8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Mallyner
August 22, 2018, 7:57am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Im a bit late posting as I got a puncture in my slippers.   A creditable result again against a strongly fancied team and brave back against the wall defending. After the horror show of the Forest Green game the team is now showing promise and if we can start turning chances into goals I think we can do quite well. I cant see a 20 goal player but I can see a good few who can net quite a few, when the rush of blood to the head is controlled.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 78
chicaneuk
August 22, 2018, 8:52am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,486
Gold Stars: 5
Was an enjoyable game to be fair, even though the second half was a bit more of a nail biter after we virtually cruised the first half with little to no threat from MK Dons at all. Went for a leak at half time and chatted to another fan and it sort of seemed like we were both a bit surprised at how strong we'd looked, and how weak they'd looked.. pretty much a "more of the same please!" feeling for both of us.

Second half we both looked like different teams though we did still have a few chances.

Thought Thomas was absolutely superb when he came on.. really strong, focussed, confident - he definitely needs to start on Saturday.

Credit to the travelling fans - they kept the songs and strong support going for virtually the entire game whereas their support sounded non-existant most of the time.

Terrible first game aside, it's keeping me optimistic that we have a good squad in the making here and a really decent manager too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 78
Maringer
August 22, 2018, 9:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Mallyner
I cant see a 20 goal player but I can see a good few who can net quite a few, when the rush of blood to the head is controlled.

Cook has 2 goals from 4 appearances at the moment. No reason he can't keep that up...  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 78
GrimRob
August 22, 2018, 10:10am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
I simply do not know how the ball didn't end up in the net during that mad scramble near the end. It was cleared off the line numerous times.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 33 - 78
Tommy
August 22, 2018, 10:13am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
*(watched on ifollow)*

Decent game to watch I thought. Was really pleasing seeing us look so comfortable 1st half. Good in possession, seemed to pick up any loose balls. Swept up well at the back and Welsh deep in midfield again positioning himself well with his reading of the game.

Built possession well first half. Woolford again involved in a lot and Hessenthaler's ability to keep the ball when under pressure 1v1 (turning away from pressure, running with the ball and using strength to hold players off) is a real asset.

Should've scored more first half, which made it all the more annoying when we concede a goal within a minute of the second half kicking off. I've watched it back several times and the cross is undoubtedly one that Macca should be coming for I'm afraid. Hopefully Sam Russell will be able to work with Macca on this aspect of his game as Warrington obviously wasn't able to. When the header is from 3 yards out, it might as well be an open goal because unless he heads it straight at the keeper, it's so close that the keeper isn't going to have time to react and make a save.

2nd half, for as much as we conceded much more possession than the 1st, I didn't feel there were really many spells when we were pinned in our defensive third and suffering waves of attacks on goal. A couple of scrambles (one crazy one in particular when every red shirt wanted to dive in front of the ball and prevent a goal) and a Macca save when a forward was just about 1v1 with him (was a bit wide and Famewo recovering inside him).

Lots of crosses coming into our box which give situations where you never know what's going to happen, but we defended them comfortably and then changed formation to give us an extra centre back dealing with what, by then, was the only threat to us.

Sending off was a definite sending off IMO. Thought it straight away when it happened and watched it back several times this morning and no doubt it was a red. He dives in straight forward with both feet leaving the floor to dive at the ball. That's the key point the ref's looking at because at that point he's out of control and can't do anything other than land, studs coming down first, at the players legs. Can't see comparisons with their player who slides in too. Watch it back - their lad slides in almost side-on to the ball and his legs come in from beside the ball to kick it with his laces. Totally different challenges and Dixon's was worthy of a red card. What concerned me was that Dixon had 10 yards of running to the ball to think about what he was doing and came up with that? (note otherwise Dixon played alright again).

Hendrie and Thomas gave competent cameos without having too much to do in the time they were on. Hendrie will now be straight in the team as we're thin on the ground for defenders. Thomas will be a couple more weeks I think before being able to start - not the end of the world as Cook's doing well and Vernam looks lively when he comes on.

On reflection it might not end up being a bad point.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 78
RonMariner
August 22, 2018, 10:29am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,688
Gold Stars: 226
First time I have seen them this season and was impressed. At long last we have a midfield that looks the part. Welsh is excellent.

We were well organised, and played some good stuff to feet. Plenty of commitment on show. Overall a very capable performance and we should pick up plenty of points on our travels this season. We will be tough to beat.

I thought we lacked a bit of penetration in the final third but Thomas showed some great touches when he came on. Once he is fully match fit he is going to be quite a handful up front. With the likes of Cook and Vernam to support him, I think we are going to be a real goal threat.

Have to mention Hooper also. Dangerous going forward but also made a couple of good interventions tracking back.

We kept our composure well after the red, and this was a thoroughly deserved point.      
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 78
diehardmariner
August 22, 2018, 11:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,612
Gold Stars: 538
Another impressive display I thought.  

Famewo looks a massive prospect.  Got all the ingredients there but we missed Collins' know-how at times.  Famewo was playing really far over at times in the first half and looked like he wanted to play as the left hand one of a back three.  Second half less so but he had a right game trying to get to grips with Simpson, who was a real game changer.  Definitely enough to be encouraged by with him.  

Red card aside I thought Dixon did ok and Davis is solid at right-back.  We just lack any real quality on the delivery with those two as full-back.  When Hendrie came on he looked a proper wing-back and showed some real intent.

In midfield we have so much energy and so much gusto about us.  Welsh is just peerless at this level, if it's there to be won he wins it.  Even if it's not there to be won, he wins it.  Hessenthaler is looking to be a real coup for us, none stop running but by no means a slouch with the ball either.  Clifton did everything asked of him but before he came off he looked to be struggling a bit, maybe his ankle playing up but served as an important reminder that he's still young and we have to be patient.

Woolford is rolling back the years with his runs, I actually don't think we used him enough last night.  Hooper showed some glimpses of what he can do but that makes the 20 minute spells where he does nothing even more frustrating.  Cook just ran himself into the ground.  Couldn't fault his performance and another goal to boot.  However when Thomas came on it showed just what we need up there at times and what he will offer.  Straight away it just sticks with him.

Absolutely no argument about the red card.   Their goal we were asleep, no two ways about it.  Simpson coming on changed everything but we reacted to it and showed our flexibility in doing so.

Loving the fact that we win nearly all the second balls and the desire for that goal mouth scramble was ace.  Not seen one like for a long, long time.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 78
Mallyner
August 22, 2018, 12:08pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Maringer

Cook has 2 goals from 4 appearances at the moment. No reason he can't keep that up...  

A good reply, let us hope he continues with that form.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 78
Jarmo.Is.God
August 22, 2018, 12:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Would be good timing to sign Koiki this week to slot in nicely at left back
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 78
lew chaterleys lover
August 22, 2018, 12:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Tommy
*(watched on ifollow)*

Decent game to watch I thought. Was really pleasing seeing us look so comfortable 1st half. Good in possession, seemed to pick up any loose balls. Swept up well at the back and Welsh deep in midfield again positioning himself well with his reading of the game.

Built possession well first half. Woolford again involved in a lot and Hessenthaler's ability to keep the ball when under pressure 1v1 (turning away from pressure, running with the ball and using strength to hold players off) is a real asset.

Should've scored more first half, which made it all the more annoying when we concede a goal within a minute of the second half kicking off. I've watched it back several times and the cross is undoubtedly one that Macca should be coming for I'm afraid. Hopefully Sam Russell will be able to work with Macca on this aspect of his game as Warrington obviously wasn't able to. When the header is from 3 yards out, it might as well be an open goal because unless he heads it straight at the keeper, it's so close that the keeper isn't going to have time to react and make a save.

2nd half, for as much as we conceded much more possession than the 1st, I didn't feel there were really many spells when we were pinned in our defensive third and suffering waves of attacks on goal. A couple of scrambles (one crazy one in particular when every red shirt wanted to dive in front of the ball and prevent a goal) and a Macca save when a forward was just about 1v1 with him (was a bit wide and Famewo recovering inside him).

Lots of crosses coming into our box which give situations where you never know what's going to happen, but we defended them comfortably and then changed formation to give us an extra centre back dealing with what, by then, was the only threat to us.

Sending off was a definite sending off IMO. Thought it straight away when it happened and watched it back several times this morning and no doubt it was a red. He dives in straight forward with both feet leaving the floor to dive at the ball. That's the key point the ref's looking at because at that point he's out of control and can't do anything other than land, studs coming down first, at the players legs. Can't see comparisons with their player who slides in too. Watch it back - their lad slides in almost side-on to the ball and his legs come in from beside the ball to kick it with his laces. Totally different challenges and Dixon's was worthy of a red card. What concerned me was that Dixon had 10 yards of running to the ball to think about what he was doing and came up with that? (note otherwise Dixon played alright again).

Hendrie and Thomas gave competent cameos without having too much to do in the time they were on. Hendrie will now be straight in the team as we're thin on the ground for defenders. Thomas will be a couple more weeks I think before being able to start - not the end of the world as Cook's doing well and Vernam looks lively when he comes on.

On reflection it might not end up being a bad point.

Ive watched the sending off back, and all I see is two players going for a loose ball, both with the same intent - to win the ball. Their player launches himself at the ball as well, but as ever in these circumstances one player naturally comes off slightly worse. Neither player was injured and if Dixon had rolled about a bit after impact the ref would probably have called it quits.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 78
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.