13 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 All Recommend Thread
Malta_Mariner_90
July 8, 2019, 9:58am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from diehardmariner
Hanson and Green worked well together and I'm very keen to see how we fit Wright into that equation with them.  

This will be very interesting. Going on what was said here in the first half we did not use wingers as such but used the full backs to push forward (especially the trialist on the left)  to get the ball in the box. Using a 4 - 3 - 1 - 2 with Ogbu in the whole behind Hanson and Green.

If Wright is going to start you would think it would be in a 4 - 3 - 3/ 4 - 5 - 1 with 1 forward up top, probably Hanson. Bit of a dilema for Jolley as if he wants to play three centre mids (which he mostly does) it is hard to envisage how he keeps two up front and players wingers.

Could we see Wright being used as a sub to begin with to change the game plan if needed? Starting with the 4 - 3 - 1 - 2 and attacking full backs if that is not working, second half switch it up and go 4 - 3 - 3.

Obviously will be interesting to see what formation Jolley goes with against Donny and Peterborough rather than Clee. But I do not think we signed Hanson and Green for one of then to be a bench warmer. But if Wright continues to have an excellent pre-season this could really give Jolley food for thought.

Interesting times ahead in any regard.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 126
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 8, 2019, 10:15am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90

This will be very interesting. Going on what was said here in the first half we did not use wingers as such but used the full backs to push forward (especially the trialist on the left)  to get the ball in the box. Using a 4 - 3 - 1 - 2 with Ogbu in the whole behind Hanson and Green.

If Wright is going to start you would think it would be in a 4 - 3 - 3/ 4 - 5 - 1 with 1 forward up top, probably Hanson. Bit of a dilema for Jolley as if he wants to play three centre mids (which he mostly does) it is hard to envisage how he keeps two up front and players wingers.

Could we see Wright being used as a sub to begin with to change the game plan if needed? Starting with the 4 - 3 - 1 - 2 and attacking full backs if that is not working, second half switch it up and go 4 - 3 - 3.

Obviously will be interesting to see what formation Jolley goes with against Donny and Peterborough rather than Clee. But I do not think we signed Hanson and Green for one of then to be a bench warmer. But if Wright continues to have an excellent pre-season this could really give Jolley food for thought.

Where does all this leave Vernam, Cook and Cardwell?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 126
Malta_Mariner_90
July 8, 2019, 10:21am
Snakebite drinker

Where does all this leave Vernam, Cook and Cardwell?

Same place as they were on Saturday I suspect!

EDIT:

I have now listened to Jolley's post match interview and he more or less says they were not fit. Did not directly say they were injured, but we did not want to risk them. So I guess we would have seen them on Saturday but for injury/fitness.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 126
Maringer
July 8, 2019, 10:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Didn't Vernam have problems with shin splints last season? Might be trying to ease him in slowly with that in mind. Or am I just imagining that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 126
Malta_Mariner_90
July 8, 2019, 11:03am
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Didn't Vernam have problems with shin splints last season? Might be trying to ease him in slowly with that in mind. Or am I just imagining that?

That does ring a bell, possibly an ongoing issue for him. Hopefully he will be included in the squad tomorrow night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 126
mariner91
July 8, 2019, 11:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,646
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90

4-3-3 might be an option. Ogbu, Wright and Vernam are all capable of operating wide of a target man I would think. Green has been played in those positions as well although my Lincoln supporting mates reckon he's better through the middle. At least we have options this season! Last season we were very, very limited and had no way of changing it up really.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 126
Malta_Mariner_90
July 8, 2019, 11:53am
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from mariner91

4-3-3 might be an option. Ogbu, Wright and Vernam are all capable of operating wide of a target man I would think. Green has been played in those positions as well although my Lincoln supporting mates reckon he's better through the middle. At least we have options this season! Last season we were very, very limited and had no way of changing it up really.

I think this would work very well with Hanson as the target man. Certainly on paper we seem far more threatening going forward with Green, Hanson, Ogbu and Wright now in the mix. The you add in Cook, Vernam and Rose plenty of competition for places up front.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 126
13 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Clee Town friendly

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.