grimsby pete
August 21, 2018, 10:13pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
How did Famewo do at center back, liked the look of him on Sat after he settled down

He grew into the game a bit like Saturday,

We missed Collins  wise head but deserved a point for our 1st half display,

We got caught napping start of second half with their 2 subs one of them getting their goal,

Overall a good performance but could do better,

MK are one of the fancied teams like Lincoln so we have nothing to fear,

We will get stronger as the season goes on and will be near the play offs by the end of the season if not better.

Some people saying Dixon's tackle deserved a red but I saw nothing wrong with it just 2 men going for a 50-50 ball.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 78
Mikey_345
August 21, 2018, 10:25pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,384
Gold Stars: 105
Good away point there playing some very good football in the first half. Second half we weren’t anywhere near as good going forward but think that’s more to do with MK Dons than ourselves, they certainly came out to have a gonsecond half. However we again showed our ability to defend against some sustained pressure. A lot of balls in the box but most dealt with quite well ( despite a very nervy period after the break)

We are certainly improving and you can see what Jolleys trying to do, with time and more chance to blend and develop I’m really excited to see what these lads can do (with maybe an addition or two before loan window closes). Taking points off two very well backed sides this year and conceding only two goals in total...

Got to say also I’m very impressed with what I’ve seen of Alex Whitmore. Young lad but tonight seemed very assured and offers a lot from attacking set pieces.

Oh and finally..... all this talk of a 20 goal a season striker, Cook hasn’t started to badly has he! 😆

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 78
sydney
August 21, 2018, 10:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Can I ask if the 610 Mariners was the largest away contingent of all games tonight ?
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 78
lee65
August 21, 2018, 10:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,483
Gold Stars: 10
I thought Famewo was excellent, the Dixon red was such a poor challenge that he had turned and walked halfway to the tunnel before the ref produced a card
Walked back to the car with some decent MK fans who thought we played some really good football

It’s always disappointing to give a lead away, but a good point

We have a Team or committed players for a change, with a fair chunk of ability too

Fans were fantastic as ever away from home
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 78
Poojah
August 21, 2018, 10:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,493
Gold Stars: 1,500
Watched it on the telly tonight. In the last two games Town have come up against not only two of the biggest budgets, not only two of the best sides but also two of the best managers (whether you like Danny Cowley or not) in the league.

If any knee jerk doubts about Jolley’s credentials had crept in after the opening day, that should be enough to have snuffed them out for the time being.

Town looked assured and by far the better side in the first half. We allowed MK no time on the ball on a big pitch and yet seemed to find space in attacking areas ourselves with ease. Deservedly one up at the break.

Tisdale changed it up at half time and although Jolley refuted Tondeur’s suggestion that town were ‘caught cold’, that’s what it looked like to me. My only real criticism so far is that lapses in concentration appear to have already cost us a number of points. That has to, and I think will, be swiftly dealt with.

Their change in formation coupled with a goal straight from the kick-off had us pegged back for a good part of the second half. One thing I like about this manager and the side he’s assembled is both a willingness and ability to switch formation.

A shift to 3-5-2 had us instantly looking more comfortable again until Dixon’s red card, which looked nailed on to me before the referee even reached for his pocket and even more so having seen it again in slow motion. Two footed and out of control - you don’t get away with that in 2018.

We defended resolutely thereafter although how that goalmouth scramble stayed out I have absolutely no idea.

All in all, I feel positive tonight. With key players still to reach full fitness and returning from suspension, plus the prospect of further reinforcements I think we’re in a good place in spite of a modest early league position. Three of our four opponents so far are in the top nine and I fully expect the Forest Green game will be seen as a major anomaly in a few weeks’ time.

Another tough away game to come on Saturday where we need to continue our incremental improvement so far.

UTM!  

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 78
barralad
August 21, 2018, 10:32pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Game of two halves. They couldn't deal with Town's movement up front first half-especially Cook. Famewo slotted in really easily. He has the added bonus that if he makes an error he has the speed to recover. Woolford cartied on whete he left off Saturday with a great assist for the goal Macca wasn't tested in the entire 45. Probably the best 45 minutes of Jolley's tenure so far.
They obviously got an almighty rollicking at half time-made two subs and with 48 seconds on the clock one of them's first touch unmarked was to equalise, as the defence momentarily nodded off. From then on it was pretty much backs to the wall stuff. Fortunately they tended to over hit balls to the back post. The effort though throughout the second period was first class with blocks galore. Vernam came on for Hooper who'd had a decent enough first 45, Hendrie replaced a tiring Clifton and Thomas came on for Cook (and showed some good touches) but the sending off meant that any attacking intent was going to be limited. There was a massive scramble in Town's 6 yard box very late on when somehow the ball didn't end up in Maccas goal and Town saw out four minutes of time added fairly comfortably.
Definitely a sending off.
If Town carry on in this vein some team is going to find themselves three or four down by half time against us..we really are creating that much.
Good away point-I suspect not many will get more than that this season. The Town fans were loud and proud...the FGR game seems like a distant memory.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 78
Rodley Mariner
August 21, 2018, 10:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
It was a definite red. Their guy went in hard but kept his studs down and didn't go over the ball. Dixon totally jumped and as said, he was out of control. Good result and plenty of positives. It feels much better than after FGR at any rate!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 78
Mikey_345
August 21, 2018, 10:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,384
Gold Stars: 105
Yet another top class save by Macca as well at the end which resulted in the scramble.

Great move by town to back Jolley financially to re-sign him in the summer.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 78
arryarryarry
August 21, 2018, 10:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Game should have been won by half time, we were by far the best team.

Two substitutions by MK Dons and some very poor defending let them back into it and then probably lucky to come away with a point
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 78
ginnywings
August 21, 2018, 10:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Raised our game for this local derby, and brought them down to our level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 78
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.