pen penfras
May 28, 2019, 1:02pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Bigdog
By the looks of that list, whether it's season ticket sales, pre-season friendlies or whatever..

The club is just stuck in a perpetual, "same as we've always done" mode..

What a boring and repetitive list of fixtures. Nothing for fans to get excited about, no big name club, no pre season tour or "god help the logistics" .. something abroad..

We must be the most "old-school" boring football club in the whole EFL..

Same old, same old, season after season, no creative thinking, nothing to get excited about. It's not like they're working from a winning formula when it comes to sparking some interest is it?

Edit

And I've just seen on Twitter.. GTFC and Clee Town getting together to promote the pre-season friendly. Jesus Christ.. is that what we've become?!!! It's enough to make you want to pull your hair out..

Whilst it's not a particularly inspiring list, it's not as bad as you're making out. Doncaster and Peterborough are good games with a few easier games to get us up to full fitness. Peterborough might be something to do with the Dembele sale, maybe we keep all the gate receipts, and they're unquestionably better than us so it's a good work out.

We've played Sunderland, Derby, Sheff Utd, Doncaster, Barnsley and Hull in recent seasons. They're decent fixtures and good preparation in that all were at a higher level than us and are bigger clubs within reasonable travelling distance.

It's also got to be a large part to do with Jolley rather than anybody else. Last season we hardly played any friendlies because that's what he thought worked for Burnley. This season we have lots more. I'm sure Jolley gets a big say in who we play and from what level.

I don't think a tour is any more inspiring for the majority of supporters, although from a team bonding point of view it could be. Premier league and even championship teams play a much higher percentage of their games abroad now, because that does more for their bank balance than playing lower league football clubs. Even if we did play one, it would be mostly youngsters because they don't see us as a good enough standard to play the first team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 71
jimgtfc
May 28, 2019, 1:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,093
Gold Stars: 45
Ah good, something different for people to moan at 😒

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 71
Grantham_Mariner
May 28, 2019, 1:06pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,184
Gold Stars: 51
Looks like juniors for Lincs Cup game/s. (Gainsborough  at home!)

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 71
1mickylyons
May 28, 2019, 1:06pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56

I think thats what we have done, We have Forest and Stoke.

Well you`ll be doing it all wrong you lad`s down the 46
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 71
The Yard Dog
May 28, 2019, 1:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,500
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Times change Pete but I remember us playing Southampton in I think a testomonial game and they had several internationals coming to play. Nearly everyone from school went to that game and only a few of us were regular Town fans it creates a buzz.

Was it's Kev Moore testimonial?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 71
Malta_Mariner_90
May 28, 2019, 1:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796

I think thats what we have done, We have Forest and Stoke.

Are you marketing Stoke as "the now Oldest Football League Club in the world" now Notts C are gone?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 71
psgmariner
May 28, 2019, 1:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
While I for one am staggered that we didn’t get Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Man U or someone to come to our out of the way, end of the line town with recent episodes of pre season fan violence and one of the worst disciplinary records in the league....

Get real people. All lower league / non league teams want attractive pre season fixtures but think we are well down the list of teams the big boys want to play.

Private Message
Reply: 36 - 71
grimsby pete
May 28, 2019, 1:25pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from psgmariner
While I for one am staggered that we didn’t get Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Man U or someone to come to our out of the way, end of the line town with recent episodes of pre season fan violence and one of the worst disciplinary records in the league....

Get real people. All lower league / non league teams want attractive pre season fixtures but think we are well down the list of teams the big boys want to play.

I have to agree we have been non league for 6 years followed by struggling near the bottom of L2 for the last 2 years so we are not an attractive fixture for anybody,

If we have a real good season with maybe a promotion then expect more teams wanting a game next pre season.

Another season of struggle them expect the same old next year.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 71
1mickylyons
May 28, 2019, 1:25pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from psgmariner

Well that`s me told .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 71
1mickylyons
May 28, 2019, 1:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Was it's Kev Moore testimonial?

I believe so got really foggy and I think Peter Shilton was the main star possibly a very young and unknown Le Tissier and Wallace brothers?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pre Season Games

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.