended up getting lucky

Davis - Thought he had an OK game barring the goal where the man got between him and ring. Took a good yellow card for the team which would have been another clear cut chance for Colchester

Hendrie - Solid performance at right back, just looks like Mr.Dependable very very calm under pressure and is quite good with the ball

Whitehouse - Looked a little tired which is to be expected after not playing for 12 months and having games in quick succession, his first touch kept bouncing off his foot and although he was ratting in the middle never really got going

Hewitt - Same as Whitehouse really think the effort was there but not the quality, Notts County said he was better in CM than full back but from what I've seen I'd be tempted to stick with him at right back and Hendrie left. Got an early yellow and think that restricted him from putting a foot in again

Hessenthaler - My MOTM tonight, always demanding the ball and so classy on it, can't believe how many interceptions he makes either. Would comfortably slide into a better side and was impressed with how he was tonight looked like one of the only ones who wanted to get it down and play

Ogbu - Confusing player and think he will be so frustrating to watch, for the penalty it was a glimpse of magic how he just left his man for dead with his back towards the area. Looks very strong on the ball and can comfortably run with it. Gives it away cheap some times but I feel that's what he's going to be for us this year.

Green - Looked abit of a lost sheep out wide and would prefer him tucking inside to run onto the flick ons of Hanson. Took his goal absolutely brilliantly and was so glad for him to get off the mark considering how much running and closing down he puts into the game.

Hanson - Never seen such a powerful striker. Wins absolutely EVERYTHING. The ref had a woeful game tonight and feel like he gave decisions against Hanson when he was almost having the shirt ripped off his back. Would like to see us just not pump it up to him and see him actually win headers in the area.

All in all a good point which I think we would of all took at 2-0 down but I don't think Colchester looked a great team. Hopefully bounce back to winning ways against Port Vale, enjoyed the comeback though and recent town teams of the past would of crumbled.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 58
psgmariner
August 21, 2019, 7:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Got to be happy with a draw when 2-0 down. Colchester looked much the better team and was really impressed by nouble and their number 10 who was incredibly skillfull. For us, Hess was outstanding and credit to Hanson for winning so many headers. Max Wright’s cameo was also encouraging.

We are an ugly team to watch. We are more hoofball than under slade. If we keep picking up points then fine but if Jolley has another of his losing streaks it could get messy quickly.

Private Message
Reply: 13 - 58
Croxton
August 21, 2019, 8:14am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 33
Would agree with most of that Gtfc Garner but I thought it was one of Hendrie's less effective games in an attacking sense. He delayed crosses sometimes and was too cautious in testing the full back. Hewitt is better swinging crosses in from the right and Hendrie is miles better than Ring at left back. There were several occasions when Ring could have made a more determined attempt to drive deeper into the last third or swing a cross in with his natural left foot. Hanson was demanding earlier passes and made many runs between his markers only for a pass to be delayed.
Judging by one of Port Vale's goals against FGR last night they don't hesitate in getting the ball wide and feeding their forwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 58
Jarmo.Is.God
August 21, 2019, 8:16am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Have I missed something?
Not every attack was through a long ball to Hanson, and when it was, he did his job and won it.

When we passed it about patiently, and waiting for the opportunity to play it forward, some fans moaned!
There was a spell in the first half, and 1 in the second, in which we passed it about nicely, without getting anywhere, but I have no issue with that, they are running to close us down and tiring, and we are keeping possession, and by doing so, they can't score...

2nd time I've seen Ogbu now, and he has so much potential to be a very good player. I like him a lot, strong, physical, and positive in winning the penalty

Wright and Vernam made a difference when they come on, which is something that didn't happen last season, having sub's that changed the game.

Ring looked good with the ball, and wanted to get it forward, not sure if at fault for any of the goals, as had a wonderful post in the way.

I posted yesterday about creating chances without a creative midfielder, and believing it to be a bit of a myth... but I take that back, as we definitely missed someone who could see that pass forward to split the defence.

P.S Nouble caused us too many problems, and that slightly worried me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 58
lukeo
August 21, 2019, 8:23am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,364
Gold Stars: 143
I hate route one but as someone just commented above I noticed how quick and sharp they where to close down every town player aand cut off any easy passes most of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 58
golfer
August 21, 2019, 8:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
I enjoyed the game-real end to end stuff. I think Whitehouse needs a rest and Hendrie should be practising his left foot. Every player gave 100%. Conley has improved immensely since he was here
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 58
Jarmo.Is.God
August 21, 2019, 8:33am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from golfer
I enjoyed the game-real end to end stuff. I think Whitehouse needs a rest and Hendrie should be practising his left foot. Every player gave 100%. Conley has improved immensely since he was here

Yeah, looked a good tidy player last night
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 58
buckstown
August 21, 2019, 8:54am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,172
Gold Stars: 79
One dimensional is a good description for us last night and I didn't think we were very effective as the quality of balls into Hanson were generally poor.
It struck me that virtually every ball was played in forwards, and we never got behind them and turned their defenders. That's why I thought Wright could have been on at half time. To be fair we were so bad 1st half MJ gave them the opportunity to sort it out, and the early penalty was crucial. Colchesters centre halves were pretty good against Hanson but it's easy when you're facing the right way and they needed to be turned
We did look tidy when we passed it out of defence but we weren't under any pressure. As soon as they pressed we panicked and gave the ball away so often.
Hess was very important for us, he was everywhere and seemed to be doing 3 jobs. Also liked Ogbu, but as others have said he's an all or nothing player. At this level he gets it right often enough for me and his strength is fantastic
Be interesting to hear what their manager has to say because I thought he threw it away taking Norris off and bringing Sowumni on. Bet he'll be fuming that Hewitt was on the pitch after his two challenges. It looked like the ref was going for a second card but Hanson talked him out of it
Finally, amazing finish from Green
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.