6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
marinerdazza
April 1, 2019, 1:53pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,848
Gold Stars: 82
We've had some rotten luck this year, starting with Whitehouse. I also don't think it should be underestimated what a mess we were in 15 months ago.

I expected a lot more from Welsh, who I am guessing was expensive. Mistakes have been made (WTF was the Pringle thing all about?), but nothing that can't be fixed.

I think Jolley will have a much better idea generally this close season and I expect better signings.

Ditch 3-5-2 though. 4-3-3 seemed to suit us.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 57
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 1, 2019, 3:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from KingstonMariner

They get bigger crowds, plus when they were in non-League they had bigger parachute payments which helped them bounce back quicker. Plus when they got back up they managed to retain their top striker.

I accept some of that though the bigger attendances are boosted by being surrounded but other L2 clubs in the NW. Their squad does not look really better on paper than ours other than that striker. They were well off the playoffs in January, they lost 3 on the bounce and also got whopped 7-0 by Spurs, no disgrace there though. We were about level with them at that stage and now look at the difference. I cannot see this being all down to money and attendances.

According to Gregor they achieved it by signing 6 in January, not superstars just to fit what they needed, and worked like mad on the training ground with extra sessions.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 57
Garth
April 1, 2019, 3:46pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
MJ and company have done ok this season, but thats it ok,  if you want to compare then compare with the brothers at Lincoln who made a decent start and never looked back, Regarding Whitehouse dont bank on him back from a bad injury to work wonders, after all he has been rejected as not good enough by the Imps
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 57
Swansea_Mariner
April 1, 2019, 10:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
I think, given our budget, that we have to accept incremental improvements rather than some form of step change.

Personally I'd give him 5 seasons to get us to league one, same as Hurst. During those 5 seasons I'd expect to see some year on year improvement.

Obviously I want better I think we've massively undrachieved for far too long but hey-ho we are where we are and new ownership doesn't seem any nearer than it did five years ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 57
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 1, 2019, 10:26pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
I think, given our budget, that we have to accept incremental improvements rather than some form of step change.

Personally I'd give him 5 seasons to get us to league one, same as Hurst. During those 5 seasons I'd expect to see some year on year improvement.

Obviously I want better I think we've massively undrachieved for far too long but hey-ho we are where we are and new ownership doesn't seem any nearer than it did five years ago.

Did we get incremental improvements under Hurst? It didn’t seem like that. I understand the thinking but bit by bit improvement just doesn’t work. It never has and never will. In 5 years there is more chance of being back in non-league than L1.

I would point at Lincoln and Tranmere for example. I would point at Buckley Mk1 &2 and Newman/Kerr/Booth. The common link is rapid progress despite  a limited budget. The key is momentum and keeping it going. The only sympathy I have for Hurst is that he did not get the backing to do this though personally I doubt if he could have done anything like the Cowleys or Buckley anyway.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 57
KingstonMariner
April 1, 2019, 10:45pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

I accept some of that though the bigger attendances are boosted by being surrounded but other L2 clubs in the NW. Their squad does not look really better on paper than ours other than that striker. They were well off the playoffs in January, they lost 3 on the bounce and also got whopped 7-0 by Spurs, no disgrace there though. We were about level with them at that stage and now look at the difference. I cannot see this being all down to money and attendances.

According to Gregor they achieved it by signing 6 in January, not superstars just to fit what they needed, and worked like mad on the training ground with extra sessions.

But prior to that they were doing better than we were but fell slightly whilst we had a purple patch. Their bigger crowds enabled them to spend a bit more than us. You say their quality isn't better than ours on paper other than the striker, well one, there's the old cliche about being better on the pitch, and two, a good striker makes all the difference. Minor improvements in other positions around the pitch would mean the striker has more service.

But the basic point is bigger budget means a better squad, unless the management are crap.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 57
Bigdog
April 1, 2019, 10:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162

And wave goodbye to twenty different clubs who get promoted in the meantime? Bury, MK Dons, Colchester, Tranmere, Carlisle weren't that good this season and we had two close games with the champions elect Lincoln while FGR and Mansfield are the only teams that have really impressed me and seemed a cut above. F me, we're becoming so self-doubting over the years and over egging how difficult it is to get out of this division. We're barely scraping 3.5k fans at home, how many do you think would be patient enough to see those five years out? And if they don't, the jobs going to be so much harder to make those incremental steps you're talking about. Eight seasons to get out of League Two is ok.. many of the remaining diehards may not have the patience..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 57
moosey_club
April 1, 2019, 11:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from KingstonMariner

They get bigger crowds, plus when they were in non-League they had bigger parachute payments which helped them bounce back quicker. Plus when they got back up they managed to retain their top striker.

having a goal scorer obviously helps...from alot of the goals i have seen Norwood score he needs the service as plenty of them seem to be attacking crosses 7-10 yds out....i honestly think Dennis is capable of similar but as we know, we just dont give any of the front line decent service.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 57
Abdul19
April 1, 2019, 11:38pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from Garth
MJ and company have done ok this season, but thats it ok,  if you want to compare then compare with the brothers at Lincoln who made a decent start and never looked back, Regarding Whitehouse dont bank on him back from a bad injury to work wonders, after all he has been rejected as not good enough by the Imps

They did offer him a contract though, didn't they?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 57
arryarryarry
April 2, 2019, 5:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116

In terms of finishing league position, weren't we going backwards with Hurst?
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A constructive flaw in our gaffer

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.