Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Possible £100k bid received for Rumarn Burrell
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 212 Guests

Possible £100k bid received for Rumarn Burrell

This thread currently has 14,564 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
May 25, 2019, 11:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,201
Gold Stars: 224
dont know much about his background really, ie how long have we had him in our system....i think we pick up players from other areas who maybe havnt quite impressed enough at their local clubs and give them a chance....if we have only had him in the building for a couple of years then its not really suprising he has no real loyalty to us and is happy to take an offer elswhere up the pyramid....
the local players like Clifton have the affinity to the club and all they have wanted is to play to GTFC so we are more likely to keep them and turn them into pro's for ourselves.

Just shows the importance of keeping hold of the local kids when first scouting and not allowing them to be picked off before we have brought them into the academy.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 79
rancido
May 25, 2019, 12:16pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,528
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Codswede
I'd let him go and wish him well on his way. Likely to have better chances to develop away from here and may well come back one day a much better player. Also raises the prestige level and visibility of GTFC academy amongst the league's bigger clubs so may open the doors to future business. A shame it's this way but I think our academy is best served generating saleable assets, not necessarily GTFC first team prospects.

This was a policy used by Dario Grady at Crewe many years ago. Produce good prospects and sell on to keep the club financially viable. I remember reading an article about him in one of the national newspapers at the time. He said that if he could produce one decent prospect a year to sell on then that would help to secure the clubs financial future. If he managed to produce two then he could retain one for his first time , which would be a bonus. Finding young talent , developing it and then selling on is just as important an income stream as ticket sales, merchandising etc.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 79
MarinerMart
May 25, 2019, 12:51pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +209
Quoted from rancido

[/b]

This was a policy used by Dario Grady at Crewe many years ago. Produce good prospects and sell on to keep the club financially viable. I remember reading an article about him in one of the national newspapers at the time. He said that if he could produce one decent prospect a year to sell on then that would help to secure the clubs financial future. If he managed to produce two then he could retain one for his first time , which would be a bonus. Finding young talent , developing it and then selling on is just as important an income stream as ticket sales, merchandising etc.

Totally agree 100% but he's gone for peanuts and i doubt its for 100,000
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 79
Swansea_Mariner
May 25, 2019, 1:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,430
Gold Stars: 63
To be fair Jolley has been pretty proactive locking up our young assets, Clifton 3 years, Wright and Rose 2 years, and Battersby and Pollock signed while they were still YTs. Logically that suggests that the latter two were the pick of the recent crop to get signed so early on.

There's only so much room on the roster for young pros and inevitably the odd gem might slip through if we are producing so many. In reality this is a good problem to have as since Buckley III we've only had one or two young lads make sporadic appreances during the last decade.

Still it's a massive pat on the back for the lad and the academy, and I guess only time will tell if we've missed out or not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 79
Kris2
May 25, 2019, 1:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Madeleymariner
I suppose the point about age is we are no longer starting 16-18 yr olds they are nearly all 20 or above before they get anywhere near a regular start so if that good a prospect they will get picked off before we get any real game time from them. Fordy, Drinks, Moores etc were 17/18 yr olds when they played a fair amount. I think Fordy was still 16 on his debut.

Yes well time moves on. The game is far more competitive these days and it takes a whole lot more at that age to get in the team. GTFC was always a little club punching above it's weight too so had to make use of the squad we had full of local lads. As much as you have starry eyes from the old days when the team was full of local kids and you want that now it's just not how it works.
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 79
Kris2
May 25, 2019, 1:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Still it's a massive pat on the back for the lad and the academy, and I guess only time will tell if we've missed out or not.

Who knows, bigger clubs have the finances to take a risk on potential. What they paid is a drop in the bucket up front and over time they could pay more if he works out and if he doesn't they lose nothing more.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 79
KingstonMariner
May 25, 2019, 3:37pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
I don’t understand the negativity aimed at the club. We identified a young lad with talent, took him on and developed him to the point that a big championship club have taken a chance on him . Chances are he would’ve earned his chance in the 1st team this season regardless of what certain posters think .
The fact that he hasn’t signed a new contract means the decision has been taken out of GTFCs hands so to get a decent offer is a no brainer. Hopefully this may mean a loan signing or 2 like Embleton may be on the cards .

I don't think it's negativity aimed at the club. The club did what it could do to retain him. It's disappointment about the general situation in football.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 79
diehardmariner
May 25, 2019, 7:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,412
Gold Stars: 532
'Boro site says he signed professional terms in April this year with us.

Does that mean that we'll end up getting more for the lad than if he just left our youth set-up and we got the breadcrumb that's fed down?

If so, fair play to the lad for signing the deal when he probably knew he would be leaving anyway.  Similar to when Ryan Bennett signed a new deal, knowing full well it would mean we benefited from a bigger transfer fee.
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 79
KingstonMariner
May 25, 2019, 8:33pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from diehardmariner
'Boro site says he signed professional terms in April this year with us.

Does that mean that we'll end up getting more for the lad than if he just left our youth set-up and we got the breadcrumb that's fed down?

If so, fair play to the lad for signing the deal when he probably knew he would be leaving anyway.  Similar to when Ryan Bennett signed a new deal, knowing full well it would mean we benefited from a bigger transfer fee.

If that’s the case then the club have done a decent bit of business

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 79
toontown
May 25, 2019, 11:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
We wont have got anywhere near 100k for him, that was the figure with add ons. The wiki link near the top of this thread shows a fee of around 25k if we have had him 2 years and we are in the lowest grade of academy (am assuming leage 2 is lowest grade). If we have negotiated add ons it is likely this will mean the initial figure is even lower, so probs more like 15 or 20k
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Possible £100k bid received for Rumarn Burrell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.