Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › EFL Trophy Draw.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 284 Guests

EFL Trophy Draw.

This thread currently has 8,953 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
bluerose13x
July 9, 2019, 10:58pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +323
No way will I attend these matches.

I'm strong, I won't be bullied into attending
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 55
Son of Cod
July 10, 2019, 12:31am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from crusty ole pie

Ffs why ? I have never attended one of these games but feel we ALL need to come together show the potential new owner what a great club with fantastic supporters  we are , let’s be quite truthful this protest is more about mr.f and his past views on the competition. It’s here it’s staying the final attendances prove that and do you really want to see the club make a financial loss in any game, stewards still need to be employed turnstiles need to be manned etc
Let’s try something new teatime kick offs  with very cheap admission to encourage the younger supporter

Or maybe let's show any potential new owner that we have the backbone to continue (along with fans of many other L1 and L2 clubs) to not support this kind of shite.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 55
Rik e B
July 10, 2019, 2:27am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
This protest is not about Mr. F and his past views on the competition, (although it was extremely disappointing to find out he and a yes man had crept off to Portugal to be plyed with free expensive wine and agreeing to such an abomination while our Trust board member was oblivious to what was going on) instead look to the protests from the supporters of clubs up and down the land as to the real deeper meaning.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 55
jimgtfc
July 10, 2019, 10:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,091
Gold Stars: 44
I actually really like the format of the competition with the group stages into knockout format. It’s different from the normal domestic cup competitions and is a huge improvement on the Johnston’s Paint trophy or whatever it ended up being called.

It’s just the inclusion of the U23 sides that people don’t like. Scrap them, keep it regionalised, keep the format, offer incentives to teams who play a strong lineup instead of fining them for not doing so and subsidise tickets for juniors. It’s not too late to save this competition but it needs to happen soon before the mud sticks for good and the competition is tarnished forever.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 55
diehardmariner
July 10, 2019, 11:03am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,530
Gold Stars: 536
Exactly!  I'm pretty sure that most people aren't attending these games because of their views on the abomination of the competition, not because of how John Fenty voted on it.  In fact I think Fenty backtracked last summer and said he opposed the format (or something similar, happy to be corrected on that).

This competition and the willingness of fans to not attend is quite simply a war of attrition.   The FL, predominantly the now former top dog in Shaun Harvey, have made their mark in the sand quite clearly.  They want to introduce Premier League Academy sides into a FL competition in the misguided belief it'll entitle them to some further breadcrumbs falling off the top table.  No-one in their right mind would be attracted by the prospect of seeing an Academy side play.  Look at the attendances for Premier League 2 (or in the absence of any look at where these fixtures are played to give you an idea of the real level of interest).   This wasn't about drumming up exercise for the competition, it was about pushing the door ajar so someone could come and kick the whole door in and place Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea Under 23 sides in the league pyramid.  Remember when they tried to shoehorn it in by saying it would help the development of the England side?  This is a long standing agenda for the footballing authorities in this country.

The last two years the finals have sold good numbers of tickets (Portsmouth & Sunderland not traditional lower league clubs so perhaps not as aware/concerned with the issue at hand, Lincoln's recent swell of fans suggest the majority may not also be aware/care about the issue).   If you take those gates out the equation, the new concept of the competition is a farce.  You've got games played out in front a man and a dog.    

The best thing for this tournament is if a side like Town get to the final and we take 50 people to Wembley, ideally against opposition with similar support.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 55
golfer
July 10, 2019, 1:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,425
Gold Stars: 115
The only way that I would agree to academy teams being allowed into this competition is if they want the experience then they pay for it. £250K for each academy team to enter is a nice round figure to be shared equally amongst all the other entrants. It would either stop them or give other clubs a little in the bank. If you want it then you pay for it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 55
July 10, 2019, 1:54pm
Guest User
how much could our club earn from these matches ??? i cant remember the figures.!
Reply: 26 - 55
Malta_Mariner_90
July 10, 2019, 2:04pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from golfer
The only way that I would agree to academy teams being allowed into this competition is if they want the experience then they pay for it. £250K for each academy team to enter is a nice round figure to be shared equally amongst all the other entrants. It would either stop them or give other clubs a little in the bank. If you want it then you pay for it.

Nice idea, maybe they can pay a couple of million and take our place in the Football League while they are at it. One way of loans being repaid anyway  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 55
codcheeky
July 10, 2019, 2:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from golfer

NO! And no again, 250K is what a lot of these top clubs pay one player per week, it is peanuts to them.........
How much to have a second team in league 2, a couple of million, because that is were they want it to lead
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 55
Grantham_Mariner
July 10, 2019, 4:56pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,184
Gold Stars: 50
No way do I want Premier U23 teams in the football League.

Emagine playing.....

Arsenal at Boremham Wood
Chesea at Aldershot
Everton at Southport
Liverpool at Tranmere
Man Untd at Leagh Centurians
or
Tottenham at Stevenage

Crap games at crap venues.

So until it is made extremely clear that it will never happen I will not support the current format for the EFL Trophy.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › EFL Trophy Draw.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.