13 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 All Recommend Thread
Ashby mariner
June 28, 2019, 8:29am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 8
Hi me and my lad are going on the 6th of July.
Does anyone know if you just pay on the day?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Croxton
June 28, 2019, 9:33am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Clee town website says £6 adults, £4 concessions. Tickets from Linden club and a few other places not accessible for exiles. Last year I phoned club. They took my name and said pay on day. Don't rely on that! Seem to remember ticket details were posted on GTFC News week before. Plenty of room last year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 126
FishOutOfWater
June 28, 2019, 2:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
I know someone who has bought a couple of tickets that because of a change in circumstances are now going spare... face value if you are interested?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 126
CleeDavid
June 28, 2019, 11:10pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +71
Gold Stars: 8
It is designated an "all-ticket" match with a safety capacity of around 1800, which was reached last season.

There is a possibility of pay at the gate depending on sales, but to be sure of entry purchase a ticket (adults £6, over 65s & under 18s £4) at:

Blundell Park
Linden Club
Pygott & Crone (Gy and Clee)
Tilletts (Seaview Street)
Sonnies Barbers (Humberston).

For any exiles or other fans out of town, feel free to email me at the address below and I will endeavour to reserve you a ticket on the gate at the appropriate price.

secretary@cleethorpestownfc.co.uk

Hope you don't mind an Owl on your forum and I hope the info helps.

Best of luck to the Mariners for a successful season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 126
lukeo
June 29, 2019, 6:46am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Quoted from CleeDavid
It is designated an "all-ticket" match with a safety capacity of around 1800, which was reached last season.

There is a possibility of pay at the gate depending on sales, but to be sure of entry purchase a ticket (adults £6, over 65s & under 18s £4) at:

Blundell Park
Linden Club

For any exiles or other fans out of town, feel free to email me at the address below and I will endeavour to reserve you a ticket on the gate at the appropriate price.

Yyoure welcome anytime. I'm sure your advice has helped a few. Thank you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 126
codcheeky
June 29, 2019, 11:29am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from CleeDavid

Blundell Park
Linden Club

Excellent, swift reply, would that we had someone at GTFC who would think to do this
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 126
Marinerz93
June 29, 2019, 11:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from CleeDavid

Blundell Park
Linden Club

Welcome CleeDavid, we are a friendly bunch and I wish Clee Town all best for the coming season.

Let's try and get as many of us down to this local game.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 126
grimsby pete
June 29, 2019, 1:28pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
With the signings we have made so far I think we might beat Clee this time.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 126
Gaffer58
June 29, 2019, 7:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
News flash, due to the potential for trouble ( history of lots of aggro between the two sets of fans) the police have now moved the kick off to 8.30 am, that's am, please be aware that there will also be body searches prior to entering so please be patient.

Just joking ( I think)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 126
denni266
June 29, 2019, 8:22pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from Gaffer58
News flash, due to the potential for trouble ( history of lots of aggro between the two sets of fans) the police have now moved the kick off to 8.30 am, that's am, please be aware that there will also be body searches prior to entering so please be patient.

Just joking ( I think)

Will that apply to the car boot sale . or are the police moving that to the afternoon, and beer in plastic cups not to be taken down the rows of stalls  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 126
Heisenberg
June 29, 2019, 8:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,044
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from CleeDavid

Blundell Park
Linden Club

Are you for real? Would you consider yourself an Owl over being a Mariner, really? Surely not? If so, why the hatred for town? Why would you go out of your way to avoid being a town fan and choose Cleethorpes instead? Don’t get me wrong, I understand the stance of FC United of Manchester etc, but seriously, town need all the help they can get. I just don’t get it, I thought all people who followed Cleethorpes were Town fans first and foremost? Have I got this totally wrong?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 126
Stadium
June 29, 2019, 10:44pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,924
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Heisenberg

Are you for real? Would you consider yourself an Owl over being a Mariner, really? Surely not? If so, why the hatred for town? Why would you go out of your way to avoid being a town fan and choose Cleethorpes instead? Don’t get me wrong, I understand the stance of FC United of Manchester etc, but seriously, town need all the help they can get. I just don’t get it, I thought all people who followed Cleethorpes were Town fans first and foremost? Have I got this totally wrong?

Log off,you've been out in the sun too long.
Idiotic reply to a really informative post.
No wonder this forum is ridiculed at times with replies like this.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 126
KingstonMariner
June 29, 2019, 11:06pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Heisenberg. That’s out of character. Too much Vimto.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 126
Heisenberg
June 29, 2019, 11:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Heisenberg. That’s out of character. Too much Vimto.

Normally you’d have me there, I do love vimto. But I was being genuine. Maybe I’m on my own with this, but ‘an owl’? Really?! I find that baffling.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 126
KingstonMariner
June 30, 2019, 12:28am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Heisenberg

Normally you’d have me there, I do love vimto. But I was being genuine. Maybe I’m on my own with this, but ‘an owl’? Really?! I find that baffling.

Shame

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 126
Northbank Mariner
June 30, 2019, 7:07am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Heisenberg

Correct me if wrong but I think you've got this all wrong...as an "owl" he means a Cleethorpes fan, not Sheffield Wednesday which I what I think you are thinking!!...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 126
Heisenberg
June 30, 2019, 7:58am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Correct me if wrong but I think you've got this all wrong...as an "owl" he means a Cleethorpes fan, not Sheffield Wednesday which I what I think you are thinking!!...

No, I’m aware, there’s no confusion. I just think that someone from the area who chooses to be ‘an Owl’ is for some reason refusing to be a Mariner, and I don’t know why anybody would do that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 126
Northbank Mariner
June 30, 2019, 8:02am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Heisenberg

No, I’m aware, there’s no confusion. I just think that someone from the area who chooses to be ‘an Owl’ is for some reason refusing to be a Mariner, and I don’t know why anybody would do that.

Afraid my old mate it's quite simple...it's called freedom of choice...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 126
Yoda
June 30, 2019, 11:28am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,161
Gold Stars: 71
I go and watch Clee Town now and then and a lot of the fans there are Town fans always checking the town score.

Most i have talked to go because it’s more entertaining than watching Town under Slade and Jolly, it is also a lot cheaper, and you can get a pint at half time.

The majority there want down to do well but have lost all enthusiasm for going to watch them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 126
dapperz fun pub
June 30, 2019, 1:08pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Yoda
I go and watch Clee Town now and then and a lot of the fans there are Town fans always checking the town score.

Most i have talked to go because it’s more entertaining than watching Town under Slade and Jolly, it is also a lot cheaper, and you can get a pint at half time.

The majority there want down to do well but have lost all enthusiasm for going to watch them.

I’ve been a couple of times with mates but it didn’t give me the same buzz as when town score  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 126
jock dock tower
June 30, 2019, 1:18pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
As an exiled Meggie I think it's great that my home town now has another football club that seem to be doing very well, both on and off the pitch. Were I still living in Cleethorpes there's no doubt I would go and watch on days when they didn't clash with doing so at Town. I used to do similar when Grimsby Borough played at the King George Stadium in the late 1980s. It's called being a football fan, and I much preferred doing that to spending the afternoon at home twiddling my thumbs.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 126
Heisenberg
June 30, 2019, 1:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Afraid my old mate it's quite simple...it's called freedom of choice...

And that’s the way it should be, absolutely. I just think it’s a bit weird. I wouldn’t rule out it being ME who’s the weirdo though, it has been known.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 126
dapperz fun pub
June 30, 2019, 1:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from jock dock tower
As an exiled Meggie I think it's great that my home town now has another football club that seem to be doing very well, both on and off the pitch. Were I still living in Cleethorpes there's no doubt I would go and watch on days when they didn't clash with doing so at Town. I used to do similar when Grimsby Borough played at the King George Stadium in the late 1980s. It's called being a football fan, and I much preferred doing that to spending the afternoon at home twiddling my thumbs.

Coming from someone who gets excited watching 15th tier jock football your a proper footy fanatic mate
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 126
Kris2
June 30, 2019, 2:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Heisenberg

To support the development of football in their home town? To support grassroots football growing into the game and advancing up the leagues? To support the young local players who end up playing for teams like this after bigger local teams throw them out on their bottom? Because maybe football at that level feels more real than league football and all its advertising,sponsorship and money grabbing by player egos.

There are lots of reasons, but either way there should be multiple football teams in the area to support and everyone has the choice to decide who they support. You don't have to support the "big" club in the area just because it's the biggest. You can be proud of being from Cleethorpes and not Grimsby by supporting your local football team.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 126
mr b
June 30, 2019, 4:56pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +27
May have the fact Dave is a cockney that moved up north and has been involved with Clee Town from the early days , he is actually a Portsmouth fan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 126
jock dock tower
June 30, 2019, 6:37pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Coming from someone who gets excited watching 15th tier jock football your a proper footy fanatic mate

Our grade of football is most definitely non league, but it's a damn good standard. We reacced the 5th round of the Scottish Cup this year, beating Ayr United en route, who were top of the Championship at the time. We got gubbed 4-0 at Hearts, but that's the second time we've played there at this stage of the tournament in the last eight years. I can not remember having had that luxury following Town in the 25 years I was a regular at BP? It's football as it should be, and as I've reached official OAP status this year my season ticket for our 15 home league games for 2019-20 is just £42, less than £3 per game.

Watching Town is now a luxury for me, and one I always look forward to, especially the away games in the north west.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 126
dapperz fun pub
June 30, 2019, 7:47pm
Special Brew Drinker

Our grade of football is most definitely non league, but it's a damn good standard. We reacced the 5th round of the Scottish Cup this year, beating Ayr United en route, who were top of the Championship at the time. We got gubbed 4-0 at Hearts, but that's the second time we've played there at this stage of the tournament in the last eight years. I can not remember having had that luxury following Town in the 25 years I was a regular at BP? It's football as it should be, and as I've reached official OAP status this year my season ticket for our 15 home league games for 2019-20 is just £42, less than £3 per game.

Watching Town is now a luxury for me, and one I always look forward to, especially the away games in the north west.

Glad you enjoy the football mate whoever it is 👍
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 126
jock dock tower
July 1, 2019, 11:55am
Special Brew Drinker
Here's why I'm now every bit as passionate about Auchinleck Talbot as I am the Town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7zgo1ZNpaM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 126
BarkerDan10
July 1, 2019, 11:59am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +202
Here's why I'm now every bit as passionate about Auchinleck Talbot as I am the Town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7zgo1ZNpaM

Have to agree with you. My dad lives in Largs and whenever I go to visit, we always make a point of watching Largs Thistle. Very enjoyable football and always a friendly crowd too.

Sailing In International Waters, my first book about Grimsby Town’s international players available from
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Saili.....589795010&sr=8-1
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 126
thornemariner
July 1, 2019, 12:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +655
Gold Stars: 22
Two adult tickets for Clee Town friendly going free to a good home. Let me know if interested. Two no shows and I'd prefer someone got to use them.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 126
coddy60
July 1, 2019, 10:19pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Heisenberg

Silly twit, Dave's an exiled cockney who puts his heart and soul into Clee Town. You've embarrased yourself massively there 👊💦
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 126
lukeo
July 1, 2019, 10:26pm
Season Ticket Holder
Heisenburg if we all stuck to your theory the only football teams around would be cities and big 'towns'.. What you're saying you could also say to Stockport, Accrington, fc unitedd and Manchester united fans.. Why support them when you can follow a 'decent' team, man City winning the prem etc..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 126
Heisenberg
July 1, 2019, 10:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from lukeo
Heisenburg if we all stuck to your theory the only football teams around would be cities and big 'towns'.. What you're saying you could also say to Stockport, Accrington, fc unitedd and Manchester united fans.. Why support them when you can follow a 'decent' team, man City winning the prem etc..

I’m obviously in the minority here, ok. The way I see it is, maybe think of Blackpool a few years back. Their friendly neighbours fleetwood weren’t a threat at all, and probably spun the same line saying just as much. That didn’t stop them going a division above Blackpool in the matter of a few years. All of a sudden, fleetwood had the means to really give it a good go, so they did, and I’d imagine that not one player or fan of fleetwood regretted it or had 2nd thoughts about taking over local bragging rights. Any local side who has their own ground and can afford to pay ex-league players a wage is a threat.

Anyway, I’ll leave it at that as I’m on my own with this one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 126
fishboyUTM
July 1, 2019, 11:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Yoda

This is very sad, but I think is reflective of the mood amongst Town fans. Gates were as poor as the performances towards the latter end of last season. I, myself chose to stay at home for several games last season despite having paid for my season ticket as I was (to borrow a phrase from JF) quite frankly bored out of my bonce. Michael Jolley himself needs to take this negativity on board and turn it into a positive. And the only way he's going to do that is by playing attacking football instead of trying to strangle the life out of games and nick something. The club need to engage with the lost fans, let's hope we can get that takeover done and we can begin a new era together.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 126
lukeo
July 2, 2019, 5:59am
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Heisenberg

I’m obviously in the minority here, ok. The way I see it is, maybe think of Blackpool a few years back. Their friendly neighbours fleetwood weren’t a threat at all, and probably spun the same line saying just as much. That didn’t stop them going a division above Blackpool in the matter of a few years. All of a sudden, fleetwood had the means to really give it a good go, so they did, and I’d imagine that not one player or fan of fleetwood regretted it or had 2nd thoughts about taking over local bragging rights. Any local side who has their own ground and can afford to pay ex-league players a wage is a threat.

Anyway, I’ll leave it at that as I’m on my own with this one.

We all have our opinions and I respect yours.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 126
OllieGTFC
July 2, 2019, 8:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
Apparently town are going away for a few days does anyone know where ?

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 126
The Yard Dog
July 2, 2019, 9:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,500
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from thornemariner
Two adult tickets for Clee Town friendly going free to a good home. Let me know if interested. Two no shows and I'd prefer someone got to use them.

Interested, if not already gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 126
wuffing
July 2, 2019, 9:15pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from OllieGTFC

Cleethorpes

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 126
OllieGTFC
July 3, 2019, 5:33am
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
Quoted from wuffing

Cleethorpes

😂😂 wouldn’t surprise me

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 126
lukeo
July 3, 2019, 7:19am
Season Ticket Holder
Skegvages
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 126
You stripes UTM
July 3, 2019, 8:10am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +116
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from OllieGTFC

Cheshire mate.

"IT'S BOGLE! AGAIN!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 126
conscorner
July 6, 2019, 10:08am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +298
Gold Stars: 3
GTFC club shop and ticket office quite busy this morning - season ticket sales and tickets for Cleethorpes Town still available.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 126
AdamHaddock
July 6, 2019, 11:30am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,838
Gold Stars: 26
Will the club shop be open after today's game?

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 126
Mallyner
July 6, 2019, 11:45am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from lukeo
Skegvages

Oh of course, the Jolley Fisherman.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 126
Stew0_0
July 6, 2019, 11:47am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,196
Gold Stars: 35
I have 1 Ticket for sale £6 if anyone interested.
My father not well today so i have a spare.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 126
Lambretta Mariner
July 6, 2019, 12:01pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +140
Is Elliot Whitehouse involved at all today or still recovering?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 126
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
July 6, 2019, 2:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from Lambretta Mariner
Is Elliot Whitehouse involved at all today or still recovering?

Starting in the first half

As are ogbu, green and Hanson as a front three! Oosh
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 126
Hagrid
July 6, 2019, 2:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,392
Gold Stars: 534
2 trialists starting
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 126
Tangerine Chris
July 6, 2019, 2:55pm
Old git with a sense of humour
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: -24
FIRST HALF: McKeown, Hendrie, Davis, Trialist A, Trialist B, Hessenthaler, Clifton, Whitehouse, Ogbu, Green, Hanson.

IF YOU PLAY FOR THE BADGE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT
THEY WILL REMEMBER THE NAME ON THE BACK OF IT

You can change your wife, your house, your car, but you can never change your team.
Chairmen come and go, boards come and go, but the fans remain.
They are the one true constant

Eddie Thompson OBE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 126
bawarmy
July 6, 2019, 2:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Approval: +2,009
Anyone know who the number 5 is?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 126
jimgtfc
July 6, 2019, 2:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 45
Someone on Twitter reckons it’s Alex Wynter, ex Colchester and Eastleigh centre half. Jack Senior is the trialist at left back.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 126
jimgtfc
July 6, 2019, 3:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 45
Apparently there’s another trialist amongst the substitutes.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 126
Madeleymariner
July 6, 2019, 3:02pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
Guessing its 433
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 126
Stew0_0
July 6, 2019, 3:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Number 3 looks like jack senior. Not sure of 5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 126
IlkleyMariner
July 6, 2019, 3:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
1-0 mariners after 11 mins
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 126
Tangerine Chris
July 6, 2019, 3:18pm
Table Wine Drinker
1 0 GTFC (11 mins) Green scorer

You can change your wife, your house, your car, but you can never change your team.

Eddie Thompson OBE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 126
IlkleyMariner
July 6, 2019, 3:22pm
Champagne Drinker
2-0 now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 126
bawarmy
July 6, 2019, 3:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
2-0
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 126
Hagrid
July 6, 2019, 3:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,392
Gold Stars: 534
Hanson
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 126
Tangerine Chris
July 6, 2019, 3:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
2 0.  Hanson header

Eddie Thompson OBE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 126
Stew0_0
July 6, 2019, 3:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Green and Hanson with the goals so far
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 126
GollyGTFC
July 6, 2019, 3:26pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,972
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from jimgtfc
Someone on Twitter reckons it’s Alex Wynter.

Who’s the other trialist then? Keanu Reeves?
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 61 - 126
Madeleymariner
July 6, 2019, 3:29pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
Love the official live updates from Towns official Twitter, it never even metioned the first goal
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 126
IlkleyMariner
July 6, 2019, 3:37pm
Champagne Drinker
3-0 mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 126
Stew0_0
July 6, 2019, 3:38pm
Brandy Drinker
3-0 hanson again. Good assist from Senior who looks a decent player. Not as sure about Wynter whos been beaten in the air a fair few times
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 126
promotion plaice
July 6, 2019, 3:39pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Love the official live updates from Towns official Twitter, it never even metioned the first goal

I'm following the GrimsbyLive updates, couldn't make it as I'm on holiday near Scarborough.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.c.....core-updates-3060348

3-0 Town     (Grimsby Town)

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 126
IlkleyMariner
July 6, 2019, 3:50pm
Champagne Drinker
4-0
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 126
Stew0_0
July 6, 2019, 3:50pm
Brandy Drinker
4-0 Hanson hattrick
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 126
denni266
July 6, 2019, 3:52pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 132
So different so far to last year
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 126
zorro_is_a_Mariner
July 6, 2019, 3:54pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
Hanson has been really good this half won everything in the air and very dangerous from crosses

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 126
Stew0_0
July 6, 2019, 4:19pm
Brandy Drinker
5-0 Max Wright
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 126
Davec
July 6, 2019, 4:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Alex Penny was the centre back trialist, obviously Senior was the left back, who's the other 2 trialists in 2nd half?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 126
Stew0_0
July 6, 2019, 4:22pm
Brandy Drinker
6-0 Akheem. Great header
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 126
Stew0_0
July 6, 2019, 4:24pm
Brandy Drinker
7-0 Wright beauty!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 126
Stew0_0
July 6, 2019, 4:25pm
Brandy Drinker
No trialists in the 2nd half yet. Jock Curran and Brandon Buckley in the centre with Hewitt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 126
Stew0_0
July 6, 2019, 4:26pm
Brandy Drinker
8-0 Wright hattrick in 16 minutes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 126
Meza
July 6, 2019, 4:28pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50
Wow they are punishing them haha.  

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 126
Malta_Mariner_90
July 6, 2019, 4:33pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Approval: +796
Obviously only a friendly but important to rattle in a few to get confidence levels up as much as anything. Cannot wait to watch Wright this season, think he will make a big impact based on his loan spells at Scarborough and Boston.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 126
KingstonMariner
July 6, 2019, 4:38pm
Meths Drinker
Clearly the lad's on fire. Chuffed for him. Hope he gets his chance in the first team.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 126
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
July 6, 2019, 4:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Clearly not messing about this pre season, bring on the bigger teams
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 126
Mendonca1995
July 6, 2019, 6:12pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Hanson and green looked very sharp together up top Hanson especially apart from the goals he was a real handful in the air and surprisingly on the floor his movement was decent for a big lad, max wright wow how much he looks to have come on hoping for a big season from him a quality hatrick, Ogbu looked real quality in spells maybe just lacking that bit of fitness but that will come with more games overall a good confidence boost win and to finally see some football, also best of luck to Clee town for the new season utm ⚫️⚪️

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 126
TwoLeftFeet
July 6, 2019, 6:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,076
Gold Stars: 18
Was great to see Whitehouse out there in the black and white stripes
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 126
Abdul19
July 6, 2019, 6:29pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from GollyGTFC

He's finally left Altrincham

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 126
ivanosandwich
July 6, 2019, 6:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,470
Gold Stars: 17
No mention of Ogbu in any posts, how did he play?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 126
Sigone
July 6, 2019, 7:08pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from ivanosandwich
No mention of Ogbu in any posts, how did he play?

Did o.k, played it simple most of the time..played behind the front 2 in a diamond formation..2nd half we went 4-3-3

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 126
Stew0_0
July 6, 2019, 7:12pm
Brandy Drinker
I know it was only a friendly against opposition 4 levels below but we played in complete contrast to the performance this time last year. Clinical going forward, mixed with a direct and creative style and relatively untroubled at the back.

A few notes on individual performances:

Hanson - everything seemed to go through him, lead the line well, great in the air and surprisingly tidy on the deck. Took his goals well.

Senior (Trialist) - played well as both a left back and winger 2nd half. Likes to get forward, looks to have a sweet left foot and had a hand in at least 2 of the goals.

Ogbu - thought he did ok playing in a free role behind the front 2. If we can get him on the ball alot this season can be a real player for us. Good skill to setup the opener. Looking forward to seeing him more.

Green - compliments Hanson well with his willing running, grabbed a goal and helped link the play up well. Early days but can see a G.Jones/Reddy style partnership developing up front this term.

Penny (trialist) - thought he grew into the game and played well at both CB 1st half and RB 2nd. Definitely worth another look against better opposition.

Wright - stole the show in the 2nd half with a hattrick in 16 minutes, nearly added a 4th and his corner was thundered against the bar by Ohman. Was very direct and took the game to Clee. Hope he gets more chances this season.

Thought there was solid performances too from Hess, Ohman, Hendrie and Rose. Great to see Whitehouse get a half too.

To summarise we have added much needed guile, experience and goal threat than last year and definitely an improvement to the squad, on this showing at least and on paper.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 126
moosey_club
July 6, 2019, 7:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Excellent  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 126
promotion plaice
July 6, 2019, 7:29pm

Quoted from Stew0_0
I know it was only a friendly against opposition 4 levels below but we played in complete contrast to the performance this time last year. Clinical going forward, mixed with a direct and creative style and relatively untroubled at the back.

A few notes on individual performances:

Hanson - everything seemed to go through him, lead the line well, great in the air and surprisingly tidy on the deck. Took his goals well.

Senior (Trialist) - played well as both a left back and winger 2nd half. Likes to get forward, looks to have a sweet left foot and had a hand in at least 2 of the goals.

Ogbu - thought he did ok playing in a free role behind the front 2. If we can get him on the ball alot this season can be a real player for us. Good skill to setup the opener. Looking forward to seeing him more.

Green - compliments Hanson well with his willing running, grabbed a goal and helped link the play up well. Early days but can see a G.Jones/Reddy style partnership developing up front this term.

Penny (trialist) - thought he grew into the game and played well at both CB 1st half and RB 2nd. Definitely worth another look against better opposition.

Wright - stole the show in the 2nd half with a hattrick in 16 minutes, nearly added a 4th and his corner was thundered against the bar by Ohman. Was very direct and took the game to Clee. Hope he gets more chances this season.

Thought there was solid performances too from Hess, Ohman, Hendrie and Rose. Great to see Whitehouse get a half too.

To summarise we have added much needed guile, experience and goal threat than last year and definitely an improvement to the squad, on this showing at least and on paper.

UTM

Thanks for that Stew0_0...........I couldn't make it today.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 126
ivanosandwich
July 6, 2019, 7:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,470
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Sigone

Did o.k, played it simple most of the time..played behind the front 2 in a diamond formation..2nd half we went 4-3-3

Cheers Sigone
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 126
moosey_club
July 6, 2019, 8:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
a very non technical report from me.....

Clifton smashed alot of tackles in today and left a few of theirs reeling in his wake
Hanson gave us a focal point...an intelligent player who looked to link with the oncoming midfielders and those around him
Senior looked best out of the triallists
Wright grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and blitzed his hatrick in great style
Ohman....won his headers...
Green always in around the action and always following in

due to the low pitchside view it was hard to see what formation and to see the full movement of the players but largely we were untroubled throughout.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 126
bawarmy
July 6, 2019, 8:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Was great to see Whitehouse out there in the black and white stripes

His language was a bit ripe though
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 126
arryarryarry
July 6, 2019, 9:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Great to see plenty of decent crosses and what a difference it makes to see someone who can get on the end of them.
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 126
arryarryarry
July 6, 2019, 9:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 126
RonMariner
July 6, 2019, 10:40pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,671
Quoted from arryarryarry

Some superbly taken goals there, especially from Wright. He looked great when he came on at Notts County too. I think this could be his breakthrough year, and it will help having Hanson and Green to feed off.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 126
Poojah
July 6, 2019, 10:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,495
Gold Stars: 1,500
Without ignoring the fact that we were playing step 3 non-league opposition today, there’s just a little something about Max Wright that reminds me of John Oster. Don’t get me wrong, it’s early days and I probably said the same of Graham Hockless 15 years ago but there just seems to be an aura of genuine class about him.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 126
promotion plaice
July 6, 2019, 10:57pm

Quoted from Poojah
Without ignoring the fact that we were playing step 3 non-league opposition today, there’s just a little something about Max Wright that reminds me of John Oster. Don’t get me wrong, it’s early days and I probably said the same of Graham Hockless 15 years ago but there just seems to be an aura of genuine class about him.

Agreed.......the lad looks like he oozes confidence, we could have a real gem here.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 126
Rik e B
July 6, 2019, 11:11pm

Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Yes max looks like exciting things could come to happen, and he's got the big men to feed off now too. Also its seems we seem to have addressed the issues in hand with our previous feebleness up front.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 126
jamesgtfc
July 6, 2019, 11:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Poojah

He was very highly thought of at Scarborough. To start with at Boston he didn't particularly stand out but as the season wore on, he got progressively better, was whipping in great crosses and riding some very nasty challenges as players couldn't stop him.

Irrespective of the level though, his finish into the top corner today was sublime.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 126
Croxton
July 6, 2019, 11:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Really enjoyed what was a well structured preseason opener. Jolley has added experience, skill and goal threat going forward but defence has yet to be tested. Thought Senior was tidy in space and linked well but showed no particular strengths. Worth a second look but would prefer someone who can anchor the left back role especially in away games.
Ogbu has  good close skills and was able to pick the ball up in midfield and look for movement. Equally he has pace when it is his turn to run defenders.
sorry if I've missed some info but where were Cooke, Vernam and Cardwell?
If only we had Hanson last season!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 126
immariner
July 7, 2019, 12:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Approval: +3,411
Gold Stars: 60
Some lovely goals. Black socks look male masturbation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 126
RichMariner
July 7, 2019, 12:56am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
With the added goal threat this season, I won't be so utterly depressed if we concede first - knowing we have ways to get back into a game.

Unlike last season. If we conceded first - even if it was in the first half - you sort of knew it was game over.

With Green, Hanson and Ogbu, plus Wright and Vernam, you know we'll be able to create openings.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 100 - 126
Kris2
July 7, 2019, 2:36am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
It was never really creating openings we had an issue with, it was actually doing something with an opening  .

Now we have a player who seems like he understands how to head a ball usefully we might be on to something and not have so many wasted crosses and balls into the box.
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 126
jaygy
July 7, 2019, 6:30am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
With finishing like that I think Max will be allowed to shoot on sight! He looks like a real prospect and I really hope he gets a real chance this season as the fans have been crying out for a wide player that can add goals as well as provide for others
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 126
fishboyUTM
July 7, 2019, 7:02am
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
Ejoyed the game yesterday. Anyone know why Charles Vernam didn't play? I rate him highly, hope it isn't an injury as he needs a proper pre season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 126
golfer
July 7, 2019, 8:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Quoted from Kris2
It was never really creating openings we had an issue with, it was actually doing something with an opening  .

Now we have a player who seems like he understands how to head a ball usefully we might be on to something and not have so many wasted crosses and balls into the box.

Can't say I really agree with this Kris,I feel our problem last season was the fact that we didn't create enough openings for our strikers. Early days but can see a bit more creativity with this team and not having to rely on one person for our goals Obviously it will be a different ball game against stronger opposition but the future could be looking a little brighter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 126
Grim74
July 7, 2019, 8:49am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Jesus calm down people we beat a pub team I work with one of the players and he’s far far from a professional, it was a good first run out, nice to get the lads scoring and that’s it, anyone thinking about a top ten league position based on that performance is delusional.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 126
moosey_club
July 7, 2019, 9:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Grim74
Jesus calm down people we beat a pub team I work with one of the players and he’s far far from a professional, it was a good first run out, nice to get the lads scoring and that’s it, anyone thinking about a top ten league position based on that performance is delusional.

A pub team who we lost to this time last year....
A clean sheet.....8 goals....two 45 Min hat tricks...
Plenty of "youth" players getting a look in...

Reasons to be cheerful one two three

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 126
Croxton
July 7, 2019, 9:38am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Grim74

Tad harsh on Clee Town. They had spells of good possession and worked some promising openings but very little goal threat. Their young no. 14 defender stuck to his task well and the keeper did well too.
With some defensive additions, I will allow myself the delusion of a top half finish. Oh, and it would it not be good for both clubs if GTFC played some reserve games at the Linden? Is there mileage in some ticket collaboration between the clubs as we have so many empty seats?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 126
Grantham_Mariner
July 7, 2019, 11:57am

Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,184
Gold Stars: 51
No Cook, Vernam or Cardwell mentioned today in any reports, anyone heard if they are injured or ill ?

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 126
crusty ole pie
July 7, 2019, 12:10pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,325
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
No Cook, Vernam or Cardwell mentioned today in any reports, anyone heard if they are injured or ill ?

Wonder if they where playing under the name trialist elsewhere?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 126
cmackenzie4
July 7, 2019, 12:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.26
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Just watched the highlights of the game and there was some excellent goals scored, that Max Wright goal was a thing of beauty 👌

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 126
golfer
July 7, 2019, 12:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

All three in Lyon today  hoping to pick up some tips on goal scoring
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 126
arryarryarry
July 7, 2019, 12:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Grim74

Yes we gave them a good thumping, probably the biggest we have given them and we were far better than them but you are being a bit disrespectful of Cleethorpes Town as they are I believe only 3 promotions away from where we were 3 years ago.
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 126
Civvy at last
July 7, 2019, 1:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,204
Gold Stars: 131
No mention of Ring. Have I missed something??

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 126
Rik e B
July 7, 2019, 4:02pm

Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
I know they say not to read anything into friendlies but we struggled against them last year, then were pretty cack in rest of friendlies and lo and behold the Season wasn't one to remember.

Great to start all guns blazing and positive momentum with free flowing football, hopefully that carries over the campaign proper.

But of course its too early and means nothing right now, just good to build up a head of steam.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 126
mariner91
July 7, 2019, 9:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,641
Gold Stars: 261
Just watched the highlights and I'm really pleased. Obviously we will face much stiffer tests in the friendlies to come and during the season but there were some positive signs from yesterday. Firstly, we were getting the ball out wide. Last season we had no width at all due to some misguided attempts to play 352 and having a squad with no recognisable wide players. Secondly, we were putting in good crosses. Yes there was probably more time for composure but we barely put in a good cross all season last season so if that's being addressed we'll be a much bigger threat going forward.

Hanson looks great, exactly what we need. Ogbu looks exciting going off the assist for the first goal, to put in a cross like that from that sort of position is not easy so I'm really looking forward to seeing just how good he might be. And Max Wright could be the breakthrough star. Really classy looking and looks to actually be really quite strong physically too! Would be great for him to be allowed to develop but he could be another good player for the team like Clifton. Three/four more quality signings and I'll be very happy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 126
lukeo
July 7, 2019, 9:37pm
Season Ticket Holder
Agree with Mariner91 I enjoyed the highlights.. Hanson looks HUGE but clearly knows where the goal is
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 126
wiggers
July 7, 2019, 10:49pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 11
Was there, Cleethorpes offered absolutely nothing, and don’t look as good a side as they were when I saw them last season.  That said Town played some nice stuff at times, were composed and passed it around well. Liked the look of Jack Senior, got forward well and was asking for the ball which is a good sign in my eyes. A good start to pre season, will be interesting to see how we fair against better opposition. Not sure Hanson will get as much time, space and opportunity against better defenders. Max Wright, what can I say, this kid has potential, really hope he gets a decent opportunity to make the match day squad on a regular basis. Looked good last game of the season and again yesterday, could be a real asset. UTM
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 126
diehardmariner
July 8, 2019, 8:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,606
Gold Stars: 538
A lot of the posts above sum up my exact thoughts.

I completely agree it's important to not get carried away about a performance against a part-time side in pre-season, but we did look impressive.  

Hanson and Green worked well together and I'm very keen to see how we fit Wright into that equation with them.  Like most I've been very keen for him to get his chance and he definitely sent a statement to Jolley about what he can offer to the side.  So direct on the wing, a proper throw-back type of winger who runs at his full-back.  Went both inside and outside with a very good end product.  

Interesting that we had two formations for each half, each working well.  Definitely more positive than 12 months ago in the same fixture where we had already become slaves to a system that we didn't have the players for.
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 126
Les Brechin
July 8, 2019, 9:43am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Civvy at last
No mention of Ring. Have I missed something??

Played 2nd half, or do you mean no mention of how he played?

Town SECOND HALF XI: Battersby, Trialist A, Ohman, Pollock, Ring, Hewitt, Curran, Buckley, Wright, Trialist B, Rose

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 126
Malta_Mariner_90
July 8, 2019, 9:58am
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
Hanson and Green worked well together and I'm very keen to see how we fit Wright into that equation with them.  

This will be very interesting. Going on what was said here in the first half we did not use wingers as such but used the full backs to push forward (especially the trialist on the left)  to get the ball in the box. Using a 4 - 3 - 1 - 2 with Ogbu in the whole behind Hanson and Green.

If Wright is going to start you would think it would be in a 4 - 3 - 3/ 4 - 5 - 1 with 1 forward up top, probably Hanson. Bit of a dilema for Jolley as if he wants to play three centre mids (which he mostly does) it is hard to envisage how he keeps two up front and players wingers.

Could we see Wright being used as a sub to begin with to change the game plan if needed? Starting with the 4 - 3 - 1 - 2 and attacking full backs if that is not working, second half switch it up and go 4 - 3 - 3.

Obviously will be interesting to see what formation Jolley goes with against Donny and Peterborough rather than Clee. But I do not think we signed Hanson and Green for one of then to be a bench warmer. But if Wright continues to have an excellent pre-season this could really give Jolley food for thought.

Interesting times ahead in any regard.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 126
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 8, 2019, 10:15am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90

This will be very interesting. Going on what was said here in the first half we did not use wingers as such but used the full backs to push forward (especially the trialist on the left)  to get the ball in the box. Using a 4 - 3 - 1 - 2 with Ogbu in the whole behind Hanson and Green.

If Wright is going to start you would think it would be in a 4 - 3 - 3/ 4 - 5 - 1 with 1 forward up top, probably Hanson. Bit of a dilema for Jolley as if he wants to play three centre mids (which he mostly does) it is hard to envisage how he keeps two up front and players wingers.

Could we see Wright being used as a sub to begin with to change the game plan if needed? Starting with the 4 - 3 - 1 - 2 and attacking full backs if that is not working, second half switch it up and go 4 - 3 - 3.

Obviously will be interesting to see what formation Jolley goes with against Donny and Peterborough rather than Clee. But I do not think we signed Hanson and Green for one of then to be a bench warmer. But if Wright continues to have an excellent pre-season this could really give Jolley food for thought.

Where does all this leave Vernam, Cook and Cardwell?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 126
Malta_Mariner_90
July 8, 2019, 10:21am
Snakebite drinker

Where does all this leave Vernam, Cook and Cardwell?

Same place as they were on Saturday I suspect!

EDIT:

I have now listened to Jolley's post match interview and he more or less says they were not fit. Did not directly say they were injured, but we did not want to risk them. So I guess we would have seen them on Saturday but for injury/fitness.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 126
Maringer
July 8, 2019, 10:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,495
Gold Stars: 185
Didn't Vernam have problems with shin splints last season? Might be trying to ease him in slowly with that in mind. Or am I just imagining that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 126
Malta_Mariner_90
July 8, 2019, 11:03am
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Didn't Vernam have problems with shin splints last season? Might be trying to ease him in slowly with that in mind. Or am I just imagining that?

That does ring a bell, possibly an ongoing issue for him. Hopefully he will be included in the squad tomorrow night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 126
mariner91
July 8, 2019, 11:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,641
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90

4-3-3 might be an option. Ogbu, Wright and Vernam are all capable of operating wide of a target man I would think. Green has been played in those positions as well although my Lincoln supporting mates reckon he's better through the middle. At least we have options this season! Last season we were very, very limited and had no way of changing it up really.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 126
Malta_Mariner_90
July 8, 2019, 11:53am
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from mariner91

4-3-3 might be an option. Ogbu, Wright and Vernam are all capable of operating wide of a target man I would think. Green has been played in those positions as well although my Lincoln supporting mates reckon he's better through the middle. At least we have options this season! Last season we were very, very limited and had no way of changing it up really.

I think this would work very well with Hanson as the target man. Certainly on paper we seem far more threatening going forward with Green, Hanson, Ogbu and Wright now in the mix. The you add in Cook, Vernam and Rose plenty of competition for places up front.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 126
13 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Clee Town friendly

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.