Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can Jolley organise and motivate a team.?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 286 Guests

Can Jolley organise and motivate a team.?

This thread currently has 7,506 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Gaffer58
April 20, 2019, 7:57am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Ashby Mariner, I think our league problems stem from Hurst dismantling the conference squad, winning or losing games is infectious, currently I would assume the players are thinking if we go a goal down then that's it, we'll lose, whereas the conference team were confident of getting a result. look at the teams that have come up from the conference in the last 3 years, the majority are in league 1 or pushing foe promotion from league 2, apart from Barnet, and I would hazard a guess that initially if not currently they still have the majority of their conference squads.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 47
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 20, 2019, 9:29am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from golfer
To be honest I enjoyed it better and we normally went home a bit happier. The shite we played against then was no shitier than the shite we play against now that we still can't beat. 3 shite managers since Hurst

Time gives us rose tinted specs. How many times was the Saturday night talk on the Fishy about how we had struggled against/failed to beat some wretched pub league outfit that parked the bus at BP? We had the same old budget talk and chuntering  about how well PH was doing and how he only needed another six years ......

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 47
Abdul19
April 20, 2019, 9:32am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,560
Gold Stars: 216

Quoted from Gaffer58
Ashby Mariner, I think our league problems stem from Hurst dismantling the conference squad, winning or losing games is infectious, currently I would assume the players are thinking if we go a goal down then that's it, we'll lose, whereas the conference team were confident of getting a result. look at the teams that have come up from the conference in the last 3 years, the majority are in league 1 or pushing foe promotion from league 2, apart from Barnet, and I would hazard a guess that initially if not currently they still have the majority of their conference squads.

And Cheltenham and Macclesfield who might go straight back down. And winning wasn't that infectious, we only won 4 of our last 12 games in it (granted, that's a superb run compared to now)!

When Bogle was banging in League 2 goals for fun, I can't remember a single person complaining about Danny East being let go!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 47
Swansea_Mariner
April 20, 2019, 10:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
We were in the conference for six season and 100+ players probably went through the doors. Only a handful of those conference players have proved league standard the rest looked better because they were playing against worse players.

I'd hazard a guess at something like 15% of those players have had extended runs in the league since playing for us in the conference.  

As for manager I think we've tried every route apart from the foreign route, player managers - Groves, promoting from within - Woods, Roger, experienced - AB, Slade, big name  former players - Newell, Highly qualified coach - MJ. NOTHING WORKS, we do not appear to be able to compete at this level under this board.

Changing MJ would I predict with a high degree of certainty result in a bottom half finish, but to be fair keeping him probably has the same result. I would still rather give him time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 47
jamesgtfc
April 20, 2019, 10:05am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Ashby mariner
What I don't understand is why in our conference days did we have I'm my opinion better players than we have now.? The budget is better now than it was then. Look at the likes of Magnay, Pearson, Miller, Nolan, Tait, Connel ect. If the budget is better now how come we got these players to play against the likes Welling, Tamworth ect and now we can't seem to attract better players now we are a league club. It saddens me when I think of the team that got promoted and how quickly they all went there separate ways. Utm

Connell used us to reignite his career and get back in the league and that gamble paid off for him. Nolan was a Lincoln reject and on the scrapheap when he signed for us. There was an interview a few weeks ago stating how the penny dropped when he came here. Tait is in the SPL but Craig Clay went to the SPL and went straight back to the Conference. I think Pearson would be great alongside Öhman but he's in the Conference. Ian Miller disappeared off the radar and Magnay got relegated with Hartlepool. Connell, Amond, Nolan and Bogle aside, I don't recall any others going on to better things.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 47
Abdul19
April 20, 2019, 11:04am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,560
Gold Stars: 216
I think Miller copulated his knee in the Conference playoff final and never recovered.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 47
AndyDarloFC
April 20, 2019, 11:26am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Abdul19
I think Miller copulated his knee in the Conference playoff final and never recovered.

He’s been fairly regular at Darlo games this season as his wife’s from up this way.

Sure he plays part time for some team near Cambridge.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 36 - 47
Welwynmariner
April 20, 2019, 11:52am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Connell used us to reignite his career and get back in the league and that gamble paid off for him. Nolan was a Lincoln reject and on the scrapheap when he signed for us. There was an interview a few weeks ago stating how the penny dropped when he came here. Tait is in the SPL but Craig Clay went to the SPL and went straight back to the Conference. I think Pearson would be great alongside Öhman but he's in the Conference. Ian Miller disappeared off the radar and Magnay got relegated with Hartlepool. Connell, Amond, Nolan and Bogle aside, I don't recall any others going on to better things.

Lenny J-L is at Shrewsbury, Alex Rodman is with Bristol Rovers, Toto and Kayden Jackson are both at Ipswich. Isn't Connor Jennings at Tranmere Rovers still?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 47
hampshiremariner
April 20, 2019, 11:53am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,056
Gold Stars: 35
Is this current squad better or worse than the one that got relegated into the Conference.? I regard that 4-0 defeat away at Burton as one of the worst days in the club’s history. The idiots who caused mayhem after that game brought shame on the club. Surely, we must now be in a bit better shape than back then?
I have supported this club for 62 years and yearn for better times. The genuine fans of which there are many deserve better.  A successful football team would give the area a huge boost but currently we a left tearing our hair out week after week. I thought we had turned the corner when we had the run that took us into the 40 plus points zone but then it went pear shaped again. You
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 47
Bigdog
April 20, 2019, 12:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Can Jolley organise and motivate a team?

At the moment the answer has to be no. Whether he just hasn’t got it in his locker or he’s still in a learning curve it’s anyone’s guess and will become apparent by October. My current feeling is that football management may be just a bit beyond him. Some say he’s a good coach. Well I haven’t seen any evidence of good coaching this season at all. All I’ve seen is a team that’s played fluently in four games and the rest of the time ground out results in games when we were second best.

There was no method to his recruitmment in the summer signing past it players for a high tempo game and yet again we were left with gaps in the squad to play certain formations.

With senior players leaving under a cloud questions have to be asked if he has the attributes to manage a squad. I hated the decision to have a group of four seniors as a conduit to management especially when three of them have been our worst performers. Creates unnecessary levels between the players and could have caused resentment from younger players that were playing better and getting overlooked.

His team selections have baffled me all season and formations too. Collins played instead of Whitmore and RHJ is stubborn insanity. It’s put us on the back foot all season and isolated our strikers. I’m going to say it now.. Danny Collins has been shite overall for two seasons with the odd good game and wouldn’t get in any League Two side and not many in the Conference yet MJ says he’s a very important player for us. If he is MJ, I have serious questions about your judgement. Cardwell contract extension? Seriously?!! Woolford in a central midfield two? Woolford in central midfield? Woolford in the team? Seriously?! Yet these three players have played in front of Clifton, Rose, Vernam, RHJ and Whitmore regularly and Ring has been brought in as a wing back when he’s barely faster than Collins!!!

This isn’t purely about budget, it’s about management and MJ has got a lot to prove in my eyes in the transfer window and first couple of months into the next season. I hope he’s learnt from his mistakes and proves me wrong as I’m really not sure about him at all. And stop with the interview technique of textbook avoidance in answering the questions. Fans deserve direct answers and you’re starting to sound really boring and childish as the weeks and months go on..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can Jolley organise and motivate a team.?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.