Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Possible £100k bid received for Rumarn Burrell
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 272 Guests

Possible £100k bid received for Rumarn Burrell

This thread currently has 14,566 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
psgmariner
May 24, 2019, 8:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Can’t see any losers in this.

100k to Boro is peanuts so they can take a punt on a kid like this.

100k to us is serious money and we have sold an unproven out of contract player who was not expected to be a starter next season. I really hope this doesn’t happen but he could be the next Jack Barlow.

Fantastic move for the player as well. He’s jumped up a few leagues to one of the biggest teams outside the prem with an amazing reputation for developing and playing youth. Good luck to him. Hope he rips it up for them.

Private Message
Reply: 40 - 79
Nelly GTFC
May 24, 2019, 8:23pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,724
Gold Stars: 31
If Rumarn Burrell was that good of a prospect why have Grimsby left it this late to try and give him a pro contract?

Good luck to him, I'm sure he will be earning more money developing in Boros academy than on the fringes of first team football here at Grimsby.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 79
Maringer
May 24, 2019, 8:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,411
Gold Stars: 184
We won't have got anywhere near 100k for the lad. Check out the EPPP regulations:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_Player_Performance_Plan

Middlesbrough have a class 1 academy so will have picked him up for a song (relatively). They are probably paying him several times the amount that we can so no blame on him for looking after himself. It's a short career, after all.

Will he get a game? Who knows? He'll certainly play a lot less competitive football than he would have done here but he'll be up against several other players around his age, not to mention the first-teamers they have signed for millions. Good luck to him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 79
Bigdog
May 24, 2019, 9:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
If anyone thinks that Middlesbrough taking one of our brightest prospects off us for an upfront payment of less than 0.5% of our annual turnover is great for GTFC, they need their head examining. It's fantasy to think we'll get anywhere near the 100k even if he makes it. The rules of compensation are stacked against us. And it's a bigger fantasy that it will release enough funds for us to get a decent striker in with it. Woodsy may be personally proud tonight that his work with a player has been recognised by a Championship club but professionally he must be tearing his hair out that the club he works for has benefitted practically nothing in the grander scheme of things for the amount of time and money invested in the lad..

It's time to face facts and not get all excited about a headline figure of up to 100k, Burrell going to Boro was good for the player, a low risk investment for a Championship club and nothing much gained at all for GTFC. Sorry to pop balloons and all that, but let's deal with reality rather than fantasy..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 79
KingstonMariner
May 24, 2019, 9:53pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Good business by the club.

100k for the club, and local lad has more of a chance to become a full time pro.

If it doesn't work, like that lad that went to Hull that time, then we delighted with the money.
If it goes well, and he sells for more money in the future, then we get more money for the add-ons.

Face it, he wasn't going to get much game time here, so more youth training at Middlesbrough will do him well

He’ll have less chance to become a full time pro at Boro. He’s got more chance of getting in the Town team.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 79
psgmariner
May 24, 2019, 10:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Bigdog - what do you think the lad is worth right now?

Private Message
Reply: 45 - 79
Bigdog
May 24, 2019, 10:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from psgmariner
Bigdog - what do you think the lad is worth right now?

I wouldn't know because I've seen less than half an hour of the lad and it's fairly immaterial at this point in time. But 20k or so right now is pretty meaningless, as will the paltry add ons which will never get close to six figures. The question should be.. what could he be worth after 50 league games and scoring one in two games? That figure would be much more meaningful to the club. He may not be the one, and it might be one in ten or twenty that become a seven figure player while others fall by the wayside. What we can't do is keep letting our best young pros go for peanuts because we'll never be able to blood them in the first team to find out if they could make us half a mill or a mill. Doesn't make economic sense, so I just don't understand all this self congratulatory stuff I'm seeing as if something good or fruitful for our club happened today. My heart instinctively sank when I heard the news..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 79
LH
May 24, 2019, 10:22pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,456
Gold Stars: 172
A lot of ifs about this though isn’t there? It’s more likely that he won’t make the grade so it’s a safer option to take the £20k or whatever it is now and put that back into the youth team to find another two players (lol joke - bonnet needs a respray remember!) to get some more cash. This is how we need to make cash to survive in the absence of an oligarch or significant cup run.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 79
promotion plaice
May 24, 2019, 10:33pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

It's annoying when we put so much time and money into the academy and then other clubs come along and cherry pick the better players for little profit for Town.

At least we got Clifton out of it and Wright looks a good prospect I suppose.  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 79
MuddyWaters
May 24, 2019, 10:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Would be good to know if Buckley and Curran have signed.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Possible £100k bid received for Rumarn Burrell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.