Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can Jolley organise and motivate a team.?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 214 Guests

Can Jolley organise and motivate a team.?

This thread currently has 7,496 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Maringer
April 20, 2019, 12:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
As the saying goes, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Problem is, I feel that Jolley is trying to do so.

He probably needs to try and make a functional sow's ear purse from what he can get and to do this we need to be able to compete physically, which is not something we've managed too often this season.

There aren't too many players who have guaranteed themselves a place in the team for next season so hopefully we can sign some playersx this summer who can run a bit harder and play a bit harder.

Releasing Collins and Woolford will probably help us get a few yards further up the field from the off so I hope we can replace them with more physical and mobile players.

It wouldn't surprise me to see both Davis and Whitmore retained, in which case we won't need anyone to replace Collins (Ohman, Whitmore, Davis, RHJ, Pollock and Hendrie at a push can all play in a back three). I fear that Ring is going to be too slow and lightweight so hopefully we'll sign other options in the wing-back roles and Wright will probably get a chance there as well. It's midfield attacking and up front where the real changes need to be made. I dare say that if Whitehouse gets fit, he could play as the more advanced midfielder alongside Hessenthaler and Clifton. But I wouldn't be upset to see a real workhorse signed to sit in midfield.

Ultimately, I don't mind if we play to defend and then break as many entertaining and good teams have done the same. We just need to make sure that we have a defence strong enough to hold out and the ability to cause problems on the break.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 47
lew chaterleys lover
April 20, 2019, 2:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,652
Gold Stars: 234
I have just watched the "highlights" on You Tube.

It never showed us once in the opposition half. We looked absolutely pathetic - panic stricken every time we touched the ball.

This against a team who themselves have been on a poor run of form, and have hardly set the division alight.

I understand the players were given some verbals after the game from some fans, and I would have joined them if those highlights are anything to go by.

10 games without a win and playing like that most managers would be goners.

I think everyone at GTFC, especially in the boardroom will have to decide what they actually want to achieve, if anything, and work it out accordingly.

If the "plan" is to continue with a poor playing budget, then it might be better to have a more experienced manager to at least get more out of the players we have contracted, and be able to bring players in who at least would make a game of it for next season.

It is no good the board keep pretending we "might be challengers" each season, when it is obvious the only game in town is survival.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 47
Swansea_Mariner
April 20, 2019, 3:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,430
Gold Stars: 63
Slade and AB were both very experienced same results unfortunately.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 47
golfer
April 20, 2019, 3:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
If it's not the boards fault,if it's not the managers fault,if it's not the players fault then it must be our fault-so to help them I will not be attending any games in July.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 47
promotion plaice
April 20, 2019, 3:31pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from golfer
If it's not the boards fault,if it's not the managers fault,if it's not the players fault then it must be our fault-so to help them I will not be attending any games in July.

I'll help them as well.....I won't be renewing my season ticket next season, I'll just cherry pick my games.....that's dedication  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 47
golfer
April 20, 2019, 3:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from promotion plaice

I'll help them as well.....I won't be renewing my season ticket next season, I'll just cherry pick my games.....that's dedication  

You and I ought to be voted fans of the year,we might even be mentioned in dispatches as the fans who saved G.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 47
Welwynmariner
April 20, 2019, 6:07pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 1
I have just watched the "highlights" on You Tube.

It never showed us once in the opposition half. We looked absolutely pathetic - panic stricken every time we touched the ball.

This against a team who themselves have been on a poor run of form, and have hardly set the division alight.

I understand the players were given some verbals after the game from some fans, and I would have joined them if those highlights are anything to go by.

10 games without a win and playing like that most managers would be goners.

I think everyone at GTFC, especially in the boardroom will have to decide what they actually want to achieve, if anything, and work it out accordingly.

If the "plan" is to continue with a poor playing budget, then it might be better to have a more experienced manager to at least get more out of the players we have contracted, and be able to bring players in who at least would make a game of it for next season.

It is no good the board keep pretending we "might be challengers" each season, when it is obvious the only game in town is survival.

Having been there I can tell you that the Sky highlights are pretty representative of what happened on the pitch.

Woolford had been passing the ball to their players throughout the game but even I couldn't believe what he did to give away the goal.

Cardwell is no form of centre-forward. he simply couldn't receive a clearance or win a header. He was out-timed, out-positioned and out-jumped throughout the 90 minutes. Someone should remind him of the people who have played in that position over the years starting with Ron Rafferty and help him work out what he has to live up to.

Nobody on the pitch on Saturday can carry the ball out of defence in the way that John McDermott or Peter Handyside could and so they just hack the ball out to the opposition who, simply control and pass the ball around them.

There is no way that team will be anything more than mid-table strugglers in League 2 at best.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
lew chaterleys lover
April 20, 2019, 6:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,652
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Welwynmariner

Having been there I can tell you that the Sky highlights are pretty representative of what happened on the pitch.

Woolford had been passing the ball to their players throughout the game but even I couldn't believe what he did to give away the goal.

Cardwell is no form of centre-forward. he simply couldn't receive a clearance or win a header. He was out-timed, out-positioned and out-jumped throughout the 90 minutes. Someone should remind him of the people who have played in that position over the years starting with Ron Rafferty and help him work out what he has to live up to.

Nobody on the pitch on Saturday can carry the ball out of defence in the way that John McDermott or Peter Handyside could and so they just hack the ball out to the opposition who, simply control and pass the ball around them.

There is no way that team will be anything more than mid-table strugglers in League 2 at best.

I thought the highlights were a decent guide after listening to the radio commentary.

It is pitiful that we have a set up that doesn't seem to include attacking the opposition goal. I really don't know what has got into the team / management that for months now they want to pass it sideways a few times, then back then sideways again only to be robbed or give the ball away - there doesn't seem to any attacking intent at all. Call me basic, but I thought the idea of football was to score a goal or two.

I love possession football, but it has to be with a purpose. If Jolley is staying then he will have to have a re-think surely?

Post of the week by the way in getting Ron Rafferty and Cardwell in the same sentence!
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can Jolley organise and motivate a team.?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.