This thread currently has 10,652 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Cloudy
October 6, 2018, 9:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
There will be more defeats to come, although hopefully not 6 on the bounce, but IF we believe we want a young manager to develop both himself and young players then maybe we need to be patient?
Five starters aged 23 or under and two more on the bench, much rather have that than a load of journeymen over 30
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 64
grimsby pete
October 6, 2018, 9:09pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
I said MJ needed a bit more time and I am glad he got it,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 64
chaos33
October 6, 2018, 9:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,870
Gold Stars: 353
Did you? And then you said something else the day after, and then something else the day after that.
I'll call you the weather vein Pete - spinning in the wind of prevailing opinion.

Most people were exasperated about the succession of defeats, dreadful performances and lack of goals. Equally, most people weren't asking for Jolley to be sacked. We were all wondering where to vent our frustration. Was it a poor budget? What was wrong with the players?
Those questions were justified. Very few people wanted Jolley to be dismissed, and there was the usual clamour for Fenty to go. I think we just wanted to see GTFC staff raise their game and restore some pride. Most people are right behind Jolley and want him to succeed. He was and is popular.

As said previously; we might win some, lose some and draw some. I think we'll all be ok with that, provided we can play with some commitment and there is some visible evidence of a method.
Feeling much better tonight.
UTM.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 64
HertsGTFC
October 6, 2018, 10:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Cloudy
There will be more defeats to come, although hopefully not 6 on the bounce, but IF we believe we want a young manager to develop both himself and young players then maybe we need to be patient?
Five starters aged 23 or under and two more on the bench, much rather have that than a load of journeymen over 30

Good call I think the bit in bold is where the energy has come from in the last couple of games. Max Wright looks like a prospect to me as well as the lads involved today.

I know "he's one of our own" like us all I'm a bit bias towards him for that as well has his attitude and workmate but I thought Clifton was excellent today, at CM he was the glue that held a lot together, that lad could be some player, hopefully for us for a long while yet!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 64
MuddyWaters
October 6, 2018, 10:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Good call I think the bit in bold is where the energy has come from in the last couple of games. Max Wright looks like a prospect to me as well as the lads involved today.

I know "he's one of our own" like us all I'm a bit bias towards him for that as well has his attitude and workmate but I thought Clifton was excellent today, at CM he was the glue that held a lot together, that lad could be some player, hopefully for us for a long while yet!

It was just good to see Harry playing in the centre of the pitch. The three young lads (him, Embleton & Rose) were great today - yes. they could move more without the ball but they're young & learning,
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 64
headingly_mariner
October 7, 2018, 7:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
A couple of hard fought wins doesn’t deal with the problems in the boardroom.
We’ve had a few good results and then the murmurings about the manager will begin again when we lose a couple.

The squad is thin and cheap. Hopefully MJ will get the best out of them, but I feel it will be an uphill battle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 64
Rik e B
October 7, 2018, 7:29pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
But is MJ sitting on some of his budget till January as he's earmarked player's from the Swedish leagues?

And he's had a potentially star man crocked for the Season before it started don't forget.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 64
KingstonMariner
October 7, 2018, 11:31pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from headingly_mariner
A couple of hard fought wins doesn’t deal with the problems in the boardroom.
We’ve had a few good results and then the murmurings about the manager will begin again when we lose a couple.

The squad is thin and cheap. Hopefully MJ will get the best out of them, but I feel it will be an uphill battle.

It doesn't but we live in hope.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 64
fishboyUTM
October 7, 2018, 11:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,070
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Just good to see our younger players given the chance to play in their preferred positions, notably Vernam & Clifton. Harry looks so much more at ease in a central position and barely wasted a pass all game.

Square pegs in round holes has cost us IMO. Sometimes it's a case of having to play someone out of position but it's been needless. Harry Clifton at right wing back, or right wing was never going to work for example. Hate to say it but the energy of the midfield three has been vital these last couple of games. John Welsh sitting in front of the back four has only slowed us down, Vernam over Woolford was a change that should have been made some time ago IMO.

That said, I am firmly behind Michael. We played some great stuff at Carlisle, and on Saturday we were excellent. Let's hope we can kick on and get into the play offs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 64
Tommy
October 8, 2018, 2:02am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Rik e B
But is MJ sitting on some of his budget till January as he's earmarked player's from the Swedish leagues?

And he's had a potentially star man crocked for the Season before it started don't forget.

I know you're only asking the question Rik, but a lot of people seem to have this idea and I really don't know what it's based on other than wildly guessing or putting 2+2 together from some loosely-made comments in past interviews.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Humble Pie

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.