Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Carlisle match thread
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 197 Guests

Carlisle match thread

This thread currently has 32,825 views. Print
26 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next All Recommend Thread
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 2, 2018, 10:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from lee65
I know Hooper missed chances, but so did a number of others.  He does do a lot of work down the left which makes us look more solid, and at the moment I think that’s important

It’s evident that Hooper lacks composure when in goal scoring positions and it appears he prefers the half chances from 20 yards a la Forest Green away, Wycombe home etc.

Realise I am a pretty lone voice but I still think he is a good footballer and I would rather he be wide left then Woolford. Would also agree there does seem a weakness in his performances at times but he may be a guy who does not have a great deal of confidence in himself probably not helped by not being a regular choice and not being particularly popular with fans at Vale or town. Would love him to bag a brace on Saturday and accept that the majority of fellow fishies will disagree with my opinion on this.

That’s football fans all the see the game and judge players differently. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 210 - 253
drbell
October 2, 2018, 10:30pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +269
Gold Stars: 14
We would not have got away with that against a decent team. We just gave them the ball, and invited them onto us for 10 minutes, and didn't even defend well. Carlisle were just woeful with the ball in the second half.
That said, I don't think it matters. It's a sign of a lack of confidence, nothing more, and the win is a step towards getting some confidence back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 211 - 253
forza ivano
October 2, 2018, 10:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,170
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from drbell
We would not have got away with that against a decent team. We just gave them the ball, and invited them onto us for 10 minutes, and didn't even defend well. Carlisle were just woeful with the ball in the second half.
That said, I don't think it matters. It's a sign of a lack of confidence, nothing more, and the win is a step towards getting some confidence back.

Stevenage and morecambe aren't decent teams but we managed to lose and let them look good at the same time. This is a huge result, make no mistake
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 212 - 253
drbell
October 2, 2018, 10:54pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +269
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from forza ivano

Stevenage and morecambe aren't decent teams but we managed to lose and let them look good at the same time. This is a huge result, make no mistake

I agree its huge. Wasn't meant as a judgement, just a statement of fact having watched the game as many others didn't. Those listening to the radio seem to have been given the impression Carlisle put us under pressure and we defended well, but we brought the pressure on ourselves and had to rely on Carlisle being woeful in the final third.

We just needed to win anyhow anyway and we have. Now we build confidence and move forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 213 - 253
jock dock tower
October 2, 2018, 11:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Agree with drbell, we gave away possession far too cheaply. We had ten back for every corner so you knew if it was cleared it was going to come straight back. Don't get me wrong, superb defending with the back four throwing themselves into great blocked tackles, but we could have taken so much pressure off ourselves had we left one or two players up. It's  a learning curve though, and this result will hopefully give the players and management the confidence to do things a bit differently. The result was everything though, and all that really mattered.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 214 - 253
adambafc
October 3, 2018, 12:46am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +30
Evening all,
Hope you enjoyed the commentary, apologies for any mistakes in regards names etc i’m normally the BBC Radio Cumbria commentator for Barrow AFC games and was phoned up Thursday last week to ask if i could cover this game. Best of luck for the rest of the season and full credit to the 143 who made the trip, tremendous vocal support
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 215 - 253
Tommy
October 3, 2018, 1:24am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from drbell

Disagree with that bit in bold.

The opposition having the ball doesn't mean we're not defending well.

How many saves did Macca have to make? None that you wouldn't have expected him to make with ease, that's for sure. And nothing from inside the box.

We didn't let them play through us and didn't let them get in behind us in that second half apart from a couple of unfortunate slips from Hendrie.

The only thing I'd say that was a major concern was the number of corners we gave them. Just them having so many opportunities to put the ball into the box full of players could've been costly. But generally defending was fine from what I saw.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 216 - 253
arryarryarry
October 3, 2018, 2:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,044
Gold Stars: 116
Much better performance and lots of effort, could have been 2 or 3 up with some good chances missed in the first half however Carlisle missed some as well especially the free header just before half time.

The energy from both Clifton and Embleton made a difference for me as well as Vernam's running in the first half but he does tend to drift out of the game in the second half.

Not bigging it up too much as in all honesty Carlisle were pretty dreadful at times and neither side created much in the second half.

Jury is still out for me on MJ, Saturday is still a big game for him.
Private Message
Reply: 217 - 253
Mrs Doyle
October 3, 2018, 4:12am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from arryarryarry
Much better performance and lots of effort, could have been 2 or 3 up with some good chances missed in the first half however Carlisle missed some as well especially the free header just before half time.

The energy from both Clifton and Embleton made a difference for me as well as Vernam's running in the first half but he does tend to drift out of the game in the second half.

Not bigging it up too much as in all honesty Carlisle were pretty dreadful at times and neither side created much in the second half.

Jury is still out for me on MJ, Saturday is still a big game for him

Feels like he is on trial I just hope he proves people wrong and gets these monkeys off his back UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 218 - 253
Cloudy
October 3, 2018, 6:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from arryarryarry

The energy from both Clifton and Embleton made a difference for me as well as Vernam's running in the first half  but he does tend to drift out of the game in the second half.

Jury is still out for me on MJ, Saturday is still a big game for him.

100% agree with this
Private Message
Reply: 219 - 253
26 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Carlisle match thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.