Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Carlisle match thread
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 291 Guests

Carlisle match thread

This thread currently has 32,819 views. Print
26 Pages Prev ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next All Recommend Thread
drbell
October 3, 2018, 11:18am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +269
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from Tommy

Disagree with that bit in bold.

The opposition having the ball doesn't mean we're not defending well.

How many saves did Macca have to make? None that you wouldn't have expected him to make with ease, that's for sure. And nothing from inside the box.

We didn't let them play through us and didn't let them get in behind us in that second half apart from a couple of unfortunate slips from Hendrie.

The only thing I'd say that was a major concern was the number of corners we gave them. Just them having so many opportunities to put the ball into the box full of players could've been costly. But generally defending was fine from what I saw.

Interesting how we all see the same game differently. For me we let them get into promising and dangerous positions again and again (10 times? 20?), even allowing them to walk into our box and pass it around on a couple of times. A better side would have made these into chances, which may have been taken. Carlisle crossed behind the goal, mispassed, fell over, and just failed to create anything clear cut. Their only hope was corners which unlike us they kept away from the keeper.

For me, it was poor defending as a team to invite them into the final third every time, and thankfully Carlisle were just too poor to create chances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 220 - 253
wuffing
October 3, 2018, 11:23am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 38
Just goes to show what a really good job Keith Curle did at Carlisle.

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 221 - 253
oldun
October 3, 2018, 11:42am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from chaos33

Not for me. I'd take Hoper out.

Sometimes though you just have to persevere, especially with strikers, being in and out of the team does not help. Yes he missed a couple which is disappointing, but if he is not on the pitch he will definately not score. Cut him some slack and let him know he will get the next few games. It is odd though how he can suddenly put one in from 20 yards and then miss one from 5 yards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 222 - 253
ginnywings
October 3, 2018, 12:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from drbell

Interesting how we all see the same game differently. For me we let them get into promising and dangerous positions again and again (10 times? 20?), even allowing them to walk into our box and pass it around on a couple of times. A better side would have made these into chances, which may have been taken. Carlisle crossed behind the goal, mispassed, fell over, and just failed to create anything clear cut. Their only hope was corners which unlike us they kept away from the keeper.

For me, it was poor defending as a team to invite them into the final third every time, and thankfully Carlisle were just too poor to create chances.

But that is the entire point. The clubs at this level don't always punish you, because they are not that good. We could have been out of site in that game had we ourselves punished them with our chances. They are a team higher placed in the league than us, playing at home. Of course they were going to put us under pressure at some point. After all, we are at the bottom end for a reason, and had just lost 6 in a row. The teams that do well in this league are the ones who make the least mistakes, and anyone can beat anyone with a bit of luck and a fair wind.

I think it's very easy, and understandable, to focus on what we did wrong and not on what we did right. Biggest of which was to come home with all the points. You don't have to be great to prosper in this league. you just have to be less bad than most of the others.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 223 - 253
TownSNAFU5
October 3, 2018, 12:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
Apart from "Jolley's rescue-mission" at the end of last season, we were dire the rest of last season and this season.  

It is still less than 24 hours since we were actually 92nd out of 92 teams.  That does not happen by accident.  There were systematic failings at this club before Jolley came.  "A fish rots from the head first."

One swallow does not make a summer but we can hope that last night's crucial win gives a platform to build on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 224 - 253
drbell
October 3, 2018, 1:24pm
Beer Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +269
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from ginnywings

But that is the entire point. The clubs at this level don't always punish you, because they are not that good. We could have been out of site in that game had we ourselves punished them with our chances. They are a team higher placed in the league than us, playing at home. Of course they were going to put us under pressure at some point. After all, we are at the bottom end for a reason, and had just lost 6 in a row. The teams that do well in this league are the ones who make the least mistakes, and anyone can beat anyone with a bit of luck and a fair wind.

I think it's very easy, and understandable, to focus on what we did wrong and not on what we did right. Biggest of which was to come home with all the points. You don't have to be great to prosper in this league. you just have to be less bad than most of the others.

You make a good point. As I originally stated, this is only the second game I have seen. Even accounting for their injuries, I was shocked to see how many points Carlisle have based on that shocking performance against us. They looked totally clueless. That said, I still feel if we regularly defend as we did for the last 15 mins of the game, we will get found out fairly often. However, as I said, I don't think we will if we continue to pick up a few points. I feel it was purely a reflection of our lack of confidence and the value of those 3 points given our predicament. A confident team simply wouldn't play like that. Lets hope thats us from now on (or at least soon).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 225 - 253
lukeo
October 3, 2018, 8:01pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Try not to post when all the doom and gloomers are here in force, I just usually sit back and read a few threads then come off the fishy. Sounds like a good win, we are still near the bottom but even before last night I feel MJ should be given u til Christmas (as stated this is only if we aren't sat in the bottom 2 drifting away from everyone else)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 226 - 253
OAFCWOOWB
October 4, 2018, 12:35pm
Coke Drinker
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: -96
Congrats on finally getting a win. Huge game for us against them on Saturday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 227 - 253
OAFCWOOWB
October 4, 2018, 12:41pm
Coke Drinker
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: -96
143 away fans though? urine poor.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 228 - 253
Grimal
October 4, 2018, 12:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from OAFCWOOWB
143 away fans though? urine poor.

Was you one of the 143 ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 229 - 253
26 Pages Prev ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Carlisle match thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.