TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 2, 2019, 5:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ska face
Funny how the people complaining loudest at 3-5-2 are the ones who spent years screaming at Hurst to “change it”.

Hurst played 4-4-1-1 more than anything. Think back to the times the Fishy was full of complaints about Town  having a lone striker miles apart from everyone else. Even when we had Podge and Bogle he seemed to prefer to play a loanee instead.

What Bignot was trying to play is anyone’s guess.

Personally I like 4-3-3 because it gives options that lead to more of a passing game and still lets you have attacking full backs. But 4-4-2 is the easiest to play and get results with at our level and that is what matters most.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 57
MuddyWaters
April 2, 2019, 5:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from ska face
Funny how the people complaining loudest at 3-5-2 are the ones who spent years screaming at Hurst to “change it”.

I don't think it's the system that's the problem, it's having the players to fit in it!
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 57
Ipswin
April 2, 2019, 6:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I don't think it's the system that's the problem, it's having the players to fit in it!

Jolley shouldn't be trying to play it then until he has

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 57
jamesgtfc
April 2, 2019, 6:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,940
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Agree with that. Based on what we currently have I think we are suited to 4-3-3 given that the only winger on the books plays for Boston.

McKeown
Hendrie Davis Öhman Ring
Clifton Hess Embleton
Vernam Dennis Thomas

Rome wasn't built in a day and one more win would ensure we have made marginal progress from a points perspective.  By the time next season starts, MJ will have been manager for 17 months and 56 League 2 games so he should have a much better understanding of what is required to progress this team. If we start next season similar to how we started this season, he will be lucky to see 10 games.

It appears that his comment on Saturday about needing to be ruthless was about Thomas (and maybe others but I wasn't there).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 57
MuddyWaters
April 2, 2019, 6:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Agree with that. Based on what we currently have I think we are suited to 4-3-3 given that the only winger on the books plays for Boston.

McKeown
Hendrie Davis Öhman Ring
Clifton Hess Embleton
Vernam Dennis Thomas

Rome wasn't built in a day and one more win would ensure we have made marginal progress from a points perspective.  By the time next season starts, MJ will have been manager for 17 months and 56 League 2 games so he should have a much better understanding of what is required to progress this team. If we start next season similar to how we started this season, he will be lucky to see 10 games.

It appears that his comment on Saturday about needing to be ruthless was about Thomas (and maybe others but I wasn't there).

I'd consider taking Thomas out of your team if I were you!
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 57
Abdul19
April 2, 2019, 7:24pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,510
Gold Stars: 215

Even when we had Podge and Bogle he seemed to prefer to play a loanee instead.

NL starts by a loanee striker: 16
NL starts by Bogle and Amond: 72

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 57
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 2, 2019, 8:03pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Abdul19

NL starts by a loanee striker: 16
NL starts by Bogle and Amond: 72

The question is - why did he play any? Cow’s posterior and banjo spring to mind.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 57
Abdul19
April 2, 2019, 9:33pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,510
Gold Stars: 215
Well that's a different matter and one I have no idea of - those 16 starts yielded 0 goals

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A constructive flaw in our gaffer

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.