brigg_mariner
May 28, 2019, 8:22am

UTM...!!!
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +116
Gold Stars: 5
Does anyone know the opposition and dates of any of our planned Pre Season games?

I haven't seen anything on the OS and im sure that they are announced by now.

*Awaits hilarious replies and numerous red x's  

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2012 (Part 2)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Son of Cod
May 28, 2019, 9:14am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Don't think they have been announced yet, but I could be wrong. Grantham's website has got us down as playing them away on July 9th. We've Trinity at home on 21st July in the Lincs Senior Cup. If we beat Trinity then we've got...Grantham at home in the semi on August 4th.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 71
Southwark Mariner
May 28, 2019, 10:07am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,545
Gold Stars: 82
https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2019/may/-201920-pre-season-fixtures-announced/

Cleethorpes Town (A) - Saturday 6th July - 3:00pm kick off

Grantham Town (A) - Tuesday 9th July - 7:30pm kick off

Boston United (A) - Thursday 11th July - 7:30pm kick off

Gainsborough Trinity (A) - Thursday 18th July - 7:30pm kick off

Doncaster Rovers (H) - Saturday 20th July - 12:00pm kick off

Scarborough Athletic (A) - Tuesday 23rd July - 7:30pm kick off

Peterborough United (H) - Saturday 27th July - 3:00pm kick off

Community Open Day - Sunday 28th July - 10:30am start
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 71
Bigdog
May 28, 2019, 10:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
By the looks of that list, whether it's season ticket sales, pre-season friendlies or whatever..

The club is just stuck in a perpetual, "same as we've always done" mode..

What a boring and repetitive list of fixtures. Nothing for fans to get excited about, no big name club, no pre season tour or "god help the logistics" .. something abroad..

We must be the most "old-school" boring football club in the whole EFL..

Same old, same old, season after season, no creative thinking, nothing to get excited about. It's not like they're working from a winning formula when it comes to sparking some interest is it?

Edit

And I've just seen on Twitter.. GTFC and Clee Town getting together to promote the pre-season friendly. Jesus Christ.. is that what we've become?!!! It's enough to make you want to pull your hair out..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 71
marinerdazza
May 28, 2019, 10:22am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,780
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from Bigdog
By the looks of that list, whether it's season ticket sales, pre-season friendlies or whatever..

What a boring and repetitive list of fixtures. Nothing for fans to get excited about, no big name club, no pre season tour or "god help the logistics" .. something abroad..

Same old, same old, season after season, no creative thinking, nothing to get excited about. It's not like they're working from a winning formula when it comes to sparking some interest is it?

We could always invite Sheff Utd over. What could go wrong?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 71
Mariner Timsky
May 28, 2019, 10:24am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Lets hope the signings match that exciting list!!  

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 71
Bigdog
May 28, 2019, 10:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

Really not just about the pre-season games though, just one of a massive list of unchanged club rituals. Just sat on their arrses doing the same thing time and time again. It's sleepwalking madness..

Can anyone tell me anything that the club is doing differently with anything since we last fell from grace? It's either complacency, laziness or just a lack of ability. I feel it in my bones that we're going to fall into the abyss again. I don't want to feel this way at all, but I'm worried, really worried..

We've failed for nearly twenty years and I can't see a smidgeon of change throughout all that time.. it's pretty disturbing to be honest.. It's like we're goading the Conference to come and take us for good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 71
marinerdazza
May 28, 2019, 10:55am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,780
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from Bigdog

Really not just about the pre-season games though, just one of a massive list of unchanged club rituals..

Can anyone tell me anything that the club is doing differently with anything since we last fell from grace? It's either complacency, laziness or just a lack of ability. I feel it in my bones that we're going to fall into the abyss again. I don't want to feel this way at all, but I'm worried, really worried..

We've failed for nearly twenty years and I can't see a smidgeon of change from back then.. it's pretty disturbing to be honest.. It's like we're goading the Conference to come and take us for good.

To be honest, I'm not that arsed about pre-season games. However, I do have concerns which I've aired. I think the transfer window will show us which way the wind is blowing. So, I'm going to reserve judgement until August. Rest assured I will not hold back then if my fears are realised. Put simply, we cannot face this season with the same outlook, a flimsy budget and a hope that there will be two teams worse than us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 71
Bigdog
May 28, 2019, 11:01am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from marinerdazza

To be honest, I'm not that arsed about pre-season games. However, I do have concerns which I've aired. I think the transfer window will show us which way the wind is blowing. So, I'm going to reserve judgement until August. Rest assured I will not hold back then if my fears are realised. Put simply, we cannot face this season with the same outlook, a flimsy budget and a hope that there will be two teams worse than us.

Fair assessment Dazza.

Funny thing is I'll get hammered as being a doom monger but in reality it's the people propping up the poor status quo are the real negative individuals and do the future of the club a disservice. Always speak my mind positive or negative and always with the best interests of the club at heart and I've got a really bad feeling about this season and I'm never usually too far wrong. Plenty of indicators pointing to a struggle..

Just a bit of inventiveness in the pre-season schedule would have given me a bit of evidence of the senior operatives at GTFC trying to change, but it seems like they're always going to be set in their ways with everything and that can only point one way for the club..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 71
denni266
May 28, 2019, 11:47am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +699
Gold Stars: 132
Exciting set of pre season games ..NOT
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 71
1mickylyons
May 28, 2019, 11:55am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Bigdog

Fair assessment Dazza.

Funny thing is I'll get hammered as being a doom monger but in reality it's the people propping up the poor status quo are the real negative individuals and do the future of the club a disservice. Always speak my mind positive or negative and always with the best interests of the club at heart and I've got a really bad feeling about this season and I'm never usually too far wrong. Plenty of indicators pointing to a struggle..

Just a bit of inventiveness in the pre-season schedule would have given me a bit of evidence of the senior operatives at GTFC trying to change, but it seems like they're always going to be set in their ways with everything and that can only point one way for the club..

Yes but far from being a doom monger you are saying exactly what others of us have said to people who it was felt where capable of influence and change . This set of fixtures plus numerous other things that have remained the same suggest any dialouge regarding change is a complete and utter waste of time .Nothing will change til either the board leave or they have a massive change of direction to the past 15-20 years and sadly neither look likely . A slow death in footballing terms awaits the ONLY thing they (the board) are holding out for is some footballing fortune ala Bogle x 10 or an even more unlikely cup run . High time they took hold of things they can control and improve on like the day to day running of the Club and the matchday experience but they wont because they dont have the desire or expertise.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 71
Posh Harry
May 28, 2019, 11:57am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,344
Gold Stars: 34
Really not sure what people expect.

If we get a premiership team it’s only going to be their youth team, and if we get a championship team then it’s likely to be half youths with a few seniors.

We have got games against 2 sides in the league above to give us a proper workout as I assume (willing to be slapped down if this doesn’t happen) that being close to the season start they will bring pretty much their first team, and a few of the usual games to try and get fitness up to the level required and try different players and systems.

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 71
1mickylyons
May 28, 2019, 12:04pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Posh Harry

If we get a premiership team it’s only going to be their youth team, and if we get a championship team then it’s likely to be half youths with a few seniors.

We have got games against 2 sides in the league above to give us a proper workout as I assume (willing to be slapped down if this doesn’t happen) that being close to the season start they will bring pretty much their first team, and a few of the usual games to try and get fitness up to the level required and try different players and systems.

UTFM

The Ibiza tournament,The Devon one etc something good that can bond the team and fans . A request went in to pursue a game vs FC Aalst over a year ago through the correct channels and whilst I fully accept it`s Jolleys call on how to prepare his team best that list reads to me like Town at there penny pinching best?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 71
1mickylyons
May 28, 2019, 12:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Posh Harry

UTFM

You could have got for example Notts Forest and marketed it 2 times former European Champions . Totally irrilevent today of course but it still sells Peterborough FFS
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 71
Hagrid
May 28, 2019, 12:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
Cant wait for them😳
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 71
Malta_Mariner_90
May 28, 2019, 12:17pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Approval: +796
Quoted from 1mickylyons

The Ibiza tournament,The Devon one etc something good that can bond the team and fans . A request went in to pursue a game vs FC Aalst over a year ago through the correct channels and whilst I fully accept it`s Jolleys call on how to prepare his team best that list reads to me like Town at there penny pinching best?

Might help bonding the team and fans (not sure how many went to Devon?) but after Ibiza we were relegated in 2003-04 and Devon was organised by our Russ and we almost got relegated. All that matters is Jolley prepares the side properly for the coming season. Sure the last time we played Peterborough at home in a friendly we were promoted. It was just as unimaginative a fixture then but I am not sure many where saying at Wembley that day do you remember how dull our pre-season was this year?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 71
LH
May 28, 2019, 12:18pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,457
Gold Stars: 172
It’s not the fixtures themselves it’s more the predictability of them all. Various Lincolnshire clubs away. South Yorkshire club at home. Midlands club at home. Yes they’re predominantly for fitness but a tour or anything to break the monotony would be nice. I won’t be rushing back until the season starts properly - and that’s only if I buy a season ticket.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 71
1mickylyons
May 28, 2019, 12:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90

Might help bonding the team and fans (not sure how many went to Devon?) but after Ibiza we were relegated in 2003-04 and Devon was organised by our Russ and we almost got relegated. All that matters is Jolley prepares the side properly for the coming season. Sure the last time we played Peterborough at home in a friendly we were promoted. It was just as unimaginative a fixture then but I am not sure many where saying at Wembley that day do you remember how dull our pre-season was this year?

Take your points and yes they are valid the whole point is to ready the team for the Season starting. However I stuck Forest up as an example they would bring 1500 fans and Donny,P`boro might but neither will attract extra home fans they don`t get people wanting to attend. I just think were being lazy as per usual sticking to our tried and tested format . On the hand maybe Town feel obliged to play Clee to give them a payday and in that case morally the Club have done a good deed but I am only interested in GTFC.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 71
LondonMariner43
May 28, 2019, 12:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,935
Gold Stars: 64
The purpose of pre season friendlies is to prepare the players for the season, not to have glamour games.  If anything, playing a top side is not the right preparation as players may raise their game for an occasion.  We want players who give 100% against Scarborough and Donny.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 71
brigg_mariner
May 28, 2019, 12:43pm

UTM...!!!
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +116
Gold Stars: 5
Scunny have got Leicester and West Brom @ home and including a training camp at La Manga in Spain.

Oh how the other half live eh.

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2012 (Part 2)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 71
RoboCod
May 28, 2019, 12:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
The Aalst suggestion is good, tapping into any Scandinavian source is a great idea
Given our connections via Ring and Ohman and MJ's connections in general why not build some bridges with Sweden. Take a look at some of their home grown players into the bargain.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 71
1mickylyons
May 28, 2019, 12:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from LondonMariner43
The purpose of pre season friendlies is to prepare the players for the season, not to have glamour games.  If anything, playing a top side is not the right preparation as players may raise their game for an occasion.  We want players who give 100% against Scarborough and Donny.

Hmmmm well whatever we did last Pre Season saw us stuffed 1-4 at home to FGR so I hope were better prepared this time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 71
Malta_Mariner_90
May 28, 2019, 12:46pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Take your points and yes they are valid the whole point is to ready the team for the Season starting. However I stuck Forest up as an example they would bring 1500 fans and Donny,P`boro might but neither will attract extra home fans they don`t get people wanting to attend. I just think were being lazy as per usual sticking to our tried and tested format . On the hand maybe Town feel obliged to play Clee to give them a payday and in that case morally the Club have done a good deed but I am only interested in GTFC.

Cannot argue with that. But as many have mentioned on here lately the club has long adopted a laissez faire approach to its number 1 revenue stream.

As you indicate a couple of Saturday friendly's against some of the better supported Championship sides would bring in plenty of away fans. But perhaps it is also up to Jolley as well?

I am assuming here that the board do not dictate to him the list of friendly matches in a take it or leave it style. Maybe Jolley really wants a game against Peterborough. Probably better to play a decent L1 side in terms of preparing for the season than playing a Championship side who might beat us easily.

If that is the case probably limits the available sides who will bring a decent following.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 71
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 28, 2019, 12:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
No, it's not just about getting the team ready imho. It's an opportunity for the club to sell itself. It's for the fans to get excited about seeing something they may not see usually.  I remember 6000 being at bp to watch town v Liverpool reserves and at school 'everyone' was talking about it. It's about the marketing department getting their act together and getting a few extra £££ into the player budget.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 71
MuddyWaters
May 28, 2019, 12:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Posh Harry

UTFM

Difference between what I hope for and what I expect.

I expect a dull, unimaginative football club and I hope for some progressive, forward-thinking and up-to-date marketing.

Needless to say I get what I expect and still hope for the best.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 71
1mickylyons
May 28, 2019, 12:52pm
Special Brew Drinker

Cannot argue with that. But as many have mentioned on here lately the club has long adopted a laissez faire approach to its number 1 revenue stream.

As you indicate a couple of Saturday friendly's against some of the better supported Championship sides would bring in plenty of away fans. But perhaps it is also up to Jolley as well?

I am assuming here that the board do not dictate to him the list of friendly matches in a take it or leave it style. Maybe Jolley really wants a game against Peterborough. Probably better to play a decent L1 side in terms of preparing for the season than playing a Championship side who might beat us easily.

If that is the case probably limits the available sides who will bring a decent following.

Yes if soley down to the Manager and this is his chosen fixtures whilst I personally am underwhelmed I would support his logic if he is looking at results for a yardstick.From a GTFC point of view a high profile fixture would bring in extra home fans and boost revenue and create some interest .I don`t recall pre season games ever drawing in good numbers til possibly the last game before the Season starts I think we played Leeds one year and 5-6k attended I doubt more than 3k ever since and usually the games attract 12-1800.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 71
1mickylyons
May 28, 2019, 12:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
No, it's not just about getting the team ready imho. It's an opportunity for the club to sell itself. It's for the fans to get excited about seeing something they may not see usually.  I remember 6000 being at bp to watch town v Liverpool reserves and at school 'everyone' was talking about it. It's about the marketing department getting their act together and getting a few extra £££ into the player budget.

I thought it was 4k but yes it created a huge buzz at the time we then like now were languishing in Div 2 and it brought in a far higher attendence than the league games played around the same time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 71
grimsby pete
May 28, 2019, 12:55pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,780
Gold Stars: 222
I do not expect big prem teams to come and play us at home,

But

Hull would be a decent game and with the sale of our young striker Middleborough might have been asked to play us pre season,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 71
nealeardleyscrossing
May 28, 2019, 12:59pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -323
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from 1mickylyons

You could have got for example Notts Forest and marketed it 2 times former European Champions . Totally irrilevent today of course but it still sells Peterborough FFS

I think thats what we have done, We have Forest and Stoke.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 71
1mickylyons
May 28, 2019, 12:59pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
I do not expect big prem teams to come and play us at home,

But

Hull would be a decent game and with the sale of our young striker Middleborough might have been asked to play us pre season,

Times change Pete but I remember us playing Southampton in I think a testomonial game and they had several internationals coming to play. Nearly everyone from school went to that game and only a few of us were regular Town fans it creates a buzz.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 71
pen penfras
May 28, 2019, 1:02pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Bigdog

Edit

And I've just seen on Twitter.. GTFC and Clee Town getting together to promote the pre-season friendly. Jesus Christ.. is that what we've become?!!! It's enough to make you want to pull your hair out..

Whilst it's not a particularly inspiring list, it's not as bad as you're making out. Doncaster and Peterborough are good games with a few easier games to get us up to full fitness. Peterborough might be something to do with the Dembele sale, maybe we keep all the gate receipts, and they're unquestionably better than us so it's a good work out.

We've played Sunderland, Derby, Sheff Utd, Doncaster, Barnsley and Hull in recent seasons. They're decent fixtures and good preparation in that all were at a higher level than us and are bigger clubs within reasonable travelling distance.

It's also got to be a large part to do with Jolley rather than anybody else. Last season we hardly played any friendlies because that's what he thought worked for Burnley. This season we have lots more. I'm sure Jolley gets a big say in who we play and from what level.

I don't think a tour is any more inspiring for the majority of supporters, although from a team bonding point of view it could be. Premier league and even championship teams play a much higher percentage of their games abroad now, because that does more for their bank balance than playing lower league football clubs. Even if we did play one, it would be mostly youngsters because they don't see us as a good enough standard to play the first team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 71
jimgtfc
May 28, 2019, 1:02pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,066
Gold Stars: 44
Ah good, something different for people to moan at 😒

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 71
Grantham_Mariner
May 28, 2019, 1:06pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,178
Gold Stars: 50
Looks like juniors for Lincs Cup game/s. (Gainsborough  at home!)

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 71
1mickylyons
May 28, 2019, 1:06pm
Special Brew Drinker

Well you`ll be doing it all wrong you lad`s down the 46
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 71
The Yard Dog
May 28, 2019, 1:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Times change Pete but I remember us playing Southampton in I think a testomonial game and they had several internationals coming to play. Nearly everyone from school went to that game and only a few of us were regular Town fans it creates a buzz.

Was it's Kev Moore testimonial?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 71
Malta_Mariner_90
May 28, 2019, 1:12pm
Snakebite drinker

Are you marketing Stoke as "the now Oldest Football League Club in the world" now Notts C are gone?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 71
psgmariner
May 28, 2019, 1:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
While I for one am staggered that we didn’t get Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Man U or someone to come to our out of the way, end of the line town with recent episodes of pre season fan violence and one of the worst disciplinary records in the league....

Get real people. All lower league / non league teams want attractive pre season fixtures but think we are well down the list of teams the big boys want to play.

Private Message
Reply: 36 - 71
grimsby pete
May 28, 2019, 1:25pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,780
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from psgmariner
While I for one am staggered that we didn’t get Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Man U or someone to come to our out of the way, end of the line town with recent episodes of pre season fan violence and one of the worst disciplinary records in the league....

Get real people. All lower league / non league teams want attractive pre season fixtures but think we are well down the list of teams the big boys want to play.

I have to agree we have been non league for 6 years followed by struggling near the bottom of L2 for the last 2 years so we are not an attractive fixture for anybody,

If we have a real good season with maybe a promotion then expect more teams wanting a game next pre season.

Another season of struggle them expect the same old next year.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 71
1mickylyons
May 28, 2019, 1:25pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from psgmariner

Well that`s me told .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 71
1mickylyons
May 28, 2019, 1:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Was it's Kev Moore testimonial?

I believe so got really foggy and I think Peter Shilton was the main star possibly a very young and unknown Le Tissier and Wallace brothers?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 71
1mickylyons
May 28, 2019, 1:29pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from psgmariner

THAT Sheff Utd game I can`t disagree with it was nailed on for serious trouble and hopefully lesson learned.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 71
Malta_Mariner_90
May 28, 2019, 1:29pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Well that`s me told .

How dare you expect us to play someone as massive as Barnsley or Forest at home in a pre season friendly. Don't you realise how tiny a club we now are?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 71
1mickylyons
May 28, 2019, 1:34pm
Special Brew Drinker

How dare you expect us to play someone as massive as Barnsley or Forest at home in a pre season friendly. Don't you realise how tiny a club we now are?  

This is true still at the rate were shrinking I will be intercourse off grateful for these games in 10 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 71
louth_in_the_south
May 28, 2019, 1:41pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,656
Gold Stars: 94
Until we see what sort of budget jolley looks to be getting its probably a bit early to be doom mongering but entirely understandable

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 71
Civvy at last
May 28, 2019, 1:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,204
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from 1mickylyons

This is true still at the rate were shrinking I will be intercourse off grateful for these games in 10 years.

The way we’re going mate, in 10 years time Cleethorpes and Gainsborough fans will be moaning about playing us  

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 71
Croxton
May 28, 2019, 1:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 33
No real complaints from me. Seems to be a theme of building relationships with accessible clubs in terms of future loans for younger squad members.
Macho boot camps in the heat are not good practice. Playing on Cleethorpes dusty pitch last  year was an endurance test that Welsh and Fox failed miserably. It was clear that Koki, Collins and a few others had not let their levels collapse over May and June.
Also, please spare us endless videos of sweaty training sessions.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 71
Jarmo.Is.God
May 28, 2019, 2:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from brigg_mariner
Scunny have got Leicester and West Brom @ home and including a training camp at La Manga in Spain.

Oh how the other half live eh.

Bet they haven't got a new portakabin though...

In all seriousness, pre-season is more about fitness, game time etc, not playing a good team and getting hammered 4-0.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 71
Teestogreen
May 28, 2019, 4:23pm

Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 22
Pre-season games should be kept to a minimum imo.

Injuries usually wipe out a few of the players to be able to contribute to the opening games of the seasons and, therefore, counter productive to a good start.

Plus, too many games means that players have run out of steam by the time the season starts.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 71
SteffiMariner
May 28, 2019, 4:37pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I seriously doubt they would even bring half that number, we are a bottom half of League Two team. We didn't get much more than 1,500 when we played them in the Cham,pionshiop (yes I know the away end was full).
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 71
Abdul19
May 28, 2019, 4:56pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
Is this the first time we've played Scarborough since the debut of Abdul?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 71
arryarryarry
May 28, 2019, 6:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Teestogreen

Injuries usually wipe out a few of the players to be able to contribute to the opening games of the seasons and, therefore, counter productive to a good start.

Plus, too many games means that players have run out of steam by the time the season starts.

Isn't that what we did last season?

Worked against FGR😞
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 71
moosey_club
May 28, 2019, 7:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,213
Gold Stars: 226

Are you marketing Stoke as "the now Oldest Football League Club in the world" now Notts C are gone?  

Lincoln Vs Stoke ;  

The Neck Ache Derby

The Corner Routine Derby

The Who's got the most effective long throw in derby

not one for the purists !!

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 71
KingstonMariner
May 28, 2019, 8:31pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from moosey_club

Lincoln Vs Stoke ;  

The Neck Ache Derby

The Corner Routine Derby

The Who's got the most effective long throw in derby

not one for the purists !!

The Gamesmanship Derby?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 71
HertsGTFC
May 28, 2019, 8:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,883
Gold Stars: 227
Other than getting a bit of fitness most pre season games are pointless anyway.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 71
1mickylyons
May 29, 2019, 9:12am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from SteffiMariner

I seriously doubt they would even bring half that number, we are a bottom half of League Two team. We didn't get much more than 1,500 when we played them in the Cham,pionshiop (yes I know the away end was full).

Sheff U brought over 2k so why wouldnt Forest?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 71
rancido
May 29, 2019, 2:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,534
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from LondonMariner43

How very dare you have such a sensible approach to what are basically training and fitness exercises.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 71
Maringer
May 29, 2019, 3:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,410
Gold Stars: 184
Bearing in mind all the problems with t'Blades game, I wonder if we are deliberately avoiding friendlies where we would no doubt need to pay towards a hefty police presence?

Low key games against higher division opposition might be best for the players, if not for the fans. I've seen us get comprehensively outplayed by higher division clubs in friendlies a little too often in recent seasons to be too bothered one way or another.

Chances are we would only play the reserves/yoof of a larger Championship/smaller Prem club in any case.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 71
TwoLeftFeet
May 29, 2019, 3:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,069
Gold Stars: 18
As long as the team is fit and ready to go 1st game of the season surely that's all that matters..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 71
KingstonMariner
May 29, 2019, 5:37pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
As long as the team is fit and ready to go 1st game of the season surely that's all that matters..

As long as the team is fit and understands its roles and is the best prepared it can be, you mean 😊

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 71
arryarryarry
May 29, 2019, 6:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

How very dare you have such a sensible approach to what are basically training and fitness exercises.

Pretty expensive training and fitness exercises.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 71
headingly_mariner
May 29, 2019, 6:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
At least we have got some games this year. Last year was a total shambles. We were completely unprepared for the season because we’d had about 4 games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 71
Meza
May 29, 2019, 6:30pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from headingly_mariner
At least we have got some games this year. Last year was a total shambles. We were completely unprepared for the season because we’d had about 4 games.

Agreed mate, everyone saw it vs FGR, we were so off the pace, so many incidents due to lack of match practice.  Then when the forth went in, i don't think I've ever seen so many people get up and leave.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 71
Teestogreen
May 29, 2019, 7:31pm

Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Teestogreen

6 negatives is ok. Last season my one and only pre-season post earned 26 negatives - at the suggeston we should sign Tranmere strikers Andy Cook and James Norwood (not sure how many goals they ended upscoring for others).

UTM - blinkers on again

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 71
Abdul19
May 29, 2019, 7:49pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
Looking forward to this year's tips. Mo Salah could be worth a punt.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 71
rancido
May 29, 2019, 8:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,534
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from arryarryarry

Pretty expensive training and fitness exercises.

Well how would you describe a pre-season friendly game?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 71
GYinScuntland
May 29, 2019, 8:16pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
In days of yore a couple of tasty pre season games used to whet the appetite, I'm sure they still would.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 71
MuddyWaters
May 29, 2019, 8:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from GYinScuntland
In days of yore a couple of tasty pre season games used to whet the appetite, I'm sure they still would.

A tasty pre season game? You can’t get a tasty burger at BP now.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 71
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 29, 2019, 8:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Meza

Agreed mate, everyone saw it vs FGR, we were so off the pace, so many incidents due to lack of match practice.  Then when the forth went in, i don't think I've ever seen so many people get up and leave.

First time I've EVER left a game early. Not something I'm proud of, but it was shocking

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 71
arryarryarry
May 29, 2019, 8:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Well how would you describe a pre-season friendly game?

Hopefully some sort of entertaining match showing the fans the players and system that MJ is going to go forward with plus some goals rather than something they can do down at the training ground otherwise we may as well not bother with any games and just go down to Waltham and watch them run around for a while.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 71
GYinScuntland
May 29, 2019, 10:52pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
To be fair I'm seeing cracking urine ups in Boston / Gainsborough /Scarborough. 🍺
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 71
Shipwrecked In Gainsborough
May 29, 2019, 11:15pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +248
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from GYinScuntland
To be fair I'm seeing cracking urine ups in Boston / Gainsborough /Scarborough. 🍺

Well the middle one at Trinity is pretty handy for me !, might have a beer or two before the walk home !.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 71
Madeleymariner
June 2, 2019, 9:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,049
Gold Stars: 49
Port Fale have lined up Burnley, surely if we could have got any top flight club we could've got them  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 71
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pre Season Games

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.