January 27, 2019, 1:17pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +876
Gold Stars: 14
[tweet]995332707621265408[/tweet]

Is this what we really want?

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 74
devs
January 27, 2019, 1:30pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 30
Can't see it myself for many of the reasons already stated - and I love Cowley being described as a cockwomble!

But.... as a fan stood next to me at Lincoln sais: "Do I like Rhead? No, I fecking hate him" But "would I have him at GTFC? In  heartbeat"

Positives? I think the major thing we lack is a target man/partner for Wes (who was fantastic yesterday, by the way) - Rhead would be top class at this; holding the ball up, enabling Wes and midfielders to make runs etc. He'd also be a big threat at set pieces.
Obvious neither Cardwell or Akheem have the experience, maturity or presence at the minute

Negatives: He's a cockwomble

I've heard dafter rumours but almost all Jolley's signings are young and hungry players and have half an eye to long term planning
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 74
Abdul19
January 27, 2019, 1:41pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from buckstown

Can't imagine he would only sign to the end of the season though. Minimum 18 months or there's no benefit to him

I think there would be a benefit to him. He'd be getting games which would put him in a better position in the summer.

Whether there's a benefit to us, I'm not so sure.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 74
grimsby pete
January 27, 2019, 2:07pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
If defenders have one eye on him that will give Thomas and Rose (when on the pitch) time to put the ball in the net.

It takes all types to make a successful team

If he does the business he will be  excepted

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 74
TAGG
January 27, 2019, 2:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Noooooooo

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 74
Gaffer58
January 27, 2019, 2:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
He would create space and take the opposing centre half away from Wes, as for those that say no way whatsoever, are these the same people that keep typing " in Jolley we trust".
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 74
buckstown
January 27, 2019, 2:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
Lincoln fans saying he lives near Stoke and is allowed to "self train" one day a week to minimise travel. Don't believe it will happen but this makes it seem ever more unlikely.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 74
Garth
January 27, 2019, 2:42pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Mike Lyons signing if I ever saw one. get more coaching into young Rose that`s what management is all about.
Anyone seeing that video clip with young Henderson surely would not want no part of him playing for GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 74
jamesgtfc
January 27, 2019, 2:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,956
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from buckstown
Lincoln fans saying he lives near Stoke and is allowed to "self train" one day a week to minimise travel. Don't believe it will happen but this makes it seem ever more unlikely.

This makes the Port Vale rumour further up seem a bit more plausible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 74
Andy_worldwide_mariner
January 27, 2019, 3:07pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +104
Afternoon fellow Mariners!

Hope you're all enjoying today following yesterday's win. I know I am!

I've been reading the comments regarding Rhead and the rumours about him signing. Everyone has a different option and that's essentially what a message board like this is all about. For me, I wouldn't be behind Jolley for signing him, however I trust in what he's doing and would hope that it would work out in the instance we did sign.

There's a couple of reasons I would prefer us not to. Firstly, the manager has stated about looking for players that fit the team ethos. I must say I've been really impressed whenever I've heard this. He clearly has an idea of what the club is and how he wants the team to play and be viewed. His signings so far that are generally younger, hungry players with a great work rate. In addition, the team seems to be cohesive and a good unit, this has only been further proven by the players reaction to Fox leaving. I just can't see Rhead fitting in to that sort of dressing room.

I know that some fans have the opinion that we are too nice to play against, which might be a valid point. A lot of successful teams have a mean centre half and a midfield enforcer for example. However this is usually done within the rules of the game, John Welsh's tackle yesterday was a great example of this.

I really wouldn't like to see Rhead up front playing the role that we saw with Richard Brodie. I was embarrassed at times at how he let his temper get the better of him and I can only see that Rhead would be similar if not worse.

To summarise, I'd love a forward that was a handful, who let the opposition defenders know that he was there, but by working their socks off for the team and the fans in the right way. If he does sign then he does, hopefully he'd do the shirt and the club proud, but I just can't see happening.

I'm looking forward to to seeing what the last few days of the transfer window brings. In Jolley I trust.

UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Matt Rhead

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.