5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
August 22, 2018, 12:38am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
one of his more revealing post match interviews I thought.
I've noticed with mj that if things haven't gone well he talks a lot but says nothing, whereas if he's pleased with the performance he tends to reveal a lot more.
Fgr he refused to admit hed got the selection/ formation wrong ,despite every man and his dog knowing the opposite. Tonight he was quite happy to discuss changes in formation, but still refused to sdmit they'd got caught cold for the equaliser, despite many saying that was the case.
Obviously sees wes Thomas as a massive coup and appears to really want him to be playing from the off asap. The other thing that comes over is his calculated calmness .maybe it's that business background but he seems to be able to elevate himself above the emotion and just rationally and calmly assess situations as if he was a disinterested bystander. 3 examples 1- when was the last time you heard a manager endorse the fact that a ref had sent off one of his players? 2- saw there was a problem early second half and immediately changed formation to deal with the threat from crosses 3- very dispassionate assessment of the season so far I.e. Disappointing first game but since then 3 consistently excellent performances in very trying circumstances

Even more convinced than I ever was that at last fenty may have fluked making an inspired choice
Logged Offline
Private Message
grimps
August 22, 2018, 8:33am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,993
Gold Stars: 46
There’s a difference to not admitting anything in an interview then making the changes the flowing week.
Slade wouldn’t admit anything and wouldn’t make the changes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 42
Mighty_Mariner
August 22, 2018, 9:53am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
It's looking more and more evident that Forest Green was one of those freak results that often gets thrown up on opening day. Since then we have looked excellent in every game I've seen. Adding Thomas and Hendrie will only make us that bit better and I'm sure Michael will have his eye on 1 or 2 more he'd like to bring in before the end of the window.

I do think this has the potential to be a very special season!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 42
Cloudy
August 22, 2018, 10:01am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
We are doing ok at present, hope/believe there is more to come but a slight word of caution- we have played well in parts of the last 3 games, yet have won one and lie 15th.

Long long way to go and i remain hopeful but realistic. We have a largely new squad and management team there will be ups and downs throughout. Expect us to improve on last season and take it from there
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 42
1mickylyons
August 22, 2018, 10:37am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
Back to back draws whilst not amassing loads of points is none the less impressive given the opposition.We are getting better and will get better still.I am encouraged to hear we are creating chances against the supposed better sides and if we continue the reward will come when we play the lesser sides.The only way is UP.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 42
diehardmariner
August 22, 2018, 11:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
I think Jolley comes across somewhere on the very thin line between a cool and calm interviewee and someone who's very cold and likely to snap at any point.

Like forza says that's often down to the outcome of the game.  After the Notts County game last season when we had confirmed survival he was at his most candid.  

You can tell he's bored of the repetition of the questions and it wouldn't surprise me if he has a rant at some point.  He's clearly well coached in how to deal with the press, his repeating of the question is a great stalling tactic and he often uses this to avoid actually answering the question.

It's a weird one for me.  I got bored of Hurst's mundane press conferences so then Bignot was a breath of fresh air, but he soon became a farce and embarrassing.  Then Slade started off as a happy medium, he was cautious but confident enough to give enough information away to keep interest.  Of course as soon as the pressure on him increased he became very withdrawn and his final interviews sounded like those of a mad man!  

Jolley knows how to play the game far better than any of his recent predecessors but he doesn't exactly grab my attention or make me want to listen to an interview with him.  One of the benefits of giving interviews is that it's effectively free advertising for the club, Jolley's guarded style doesn't really lend itself to that but I like that he doesn't give it the usual 'yeah we're in the market for this player and this player' stuff that just leads you to having false hopes.  When we do make a signing it's usually a surprise and often a welcome one.  I can only really think of Davis as someone who was touted as a potential signing since Jolley arrived.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 42
buckstown
August 22, 2018, 11:54am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,120
Gold Stars: 77
I think we have to remember these managers are under massive pressure, and they know the axe is permanently hanging over their heads. Like most of us they are also reluctant to come clean and say they got it wrong, human nature makes us want to give excuses/reasons for failure to deflect from our own shortcomings.
MJ hasn't really been under pressure but I agree there's a serious rant in there if it starts to go belly up. I think JT put him straight on the defensive with the caught cold comment (even though it was probably true)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 42
Jarmo.Is.God
August 22, 2018, 12:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
FGR caught us, and many others by surprise big time.

They won't be struggling this year
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 42
RichMariner
August 22, 2018, 12:38pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
I like the fact that he sounds like a human first, and a football manager second. He's very eloquent and speaks purposefully - there's very little hesitation or repetition.

He's a very measured man, and that probably comes from him actually working a 'normal' life and carving out a successful career for himself before getting into football. Seems to deal with any awkward question very well.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 8 - 42
1mickylyons
August 22, 2018, 12:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
I like the fact he doesn`t go overboard with praise or criticism after games he basically calls what he sees.I have yet to meet him personally but those who have speak very highly of MJ.Me as a fan of GTFC I am expecting good things with him at the helm but realise it might take 18 Months or more.Since he came to this Club I have seen no bleating in the press about injuries or suspensions he just gets on with his job of working with what players he does have and he appears to get them working for him.Just sad that we never got him sooner because he would have probably kept hold of Jones and Osborne still that`s just the way it goes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 42
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Joley  post match

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.