May 28, 2019, 11:55am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Bigdog

Fair assessment Dazza.

Funny thing is I'll get hammered as being a doom monger but in reality it's the people propping up the poor status quo are the real negative individuals and do the future of the club a disservice. Always speak my mind positive or negative and always with the best interests of the club at heart and I've got a really bad feeling about this season and I'm never usually too far wrong. Plenty of indicators pointing to a struggle..

Just a bit of inventiveness in the pre-season schedule would have given me a bit of evidence of the senior operatives at GTFC trying to change, but it seems like they're always going to be set in their ways with everything and that can only point one way for the club..

Yes but far from being a doom monger you are saying exactly what others of us have said to people who it was felt where capable of influence and change . This set of fixtures plus numerous other things that have remained the same suggest any dialouge regarding change is a complete and utter waste of time .Nothing will change til either the board leave or they have a massive change of direction to the past 15-20 years and sadly neither look likely . A slow death in footballing terms awaits the ONLY thing they (the board) are holding out for is some footballing fortune ala Bogle x 10 or an even more unlikely cup run . High time they took hold of things they can control and improve on like the day to day running of the Club and the matchday experience but they wont because they dont have the desire or expertise.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 71
Posh Harry
May 28, 2019, 11:57am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,344
Gold Stars: 34
Really not sure what people expect.

If we get a premiership team it’s only going to be their youth team, and if we get a championship team then it’s likely to be half youths with a few seniors.

We have got games against 2 sides in the league above to give us a proper workout as I assume (willing to be slapped down if this doesn’t happen) that being close to the season start they will bring pretty much their first team, and a few of the usual games to try and get fitness up to the level required and try different players and systems.

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 71
1mickylyons
May 28, 2019, 12:04pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Posh Harry

If we get a premiership team it’s only going to be their youth team, and if we get a championship team then it’s likely to be half youths with a few seniors.

We have got games against 2 sides in the league above to give us a proper workout as I assume (willing to be slapped down if this doesn’t happen) that being close to the season start they will bring pretty much their first team, and a few of the usual games to try and get fitness up to the level required and try different players and systems.

UTFM

The Ibiza tournament,The Devon one etc something good that can bond the team and fans . A request went in to pursue a game vs FC Aalst over a year ago through the correct channels and whilst I fully accept it`s Jolleys call on how to prepare his team best that list reads to me like Town at there penny pinching best?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 71
1mickylyons
May 28, 2019, 12:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Posh Harry

UTFM

You could have got for example Notts Forest and marketed it 2 times former European Champions . Totally irrilevent today of course but it still sells Peterborough FFS
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 71
Hagrid
May 28, 2019, 12:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,389
Gold Stars: 529
Cant wait for them😳
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 71
Malta_Mariner_90
May 28, 2019, 12:17pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from 1mickylyons

The Ibiza tournament,The Devon one etc something good that can bond the team and fans . A request went in to pursue a game vs FC Aalst over a year ago through the correct channels and whilst I fully accept it`s Jolleys call on how to prepare his team best that list reads to me like Town at there penny pinching best?

Might help bonding the team and fans (not sure how many went to Devon?) but after Ibiza we were relegated in 2003-04 and Devon was organised by our Russ and we almost got relegated. All that matters is Jolley prepares the side properly for the coming season. Sure the last time we played Peterborough at home in a friendly we were promoted. It was just as unimaginative a fixture then but I am not sure many where saying at Wembley that day do you remember how dull our pre-season was this year?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 71
LH
May 28, 2019, 12:18pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,459
Gold Stars: 172
It’s not the fixtures themselves it’s more the predictability of them all. Various Lincolnshire clubs away. South Yorkshire club at home. Midlands club at home. Yes they’re predominantly for fitness but a tour or anything to break the monotony would be nice. I won’t be rushing back until the season starts properly - and that’s only if I buy a season ticket.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 71
1mickylyons
May 28, 2019, 12:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90

Might help bonding the team and fans (not sure how many went to Devon?) but after Ibiza we were relegated in 2003-04 and Devon was organised by our Russ and we almost got relegated. All that matters is Jolley prepares the side properly for the coming season. Sure the last time we played Peterborough at home in a friendly we were promoted. It was just as unimaginative a fixture then but I am not sure many where saying at Wembley that day do you remember how dull our pre-season was this year?

Take your points and yes they are valid the whole point is to ready the team for the Season starting. However I stuck Forest up as an example they would bring 1500 fans and Donny,P`boro might but neither will attract extra home fans they don`t get people wanting to attend. I just think were being lazy as per usual sticking to our tried and tested format . On the hand maybe Town feel obliged to play Clee to give them a payday and in that case morally the Club have done a good deed but I am only interested in GTFC.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 71
LondonMariner43
May 28, 2019, 12:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,935
Gold Stars: 64
The purpose of pre season friendlies is to prepare the players for the season, not to have glamour games.  If anything, playing a top side is not the right preparation as players may raise their game for an occasion.  We want players who give 100% against Scarborough and Donny.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 71
brigg_mariner
May 28, 2019, 12:43pm

UTM...!!!
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +116
Gold Stars: 5
Scunny have got Leicester and West Brom @ home and including a training camp at La Manga in Spain.

Oh how the other half live eh.

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2012 (Part 2)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pre Season Games

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.