Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Joe Grayson Signs (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 194 Guests

Joe Grayson Signs (merged)

This thread currently has 9,838 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
January 18, 2019, 6:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,549
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from ginnywings
While we have been very good against the better footballing sides in the division, which suits our style of counter attacking, we have struggled against the likes of Macclesfield, Morecambe, Cambridge and Cheltenham, so i can see why people would think we need a few more beefy players. But i think what we need is a bit more creativity to break these teams down, not battering ram types. We have a very good core of extremely hard working players, but for me, we just need a little extra guile, especially down the flanks, where we don't get behind the more agricultural teams often enough. I fully expect MJ to go with wing backs as the season progresses, and i think his signings reflect that. You don't need a big lump up front for that, you need forwards who make good runs and can link play. I still think we need another experienced striker this window though.

That's a bit harsh on Macclesfield who played football better than us on the day.  We are some way off yet as I think we would both agree.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 50
chipsandgravy
January 18, 2019, 6:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +3,538
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from ginnywings
While we have been very good against the better footballing sides in the division, which suits our style of counter attacking, we have struggled against the likes of Macclesfield, Morecambe, Cambridge and Cheltenham, so i can see why people would think we need a few more beefy players. But i think what we need is a bit more creativity to break these teams down, not battering ram types. We have a very good core of extremely hard working players, but for me, we just need a little extra guile, especially down the flanks, where we don't get behind the more agricultural teams often enough. I fully expect MJ to go with wing backs as the season progresses, and i think his signings reflect that. You don't need a big lump up front for that, you need forwards who make good runs and can link play. I still think we need another experienced striker this window though.

Couldnt agree more. A young Neil Woods would do for me. One of the features of his play was his intelligent runs. And while were at it another Gilbert wouldnt go a miss.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 50
jamesgtfc
January 18, 2019, 6:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
I think we are taking steps to try and replace Collins who will no doubt depart in the summer. A left footed defender adds balance and utility players help during an injury crisis.

Interesting that Hendrie went to Man Utd at 14 as a central defender only to be told he wasn't tall enough and trained as a central midfielder before later being converted into a full back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 50
Grantley
January 18, 2019, 7:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Think the what people are saying about 3-5-2 is valid. What strikes me is the versatility of the defensive signings that we’re now bringing in. We know Hendrie can play all across the back four, Ring can play central and on the left, Grayson seemingly can too, Davis was fine at RB earlier in the season.

MJ also has barely looked at any outright wingers. He has signed Pringle but that was last minute in the transfer window when he realised that 3-5-2 was not going to work.
Think possibly if/when we reach safety he may start experimenting with it?

I am still concerned about where the goals are going to come from.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 50
H19P1
January 18, 2019, 7:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
Welcome Joe 😁
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 50
grimsby pete
January 18, 2019, 7:49pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Welcome Joe I am sure you will .your stay

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 50
Maringer
January 18, 2019, 8:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,142
Gold Stars: 180
Regarding the big striker or lack thereof, I think there is little doubt that a good big 'un will do better than a good little' un. At this level, however, you don't tend to get players who can outmuscle defenders as well as score goals and link play. I think Cardwell is probably going to be our token 'big' striker though he's not likely to bully many defenders in this division.

We've got a reasonable amount of pace with Vernam and Thomas though I do think we're a bit lightweight in attacking positions and there's no doubt we're a pretty diminutive team compared to many in this division. That side of things will improve once the central defenders are back in so I'm not too concerned.

We're setting up to try and play football and don't really have the squad for a more kick and rush style of football so no plan B in that regard. I hope the expected move to 5 at the back helps us take control of midfield a bit more because, good though our run was in December, there was too much backs to the wall defensive stuff and we need to make sure teams don't have as much possession against us as they have been doing of late.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 50
sydney
January 18, 2019, 8:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +994
Gold Stars: 2
Blackburn Rovers season ticket holder mate of mine says we have made a really good signing..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 50
Tommy
January 18, 2019, 9:43pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76

I think this is Jolley's preferred option too. We would see this lad at left side centre and Ring at left wing back. He is trying for belt and braces though isn't he Tom? He wants players who can cover a 3 or a 4 at the back or a wing back all available in his squad.

Having said that and I am all in favour of building a team from the back and midfielders getting forward, but we need goals like fish need water and I hope we see a reliable goalscorer through the door pretty soon.

Absolutely. Then if he did want to switch during the first half of a game to a different formation (one with a back 4),  he could do it without making a sub.

Re: a striker. I'm sure he's looking for one. As are most clubs too I'd imagine. I'd be interested to see if we played two central strikers and Embleton just behind them, if we'd actually start creating more chances for the personnel we've currently got. And then would Thomas score a lot more goals? I think he's be capable.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 50
Tommy
January 18, 2019, 9:49pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Bigdog
I don't think we need a lump to be honest. Thomas holds the ball up fairly well and more so Cardwell. We need to work the ball better from back to front and create better quality of chances. Other than Fox, the left side has been fairly weak in open play and MJ has signed two players that can hopefully improve that area, so well happy with that, and Grayson looks like he could cover central areas too.

As I've previously said, fully expect MJ to play three at the back in the near future. Maybe a 3-5-2 or maybe a 3-4-2-1 with Vernam and Embleton off Thomas with wing backs outside of Hess and Clifton, which would be an exciting prospect..

You'd also have the option to leave Thomas through the middle and push Embleton and Vernam out to wider forward positions - but keep them high up the pitch (even out of possession) and really pin the oppo full-backs back.

The more i think about our squad now with these new additions, players back fit and greater strength in depth, it's starting to look very interesting as there's plenty of tactical variations we could go with. Even within similar formations.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Joe Grayson Signs (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.