Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can Jolley organise and motivate a team.?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 247 Guests

Can Jolley organise and motivate a team.?

This thread currently has 7,498 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
April 19, 2019, 6:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from OllieGTFC
You all moaned about Paul hurst, now it’s michael Jolley no happiest in any appointment we make even if we appointed Alex ferguson none of you would be happy, have you ever thought it’s the board not giving the manager money to do his stuff ? We are getting left behind fairly quickly on and off the pitch Lincoln and Mansfield are the explain of that

There’s several threads where several of us have said all of that. The problem is the board and its’ 1980s (at best) culture. I fear we’ll never know how good or bad Jolley could be if he’s not given the budget to improve us.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 47
OllieGTFC
April 19, 2019, 6:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
Quoted from MuddyWaters

There’s several threads where several of us have said all of that. The problem is the board and its’ 1980s (at best) culture. I fear we’ll never know how good or bad Jolley could be if he’s not given the budget to improve us.

Since have been watching town have seen us slip from the championship to non league, it can’t just be the managers we appoint, seriously if we are not careful I can see us going out of business all together

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 47
lew chaterleys lover
April 19, 2019, 6:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,658
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from crusty ole pie

Russel Slade ?

Or any number of managers that are looking for work but who will be expected to produce a team that can compete in league 2, regardless of the budget, or lack of budget.

It is not the manager I am having a go at - it is the complete lack of strategy from the board. Yes by all means try a Michael Jolley type, in the full knowledge you will have to spend a lot of time and energy and money in helping him, and to give him the tools needed, both in the backgound staff and better players.

Not our lot - they just hope a rookie manager can pull off a miracle, when it would be hard enough for an experienced manager who is struggling with a non competitive budget.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 47
Ipswin
April 19, 2019, 6:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from OllieGTFC
You all moaned about Paul hurst, now it’s michael Jolley no happiest in any appointment we make even if we appointed Alex ferguson none of you would be happy, have you ever thought it’s the board not giving the manager money to do his stuff ? We are getting left behind fairly quickly on and off the pitch Lincoln and Mansfield are the explain of that

No one in his right mind is going to give a totally inexperienced and on the face of it clueless manager a pot of money. I doubt he could get a game out of Messi, Ronaldo, Salah et al

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 47
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 19, 2019, 6:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from monkeyboy
Its not the manager, its the budget. we all know where the budget comes from.

On paper Jolley made a good couple of signings in Whitehouse and Welsh, one injured and the other just injured a crim or just past it.
3 new mids and a reasonable replacement for Collins will see a huge improvement.

No good getting rid of Jolley, i do believe he is building something and will take time. pay peanuts and it will take a while to build any quality!

Chicken and egg. Where does the buck stop at a football club?

Very rarely does a chairman or owner fall on their sword or chequebook. Normally it is the manager who carries the can.

Jolley knew all about the budget before he came. He knew all about the board and the owner. If he didn't he was a fool and I don't think anyone could accuse him of that. He thought he could make silk purses in 3 transfer windows (he said). He has had two and we do not look any further forward. But for some outstanding goalkeeping even his much praised defensive improvements would be shown as sham.

Yes he has been a bit unlucky but only a bit. He signed Welsh and then played a system that Welsh could not possibly fit. Maybe the injury to Whitehouse was important but would the Brothers Grimm have let go a really good player? As a manager you have to get results with what you have available. The problem for both Slade and Jolley is lack of goals. For Jolley the extra problem is that he has a proven goalscorer on loan here but his tactics and selections are simply not creating the chances for Dennis to finish.

To be honest I don't think he knows what to do next and the end of the season can't come quick enough for him. He may survive but if he shows the same inability in organising a side in August as he has shown since Christmas he won't last much longer. And, to be honest again, I don't think it would matter how many backroom staff Fenty let him have or even if his transfer budget was doubled, he would still struggle as a manager of a league team. I sincerely wish he would prove me wrong but I suspect he is one of those people who just cannot do it.

Inexperienced and learning the ropes is one thing, inexperienced, inept and learning the ropes is quite another.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 47
Gaffer58
April 19, 2019, 6:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
"In Jolley we trust" how many times did we read that over the last year. Well it appears Fenty doesn't enough to give him too much dough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 47
golfer
April 19, 2019, 6:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
What good signings has Jolly made--what shite players that were already here has he given contracts to. What has Jolly done better than Slade who was absolutely shite
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 47
RonMariner
April 19, 2019, 7:02pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,542
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from golfer
What good signings has Jolly made--what shite players that were already here has he given contracts to. What has Jolly done better than Slade who was absolutely shite

He kept us up last year. I have no doubt that we would have been relegated under Slade.

But sadly we have not seen much improvement this season. Our current form is as bad as in the latter days of Slade. 4 goals in our last 10 games is totally dreadful.  We pick up the odd point here and there and hardly ever score. We are routinely at the foot of the form table. So we appear to be back at square one.

Could it be that the upsurge in form for the last five games of last season was a flash in the pan?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 47
bawarmy
April 19, 2019, 7:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,962
Motivation is the key word in this post. You can be tactically naive but as long as you can motivate a team you have a chance. The fact is the current players, as we’ve said before are already on the beach. It’s not good enough while they are picking up a wage and this is what MJ should be sorting out. If he can’t motivate them then something is wrong.  Is it beyond him? Is he too nice?

Talking of beaches, Buckley would have had them on the beach by now as punishment for such half hearted performances. A proper manager who wasn’t there to make friends.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 47
Gaffer58
April 19, 2019, 7:21pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Completely agree about motivation, the players are all professional so in theory they can pass and control a ball but can they be arsed about going for the 50 50 ball. Just listen to Atkins over at 'ull, in all his interviews he comes across with enthusiasm, it's all about having the players in the right frame of mind at 5 minutes to kick off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can Jolley organise and motivate a team.?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.