This thread currently has 10,605 views. Print
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
October 6, 2018, 5:02pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,956
Gold Stars: 189

Must admit a week ago I was asking for Jolley to be sacked on here but after our last two performances I'm happy to eat humble pie and admit I was wrong (for now).......... it's a funny old game.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Swansea_Mariner
October 6, 2018, 5:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
I think most of us who want Jolley to succeed were feeling the heat last Saturday, it was impossible not to. I thought he'd shot his bolt for sure but back to back wins gives us some breathing space for now.

Feeling hopefull again!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 64
chicaneuk
October 6, 2018, 5:23pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 5
Have believed in the man from the start and was more than content for him to have the entire season to prove himself... I am really pleased to see he might be starting to turn it around!

Great result today. UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 64
grimps
October 6, 2018, 5:36pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,994
Gold Stars: 46
Any manager that loses 6 on the bounce is going to be threatened with the sack , any criticism he and the team recieved was deserved .
Everyone wants Jolley to do well and hopefully we’ve turned the corner now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 64
promotion plaice
October 6, 2018, 5:41pm

I suppose Mr Fenty has to be given credit by not sacking Jolley after that bad run......did I really say that   ......just off to wash my mouth out.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 64
fleabag1970
October 6, 2018, 5:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
The Problem has gone . We are playing well . Am I shocked ? No

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 64
Grantley
October 6, 2018, 6:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from fleabag1970

Can you elaborate on this? You’ve mentioned it twice now.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 64
RoboCod
October 6, 2018, 6:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
The losing streak was awful and becoming indefensible, but sacking in September wasn't the answer. We're all allowed opinions but coming back from BP after another defeat filled with anger and demanding the Manager go NOW, or by Sunday dinnertime or Monday morning is never the answer. Just as the two-win streak doesn't mean the Manager should have a contract extension.
We need a bit of calm now, there's still a bumpy road ahead but we have the ways and the means of getting through the season and installing something for next.

Let's just keep getting those goals Town, it's all the difference.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 64
ginnywings
October 6, 2018, 6:45pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
As long as we are not in the mire at the bottom, i'm quite happy for Jolley and Limbrick to be given the time to build a team and squad capable of at least competing in this league. We haven't given a manager time since Hurst and that came good eventually. We've actually seen some decent footy at times under Jolley's short tenure and once we can hit that standard more regularly, we will do fine. We have a lot of young players at the club who need time to develop too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 64
Kris2
October 6, 2018, 6:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
Consistency will be the difference maker. We've been struggling to find that for a while. Only our second home win of the season and we only have one draw at home with the rest being losses. We have lost over 50% of games so far. We only have 3 wins and 2 of those were back to back the last 2 games.

I'm not going to lick behind just because we managed to beat two teams that are out of form. Saying we shouldn't demand to sack the manager is all well and good but you need to be equally realistic about us finally picking up a couple of wins. If form slips and it's after January it'll be already too late to save the season.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 64
MuddyWaters
October 6, 2018, 6:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Just good to see our younger players given the chance to play in their preferred positions, notably Vernam & Clifton. Harry looks so much more at ease in a central position and barely wasted a pass all game.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 64
Yoda
October 6, 2018, 6:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +4 / -20
Approval: -2,969
Gold Stars: 65
I have to say we where all sick of Towns never ending poor form.
It’s nice to see a bit of football not just lumping it up to Cook for a huge contest half to head away all match.
Well done MJ and Mr Limbrick
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 64
oochiad
October 6, 2018, 7:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,647
Gold Stars: 27
As I always say, patience. Most on here don’t have it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 64
devs
October 6, 2018, 7:30pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,960
Gold Stars: 30
Humble pie brigade
Don't care about you
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 64
lew chaterleys lover
October 6, 2018, 7:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from oochiad
As I always say, patience. Most on here don’t have it.

Its not that at all!

How many defeats did you want before we asked for a new manager? We weren't playing well either, and every stat was pathetic. Jolley himself sounded unsure and knew he was under intense pressure. I think the fact there was a Tuesday night game after Morecombe helped him.

We all want him to succeed, but you cannot have six straight defeats with hardly any attacking play and/ or goals and not expect people to be asking for change.

I hope we go from strength to strength and storm up the league but we can only comment on what is in front of us.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 64
devs
October 6, 2018, 7:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,960
Gold Stars: 30
But most people comment and ask for the sack on a game by game basis
Pathetic
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 64
pontoonlew
October 6, 2018, 7:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,722
Gold Stars: 163
Calling to sack a manager after what he did with the squad last season is absolutely stupid 2 months into the following season. Those ‘eating humble pie’were contributing to a toxic atmosphere. People tagging Jolley in tweets ffs.

After everything that’s happened to this club, we should know that people need time and changing managers constantly is not good for anybody.

Jolley has shown signs since he’s been here that he could achieve good things here. He’s made errors but he’s certainly earnt the chance to have a good crack at this. Calling for his head 10 games in was, in my mind, unfair.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 64
forza ivano
October 6, 2018, 7:53pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from fleabag1970

Not trying to be funny fleabag, but could you please expand.it appears that you have a theory but myself and a number of others haven't got a clue as to what you are hinting at!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 64
Rik e B
October 6, 2018, 7:58pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Welsh? That's who came to my mind he meant following first cryptic message. Not that I'm anti-Welsh personally
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 64
HertsGTFC
October 6, 2018, 8:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from promotion plaice

Must admit a week ago I was asking for Jolley to be sacked on here but after our last two performances I'm happy to eat humble pie and admit I was wrong (for now).......... it's a funny old game.

I was exactly the same, glad I was wrong!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 64
Cloudy
October 6, 2018, 9:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
There will be more defeats to come, although hopefully not 6 on the bounce, but IF we believe we want a young manager to develop both himself and young players then maybe we need to be patient?
Five starters aged 23 or under and two more on the bench, much rather have that than a load of journeymen over 30
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 64
grimsby pete
October 6, 2018, 9:09pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I said MJ needed a bit more time and I am glad he got it,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 64
chaos33
October 6, 2018, 9:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Did you? And then you said something else the day after, and then something else the day after that.
I'll call you the weather vein Pete - spinning in the wind of prevailing opinion.

Most people were exasperated about the succession of defeats, dreadful performances and lack of goals. Equally, most people weren't asking for Jolley to be sacked. We were all wondering where to vent our frustration. Was it a poor budget? What was wrong with the players?
Those questions were justified. Very few people wanted Jolley to be dismissed, and there was the usual clamour for Fenty to go. I think we just wanted to see GTFC staff raise their game and restore some pride. Most people are right behind Jolley and want him to succeed. He was and is popular.

As said previously; we might win some, lose some and draw some. I think we'll all be ok with that, provided we can play with some commitment and there is some visible evidence of a method.
Feeling much better tonight.
UTM.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 64
HertsGTFC
October 6, 2018, 10:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from Cloudy
There will be more defeats to come, although hopefully not 6 on the bounce, but IF we believe we want a young manager to develop both himself and young players then maybe we need to be patient?
Five starters aged 23 or under and two more on the bench, much rather have that than a load of journeymen over 30

Good call I think the bit in bold is where the energy has come from in the last couple of games. Max Wright looks like a prospect to me as well as the lads involved today.

I know "he's one of our own" like us all I'm a bit bias towards him for that as well has his attitude and workmate but I thought Clifton was excellent today, at CM he was the glue that held a lot together, that lad could be some player, hopefully for us for a long while yet!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 64
MuddyWaters
October 6, 2018, 10:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Good call I think the bit in bold is where the energy has come from in the last couple of games. Max Wright looks like a prospect to me as well as the lads involved today.

I know "he's one of our own" like us all I'm a bit bias towards him for that as well has his attitude and workmate but I thought Clifton was excellent today, at CM he was the glue that held a lot together, that lad could be some player, hopefully for us for a long while yet!

It was just good to see Harry playing in the centre of the pitch. The three young lads (him, Embleton & Rose) were great today - yes. they could move more without the ball but they're young & learning,
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 64
headingly_mariner
October 7, 2018, 7:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
A couple of hard fought wins doesn’t deal with the problems in the boardroom.
We’ve had a few good results and then the murmurings about the manager will begin again when we lose a couple.

The squad is thin and cheap. Hopefully MJ will get the best out of them, but I feel it will be an uphill battle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 64
Rik e B
October 7, 2018, 7:29pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
But is MJ sitting on some of his budget till January as he's earmarked player's from the Swedish leagues?

And he's had a potentially star man crocked for the Season before it started don't forget.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 64
KingstonMariner
October 7, 2018, 11:31pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from headingly_mariner
We’ve had a few good results and then the murmurings about the manager will begin again when we lose a couple.

The squad is thin and cheap. Hopefully MJ will get the best out of them, but I feel it will be an uphill battle.

It doesn't but we live in hope.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 64
fishboyUTM
October 7, 2018, 11:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Just good to see our younger players given the chance to play in their preferred positions, notably Vernam & Clifton. Harry looks so much more at ease in a central position and barely wasted a pass all game.

Square pegs in round holes has cost us IMO. Sometimes it's a case of having to play someone out of position but it's been needless. Harry Clifton at right wing back, or right wing was never going to work for example. Hate to say it but the energy of the midfield three has been vital these last couple of games. John Welsh sitting in front of the back four has only slowed us down, Vernam over Woolford was a change that should have been made some time ago IMO.

That said, I am firmly behind Michael. We played some great stuff at Carlisle, and on Saturday we were excellent. Let's hope we can kick on and get into the play offs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 64
Tommy
October 8, 2018, 2:02am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Rik e B
But is MJ sitting on some of his budget till January as he's earmarked player's from the Swedish leagues?

And he's had a potentially star man crocked for the Season before it started don't forget.

I know you're only asking the question Rik, but a lot of people seem to have this idea and I really don't know what it's based on other than wildly guessing or putting 2+2 together from some loosely-made comments in past interviews.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 64
Cloudy
October 8, 2018, 7:11am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Tommy

I know you're only asking the question Rik, but a lot of people seem to have this idea and I really don't know what it's based on other than wildly guessing or putting 2+2 together from some loosely-made comments in past interviews.

Tbf to Rik MJ did say he had a couple of players from Sweden lined up but our summer was a difficult time to do deals as it is mid season in Sweden and that he hoped to do something once their season was over in late Nov/ early Dec.
Jolley said this in a recorded interview /open forum
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 64
dapperz fun pub
October 8, 2018, 7:17am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Some on here we’re doubting Clifton’s quality without seeing him in his preferred position , he’s still got plenty to learn but how can MJ leave that energy out of the team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 64
Rick12
October 8, 2018, 7:44am
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45

Football is a funny old game.I was optimistic about Jolley at the start of the season given what he had accomplished at the end of last season and  not to mention  his impressive array of  coaching and educational qualifications.Given what transpired at the start of this season I was surprised at how we were initially struggling as I didnt expect it.I am happy that he has got 2 wins on the bounce now and hope he can steady the ship.I feel for him though and the players as football is so pressurised nowadays and  more so with the the advent of social media.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 64
Tommy
October 8, 2018, 8:19am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Cloudy

Tbf to Rik MJ did say he had a couple of players from Sweden lined up but our summer was a difficult time to do deals as it is mid season in Sweden and that he hoped to do something once their season was over in late Nov/ early Dec.
Jolley said this in a recorded interview /open forum

That's fair enough if that's the case.

All I remembered was him making some vague comments about sometimes not being able to do certain deals until certain windows. Or something along those lines without giving any detail. But if he specifically mentioned Sweden and players from there then my apologies.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 64
rancido
October 8, 2018, 5:35pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Maybe you would like to expand on this statement?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 64
psgmariner
October 8, 2018, 6:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
I think it’s fairly clear the squad was cheap. Akinde and O’connor turned us down (presumably due to money) and we mostly signed players who were either on their down or already there! I’m rooting for Town as always but let’s be realistic about the quality we have.

Private Message
Reply: 35 - 64
psgmariner
October 8, 2018, 7:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
Reread my last post and it’s a bit OTT. All I meant was like a lot of others I was underwhelmed by our recruitment in the summer - especially after selling our most creative player for a half decent fee.

Private Message
Reply: 36 - 64
Poojah
October 8, 2018, 8:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,490
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Some on here we’re doubting Clifton’s quality without seeing him in his preferred position , he’s still got plenty to learn but how can MJ leave that energy out of the team

Honestly, I thought Harry was absolutely superb on Saturday. I'll be honest, there have been occasions when I've felt games have passed him by a little and I've wondered to myself whether he truly had the ability to grind out a successful career in the professional game. I suspect a lot of that can be attributed to being played out of position.

The way he played and carried himself against Port Vale was hugely encouraging though; it was such a mature and confident performance in which he showed some real moments of quality. Bear in mind that was only his 19th senior league appearance, yet it looked more like his 190th.

On that showing you'd be hard pushed to say that Elliot Embleton (who also impressed me) is a markedly better player, and he's been involved with England at just about every youth level he's been eligable for. It bodes well for the lad if he can keep on developing - it's an absolute travesty that you have to go back as far as 1997, to John Oster, since the last time we were able to sell on a product of our own youth system for a sizeable fee.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 64
Poojah
October 8, 2018, 9:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,490
Quoted from psgmariner
I think it’s fairly clear the squad was cheap. Akinde and O’connor turned us down (presumably due to money) and we mostly signed players who were either on their down or already there! I’m rooting for Town as always but let’s be realistic about the quality we have.

I think with hindsight, our summer recruitment had hallmarks of a restricted budget. Apparently missing out on numerous targets, obscure signings such as the likes of Robles (no disrespect to the lad intended) and in particular our inability to sign a physical striker (which presumably we were trying to given our interest in Akinde, Fortune and Bowman).

Which does kind of beg the question why, given that we have top 6 average gates, and that's even with our abject home form - I reckon we'd be pushing top 3 if we were playing decent football and in with a genuine shout of promotion. Are we being more sensible than other clubs, or do they simply have more investment from directors than we do?

Whilst I don't condone clubs spending beyond their means, it's true that you have to speculate to accumulate and I do wonder if a little more ambition in the transfer market would be a risk worth taking. You can't guarantee success, but another 1,000 on our average gate would equate to roughly £300k - £350k in the coffers over the course of the season. Like it or not, Lincoln are a testament to what forward momentum can do.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 64
Maringer
October 8, 2018, 9:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
Well, we did have a 'six figure' offer for Angol accepted, but he obviously didn't want to come and used our interest to get a move elsewhere. The loss of Whitehouse, who will be one of our biggest earners shouldn't be forgotten either.

I do think we started the season several players light though of course the arrival of Thomas, Pringle, Hendrie and Emberton added much-needed numbers. However, I don't think the players we've signed indicate we've been exactly pinching the pennies. Not that we'll be spending as much as several of the teams.

Hopefully, Hooper and the returning Cardwell can offer enough support to the likes of Thomas/Cook to get the goals we need. Regardless of whether or not Jolley has Zlatan Mk. II ready to sign in January!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 64
barralad
October 8, 2018, 11:08pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Maringer
Well, we did have a 'six figure' offer for Angol accepted, but he obviously didn't want to come and used our interest to get a move elsewhere. The loss of Whitehouse, who will be one of our biggest earners shouldn't be forgotten either.

I do think we started the season several players light though of course the arrival of Thomas, Pringle, Hendrie and Emberton added much-needed numbers. However, I don't think the players we've signed indicate we've been exactly pinching the pennies. Not that we'll be spending as much as several of the teams.

Hopefully, Hooper and the returning Cardwell can offer enough support to the likes of Thomas/Cook to get the goals we need. Regardless of whether or not Jolley has Zlatan Mk. II ready to sign in January!  

Good balanced post. Something substantial would have been needed to get Whitehouse here from the Gimps and both Welsh and Hess were persuaded to drop down a bit but it is reasonable to assume that we won't be in a position to outspend the likes of County and FGR if we are living within our means. I can see the arguments for both sides.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 64
MuddyWaters
October 9, 2018, 8:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

I think with hindsight, our summer recruitment had hallmarks of a restricted budget. Apparently missing out on numerous targets, obscure signings such as the likes of Robles (no disrespect to the lad intended) and in particular our inability to sign a physical striker (which presumably we were trying to given our interest in Akinde, Fortune and Bowman).

Which does kind of beg the question why, given that we have top 6 average gates, and that's even with our abject home form - I reckon we'd be pushing top 3 if we were playing decent football and in with a genuine shout of promotion. Are we being more sensible than other clubs, or do they simply have more investment from directors than we do?

Whilst I don't condone clubs spending beyond their means, it's true that you have to speculate to accumulate and I do wonder if a little more ambition in the transfer market would be a risk worth taking. You can't guarantee success, but another 1,000 on our average gate would equate to roughly £300k - £350k in the coffers over the course of the season. Like it or not, Lincoln are a testament to what forward momentum can do.

I know that we might have built up our expectations a bit, but the first game attendance shows that there is (and always has been) an appetite for success - an extra 1000 on the home gate is an achievable objective.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 64
Rick12
October 9, 2018, 8:14am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Its a shame more fans dont support the team through thick and thin as opposed to just when they are doing well.So long as the players are making the effort and are prepared to make sacrifices to better themselves as players and in turn the club I think they merit the support of the fans.

Having said that I appreciate that nowadays football isnt cheap.Hence £20 to watch a game in league 2 is quite expensive and Iam sure some would prefer to do other things on a Saturday rather than regularly watch Grimsby play on a cold Saturday afternoon at Blundell Park.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 64
pen penfras
October 9, 2018, 8:26am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -140
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I know that we might have built up our expectations a bit, but the first game attendance shows that there is (and always has been) an appetite for success - an extra 1000 on the home gate is an achievable objective.

Yes, 1000 extra on the gate is realistic if we're at the top end of the table. The problem is that spending an extra £500k doesn't guarantee that, then the gap has to be covered by Fenty and the loans go up which the majority will complain about and then blame him for badly managing the budget. You've only got to look at Chesterfield last season to see that having one of the biggest playing budgets in the division guarantees you nothing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 64
Cloudy
October 9, 2018, 8:36am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

Yes, 1000 extra on the gate is realistic if we're at the top end of the table. The problem is that spending an extra £500k doesn't guarantee that, then the gap has to be covered by Fenty and the loans go up which the majority will complain about and then blame him for badly managing the budget. You've only got to look at Chesterfield last season to see that having one of the biggest playing budgets in the division guarantees you nothing.

Agree that I for one dont want Fenty increasing his loans in any shape or form BUT I maintain that with proper engagement with the community the budget could be bigger, much bigger.

The fact is there is no encouragement for season ticket purchases, no genuine attempt to involve the business community, no clear plan to get buy-in from all elements of the community.

There are ways of increasing income other than Mr Fenty lending the club money
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 64
promotion plaice
October 9, 2018, 9:47am

Quoted from Rick12
Its a shame more fans dont support the team through thick and thin as opposed to just when they are doing well.So long as the players are making the effort and are prepared to make sacrifices to better themselves as players and in turn the club I think they merit the support of the fans.

Having said that I appreciate that nowadays football isnt cheap.Hence £20 to watch a game in league 2 is quite expensive and Iam sure some would prefer to do other things on a Saturday rather than regularly watch Grimsby play on a cold Saturday afternoon at Blundell Park.

Probably because many locals these days support the likes of Man Utd,Liverpool etc on the TV and have little interest in following Town unless we're doing really well.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 64
ginnywings
October 9, 2018, 11:48am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Rick12

There's your problem. When was the last time we were successful in the league? We fudged the momentum of returning to the league, and we did the same when Jolley pulled off the great escape. First game of the season against FGR, there were 5800 Town fans in BP, and the same against Lincoln. By the time of the Port Vale game, there were 3600. Those 2200 fans were instantly disengaged by poor football and even poorer results.

I know scores of fans who keep coming back, see nothing has changed and drift off again. There are the core fans such as myself, and 3000 ish others who keep plodding along thinking it will get better eventually, but it never does. A lot of people will not pay 20 quid to watch us meekly lose to Morecambe, that's the reality.

I fully understand both sides of the argument regarding the budget, and we are, on the whole, stable financially, but there also has to be an element of a gamble on better players to enthuse the fans to return and stick around. To be fair to the club, it did look like we were trying to use the Dembele cash to fund a striker, with known bids for one or two, but like some of the stay away fans, we couldn't persuade them that BP was the place to be. Maybe the next window or two will see some better players brought in?

The simple fact is that winning teams bring in the fans, who bring in the extra money, which allows you to sign the better players. The dilemma is whether you spend that money up front and hope it works, or you try to build a winning side within budget restraints, and slowly improve as results improve. There are arguments for both.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 64
Jarmo.Is.God
October 9, 2018, 12:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
As I said on another post after the Carlisle win, I don't think anyone is to blame for the 6 straight defeats as such.

MJ Had a plan
JF agreed to the plan and has supplied a 'competitive' budget

The problem as such is we let Mills go, as Hall-Johnson suits the wing back role a lot better, but then he got injured
Probably one of our biggest signing of the summer in Whitehouse got injured in pre-season and its out for majority if not all of the season.
Fox who is a decent if not fantastic Wing back got injured

And despite bids for numours strikers, for one reason or another it didnt happen.

We also got suspensions.
Rose in the 2nd game
Dixon in the 4th game
Thomas in the 5th game

So for this, i don't blame MJ or Fenty

Fenty continuted to back MJ and let him sign Hendrie, Pringle and Thomas

People have give Collins stick, yet at 38 years old, he's played 10 of the 14 games, and the 4 he didn't play was because he played 89mins vs Lincoln with a broken arm.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 64
diehardmariner
October 9, 2018, 12:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,091
Gold Stars: 520
I think it's easy to forget that Jolley still has the Dembele money to spend.  I think it's a fair presumption that the money we used to bid for Bowman and Angol was from the Dembele sale and unless we had to pay Thomas an extra £2k a week to get him to sign, it's still there to be spent.

Ideally you want your squad in place for the whole season but if it's January when we bring in the final few pieces then so be it.  But where are they going to go?  

GK - McKeown and Russell - both signed deals in the summer
RB - Hall-Johnson - signed a deal in the summer
LB - Dixon (out of contract in summer, highly unlikely to stay) and Fox (signed a deal in the summer)
CB - Collins, Whitmore and Davis all signed deals in the summer.  Famewo here for the rest of the season on loan
Wing - Woolford and Wright both signed deals until the summer.  Embleton on loan until January. Pringle on loan for the rest of the season.
CM - Rose, Welsh, Clifton, Hessenthaler and Whitehouse all signed deals in the summer.  
ST - Cardwell and Hooper (contracted for the rest of the season) Rose, Cook, Thomas and Vernam all signed deals in the summer.

I think there's the possibility that Dixon will leave in January but otherwise I'm struggling to see anyone else leaving.  I think we would benefit from some defensive cover, especially at full-back but in more advanced positions I'm doubtful if there's room in the squad without it becoming a bit bloated.  
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 64
Rick12
October 9, 2018, 2:37pm
Vodka Drinker

Probably because many locals these days support the likes of Man Utd,Liverpool etc on the TV and have little interest in following Town unless we're doing really well.
Shame  .I rather follow a team I have an affiliation to rather than just supporting a team because they are successful

Quoted from ginnywings
. I rather be a true supporter that follows a club where I have a affiliation to than just following because a team is successful

The simple fact is that winning teams bring in the fans, who bring in the extra money, which allows you to sign the better players. The dilemma is whether you spend that money up front and hope it works, or you try to build a winning side within budget restraints, and slowly improve as results improve. There are arguments for both.
I rather we do the latter. Just look at Leeds not so long ago.Were living beyond their means and look how they have since fallen from grace

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 64
KingstonMariner
October 9, 2018, 11:04pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Cloudy

Agree that I for one dont want Fenty increasing his loans in any shape or form BUT I maintain that with proper engagement with the community the budget could be bigger, much bigger.

The fact is there is no encouragement for season ticket purchases, no genuine attempt to involve the business community, no clear plan to get buy-in from all elements of the community.

There are ways of increasing income other than Mr Fenty lending the club money

This in spades. Just look at the season ticket marketing campaign right after we'd got our first promotion in 18 years, on the back of the feel good factor of Op Promo.

What ST marketing campaign I hear you ask. Precisely.

Instead the club was happy to rest on its laurels of having the best ST sales for some years, and not make a bloody effort to do better.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 64
1mickylyons
October 10, 2018, 6:58am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from KingstonMariner

This in spades. Just look at the season ticket marketing campaign right after we'd got our first promotion in 18 years, on the back of the feel good factor of Op Promo.

What ST marketing campaign I hear you ask. Precisely.

Instead the club was happy to rest on its laurels of having the best ST sales for some years, and not make a bloody effort to do better.

That lack of effort from GTFC is precisely why we struggle to make any progress off the field.The it will do attitude
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 64
golfer
October 10, 2018, 7:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,376
Gold Stars: 112
If there was a "marketing campaign " who's job would this be or don't we have designated posts. Do people do what they want or is everything willy nilly. Do we have media chief.personnel boss, maintenance gaffer,pitch repairer,Upper Findus side repairer,bog cleaner organiser,security head,police co-ordinator. Do we need someone to co-ordinate these things because an awful lot isn't getting done.Are there any courses available because something is needed to look after the fans a bit better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 64
Helgy
October 10, 2018, 8:01am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +118
When the Cowleys came in they revolutionised the place, they had a presentation of what was expected of the staff/everyone.
The Cowley way with bullet points it was an interesting read.
The staff then had to up their performance like the playing staff.
Spent the last 2 seasons in the conference at the club a fair bit so was able to see it all,
It was an amazing time.
It the whole ethos that would need changing old attitudes need to go ,there would need to be a total engagement with the local schools that connection is very important ,the kids need to support their local team not a prem team.

Fenty why does he still hold on if he wants out that suggests he wants to stay really , he needs to up his game the PR is a disaster.
The blame game is incredible instead of holding up his hand blame is deflected around.
That only makes things look worse.
Don't have that at Lincoln its you make a mistake its admitted and you move on.

The only thing holding things back is a reluctance to change.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 64
RoboCod
October 10, 2018, 8:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Thing is Helgy, you had a completely clean sweep. New board, new investment AND new management. In Old Bob you had someone who wanted the best for his club, someone who knew he'd at least helped the club through its lean times and was now ready to step back and let a new regime do its thing.

I don't need to point out that we most certainly don't have that situation as you point it out yourself. I don't know what it will take for change at GTFC but I suspect the club may be in its death throes before any significant change at board level is made.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 64
dapperz fun pub
October 10, 2018, 8:10am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from Helgy
When the Cowleys came in they revolutionised the place, they had a presentation of what was expected of the staff/everyone.
The Cowley way with bullet points it was an interesting read.
The staff then had to up their performance like the playing staff.
Spent the last 2 seasons in the conference at the club a fair bit so was able to see it all,
It was an amazing time.
It the whole ethos that would need changing old attitudes need to go ,there would need to be a total engagement with the local schools that connection is very important ,the kids need to support their local team not a prem team.

Fenty why does he still hold on if he wants out that suggests he wants to stay really , he needs to up his game the PR is a disaster.
The blame game is incredible instead of holding up his hand blame is deflected around.
That only makes things look worse.
Don't have that at Lincoln its you make a mistake its admitted and you move on.

What’s holding the club back is the benign loans no one will take the club on while their hanging over the clubs head , so forget change well for now anyway.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 64
Cloudy
October 10, 2018, 8:11am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Helgy

We dont have a reluctance to change more a determination not to change & that is THE biggest issue!
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 64
Helgy
October 10, 2018, 1:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +118
Robocod at the start when they came in we didn’t have all the investment we have now.
We had Clive and that helped his knowledge & investment getting them in.
They connected to the local population big time and that’s key.
Later on the success & Clives contacts came on board.
Cowleys are not like any other manager we have had.
It’s important the connection between the schools is there
That said the will to change is required unless they think they don’t have to.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 64
diehardmariner
October 10, 2018, 1:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Y'see what Jolley did over the summer was what we needed as a club to try and reconnect with the local population.  

He turned things around on the pitch, worked his bloody backside off to do that softer community stuff to get the locals on board but he was then completely let down by the those in the corridors of power.  They had no desire or inclination to change their approach and pretty much just did as they've always did.  No push for extra ticket sales, no drive to bring people on board who may have been tempted, nothing.  Just the same old cycle.

The club had a decent turn out for the first game of the season, largely on the back of the positive feeling created by Jolley over the summer and then an equally decent game for the derby against yourselves, which no-one can have gone home from feeling they weren't entertained.  The opener against FGR was a damp squib but the derby game was something to capitalise on, we did nothing.  Granted, poor form and displays haven't helped and I still maintain that when you guys have a wobble, your gates will drop dramatically simply because you'll have a large chunk of your gate that hasn't really seen a bad run so far.  But the underlying issue is that even before your investment, you had guys in power who were at least willing to look beyond their own noses.  We've got a guy who actually believes he's doing a good job and won't consider the opinions of anyone else, never mind them having involvement.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 64
MuddyWaters
October 10, 2018, 4:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
Y'see what Jolley did over the summer was what we needed as a club to try and reconnect with the local population.  

He turned things around on the pitch, worked his bloody backside off to do that softer community stuff to get the locals on board but he was then completely let down by the those in the corridors of power.  They had no desire or inclination to change their approach and pretty much just did as they've always did.  No push for extra ticket sales, no drive to bring people on board who may have been tempted, nothing.  Just the same old cycle.

The club had a decent turn out for the first game of the season, largely on the back of the positive feeling created by Jolley over the summer and then an equally decent game for the derby against yourselves, which no-one can have gone home from feeling they weren't entertained.  The opener against FGR was a damp squib but the derby game was something to capitalise on, we did nothing.  Granted, poor form and displays haven't helped and I still maintain that when you guys have a wobble, your gates will drop dramatically simply because you'll have a large chunk of your gate that hasn't really seen a bad run so far.  But the underlying issue is that even before your investment, you had guys in power who were at least willing to look beyond their own noses.  We've got a guy who actually believes he's doing a good job and won't consider the opinions of anyone else, never mind them having involvement.

I dread to think how many times that fans who truly love the club have to write posts like this.

Surely if JF is as big a fan as he says, he can look at the club and realise how underwhelming, no poor, the results of his tenure are. Using 'the Jolley revolution' for marketing is one thing but you've got to back it up. For all that went on in the summer, the visits have dried up and the same old 'make some noise for the boys', 'you can be the 12th man' is as exciting as it gets. Dare to be different Mr Fenty, no, even dare to be slightly progressive, we need some excitement in our lives!
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 64
lew chaterleys lover
October 10, 2018, 9:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I dread to think how many times that fans who truly love the club have to write posts like this.

Surely if JF is as big a fan as he says, he can look at the club and realise how underwhelming, no poor, the results of his tenure are. Using 'the Jolley revolution' for marketing is one thing but you've got to back it up. For all that went on in the summer, the visits have dried up and the same old 'make some noise for the boys', 'you can be the 12th man' is as exciting as it gets. Dare to be different Mr Fenty, no, even dare to be slightly progressive, we need some excitement in our lives!

People don't change really do they? Not really. You are who you are - I know I am and I guess everybody else is the same.

Fenty had the gumption to "save" the club all those years ago, and credit must go to him for that and I guess he was the right man at the right time; now he is the wrong man at the wrong time and we need a clean sweep of the off field set up to give us fresh impetus, well any impetus.

It must be difficult for him to let go of the reins as he must think he deserves a legacy for saving the club all those years ago, but that attitude (and his loans) are holding the club back.

To get back to my original point it is a thankless task some of us on here expecting the club (Fenty) to try anything different and better because a leopard never changes his spots. He made his money in a different world in a certain way and sadly has not been able to adapt and adopt a more collegiate approach for the benefit of the club. Till he goes we are stuck.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 64
golfer
October 10, 2018, 11:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,376
Gold Stars: 112
Post after post by the same people calling for J.S.F. to resign. Getting slightly boring now. He's going nowhere-would you ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 64
RoboCod
October 10, 2018, 11:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from golfer
Post after post by the same people calling for J.S.F. to resign. Getting slightly boring now. He's going nowhere-would you ?

Yes. With the shred of dignity I have left. Before the next fans forum/shambles comes along.

Fenty OUT.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 64
1mickylyons
October 11, 2018, 7:12am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from golfer

The voices singing his praises and supporting him are getting less and less probably just enough to fill a bunker or snooker room.

The fact Town sold 3k Season tickets was a miracle and ONLY MJ made that happen.Thevast majority of fan`s support the team and manager but not the regime.FENTY OUT
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 64
diehardmariner
October 11, 2018, 8:55am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

The voices singing his praises and supporting him are getting less and less probably just enough to fill a bunker or snooker room.

The fact Town sold 3k Season tickets was a miracle and ONLY MJ made that happen.Thevast majority of fan`s support the team and manager but not the regime.FENTY OUT

Aye.  

Eight months ago I was very adamant I wasn't renewing my season ticket, in fact I think the vast majority were of the same view point based on what I saw on here, Twitter etc. (appreciate that's not receptive of the whole fan base but there was enough people saying 'no' to suggest sales would be well down).  

As it happened Jolley turned it around and gave a huge feel good feeling to all the fans.  A genuine belief that not only was he going to change things on the pitch but he was getting the go-ahead to bring about change across the club overall.   In hindsight that was probably a combination of gullibility by the fans and a little bit of deviousness by the club to trickle that out there.  As it's happened nothing has changed really.  Yeah Jolley has been able to bring in the sports science approach that we should have had 7-8 years ago but away from the training ground we're still run like an old boys club.
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 64
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.