7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
January 21, 2019, 8:18pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Think we took the view that there was just enough doubt to make it worth an appeal, with not too much risk another game would be added on for a "frivolous" appeal. Worst case scenario, we lost him for another game. Best case scenario, they downgraded it to a one game ban for denying a goalcoring opportunity. I don't think we thought we would get it overturned completely, so it was worth a go. It didn't work, we've lost nothing, and that's that. I thought it was a red at the time, and still do under current guidelines.

We move on and have an excellent deputy in Russell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 60
IlkleyMariner
January 21, 2019, 8:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
It will give Macca a break until we get into the business end of the season. Macca, please enjoy and come back sharper than ever.

Tomorrow night could even work in our favour.....famous last words?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 60
KingstonMariner
January 21, 2019, 10:26pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Never thought it would succeed. If the original ban was for one match only it would have been daft to appeal. As it was a 3 game ban then there's not so much to lose.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 60
Abdul19
January 21, 2019, 11:30pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from wiggers
My mistake, I thought if you failed with an appeal the ban was increased?

Nope, only if they think you're taking the urine in appealing. It's pretty rare this happens.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 60
diehardmariner
January 22, 2019, 10:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Sussexmariner

I for one is not that bothered about Macca not been in goal, he is a good goalkeeper but not the messiah as some people make out,  he was the one at fault, charging out like that, there was only going to be one outcome. quite happy with another keeper for 3 games

I'm not concerned going into the next 3 games with Russell in goal, I think he's a fine 'keeper.  

But McKeown has been genuinely excellent all season for us, even going back to the back end of last season when he returned from injury.  
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 60
LH
January 22, 2019, 11:01am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,505
Gold Stars: 173

I for one is not that bothered about Macca not been in goal, he is a good goalkeeper but not the messiah as some people make out,  he was the one at fault, charging out like that, there was only going to be one outcome. quite happy with another keeper for 3 games

Can you not remember Anthony Williams, Tommy Forecast and that Kean lad we had last year? You won’t appreciate McKeown til he’s gone.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 60
Northbank Mariner
January 22, 2019, 11:10am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
And what happens if Russell has 3 absolute blinders, commands his box and distrubutss the ball excellently which then leads to multiple attacks, goal scoring opportunities and unlimately 3 convincing wins?....
Yep, unlikely I know and I for one will miss macca when he's gone, probably the best in one on one situations and best shot stopper I've seen at GTFC...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 60
Sussexmariner
January 22, 2019, 11:35am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +618
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from LH

Can you not remember Anthony Williams, Tommy Forecast and that Kean lad we had last year? You won’t appreciate McKeown til he’s gone.

I can remember all those and I can also remember, Dean Henderson, Danny Coyne, Nigel Batch, Steve Mildenhall, Steve Sherwood etc etc all better Goalkeepers than Macca in my opinion. I’m glad we have him, he is a very good goalkeeper at this level, a great shoot stopper and excellent on one on one situations but dealing with crosses and his distribution is not the best.

As I said, I’m glad we have him as our No:1 keeper but have no problem in having Russell in goal for the next few games

Are we any closer to getting promoted since Hurst has been here? No

Has he been given time to achieve promotion by the chairman and fans? Yes

Hurst out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 60
LH
January 22, 2019, 11:55am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,505
Gold Stars: 173

I can remember all those and I can also remember, Dean Henderson, Danny Coyne, Nigel Batch, Steve Mildenhall, Steve Sherwood etc etc all better Goalkeepers than Macca in my opinion. I’m glad we have him, he is a very good goalkeeper at this level, a great shoot stopper and excellent on one on one situations but dealing with crosses and his distribution is not the best.

As I said, I’m glad we have him as our No:1 keeper but have no problem in having Russell in goal for the next few games

Who would have guessed that goalkeepers who were playing at, had played at or were on loan from higher level clubs would be better than a player who has spent the majority of his career in non-league?
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 60
MarinerDevil
January 22, 2019, 12:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,740
Gold Stars: 80
It's been the case for a while that if you fly into a challenge head-on, you're very likely to see red no matter what the circumstances.  Because the ball was won, the only offence possibly committed was endangering an opponent, as opposed to tripping for example.  So to rescind the red card would be to say that it wasn't a foul, which doesn't set the right precedent with regards to player safety as far as the FA are concerned.

If I was making the rules Macca's challenge would have been hard but fair, but I'm not legally bound to protect player safety I suppose.  I honestly think that sliding tackles will be unacceptable in the future, we're already halfway there.

Russell will be a fine stand-in so it isn't a disaster.  Macca tends to come back stronger after a break anyway.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town to appeal against Maccas red card

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.