Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Possible £100k bid received for Rumarn Burrell
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 183 Guests

Possible £100k bid received for Rumarn Burrell

This thread currently has 14,581 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
bobbyturtle
May 25, 2019, 12:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18
I was looking forward to see him play next season....hope he has made the right choice and goes onto great things.

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 79
ginnywings
May 25, 2019, 2:09am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Doesn't really matter whether we think it was a good deal or a bad deal. We offered him a pro contract, he declined, and decided to sign for someone else in a higher division. Not sure what else we could have done. At least we are producing young players capable of winning their division and attracting interest from higher up the food chain. Surely that is a good thing, and a sign of progression, even if we haven't got the clout to hang onto those young players. It's a whole new world now from when we were producing the likes of Ford, Drinkell and the Moore's. The disparity in finances between the divisions is huge compared to the 80's and we can't fend off the likes of Boro, never mind Prem teams who have billions to spend, while teams at our level have sodomist all. 100k is a significant amount for us. It's a weeks wages to a Prem fringe player. That's the way of it now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 79
lukeo
May 25, 2019, 6:25am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
What will be will be... Just hope what we have initially received is atleast half of the 100k
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 79
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 25, 2019, 9:31am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ginnywings
Doesn't really matter whether we think it was a good deal or a bad deal. We offered him a pro contract, he declined, and decided to sign for someone else in a higher division. Not sure what else we could have done. At least we are producing young players capable of winning their division and attracting interest from higher up the food chain. Surely that is a good thing, and a sign of progression, even if we haven't got the clout to hang onto those young players. It's a whole new world now from when we were producing the likes of Ford, Drinkell and the Moore's. The disparity in finances between the divisions is huge compared to the 80's and we can't fend off the likes of Boro, never mind Prem teams who have billions to spend, while teams at our level have sodomist all. 100k is a significant amount for us. It's a weeks wages to a Prem fringe player. That's the way of it now.

That's the sad part of it. I agree with selling him because we have to maximise our assets and there is no way the lad is going to bring any more money if we kept him for 2-3 years and only gave him  the usual amount of first team time that we seem to give anyone under 25 these days.

But what this does show is that the days of nurturing kids through the academy and into the first team to build up a side of lads who have grown up together, those days are gone. The job of Neil Woods and co. is to produce players for the first team at other clubs, not ours, just to keep GTFC's head above water. Our team may have some younger players but they will be the likes of the Burrells who fail to make it at the big club, players like Vernam for instance, or the ones not quite good enough to attract those bigger clubs. I would fully expect Buckley and Curran to go if they show real signs of progress this year.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 79
Roast Em Bobby
May 25, 2019, 9:39am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44

That's the sad part of it. I agree with selling him because we have to maximise our assets and there is no way the lad is going to bring any more money if we kept him for 2-3 years and only gave him  the usual amount of first team time that we seem to give anyone under 25 these days.

Jeez you really are negative. What about Harry Clifton? He's had plenty of game time and I would put money on us selling him for a decent sum at some point in the future if he continues to develop at the same rate.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 79
fleabag1970
May 25, 2019, 9:59am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
I have heard a prem club are tracking max Wright ......... coys

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 79
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 25, 2019, 10:11am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

Jeez you really are negative. What about Harry Clifton? He's had plenty of game time and I would put money on us selling him for a decent sum at some point in the future if he continues to develop at the same rate.

It was a joke -   see?  

The point still stands - Burrell would need to spend at least another 2 years here before he might be considered a first teamer. Would we get more for him then? I doubt it. Clifton is different, for one thing he is not a striker and pacy forwards are the players in demand.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 79
forza ivano
May 25, 2019, 10:46am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,159
Gold Stars: 265

But what this does show is that the days of nurturing kids through the academy and into the first team to build up a side of lads who have grown up together, those days are gone. The job of Neil Woods and co. is to produce players for the first team at other clubs, not ours, just to keep GTFC's head above water. Our team may have some younger players but they will be the likes of the Burrells who fail to make it at the big club, players like Vernam for instance, or the ones not quite good enough to attract those bigger clubs. I would fully expect Buckley and Curran to go if they show real signs of progress this year.

That will be the gtfc who ended the season with 6-7 of the team being 23 or under??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 79
Madeleymariner
May 25, 2019, 11:16am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
I suppose the point about age is we are no longer starting 16-18 yr olds they are nearly all 20 or above before they get anywhere near a regular start so if that good a prospect they will get picked off before we get any real game time from them. Fordy, Drinks, Moores etc were 17/18 yr olds when they played a fair amount. I think Fordy was still 16 on his debut.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 79
louth_in_the_south
May 25, 2019, 11:27am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,672
Gold Stars: 94
I don’t understand the negativity aimed at the club. We identified a young lad with talent, took him on and developed him to the point that a big championship club have taken a chance on him . Chances are he would’ve earned his chance in the 1st team this season regardless of what certain posters think .
The fact that he hasn’t signed a new contract means the decision has been taken out of GTFCs hands so to get a decent offer is a no brainer. Hopefully this may mean a loan signing or 2 like Embleton may be on the cards .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Possible £100k bid received for Rumarn Burrell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.