Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Possible £100k bid received for Rumarn Burrell
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 173 Guests

Possible £100k bid received for Rumarn Burrell

This thread currently has 14,560 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Posh Harry
May 26, 2019, 8:43am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,344
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from rancido

[/b]

This was a policy used by Dario Grady at Crewe many years ago. Produce good prospects and sell on to keep the club financially viable. I remember reading an article about him in one of the national newspapers at the time. He said that if he could produce one decent prospect a year to sell on then that would help to secure the clubs financial future. If he managed to produce two then he could retain one for his first time , which would be a bonus. Finding young talent , developing it and then selling on is just as important an income stream as ticket sales, merchandising etc.

I’m not sure we should use Crewe as a blueprint when it comes to the youth team 😳
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 79
rancido
May 26, 2019, 9:52am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,526
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Posh Harry

I’m not sure we should use Crewe as a blueprint when it comes to the youth team 😳

I was using Dario Grady's approach to player development for the benefit of the club.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 79
AdamHaddock
May 26, 2019, 10:30am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,802
Gold Stars: 25
Big opportunity for him. Can we not loan him straight back?

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 79
scrumble
May 26, 2019, 11:22am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +983
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Posh Harry

Dario Grady's Crewe where a perfect example of how a good youth setup can sustain a club

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 79
dapperz fun pub
May 26, 2019, 11:49am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,880
Gold Stars: 82
No brainier for the club and for the lad really, we get a few bob for boro investing in potential cos that’s all it is at this moment in time and the lad jumps up the pyramid.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 79
KingstonMariner
May 26, 2019, 12:46pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from scrumble

Dario Grady's Crewe where a perfect example of how a good youth setup can sustain a club

I think he was referring to less acceptable parts of the coaching

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 79
headingly_mariner
May 26, 2019, 1:10pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,314
Gold Stars: 113
it’s not going to be anywhere near the 100k stated because he didn’t sign his contract that was offered.
We will get very little for him and only time will tell whether Boro have got a steal.
I certainly don’t see how this is a deal that can be celebrated. You want to keep your best prospects and see them play, if that doesn’t happen you want it to be because you’ve got really good money for them. Neither has happened here.

Not the club’s fault, offered terms and the boy has had his head turned. The system means we’ll be screwed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 79
arryarryarry
May 26, 2019, 1:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from headingly_mariner
it’s not going to be anywhere near the 100k stated because he didn’t sign his contract that was offered.
We will get very little for him and only time will tell whether Boro have got a steal.
I certainly don’t see how this is a deal that can be celebrated. You want to keep your best prospects and see them play, if that doesn’t happen you want it to be because you’ve got really good money for them. Neither has happened here.

Not the club’s fault, offered terms and the boy has had his head turned. The system means we’ll be screwed.

I don't understand the bit about his head being turned.

We are a club at the moment going nowhere. There is nothing to suggest that we are going to progress either on the field or off it and he has the opportunity to go to a Championship club that wasn't too far away from the Premiership.

He would be barmy to turn it down.
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 79
LondonMariner43
May 26, 2019, 1:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,935
Gold Stars: 64
Most of the lads coming up through the youth team are local and / or they have some family connection to the club so they will jump at the offer of a pro contract with the club.  If they turn out to be brilliant and go elsewhere after a season or two we are all happy.

So far as I know, Burrell didn’t have any big connection with the club so if a bigger club comes calling with a wage we can’t match, he is bound to go.  He might make it, but if not, then he’s earned a good wage for a few years.

It’s a bit catch 22 for the club.  If the youth set up develops a good reputation then clubs will come looking for signings.  I’m tempted to say that if Woods and Jolley thought he was the next Kevin Drinkell, they’d have offered him a bigger contract and brought him thru into the squad sooner.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 79
lew chaterleys lover
May 26, 2019, 1:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,645
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Most of the lads coming up through the youth team are local and / or they have some family connection to the club so they will jump at the offer of a pro contract with the club.  If they turn out to be brilliant and go elsewhere after a season or two we are all happy.

So far as I know, Burrell didn’t have any big connection with the club so if a bigger club comes calling with a wage we can’t match, he is bound to go.  He might make it, but if not, then he’s earned a good wage for a few years.

It’s a bit catch 22 for the club.  If the youth set up develops a good reputation then clubs will come looking for signings.  I’m tempted to say that if Woods and Jolley thought he was the next Kevin Drinkell, they’d have offered him a bigger contract and brought him thru into the squad sooner.

Your last sentence mirrors what I said earlier in this thread - why on earth didn't he start some games when we had been safe for several weeks and could not hit a barn door with hardly any goals being scored?

Had he started and enjoyed it he may have signed a contract. As it is we have let him go for basically nowt having spent time and effort on him.
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Possible £100k bid received for Rumarn Burrell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.