9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
denni266
September 23, 2018, 10:00am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 132
If as is being mentioned .. the players are not fully fit , then its no wonder we keep having players break down ,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 88
Bigdog
September 23, 2018, 10:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
If all players are fully match fit I would like to see Jolley play something like this on a regular basis to see if it could gel into a cohesive side. Subs or alternatives in brackets who fit into the system in that position..

3-5-2

GK
McKeown

CB
Davis
Whitmore
Famewo

(Hendrie)

RWB
Hendrie

(RHJ)

LWB
Pringle

(Fox)
(RHJ)

CM
Welsh
Rose
Hessenthaler

(Embleton)
(Clifton)

CF
Thomas
Vernam

(Cook)
(A Rose)

Something like this, uncomplicated and plays to our strengths when looking at the balance of the squad we've got. If any players in brackets interchange with the selected starting eleven, I don't think it would weaken us and maybe give us an extra dimension to our play, whether shutting up shop while leading or pushing for goals if we're behind or drawing. That's my take on what I've seen from every game this season, our strongest players in their rightful positions, and even though we've had the odd injury, MJ has put nothing like this side out yet..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 88
HertsGTFC
September 23, 2018, 10:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
The shape yesterday didn't help Thomas did o.k. at when given the ball but nobody gave him any options in terms of being able to lay it off, the one up front also meant that nobody advanced into channels, we where actually quite easy to play against. Maybe the one up front would have been better complimented by Clifton's energy in a more central position.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 88
toontown
September 23, 2018, 11:38am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Abdul19

Agreed. Thomas and Vernam up front, Embleton wide. Maybe have a shot or 2.

Shame we haven't got a decent left back but hey ho.

Can't see how embleton gets into our best 11
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 88
Northbank Mariner
September 23, 2018, 11:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from toontown

Can't see how embleton gets into our best 11

So, if that's the case, why is he England U20s captain???
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 88
toontown
September 23, 2018, 11:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

So, if that's the case, why is he England U20s captain???

Perhaps he isn't played out wide for them, it certainly didn't suit him against Oldham. Twice he had the ball near the edge of the pitch but proceeded to just run the ball off the pitch as he had no idea what to do under pressure. I recall Sam Kelly doing the exact same thing. It doesn't bode well for me. Maybe he needs time to adjust to league 2 but it was a worrying start as far as I'm concerned.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 88
MuddyWaters
September 23, 2018, 12:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,242
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from toontown

Perhaps he isn't played out wide for them, it certainly didn't suit him against Oldham. Twice he had the ball near the edge of the pitch but proceeded to just run the ball off the pitch as he had no idea what to do under pressure. I recall Sam Kelly doing the exact same thing. It doesn't bode well for me. Maybe he needs time to adjust to league 2 but it was a worrying start as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think it's fair to judge Embleton on one game. It's fairer to judge others, such as Collins, who is becoming a liability, as opposed to Famewo who has done very little wrong.
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 88
Northbank Mariner
September 23, 2018, 12:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from toontown

You make a fair point, but he is one of our better squad players and when you're saying that it doesn't say much about the strength of our squad per se....I also am very, very concerned that MJ is starting to clutch at straws now, as soon as I saw that team announced my blood boiled...
I am no football manager and have zero football qualifications yet anyone with half a footballing brain would have the balls to have dropped Collins, Woolford and started with Famewo and Vernham respectively...
And that's my concern, he already has his favourites, he needs to grow a pair and tell those who are not performing to sit on the bench....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 88
jamesgtfc
September 23, 2018, 10:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
When I heard that Woolford offers athleticism in the middle of the park I spat my cup of coffee out in amazement at what I was hearing.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 88
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team News

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.