Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Joe Grayson Signs (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 326 Guests

Joe Grayson Signs (merged)

This thread currently has 9,887 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
tanga_the_indestructible
January 18, 2019, 4:02pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +620
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

With that said, ask yourself why Lincoln are top of this league...
It's not about the punt forward as much as at set pieces and crosses where we are massively under sized...it's shown this season that when we play "footballing" teams we perform relatively well but against the bigger, more physical sides we wilt...that's what I mean about that bulky boy in there, someone who will give centre halves something to think about rather than them not having to lift a foot off the floor to clear the ball out the air...

Yeah I remember us getting completely outplayed by Lincoln at Blundell Park earlier in the season... 🤔

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 50
Northbank Mariner
January 18, 2019, 4:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171

Yeah I remember us getting completely outplayed by Lincoln at Blundell Park earlier in the season... 🤔

And??...did we score many or really threaten their goal??..and did their big bully not win/cheat a penalty??..
Yes we completely gave them the runaround and a masterclass in how to play football the right way, but I stick with my initial statement that we have, as yet, not addressed the one area on the pitch that virtually every town fan knows has been lacking real quality for the past 2 seasons ..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 50
Bigdog
January 18, 2019, 4:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I don't think we need a lump to be honest. Thomas holds the ball up fairly well and more so Cardwell. We need to work the ball better from back to front and create better quality of chances. Other than Fox, the left side has been fairly weak in open play and MJ has signed two players that can hopefully improve that area, so well happy with that, and Grayson looks like he could cover central areas too.

As I've previously said, fully expect MJ to play three at the back in the near future. Maybe a 3-5-2 or maybe a 3-4-2-1 with Vernam and Embleton off Thomas with wing backs outside of Hess and Clifton, which would be an exciting prospect..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 50
ginnywings
January 18, 2019, 4:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548
See he has a full sleeve tattoo. No self respecting young player would be without one.  

Another who is the son of an ex league player from Yorkshire. Perhaps there is a pattern emerging?

Welcome Joe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 50
ska face
January 18, 2019, 4:59pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,653
Gold Stars: 847
When was the last time we ever had one of these mythical big-lump-6ft+-goal-machines? Can’t think of any all the way through the conference, even players like Elding at over 6ft & strong didn’t play like that.

You’re probably looking at Gary Jones under Slade, 13/14 years ago, and he was only 6’1” iirc. Don’t think we need it.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 50
ginnywings
January 18, 2019, 5:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548
While we have been very good against the better footballing sides in the division, which suits our style of counter attacking, we have struggled against the likes of Macclesfield, Morecambe, Cambridge and Cheltenham, so i can see why people would think we need a few more beefy players. But i think what we need is a bit more creativity to break these teams down, not battering ram types. We have a very good core of extremely hard working players, but for me, we just need a little extra guile, especially down the flanks, where we don't get behind the more agricultural teams often enough. I fully expect MJ to go with wing backs as the season progresses, and i think his signings reflect that. You don't need a big lump up front for that, you need forwards who make good runs and can link play. I still think we need another experienced striker this window though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 50
LondonMariner43
January 18, 2019, 5:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
Who was our lump when we got promoted from non league and Amond scored a hatful?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 50
Northbank Mariner
January 18, 2019, 5:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Who was our lump when we got promoted from non league and Amond scored a hatful?  

Bogle!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 50
TheRealJohnLewis
January 18, 2019, 6:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from LondonMariner43

Monkhouse on the left wing.

Private Message
Reply: 38 - 50
Mariner93er
January 18, 2019, 6:17pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
I get the feeling we'll play wingbacks tomorrow against Lincoln, especially with the new lad coming in, at the same time that we get nearly all our centre backs back again. I agree with Ginny though, we lack that bit of pace and flair on the wings to unlock defences. This is a much bigger priority for me than a lump up front. Whenever we hoof it up, it never goes near our player anyway, so there's no point us getting one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Joe Grayson Signs (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.