This thread currently has 10,279 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
RoboCod
May 28, 2019, 12:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
The Aalst suggestion is good, tapping into any Scandinavian source is a great idea
Given our connections via Ring and Ohman and MJ's connections in general why not build some bridges with Sweden. Take a look at some of their home grown players into the bargain.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 71
1mickylyons
May 28, 2019, 12:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from LondonMariner43
The purpose of pre season friendlies is to prepare the players for the season, not to have glamour games.  If anything, playing a top side is not the right preparation as players may raise their game for an occasion.  We want players who give 100% against Scarborough and Donny.

Hmmmm well whatever we did last Pre Season saw us stuffed 1-4 at home to FGR so I hope were better prepared this time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 71
Malta_Mariner_90
May 28, 2019, 12:46pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Take your points and yes they are valid the whole point is to ready the team for the Season starting. However I stuck Forest up as an example they would bring 1500 fans and Donny,P`boro might but neither will attract extra home fans they don`t get people wanting to attend. I just think were being lazy as per usual sticking to our tried and tested format . On the hand maybe Town feel obliged to play Clee to give them a payday and in that case morally the Club have done a good deed but I am only interested in GTFC.

Cannot argue with that. But as many have mentioned on here lately the club has long adopted a laissez faire approach to its number 1 revenue stream.

As you indicate a couple of Saturday friendly's against some of the better supported Championship sides would bring in plenty of away fans. But perhaps it is also up to Jolley as well?

I am assuming here that the board do not dictate to him the list of friendly matches in a take it or leave it style. Maybe Jolley really wants a game against Peterborough. Probably better to play a decent L1 side in terms of preparing for the season than playing a Championship side who might beat us easily.

If that is the case probably limits the available sides who will bring a decent following.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 71
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 28, 2019, 12:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
No, it's not just about getting the team ready imho. It's an opportunity for the club to sell itself. It's for the fans to get excited about seeing something they may not see usually.  I remember 6000 being at bp to watch town v Liverpool reserves and at school 'everyone' was talking about it. It's about the marketing department getting their act together and getting a few extra £££ into the player budget.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 71
MuddyWaters
May 28, 2019, 12:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Posh Harry
Really not sure what people expect.

If we get a premiership team it’s only going to be their youth team, and if we get a championship team then it’s likely to be half youths with a few seniors.

We have got games against 2 sides in the league above to give us a proper workout as I assume (willing to be slapped down if this doesn’t happen) that being close to the season start they will bring pretty much their first team, and a few of the usual games to try and get fitness up to the level required and try different players and systems.

UTFM

Difference between what I hope for and what I expect.

I expect a dull, unimaginative football club and I hope for some progressive, forward-thinking and up-to-date marketing.

Needless to say I get what I expect and still hope for the best.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 71
1mickylyons
May 28, 2019, 12:52pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90

Cannot argue with that. But as many have mentioned on here lately the club has long adopted a laissez faire approach to its number 1 revenue stream.

As you indicate a couple of Saturday friendly's against some of the better supported Championship sides would bring in plenty of away fans. But perhaps it is also up to Jolley as well?

I am assuming here that the board do not dictate to him the list of friendly matches in a take it or leave it style. Maybe Jolley really wants a game against Peterborough. Probably better to play a decent L1 side in terms of preparing for the season than playing a Championship side who might beat us easily.

If that is the case probably limits the available sides who will bring a decent following.

Yes if soley down to the Manager and this is his chosen fixtures whilst I personally am underwhelmed I would support his logic if he is looking at results for a yardstick.From a GTFC point of view a high profile fixture would bring in extra home fans and boost revenue and create some interest .I don`t recall pre season games ever drawing in good numbers til possibly the last game before the Season starts I think we played Leeds one year and 5-6k attended I doubt more than 3k ever since and usually the games attract 12-1800.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 71
1mickylyons
May 28, 2019, 12:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
No, it's not just about getting the team ready imho. It's an opportunity for the club to sell itself. It's for the fans to get excited about seeing something they may not see usually.  I remember 6000 being at bp to watch town v Liverpool reserves and at school 'everyone' was talking about it. It's about the marketing department getting their act together and getting a few extra £££ into the player budget.

I thought it was 4k but yes it created a huge buzz at the time we then like now were languishing in Div 2 and it brought in a far higher attendence than the league games played around the same time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 71
grimsby pete
May 28, 2019, 12:55pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,793
Gold Stars: 222
I do not expect big prem teams to come and play us at home,

But

Hull would be a decent game and with the sale of our young striker Middleborough might have been asked to play us pre season,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 71
nealeardleyscrossing
May 28, 2019, 12:59pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -322
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from 1mickylyons

You could have got for example Notts Forest and marketed it 2 times former European Champions . Totally irrilevent today of course but it still sells Peterborough FFS

I think thats what we have done, We have Forest and Stoke.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 71
1mickylyons
May 28, 2019, 12:59pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
I do not expect big prem teams to come and play us at home,

But

Hull would be a decent game and with the sale of our young striker Middleborough might have been asked to play us pre season,

Times change Pete but I remember us playing Southampton in I think a testomonial game and they had several internationals coming to play. Nearly everyone from school went to that game and only a few of us were regular Town fans it creates a buzz.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pre Season Games

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.