cardiffmariner
August 22, 2018, 11:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,314
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from diehardmariner
I think Jolley comes across somewhere on the very thin line between a cool and calm interviewee and someone who's very cold and likely to snap at any point.

Like forza says that's often down to the outcome of the game.  After the Notts County game last season when we had confirmed survival he was at his most candid.  

You can tell he's bored of the repetition of the questions and it wouldn't surprise me if he has a rant at some point.  He's clearly well coached in how to deal with the press, his repeating of the question is a great stalling tactic and he often uses this to avoid actually answering the question.

It's a weird one for me.  I got bored of Hurst's mundane press conferences so then Bignot was a breath of fresh air, but he soon became a farce and embarrassing.  Then Slade started off as a happy medium, he was cautious but confident enough to give enough information away to keep interest.  Of course as soon as the pressure on him increased he became very withdrawn and his final interviews sounded like those of a mad man!  

Jolley knows how to play the game far better than any of his recent predecessors but he doesn't exactly grab my attention or make me want to listen to an interview with him.  One of the benefits of giving interviews is that it's effectively free advertising for the club, Jolley's guarded style doesn't really lend itself to that but I like that he doesn't give it the usual 'yeah we're in the market for this player and this player' stuff that just leads you to having false hopes.  When we do make a signing it's usually a surprise and often a welcome one.  I can only really think of Davis as someone who was touted as a potential signing since Jolley arrived.

Spot on and I’ve no idea why this received so many red crosses. As you say, forza’s initial comments are right on the money - will talk freely when we’ve done well, will divert at length when we don’t.

Don’t have a problem with this, he’s just more on the ball and we’ll trained than most football managers in this area.  But we’re still being played - he just does it rather well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 42
Maringer
August 23, 2018, 6:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
At least he's not like Adkins who just talks and talks and talks...
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 42
Les Brechin
August 23, 2018, 11:08am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,708
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Maringer
At least he's not like Adkins who just talks and talks and talks...

Adkins must be an interviewers dream. You ask him one question and he witters on for about 10 minutes!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 42
Gtfc8279
August 23, 2018, 3:12pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +23
He was actually  Fentys fourth choice. Don’t forget that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 42
ginnywings
August 23, 2018, 3:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Gtfc8279

Football fortune.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 42
Mighty_Mariner
August 23, 2018, 4:09pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Gtfc8279

Phil Brown, John Askey.... Who was the third?

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 42
Posh Harry
August 23, 2018, 4:43pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,359
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Phil Brown, John Askey.... Who was the third?

Wasn’t Stuart McCall talked about initially but stated he wanted a break from football??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 42
Northbank Mariner
August 23, 2018, 4:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Don't forget big Sol.....😂😂😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 42
jamesgtfc
August 23, 2018, 5:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,956
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Don't forget big Sol.....😂😂😂

Sol Campbell spoke at his amazement that, as the greatest mind in football, he wasn't offered the job.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 42
Northbank Mariner
August 23, 2018, 8:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Sol Campbell spoke at his amazement that, as the greatest mind in football, he wasn't offered the job.

Bullet dodged big style there...
MJ has a great way with media, I do think anyone would get sick of hearing the same questions asked at every press conference and he bats it off nicely but at some point he will snap and that clam.demeanour will explode...would love to know if he gets in the players faces and gives them rock all or stays calm and collective whilst giving them a right royal rollockibg, which, in fairness, none of our players would have deserved on recent performances
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Joley  post match

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.