Reply: 50 - 58
diehardmariner
August 22, 2019, 10:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,405
Gold Stars: 532
Thought the first half was a definitive lesson that we can't just hope to go through Hanson.  I don't agree that it's hoofball either.  Hoofball is just that, aimless punts up front hoping that something will happen.  It's quite clear that we're putting our longer balls into two areas; 1) in and around Hanson to win the flick-on or 2) into the corners for Green to chase onto.  

The problem was that Green wasn't at the races which totally ruled out one option.  The second problem came midway through the second half, around the time they scored (when I thought we were slightly on top) and they put a defender in front and behind Hanson.  Wasn't helped by some poor refereeing but they nullified his threat.  The only way Hanson could work around it was to come deeper, which he did, but that then left no-one in the middle for the crosses.

Second half we switched it up a bit and utilised Ogbu and his unpredictability a lot more.  He's a real enigma and you don't know if he's going to skin a man or fall over his own feet, but he causes problems and I think he's more than strong enough to act as a suitable alternative to Hanson as a direct outlet if we need it.  Disappointed he went off as he looked the one who was most likely to change the game, especially when he got chance to turn and run at them.

The midfield was poor, exception of the excellent Hessenthaler who we really need to look at pinning down on a longer contract.  Whitehouse looked tired and Hewitt isn't half as good in midfield as he is at right-back.  At half-time I wanted to see Cook come into the midfield and operate at the top of it, supporting Hanson in attack.  Felt it needed his energy but also a more attacking mindset.

Wright and Vernam added something when they came on, namely pace and direct running.  Got to get both of them involved more as they will create problems.

At the back Waterfall looked exactly like a guy who hasn't played much and is then asked to play Saturday-Tuesday.  I like Ring's work ethic but I still see nothing in him to suggest he's good enough for this level.  

Ultimately though great character shown to get it back and had Wright managed to escape the last ditch foul or the referee seen the man handling of Davis at the death, could have been a different story altogether.  Colchester will be up there come the end of the season, as will Bradford and FGR.  As a side still finding our feet, it's a decent start I think.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 58
drbell
August 22, 2019, 10:28am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +269
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from diehardmariner
Thought the first half was a definitive lesson that we can't just hope to go through Hanson.  I don't agree that it's hoofball either.  Hoofball is just that, aimless punts up front hoping that something will happen.  It's quite clear that we're putting our longer balls into two areas; 1) in and around Hanson to win the flick-on or 2) into the corners for Green to chase onto.  

The problem was that Green wasn't at the races which totally ruled out one option.  The second problem came midway through the second half, around the time they scored (when I thought we were slightly on top) and they put a defender in front and behind Hanson.  Wasn't helped by some poor refereeing but they nullified his threat.  The only way Hanson could work around it was to come deeper, which he did, but that then left no-one in the middle for the crosses.

Second half we switched it up a bit and utilised Ogbu and his unpredictability a lot more.  He's a real enigma and you don't know if he's going to skin a man or fall over his own feet, but he causes problems and I think he's more than strong enough to act as a suitable alternative to Hanson as a direct outlet if we need it.  Disappointed he went off as he looked the one who was most likely to change the game, especially when he got chance to turn and run at them.

The midfield was poor, exception of the excellent Hessenthaler who we really need to look at pinning down on a longer contract.  Whitehouse looked tired and Hewitt isn't half as good in midfield as he is at right-back.  At half-time I wanted to see Cook come into the midfield and operate at the top of it, supporting Hanson in attack.  Felt it needed his energy but also a more attacking mindset.

Wright and Vernam added something when they came on, namely pace and direct running.  Got to get both of them involved more as they will create problems.

At the back Waterfall looked exactly like a guy who hasn't played much and is then asked to play Saturday-Tuesday.  I like Ring's work ethic but I still see nothing in him to suggest he's good enough for this level.  

Ultimately though great character shown to get it back and had Wright managed to escape the last ditch foul or the referee seen the man handling of Davis at the death, could have been a different story altogether.  Colchester will be up there come the end of the season, as will Bradford and FGR.  As a side still finding our feet, it's a decent start I think.

Think thats a pretty spot on summary DHM.
Watching my first game this season on iFollow, I thought Hanson was unbelievable. He won absolutely everything in both boxes, no matter how well marked he was. One of the most dominant target men performances I have seen anywhere, and certainly in a Town shirt. However, only a fairly small number of his flick on or layoffs led to anything. I thought both Green and Ogbu were poor in this regard, and no-one from the midfield made themselves available for knockdowns or ran past for flick ons. Green in particular I was incredibly disappointed with. He offered absolutely nothing all game, and like Mr T and Mr Buckley on the commentary, I was shocked when Ogbu went off instead of Green. With 3 minutes to go I happily had to hold my hand up and say well played Mr Jolley. Ogbu is certainly unpredictable, but has something about him. He makes things happen, even if his decision making is questionable at times.

I thought Ring started ok, great cross we could have scored from early doors, but then did look a bit above his level for the rest of the game. The midfield looked poor, but not helped by having so few options. We seemed set up to play it long so the supporting 2 were heading up to be vaguely near Hanson, rather than providing easier short passing options.

I continue to be so disappointed with Vernam. When we signed him permanently I genuinely thought it was a real coup - signing someone who was probably to good for our level. It must be hard not getting starts, so who knows what he would be like with a run of games, but he made one run to win a corner when he first came on, then was back to his recent self of running straight at the first defender with no hint of skill or pace to be able to get past him.

Cant argue is was a horrible game to watch, nothing to get excited about, nothing entertaining, but you have to be happy with the spirit that gets a point from 2-0 down at half time and a sucker punch at the end of the first half.

I think we need a lot more from Green or a replacement (Max, Vernam?) if we are to have a good season and dont bring in a controlling, creative midfielder. But I actually don't think we are far off. Hanson was great, Ogbu offered something. The workmanlike midfield are solid and would improve massively if given a few more easy options for passes. If the Green position had shown short a few times, collected flick ons a few times, and showed the ability to run at defenders just occasionally and get them turned and win the odd corner and cause a bit of excitement occasionally, I think the whole game would have been different. Time will tell I guess....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 58
AndyGTFC
August 22, 2019, 10:36am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +795
Gold Stars: 5
First game I’ve watched so far and yeah, Hanson wins everything in the air but if nobody is going to win his flick ins and we’re not getting in good crosses towards him it makes the style of play a bit painful to watch at times.

Definitely need more of a plan B too. With how poor the performance was you’ve gotta be happy with coming back from 2-0 down though!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 58
Malta_Mariner_90
August 22, 2019, 10:46am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from AndyGTFC
First game I’ve watched so far and yeah, Hanson wins everything in the air but if nobody is going to win his flick ins and we’re not getting in good crosses towards him it makes the style of play a bit painful to watch at times.

Definitely need more of a plan B too. With how poor the performance was you’ve gotta be happy with coming back from 2-0 down though!

Exactly this for me, would love to know how many crosses we have put in to Hanson so far over the first 4 games but it it is not enough for sure.

And actual crosses not some long range punt from out wide near the half way line. The Full backs still seem to be being held back by Jolley in terms of getting forward to support and put in the crosses.

Needs to let them have more freedom for me to get forward and get balls in the box. Theoretically if you are playing three in midfield one of them should be able to drop in and cover for the FB when needed. I remember Summerfield used to do that pretty well at times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 58
friskneymariner
August 22, 2019, 2:38pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Think both Green and Moses need to develop an understanding with Hansen,it will come with time.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 58
Rik e B
August 22, 2019, 3:47pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
If we could pass it about to get into positions to whip a curling ball into the box from an angle it would be better than long punts as Plan A.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 58
Rik e B
August 22, 2019, 3:48pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
I grew to love Clay but sorry Nolan a cut above.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 58
Jarmo.Is.God
August 23, 2019, 8:21am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
MJ has always said he picks his team based on who we are playing.

So if a team has 2 huge CB with a good record of winning stuff in the air, we will try pass it around a lot more.

He obviously felt Hanson would be effective, which he was, but there is still an understanding to gain from the wide 2, and a centre mid to latch onto his knock on's, or knock downs for an attacking CM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.