KingstonMariner
March 31, 2019, 4:26pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Abdul19

Yeah but all attempted transfers appear on twitter these days, innit.

I dunno.  Is that what folk do these days?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 57
scrumble
March 31, 2019, 5:34pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 10
I think every manager over the last twenty years, bar Sir Buckley, have tried 352 and it never works. With the right players it's very effective, but at our level and with our budget getting the players that can make it work is nigh on impossible. Every manager that we've seen try it always ends up going to back to 442

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 57
Abdul19
March 31, 2019, 5:44pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
AB played 3 at the back for a big chunk of 07/08 (I think Jamie Clarke played at right wing back at wembley!)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 57
March 31, 2019, 5:49pm
Guest User
Armchair manager
Reply: 23 - 57
Jarmo.Is.God
April 1, 2019, 8:28am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
You're not going to turn the clubs worst squad for many, many years, into a promotion chasing team in 2 transfer windows....

In fact, we was discussing this 6 weeks ago, which was very optimistic rather than a possibility.

It took Hurst 5/6 seasons? to get us promoted from a division when we usually had one of the biggest budget. We stuck with him, and got it in the end.

This squad has improved massively in a year, and will get better this time next year, but still, IMO, would be a big ask to be challenging for the play-offs.

30th March, 2018 starting 11:
Macca, Fox, Collins, Clarke, Mills, Summerfield, Rose, McSheffrey, Dembele, Wilks, Hooper

Fox, Dembele, and Wilks... the only players on there that would get in this starting 11 IMO

Ohman > Clarke
Hendrie > Mills (I was a fan of Mills, but Hendrie is a better option)
Hess > Rose
Clifton > Summerfield
Thomas > Hooper

Improvements have been made, and still need making.

We still have squad players who are not any better, than being in a bottom half team

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 57
Croxton
April 1, 2019, 9:43am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
We should continue the theme of 'better players' in the summer, regardless of the system. Quality and flexibility rather than a rigid approach will make us harder to beat.
Signing unfit, game starved 'names' ahead of up and coming regular performers hindered our start last term. Flogging players in pre season boot camps in a heatwave should also be reviewed.
Spend most on a goalscorer and pacey winger.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 57
arryarryarry
April 1, 2019, 9:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
You're not going to turn the clubs worst squad for many, many years, into a promotion chasing team in 2 transfer windows....

In fact, we was discussing this 6 weeks ago, which was very optimistic rather than a possibility.

It took Hurst 5/6 seasons? to get us promoted from a division when we usually had one of the biggest budget. We stuck with him, and got it in the end.

This squad has improved massively in a year, and will get better this time next year, but still, IMO, would be a big ask to be challenging for the play-offs.

30th March, 2018 starting 11:
Macca, Fox, Collins, Clarke, Mills, Summerfield, Rose, McSheffrey, Dembele, Wilks, Hooper

Fox, Dembele, and Wilks... the only players on there that would get in this starting 11 IMO

Ohman > Clarke
Hendrie > Mills (I was a fan of Mills, but Hendrie is a better option)
Hess > Rose
Clifton > Summerfield
Thomas > Hooper

Improvements have been made, and still need making.

We still have squad players who are not any better, than being in a bottom half team

Not sure you can say that, being beaten by some of the poorer teams in this league and we still haven't reached last seasons points total yet.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 57
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 1, 2019, 12:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Gregor Robertson’s piece in the Times this week is about Tranmere. I don’t know what their budget is but they signed on 6 in January and currently have won 7 on the bounce. They have a proven striker they signed in non-league in Norwood but otherwise their squad looks no better than ours really except they play with two wingers. Almost certain of a play off place and could even be top 3 if they keep going.

Why them and not us?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 57
Ipswin
April 1, 2019, 12:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89

Why them and not us?

The manager maybe?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 57
KingstonMariner
April 1, 2019, 1:09pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Gregor Robertson’s piece in the Times this week is about Tranmere. I don’t know what their budget is but they signed on 6 in January and currently have won 7 on the bounce. They have a proven striker they signed in non-league in Norwood but otherwise their squad looks no better than ours really except they play with two wingers. Almost certain of a play off place and could even be top 3 if they keep going.

Why them and not us?

They get bigger crowds, plus when they were in non-League they had bigger parachute payments which helped them bounce back quicker. Plus when they got back up they managed to retain their top striker.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A constructive flaw in our gaffer

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.