Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 9, 2019, 5:36pm
For those few interested, Town have been drawn alongside Scunny and Sunderland and a yet to be drawn academy side.

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2019/july/efl-draw-news/
Posted by: friskneymariner, July 9, 2019, 5:53pm; Reply: 1
Meh!
Posted by: forza ivano, July 9, 2019, 6:16pm; Reply: 2
Zzzzzzz,,,
Posted by: dicko995, July 9, 2019, 6:25pm; Reply: 3
Washing my hair that night.
Posted by: Rik e B, July 9, 2019, 6:46pm; Reply: 4
Non football.
Posted by: Poojah, July 9, 2019, 7:05pm; Reply: 5
It’s a shame really, because under different circumstances an extra game against Scunny and a possible away trip to the Stadium of Light would be vaguely exciting fixtures.

In the context of the current format however I literally couldn’t care less and won’t be going to any of them.
Posted by: bigbadmarinerbob, July 9, 2019, 7:09pm; Reply: 6
Next
Posted by: psgmariner, July 9, 2019, 7:13pm; Reply: 7
It's a no from me.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 9, 2019, 7:44pm; Reply: 8
Scunts game will now be played at 3am
Posted by: crusty ole pie, July 9, 2019, 8:04pm; Reply: 9
Dare I suggest it’s time to put this protest to bed, not sure if the idea is new about the penalty shoot out if scores are level at full time but i do think it’s a novel idea, and think the club now need to take a lead extremely cheap admission free to season ticket holders
Over to you red crossers
Posted by: golfer, July 9, 2019, 8:08pm; Reply: 10
Due to the vast interest in these games all ale houses in the vicinity will be closed 4 hours before until 4 hours  after to prevent any crowd trouble-as expected reinforcement bobbies will be brought in from across the waters.
Posted by: Cambs Mariner, July 9, 2019, 8:15pm; Reply: 11
Personally. I would like us to be the first team that had zero home fans attend one of these games.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, July 9, 2019, 8:30pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Cambs Mariner
Personally. I would like us to be the first team that had zero home fans attend one of these games.

Ffs why ? I have never attended one of these games but feel we ALL need to come together show the potential new owner what a great club with fantastic supporters  we are , let’s be quite truthful this protest is more about mr.f and his past views on the competition. It’s here it’s staying the final attendances prove that and do you really want to see the club make a financial loss in any game, stewards still need to be employed turnstiles need to be manned etc
Let’s try something new teatime kick offs  with very cheap admission to encourage the younger supporter
Posted by: Stadium, July 9, 2019, 8:32pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from crusty ole pie
Dare I suggest it’s time to put this protest to bed, not sure if the idea is new about the penalty shoot out if scores are level at full time but i do think it’s a novel idea, and think the club now need to take a lead extremely cheap admission free to season ticket holders
Over to you red crossers

Well the latter won't happen I'm sure.
Why on earth you would want to support the idea which is basically the PL trying to "introduce' B teams into the lower league football is beyond me but everybody's entitled to their opinion.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, July 9, 2019, 8:34pm; Reply: 14
I certainly don’t want b teams in the league but where is the evidence that this is happening  
Posted by: crusty ole pie, July 9, 2019, 8:37pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Stadium

But you expect ST holders to be given free admission?

Don’t expect anything just think the club needs to help the supporters to build bridges
Posted by: Abdul19, July 9, 2019, 9:44pm; Reply: 16
Hopefully the Sunderland game will be as well attended as the last time we played a side of theirs in this competition.
Posted by: Rik e B, July 9, 2019, 9:57pm; Reply: 17
Over to you red crossers

That's what they want, for everyone to eventually give up, roll over and accept. We must stand firm until this abomination is scrapped.
Posted by: ska face, July 9, 2019, 10:23pm; Reply: 18

Ffs why ? I have never attended one of these games but feel we ALL need to come together show the potential new owner what a great club with fantastic supporters  we are , let’s be quite truthful this protest is more about mr.f and his past views on the competition. It’s here it’s staying the final attendances prove that and do you really want to see the club make a financial loss in any game, stewards still need to be employed turnstiles need to be manned etc
Let’s try something new teatime kick offs  with very cheap admission to encourage the younger supporter

wow. Pathetic.
Posted by: lukeo, July 9, 2019, 10:48pm; Reply: 19
Not interested. Get rid of the academy teams ands play it regionalised and I will then support it.
Posted by: bluerose13x, July 9, 2019, 10:58pm; Reply: 20
No way will I attend these matches.

I'm strong, I won't be bullied into attending
Posted by: Son of Cod, July 10, 2019, 12:31am; Reply: 21

Or maybe let's show any potential new owner that we have the backbone to continue (along with fans of many other L1 and L2 clubs) to not support this kind of shite.
Posted by: Rik e B, July 10, 2019, 2:27am; Reply: 22
This protest is not about Mr. F and his past views on the competition, (although it was extremely disappointing to find out he and a yes man had crept off to Portugal to be plyed with free expensive wine and agreeing to such an abomination while our Trust board member was oblivious to what was going on) instead look to the protests from the supporters of clubs up and down the land as to the real deeper meaning.
Posted by: jimgtfc, July 10, 2019, 10:54am; Reply: 23
I actually really like the format of the competition with the group stages into knockout format. It’s different from the normal domestic cup competitions and is a huge improvement on the Johnston’s Paint trophy or whatever it ended up being called.

It’s just the inclusion of the U23 sides that people don’t like. Scrap them, keep it regionalised, keep the format, offer incentives to teams who play a strong lineup instead of fining them for not doing so and subsidise tickets for juniors. It’s not too late to save this competition but it needs to happen soon before the mud sticks for good and the competition is tarnished forever.
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 10, 2019, 11:03am; Reply: 24
Exactly!  I'm pretty sure that most people aren't attending these games because of their views on the abomination of the competition, not because of how John Fenty voted on it.  In fact I think Fenty backtracked last summer and said he opposed the format (or something similar, happy to be corrected on that).

This competition and the willingness of fans to not attend is quite simply a war of attrition.   The FL, predominantly the now former top dog in Shaun Harvey, have made their mark in the sand quite clearly.  They want to introduce Premier League Academy sides into a FL competition in the misguided belief it'll entitle them to some further breadcrumbs falling off the top table.  No-one in their right mind would be attracted by the prospect of seeing an Academy side play.  Look at the attendances for Premier League 2 (or in the absence of any look at where these fixtures are played to give you an idea of the real level of interest).   This wasn't about drumming up exercise for the competition, it was about pushing the door ajar so someone could come and kick the whole door in and place Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea Under 23 sides in the league pyramid.  Remember when they tried to shoehorn it in by saying it would help the development of the England side?  This is a long standing agenda for the footballing authorities in this country.

The last two years the finals have sold good numbers of tickets (Portsmouth & Sunderland not traditional lower league clubs so perhaps not as aware/concerned with the issue at hand, Lincoln's recent swell of fans suggest the majority may not also be aware/care about the issue).   If you take those gates out the equation, the new concept of the competition is a farce.  You've got games played out in front a man and a dog.    

The best thing for this tournament is if a side like Town get to the final and we take 50 people to Wembley, ideally against opposition with similar support.
Posted by: golfer, July 10, 2019, 1:42pm; Reply: 25
The only way that I would agree to academy teams being allowed into this competition is if they want the experience then they pay for it. £250K for each academy team to enter is a nice round figure to be shared equally amongst all the other entrants. It would either stop them or give other clubs a little in the bank. If you want it then you pay for it.
Posted by: 4055 (Guest), July 10, 2019, 1:54pm; Reply: 26
how much could our club earn from these matches ??? i cant remember the figures.!
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, July 10, 2019, 2:04pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from golfer
The only way that I would agree to academy teams being allowed into this competition is if they want the experience then they pay for it. £250K for each academy team to enter is a nice round figure to be shared equally amongst all the other entrants. It would either stop them or give other clubs a little in the bank. If you want it then you pay for it.

Nice idea, maybe they can pay a couple of million and take our place in the Football League while they are at it. One way of loans being repaid anyway  ;)
Posted by: codcheeky, July 10, 2019, 2:06pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from golfer

NO! And no again, 250K is what a lot of these top clubs pay one player per week, it is peanuts to them.........
How much to have a second team in league 2, a couple of million, because that is were they want it to lead
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 10, 2019, 4:56pm; Reply: 29
No way do I want Premier U23 teams in the football League.

Emagine playing.....

Arsenal at Boremham Wood
Chesea at Aldershot
Everton at Southport
Liverpool at Tranmere
Man Untd at Leagh Centurians
or
Tottenham at Stevenage

Crap games at crap venues.

So until it is made extremely clear that it will never happen I will not support the current format for the EFL Trophy.
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 10, 2019, 4:58pm; Reply: 30
I am sure the conference clubs would love them to enter the Trophy,

It would give them a bit more cash and the youths would still get to play against big strong men,

Then we could play Scunny Lincoln, Donny , Bradford or something like that in front of a real crowd.

WIN WIN  8)
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 10, 2019, 5:01pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from grimsby pete
I am sure the conference boys would love them to enter the Trophy,

You mean the FA Trophy ! Might be a good idea.

Posted by: Cod Cheeks, July 10, 2019, 7:16pm; Reply: 32
I will be there as i have been every year
Posted by: Abdul19, July 10, 2019, 7:24pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

You mean the FA Trophy ! Might be a good idea.

Different competition, same bad idea.
Posted by: ska face, July 10, 2019, 7:51pm; Reply: 34
And for those of you who say boycotts don’t work, the competition hasn’t got a sponsor this year for the first time in over 30 years, and the only time ever since its first year.

The protests have been so successful that no company at all want to be associated with the competition. The boycotts have made this absolutely toxic to firms that would put their logo anywhere.

This is an enormous victory and cutting off the only thing that the EFL cares about, money, will eventually strangle the life out of it in its current format.

The fight continues and eventually the EFL’s luck is going to run out for the finals.
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 10, 2019, 8:04pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Abdul19

Different competition, same bad idea.

Not our problem though  ;)

Posted by: pontoon442, July 10, 2019, 10:54pm; Reply: 36
Boycott all the way...
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 10, 2019, 11:15pm; Reply: 37

I'll be boycotting as usual while it's in it's current format.......shame.

Posted by: bluerose13x, July 10, 2019, 11:17pm; Reply: 38
B teams are a horrible idea. I'm horrified at the idea. I decided off my own back not to go when the format changed.

What makes things worse: I'm regarded as either being a bully or a weak pathetic bullying victim by people at the club. I'm not going to go into my personal life and problems when I suffered at hands of bullies at school 20 years ago and made attempts on my life, but GTFC my god, I can never ever forgive the filth that was spoon fed to the accounts manager to say to the media about why people  where staying away.

GTFC in many ways, supporting them in the past, kept me going from weekend to weekend, something to look forward to, something to keep my my head in the right place.

What a way to upset and bring back horrible feelings.

Unforgiveable.

I struggle through the turnstyles on my bad days, now that the club have branded me with a sick label. The day when certain people leave the better.

Lack of consideration of peoples problems, careless inconsiderate use of language.

Unforgivable.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 11, 2019, 12:28am; Reply: 39
Quoted from grimsby pete
I am sure the conference clubs would love them to enter the Trophy,

It would give them a bit more cash and the youths would still get to play against big strong men,

Then we could play Scunny Lincoln, Donny , Bradford or something like that in front of a real crowd.

WIN WIN  8)

What, and get kicked to fcuk!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 11, 2019, 12:33am; Reply: 40
Quoted from ska face
And for those of you who say boycotts don’t work, the competition hasn’t got a sponsor this year for the first time in over 30 years, and the only time ever since its first year.

The protests have been so successful that no company at all want to be associated with the competition. The boycotts have made this absolutely toxic to firms that would put their logo anywhere.

This is an enormous victory and cutting off the only thing that the EFL cares about, money, will eventually strangle the life out of it in its current format.

The fight continues and eventually the EFL’s luck is going to run out for the finals.

Never knew that. That's some result.

And to the person who said it's time to bury the hatchet on this and stop the boycott......if I smash your windows will you bury the hatchett in a few years? [hypothetical qscenario, that is NOT a threat!] It's exactly the right time to stick to our guns, specifically as Town fans. If we do get taken over, the new owners must be left with no uncertainty that Town fans won't take crap lying down and that we are a determined bunch and great to have on your side.
Posted by: Rik e B, July 11, 2019, 12:52am; Reply: 41
A very pertinent point Bluerose,  sorry to hear about your struggles and happy you soldiered through them.

Just highlights how disgusting the behaviour and terminology banded about by our inconsiderate overlords has been. I used to defend Fenty to a degree but have been utterly sickened in recent times.

Again, this boycott goes way beyond our little once proud Club and stands up for the very foundation of our game, just their words and actions add an extra bitter taste.
Posted by: MarinerMal, July 11, 2019, 8:22am; Reply: 42
I certainly don’t want b teams in the league but where is the evidence that this is happening  

Because they tried previously but were refused by the EFL72... there is your evidence.

This is competition is a direct result of that refusal.

They have artificially created this competition and the Premier League clubs put money into the pot for the competitions prize money.

Now ask yourself why would they do that? Out of the kindness of their hearts?

No, they want you to get used to the idea of your club competing against the U23's with the eventual long term aim of introducing 'B' teams in the the EFL. Looking at some of the post on this thread, that strategy is certainly working.

They pump money into the Prize Pot to entice clubs to participate and they keep increasing it. It will get to a point were clubs get so used to this income they will start to incorporate into the season plans and budgets. At which point don't be surprised if the Prem clubs use this additional income as a negotiating tactic in getting their B teams into the EFL. "Let us have B teams or we'll withdraw our funding!"

You could think this is just a lot of supposition and paranoia. But ask yourself when did the Premier League clubs last do something that benefits anyone else but themselves? Then ask yourself why they are so supportive of this competition?

If they want their young players to have competitive game time, send them on loan to clubs that fit their footballing philosophy.

Don't take the place of lower league clubs in the Football League.... because that is what will happen.

Posted by: wuffing, July 11, 2019, 8:27am; Reply: 43
Quoted from bluerose13x
B teams are a horrible idea. I'm horrified at the idea. I decided off my own back not to go when the format changed.

What makes things worse: I'm regarded as either being a bully or a weak pathetic bullying victim by people at the club. I'm not going to go into my personal life and problems when I suffered at hands of bullies at school 20 years ago and made attempts on my life, but GTFC my god, I can never ever forgive the filth that was spoon fed to the accounts manager to say to the media about why people  where staying away.

GTFC in many ways, supporting them in the past, kept me going from weekend to weekend, something to look forward to, something to keep my my head in the right place.

What a way to upset and bring back horrible feelings.

Unforgiveable.

I struggle through the turnstyles on my bad days, now that the club have branded me with a sick label. The day when certain people leave the better.

Lack of consideration of peoples problems, careless inconsiderate use of language.

Unforgivable.

Its ok Bluerose. You identified something wrong, sinister and underhand that was trying to be introduced into our leagues from the big boys and by persons in power in the football league set-up that were willing to sell us out. You, like myself and others stood up for what you think is right, and it is right. You are not the weak, or the bullying one. They are the weak and bullying ones in the stance that they are taking and show their weaknesses by trying to intimidate to try to win. All you have done is highlight individuals and now you know who they are, you are better off for it. Don't get downbeat. You are showing strength and passion like all true football fans do in such situations. Sometimes, in situations like this, depending on who you are and where you work, it can be hard to take a stance. But you have done and hats off to you for it Bluerose. Well done and keep the faith.
Posted by: Posh Harry, July 11, 2019, 8:40am; Reply: 44
Quoted from MarinerMal

Because they tried previously but were refused by the EFL72... there is your evidence.

This is competition is a direct result of that refusal.

They have artificially created this competition and the Premier League clubs put money into the pot for the competitions prize money.

Now ask yourself why would they do that? Out of the kindness of their hearts?

No, they want you to get used to the idea of your club competing against the U23's with the eventual long term aim of introducing 'B' teams in the the EFL. Looking at some of the post on this thread, that strategy is certainly working.

They pump money into the Prize Pot to entice clubs to participate and they keep increasing it. It will get to a point were clubs get so used to this income they will start to incorporate into the season plans and budgets. At which point don't be surprised if the Prem clubs use this additional income as a negotiating tactic in getting their B teams into the EFL. "Let us have B teams or we'll withdraw our funding!"

You could think this is just a lot of supposition and paranoia. But ask yourself when did the Premier League clubs last do something that benefits anyone else but themselves? Then ask yourself why they are so supportive of this competition?

If they want their young players to have competitive game time, send them on loan to clubs that fit their footballing philosophy.

Don't take the place of lower league clubs in the Football League.... because that is what will happen.

Sums it up perfectly for me 👍
Posted by: 1mickylyons, July 11, 2019, 10:13am; Reply: 45
The bullying thing it was suggested some fans who wanted to attend had been branded amongst other things snakes. I mean oh dear how very upsetting that must have been? Meanwhile back in the real world the vast majority of fans who didnt wish to attend for a whole raft of reasons in relation to stopping Prem B teams were deemed bullies even though they were actually standing together to stop there clubs being bullied. This competition was soley created to give players and fans of lower league clubs the opportunity to go to Wembley in a competition with the revenue being a small added bonus. Mr Harvey et al have completely missed the point of this and unless it reverts back I think most fans want the competition scrapped altogether it`s flipping pointless.
Posted by: Posh Harry, July 11, 2019, 10:18am; Reply: 46
Quoted from 1mickylyons
The bullying thing it was suggested some fans who wanted to attend had been branded amongst other things snakes. I mean oh dear how very upsetting that must have been? Meanwhile back in the real world the vast majority of fans who didnt wish to attend for a whole raft of reasons in relation to stopping Prem B teams were deemed bullies even though they were actually standing together to stop there clubs being bullied. This competition was soley created to give players and fans of lower league clubs the opportunity to go to Wembley in a competition with the revenue being a small added bonus. Mr Harvey et al have completely missed the point of this and unless it reverts back I think most fans want the competition scrapped altogether it`s flipping pointless.

Yep. I personally don’t want the competition scrapped. It is one of the few ways a club like ours would be able to get to Wembley and lift an actual cup. But I would rather not be in the competition at all if the premiership has anything to do with it in any way shape or form.

UTFM
Posted by: Poojah, July 11, 2019, 10:33am; Reply: 47
Quoted from Posh Harry

Yep. I personally don’t want the competition scrapped. It is one of the few ways a club like ours would be able to get to Wembley and lift an actual cup. But I would rather not be in the competition at all if the premiership has anything to do with it in any way shape or form.

UTFM

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the competition per se. That Wayne Burnett goal in 98 is a memory I will take to the grave with me - in fact that whole day, that whole weekend is.

You could increase interest by making the early stages as regional as possible. A group with us, Scunny, Lincoln and Donny for instance would probably generate some half decent attendances.

But as others have already eloquently pointed out, none of this is about making the competition interesting, it’s an attempted pre-cursor to integrating B-teams into the football league system.

The only way the current format continues to get support (from the clubs, not the fans) is through bribery. Clubs stand to make more money through the increased prize money subsidised by the Premier League than they would have done from typical attendances for this competition.

That’s all well and good, but it would be absolute suicide for the football league should B-teams ever be allowed to enter the pyramid. Go and take a look at third and fourth tier attendances in Spain if you want evidence of that.

It’s already abundantly clear that the current format does not ‘work’ in the eyes of the supporters, but evidently the powers that be are persisting with it in the hope that over time ill feeling diminishes and attendances creep back up.

That simply cannot be allowed to happen unless you’re happy to kill lower league football in this country in the medium-term. And that, by proxy, means killing Grimsby Town.

Anyone who can’t see that needs to give their head a bloody good shake.

Posted by: GrimRob, July 11, 2019, 10:53am; Reply: 48
The EFL should scrap it and allow clubs to organise their own local tournaments in much the same format it is now but just the group stages, maybe a final for the top two, and a trophy for the group winner. Even without a sponsor, the local interest alone would generate a fair amount of crowd income.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 11, 2019, 12:31pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from GrimRob
The EFL should scrap it and allow clubs to organise their own local tournaments in much the same format it is now but just the group stages, maybe a final for the top two, and a trophy for the group winner. Even without a sponsor, the local interest alone would generate a fair amount of crowd income.

It's call the Lincolnshire County Cup and no one is interested in it even though Lincoln & Scunthorpe are in it!

Posted by: grimsby pete, July 11, 2019, 12:37pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from KingstonMariner

What, and get kicked to fcuk!

;D  I thought the idea of the youths playing the men was to toughen them up  ;D
Posted by: GrimRob, July 11, 2019, 1:01pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

It's call the Lincolnshire County Cup and no one is interested in it even though Lincoln & Scunthorpe are in it!

They would be if it is played with first teams and in the regular season rather than as a glorified pre-season friendly.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 11, 2019, 1:51pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from GrimRob

They would be if it is played with first teams and in the regular season rather than as a glorified pre-season friendly.

I can say with confidence I wouldn't!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 11, 2019, 2:29pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from grimsby pete

;D  I thought the idea of the youths playing the men was to toughen them up  ;D

That may be the case when our lads go out on loan, but young men paid several thousands a week are too valuable to risk  ;)
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 12, 2019, 2:18pm; Reply: 54
Leicester is the academy team that will make up the group.
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 12, 2019, 2:30pm; Reply: 55
Excellent, I'm sure the extra game time for Christian Fuchs and Matty James will majorly improve England's chances at next summers Euros.
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 6:27am