KingstonMariner
July 11, 2019, 12:33am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ska face
And for those of you who say boycotts don’t work, the competition hasn’t got a sponsor this year for the first time in over 30 years, and the only time ever since its first year.

The protests have been so successful that no company at all want to be associated with the competition. The boycotts have made this absolutely toxic to firms that would put their logo anywhere.

This is an enormous victory and cutting off the only thing that the EFL cares about, money, will eventually strangle the life out of it in its current format.

The fight continues and eventually the EFL’s luck is going to run out for the finals.

Never knew that. That's some result.

And to the person who said it's time to bury the hatchet on this and stop the boycott......if I smash your windows will you bury the hatchett in a few years? [hypothetical qscenario, that is NOT a threat!] It's exactly the right time to stick to our guns, specifically as Town fans. If we do get taken over, the new owners must be left with no uncertainty that Town fans won't take crap lying down and that we are a determined bunch and great to have on your side.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 55
Rik e B
July 11, 2019, 12:52am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
A very pertinent point Bluerose,  sorry to hear about your struggles and happy you soldiered through them.

Just highlights how disgusting the behaviour and terminology banded about by our inconsiderate overlords has been. I used to defend Fenty to a degree but have been utterly sickened in recent times.

Again, this boycott goes way beyond our little once proud Club and stands up for the very foundation of our game, just their words and actions add an extra bitter taste.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 55
MarinerMal
July 11, 2019, 8:22am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +784
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from crusty ole pie
I certainly don’t want b teams in the league but where is the evidence that this is happening  

Because they tried previously but were refused by the EFL72... there is your evidence.

This is competition is a direct result of that refusal.

They have artificially created this competition and the Premier League clubs put money into the pot for the competitions prize money.

Now ask yourself why would they do that? Out of the kindness of their hearts?

No, they want you to get used to the idea of your club competing against the U23's with the eventual long term aim of introducing 'B' teams in the the EFL. Looking at some of the post on this thread, that strategy is certainly working.

They pump money into the Prize Pot to entice clubs to participate and they keep increasing it. It will get to a point were clubs get so used to this income they will start to incorporate into the season plans and budgets. At which point don't be surprised if the Prem clubs use this additional income as a negotiating tactic in getting their B teams into the EFL. "Let us have B teams or we'll withdraw our funding!"

You could think this is just a lot of supposition and paranoia. But ask yourself when did the Premier League clubs last do something that benefits anyone else but themselves? Then ask yourself why they are so supportive of this competition?

If they want their young players to have competitive game time, send them on loan to clubs that fit their footballing philosophy.

Don't take the place of lower league clubs in the Football League.... because that is what will happen.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 55
wuffing
July 11, 2019, 8:27am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +788
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from bluerose13x
B teams are a horrible idea. I'm horrified at the idea. I decided off my own back not to go when the format changed.

What makes things worse: I'm regarded as either being a bully or a weak pathetic bullying victim by people at the club. I'm not going to go into my personal life and problems when I suffered at hands of bullies at school 20 years ago and made attempts on my life, but GTFC my god, I can never ever forgive the filth that was spoon fed to the accounts manager to say to the media about why people  where staying away.

GTFC in many ways, supporting them in the past, kept me going from weekend to weekend, something to look forward to, something to keep my my head in the right place.

What a way to upset and bring back horrible feelings.

Unforgiveable.

I struggle through the turnstyles on my bad days, now that the club have branded me with a sick label. The day when certain people leave the better.

Lack of consideration of peoples problems, careless inconsiderate use of language.

Unforgivable.

Its ok Bluerose. You identified something wrong, sinister and underhand that was trying to be introduced into our leagues from the big boys and by persons in power in the football league set-up that were willing to sell us out. You, like myself and others stood up for what you think is right, and it is right. You are not the weak, or the bullying one. They are the weak and bullying ones in the stance that they are taking and show their weaknesses by trying to intimidate to try to win. All you have done is highlight individuals and now you know who they are, you are better off for it. Don't get downbeat. You are showing strength and passion like all true football fans do in such situations. Sometimes, in situations like this, depending on who you are and where you work, it can be hard to take a stance. But you have done and hats off to you for it Bluerose. Well done and keep the faith.

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 55
Posh Harry
July 11, 2019, 8:40am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from MarinerMal

Because they tried previously but were refused by the EFL72... there is your evidence.

This is competition is a direct result of that refusal.

They have artificially created this competition and the Premier League clubs put money into the pot for the competitions prize money.

Now ask yourself why would they do that? Out of the kindness of their hearts?

No, they want you to get used to the idea of your club competing against the U23's with the eventual long term aim of introducing 'B' teams in the the EFL. Looking at some of the post on this thread, that strategy is certainly working.

They pump money into the Prize Pot to entice clubs to participate and they keep increasing it. It will get to a point were clubs get so used to this income they will start to incorporate into the season plans and budgets. At which point don't be surprised if the Prem clubs use this additional income as a negotiating tactic in getting their B teams into the EFL. "Let us have B teams or we'll withdraw our funding!"

You could think this is just a lot of supposition and paranoia. But ask yourself when did the Premier League clubs last do something that benefits anyone else but themselves? Then ask yourself why they are so supportive of this competition?

If they want their young players to have competitive game time, send them on loan to clubs that fit their footballing philosophy.

Don't take the place of lower league clubs in the Football League.... because that is what will happen.

Sums it up perfectly for me 👍
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 55
1mickylyons
July 11, 2019, 10:13am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
The bullying thing it was suggested some fans who wanted to attend had been branded amongst other things snakes. I mean oh dear how very upsetting that must have been? Meanwhile back in the real world the vast majority of fans who didnt wish to attend for a whole raft of reasons in relation to stopping Prem B teams were deemed bullies even though they were actually standing together to stop there clubs being bullied. This competition was soley created to give players and fans of lower league clubs the opportunity to go to Wembley in a competition with the revenue being a small added bonus. Mr Harvey et al have completely missed the point of this and unless it reverts back I think most fans want the competition scrapped altogether it`s flipping pointless.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 55
Posh Harry
July 11, 2019, 10:18am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from 1mickylyons
The bullying thing it was suggested some fans who wanted to attend had been branded amongst other things snakes. I mean oh dear how very upsetting that must have been? Meanwhile back in the real world the vast majority of fans who didnt wish to attend for a whole raft of reasons in relation to stopping Prem B teams were deemed bullies even though they were actually standing together to stop there clubs being bullied. This competition was soley created to give players and fans of lower league clubs the opportunity to go to Wembley in a competition with the revenue being a small added bonus. Mr Harvey et al have completely missed the point of this and unless it reverts back I think most fans want the competition scrapped altogether it`s flipping pointless.

Yep. I personally don’t want the competition scrapped. It is one of the few ways a club like ours would be able to get to Wembley and lift an actual cup. But I would rather not be in the competition at all if the premiership has anything to do with it in any way shape or form.

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 55
Poojah
July 11, 2019, 10:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,490
Quoted from Posh Harry

Yep. I personally don’t want the competition scrapped. It is one of the few ways a club like ours would be able to get to Wembley and lift an actual cup. But I would rather not be in the competition at all if the premiership has anything to do with it in any way shape or form.

UTFM

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the competition per se. That Wayne Burnett goal in 98 is a memory I will take to the grave with me - in fact that whole day, that whole weekend is.

You could increase interest by making the early stages as regional as possible. A group with us, Scunny, Lincoln and Donny for instance would probably generate some half decent attendances.

But as others have already eloquently pointed out, none of this is about making the competition interesting, it’s an attempted pre-cursor to integrating B-teams into the football league system.

The only way the current format continues to get support (from the clubs, not the fans) is through bribery. Clubs stand to make more money through the increased prize money subsidised by the Premier League than they would have done from typical attendances for this competition.

That’s all well and good, but it would be absolute suicide for the football league should B-teams ever be allowed to enter the pyramid. Go and take a look at third and fourth tier attendances in Spain if you want evidence of that.

It’s already abundantly clear that the current format does not ‘work’ in the eyes of the supporters, but evidently the powers that be are persisting with it in the hope that over time ill feeling diminishes and attendances creep back up.

That simply cannot be allowed to happen unless you’re happy to kill lower league football in this country in the medium-term. And that, by proxy, means killing Grimsby Town.

Anyone who can’t see that needs to give their head a bloody good shake.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 55
GrimRob
July 11, 2019, 10:53am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
The EFL should scrap it and allow clubs to organise their own local tournaments in much the same format it is now but just the group stages, maybe a final for the top two, and a trophy for the group winner. Even without a sponsor, the local interest alone would generate a fair amount of crowd income.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 48 - 55
Grantham_Mariner
July 11, 2019, 12:31pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,152
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from GrimRob
The EFL should scrap it and allow clubs to organise their own local tournaments in much the same format it is now but just the group stages, maybe a final for the top two, and a trophy for the group winner. Even without a sponsor, the local interest alone would generate a fair amount of crowd income.

It's call the Lincolnshire County Cup and no one is interested in it even though Lincoln & Scunthorpe are in it!

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.