8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Gaffer58
August 21, 2018, 9:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 31
To the sofa, having whatched it on the iPad, is it ok to post this or do you have to have been at the actual game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Balthazar Bullitt
August 21, 2018, 9:58pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
Check with Frazer  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 78
jonnyboy82
August 21, 2018, 10:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Great first half and defended well second , dixon could have had two reds for that as was a shocker.

Overall a really good effort all round to get a point at MK mongs.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 78
sonofmadeleymariner
August 21, 2018, 10:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Gaffer58
To the sofa, having whatched it on the iPad, is it ok to post this or do you have to have been at the actual game.

You've watched the game its fine, cheating but fine

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 78
Kennyh
August 21, 2018, 10:04pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +48
Whilst pleased to get two points from the last 2 games, very disappointed as we could have won both games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 78
TwoLeftFeet
August 21, 2018, 10:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,069
Gold Stars: 18
How did Famewo do at center back, liked the look of him on Sat after he settled down
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 78
sonofmadeleymariner
August 21, 2018, 10:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
How did Famewo do at center back, liked the look of him on Sat after he settled down

He looked alright till they bought Simpson on then he just couldn't deal with the bloke and struggled a bit more with his strength

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 78
MuddyWaters
August 21, 2018, 10:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Great point, but if Mitch Rose's red was questionable then Dixon's was redder than Red Ken.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 78
Mariner93er
August 21, 2018, 10:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,720
Gold Stars: 28
Waiting at the train station now. First half we were the better team and deserved our lead. Second half we were second best, and rode our luck, but the players put their bodies on the line for the cause. MK dons were a decent side I thought, which is testament to our first half performance. It would also have been easy to crumble after conceding so quickly in the second half.

Overall, a good performance, and we've been more than competitive with 2 of the 3 favourites.

On a side not, Dixons challenge was hoorendous. As the guy in front of me said, that's the clearest red card you'll see in a while. Just when he was improving, he goes and does that. Lets hope we sign another defender, because we only had one on the bench today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 78
hheh2
August 21, 2018, 10:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Gaffer58

Sofa? Where did you whatch the game, on the bowl?  

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 78
grimsby pete
August 21, 2018, 10:13pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet

He grew into the game a bit like Saturday,

We missed Collins  wise head but deserved a point for our 1st half display,

We got caught napping start of second half with their 2 subs one of them getting their goal,

Overall a good performance but could do better,

MK are one of the fancied teams like Lincoln so we have nothing to fear,

We will get stronger as the season goes on and will be near the play offs by the end of the season if not better.

Some people saying Dixon's tackle deserved a red but I saw nothing wrong with it just 2 men going for a 50-50 ball.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 78
Mikey_345
August 21, 2018, 10:25pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,308
Gold Stars: 100
Good away point there playing some very good football in the first half. Second half we weren’t anywhere near as good going forward but think that’s more to do with MK Dons than ourselves, they certainly came out to have a gonsecond half. However we again showed our ability to defend against some sustained pressure. A lot of balls in the box but most dealt with quite well ( despite a very nervy period after the break)

We are certainly improving and you can see what Jolleys trying to do, with time and more chance to blend and develop I’m really excited to see what these lads can do (with maybe an addition or two before loan window closes). Taking points off two very well backed sides this year and conceding only two goals in total...

Got to say also I’m very impressed with what I’ve seen of Alex Whitmore. Young lad but tonight seemed very assured and offers a lot from attacking set pieces.

Oh and finally..... all this talk of a 20 goal a season striker, Cook hasn’t started to badly has he! 😆

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 78
sydney
August 21, 2018, 10:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Can I ask if the 610 Mariners was the largest away contingent of all games tonight ?
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 78
lee65
August 21, 2018, 10:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,480
Gold Stars: 10
I thought Famewo was excellent, the Dixon red was such a poor challenge that he had turned and walked halfway to the tunnel before the ref produced a card
Walked back to the car with some decent MK fans who thought we played some really good football

It’s always disappointing to give a lead away, but a good point

We have a Team or committed players for a change, with a fair chunk of ability too

Fans were fantastic as ever away from home
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 78
Poojah
August 21, 2018, 10:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,424
Gold Stars: 1,499
Watched it on the telly tonight. In the last two games Town have come up against not only two of the biggest budgets, not only two of the best sides but also two of the best managers (whether you like Danny Cowley or not) in the league.

If any knee jerk doubts about Jolley’s credentials had crept in after the opening day, that should be enough to have snuffed them out for the time being.

Town looked assured and by far the better side in the first half. We allowed MK no time on the ball on a big pitch and yet seemed to find space in attacking areas ourselves with ease. Deservedly one up at the break.

Tisdale changed it up at half time and although Jolley refuted Tondeur’s suggestion that town were ‘caught cold’, that’s what it looked like to me. My only real criticism so far is that lapses in concentration appear to have already cost us a number of points. That has to, and I think will, be swiftly dealt with.

Their change in formation coupled with a goal straight from the kick-off had us pegged back for a good part of the second half. One thing I like about this manager and the side he’s assembled is both a willingness and ability to switch formation.

A shift to 3-5-2 had us instantly looking more comfortable again until Dixon’s red card, which looked nailed on to me before the referee even reached for his pocket and even more so having seen it again in slow motion. Two footed and out of control - you don’t get away with that in 2018.

We defended resolutely thereafter although how that goalmouth scramble stayed out I have absolutely no idea.

All in all, I feel positive tonight. With key players still to reach full fitness and returning from suspension, plus the prospect of further reinforcements I think we’re in a good place in spite of a modest early league position. Three of our four opponents so far are in the top nine and I fully expect the Forest Green game will be seen as a major anomaly in a few weeks’ time.

Another tough away game to come on Saturday where we need to continue our incremental improvement so far.

UTM!  

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 78
barralad
August 21, 2018, 10:32pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
Game of two halves. They couldn't deal with Town's movement up front first half-especially Cook. Famewo slotted in really easily. He has the added bonus that if he makes an error he has the speed to recover. Woolford cartied on whete he left off Saturday with a great assist for the goal Macca wasn't tested in the entire 45. Probably the best 45 minutes of Jolley's tenure so far.
They obviously got an almighty rollicking at half time-made two subs and with 48 seconds on the clock one of them's first touch unmarked was to equalise, as the defence momentarily nodded off. From then on it was pretty much backs to the wall stuff. Fortunately they tended to over hit balls to the back post. The effort though throughout the second period was first class with blocks galore. Vernam came on for Hooper who'd had a decent enough first 45, Hendrie replaced a tiring Clifton and Thomas came on for Cook (and showed some good touches) but the sending off meant that any attacking intent was going to be limited. There was a massive scramble in Town's 6 yard box very late on when somehow the ball didn't end up in Maccas goal and Town saw out four minutes of time added fairly comfortably.
Definitely a sending off.
If Town carry on in this vein some team is going to find themselves three or four down by half time against us..we really are creating that much.
Good away point-I suspect not many will get more than that this season. The Town fans were loud and proud...the FGR game seems like a distant memory.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 78
Rodley Mariner
August 21, 2018, 10:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
It was a definite red. Their guy went in hard but kept his studs down and didn't go over the ball. Dixon totally jumped and as said, he was out of control. Good result and plenty of positives. It feels much better than after FGR at any rate!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 78
Mikey_345
August 21, 2018, 10:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,308
Gold Stars: 100
Yet another top class save by Macca as well at the end which resulted in the scramble.

Great move by town to back Jolley financially to re-sign him in the summer.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 78
arryarryarry
August 21, 2018, 10:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Game should have been won by half time, we were by far the best team.

Two substitutions by MK Dons and some very poor defending let them back into it and then probably lucky to come away with a point
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 78
ginnywings
August 21, 2018, 10:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Raised our game for this local derby, and brought them down to our level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 78
lew chaterleys lover
August 21, 2018, 10:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
It was a definite red. Their guy went in hard but kept his studs down and didn't go over the ball. Dixon totally jumped and as said, he was out of control. Good result and plenty of positives. It feels much better than after FGR at any rate!

I honestly cannot see any difference in the way both players are running a long way to try to get to a loose ball first. Dixon gets there fractionally earlier than their chap and the force of the tackle sends him spinning to the ground making it look way worse than it was. Had the their player got there first it would have been Dixon who was sent spinning. It just seemed two players going in equally hard for a loose ball to me.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 78
Rodley Mariner
August 21, 2018, 11:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Watch it again. Their guy goes side on, feet pointed down. Way less dangerous than the way Dixon jumped with two feet together.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 78
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
August 21, 2018, 11:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Can we gush a bit about john welsh and jake hessenthaler? Im so impressed with them in midfield, both seem to embody everything an average grimsby town fan looks for in an ideal player/midfielder. Both incredibly hard working, great tacklers, absolute warriors, technically very good, seem to have a really good partnership and positional awareness of each other. Its early days but wow, these two are just making town a great team to watch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 78
lew chaterleys lover
August 21, 2018, 11:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Watch it again. Their guy goes side on, feet pointed down. Way less dangerous than the way Dixon jumped with two feet together.

If you watch it in slow motion their guy is also sliding in "out of control" but gets there a split second later than Dixon. Both players were reaching for the loose ball at speed, and in all such cases one comes off worst, but it doesn't mean it is a sending off every time.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 78
Mariner93er
August 21, 2018, 11:25pm
Cocktail Drinker
Hessenthalers the signing I've been most impressed with so far. He does all the dirty work plus can pass and run with the ball. Its such a shame whitehouse got injured as we could really do with another attacking minded player in there alongside hessenthaler and welsh. Thats not to say cliftons not playing well, but he's still clearly developing and got a long way to go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 78
buckstown
August 21, 2018, 11:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,171
Gold Stars: 79
Well that's the first time I've seen town this season and have to say I was very impressed with the attitude, fighting spirit and overall performance. Bear in mind one of these teams was the title favourite and one was a 40-1 shot it wasn't that easy to split them
Thought the defence was excellent (barring that minute when they looked to have still been in the dressing room) and in Famewo and Whitmore we have a great pairing.
Liked Welsh a lot but overall I thought they all played well. Looked like a red card to me.
This side is so much better than last year and I walked out buzzing about the season. If we continue to play with that much character we will be in the top half as a minimum, especially if we can start putting chances away.
Proud to be  mariner tonight. I took my Spurs supporting mate and he was gobsmacked by the town support on a Tuesday night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 78
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
August 21, 2018, 11:38pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from buckstown

Thought the defence was excellent (barring that minute when they looked to have still been in the dressing room) and in Famewo and Whitmore we have a great pairing.

Famewos got a massive future surely bearing in mind he’s 19 and that was his 8th league game, ever
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 78
buckstown
August 21, 2018, 11:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Agree, Famewo looked very mature and confident. Mind you, he needs to be good wearing yellow boots in league 2!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 78
fiveallive
August 22, 2018, 12:34am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
Grimsby where excellent 1st half from what I seen hooking laptop up to TV, Woolford been excellent showing his class, helps him having Hessenthaler or Clifton someone to help with the running.

We press teams in the 1st half we tired in the 2nd half, Simpson had a crazy 15 min where we couldn't get near him.

We was asleep 2nd half when they scored I don't think where miles behind MK Don's as they are one of the favourites to go up.

Dixon deserved to be sent off don't know what Tondeaur was watching saying it wasn't a red, Dixon has impressed me to be fair this season.

And a well done to the 600 who travelled up to Milton Keynes, there fans are trash where very quiet  didn't seem to hardly sing all game.

Maybe have to try and get Ali Koiki on a month loan now to see us through.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 78
fiveallive
August 22, 2018, 12:42am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Also not town news but Notts County must hate Jamille Matt scored a late winner for us and scored a 95th min winner for Newport.

We have to keep him Amond and Marsh-Brown quiet on Saturday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 78
Mallyner
August 22, 2018, 7:57am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Approval: +2,507
Gold Stars: 23
Im a bit late posting as I got a puncture in my slippers.   A creditable result again against a strongly fancied team and brave back against the wall defending. After the horror show of the Forest Green game the team is now showing promise and if we can start turning chances into goals I think we can do quite well. I cant see a 20 goal player but I can see a good few who can net quite a few, when the rush of blood to the head is controlled.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 78
chicaneuk
August 22, 2018, 8:52am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,467
Was an enjoyable game to be fair, even though the second half was a bit more of a nail biter after we virtually cruised the first half with little to no threat from MK Dons at all. Went for a leak at half time and chatted to another fan and it sort of seemed like we were both a bit surprised at how strong we'd looked, and how weak they'd looked.. pretty much a "more of the same please!" feeling for both of us.

Second half we both looked like different teams though we did still have a few chances.

Thought Thomas was absolutely superb when he came on.. really strong, focussed, confident - he definitely needs to start on Saturday.

Credit to the travelling fans - they kept the songs and strong support going for virtually the entire game whereas their support sounded non-existant most of the time.

Terrible first game aside, it's keeping me optimistic that we have a good squad in the making here and a really decent manager too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 78
Maringer
August 22, 2018, 9:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,405
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from Mallyner
I cant see a 20 goal player but I can see a good few who can net quite a few, when the rush of blood to the head is controlled.

Cook has 2 goals from 4 appearances at the moment. No reason he can't keep that up...  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 78
GrimRob
August 22, 2018, 10:10am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
I simply do not know how the ball didn't end up in the net during that mad scramble near the end. It was cleared off the line numerous times.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 33 - 78
Tommy
August 22, 2018, 10:13am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
*(watched on ifollow)*

Decent game to watch I thought. Was really pleasing seeing us look so comfortable 1st half. Good in possession, seemed to pick up any loose balls. Swept up well at the back and Welsh deep in midfield again positioning himself well with his reading of the game.

Built possession well first half. Woolford again involved in a lot and Hessenthaler's ability to keep the ball when under pressure 1v1 (turning away from pressure, running with the ball and using strength to hold players off) is a real asset.

Should've scored more first half, which made it all the more annoying when we concede a goal within a minute of the second half kicking off. I've watched it back several times and the cross is undoubtedly one that Macca should be coming for I'm afraid. Hopefully Sam Russell will be able to work with Macca on this aspect of his game as Warrington obviously wasn't able to. When the header is from 3 yards out, it might as well be an open goal because unless he heads it straight at the keeper, it's so close that the keeper isn't going to have time to react and make a save.

2nd half, for as much as we conceded much more possession than the 1st, I didn't feel there were really many spells when we were pinned in our defensive third and suffering waves of attacks on goal. A couple of scrambles (one crazy one in particular when every red shirt wanted to dive in front of the ball and prevent a goal) and a Macca save when a forward was just about 1v1 with him (was a bit wide and Famewo recovering inside him).

Lots of crosses coming into our box which give situations where you never know what's going to happen, but we defended them comfortably and then changed formation to give us an extra centre back dealing with what, by then, was the only threat to us.

Sending off was a definite sending off IMO. Thought it straight away when it happened and watched it back several times this morning and no doubt it was a red. He dives in straight forward with both feet leaving the floor to dive at the ball. That's the key point the ref's looking at because at that point he's out of control and can't do anything other than land, studs coming down first, at the players legs. Can't see comparisons with their player who slides in too. Watch it back - their lad slides in almost side-on to the ball and his legs come in from beside the ball to kick it with his laces. Totally different challenges and Dixon's was worthy of a red card. What concerned me was that Dixon had 10 yards of running to the ball to think about what he was doing and came up with that? (note otherwise Dixon played alright again).

Hendrie and Thomas gave competent cameos without having too much to do in the time they were on. Hendrie will now be straight in the team as we're thin on the ground for defenders. Thomas will be a couple more weeks I think before being able to start - not the end of the world as Cook's doing well and Vernam looks lively when he comes on.

On reflection it might not end up being a bad point.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 78
RonMariner
August 22, 2018, 10:29am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,539
Gold Stars: 224
First time I have seen them this season and was impressed. At long last we have a midfield that looks the part. Welsh is excellent.

We were well organised, and played some good stuff to feet. Plenty of commitment on show. Overall a very capable performance and we should pick up plenty of points on our travels this season. We will be tough to beat.

I thought we lacked a bit of penetration in the final third but Thomas showed some great touches when he came on. Once he is fully match fit he is going to be quite a handful up front. With the likes of Cook and Vernam to support him, I think we are going to be a real goal threat.

Have to mention Hooper also. Dangerous going forward but also made a couple of good interventions tracking back.

We kept our composure well after the red, and this was a thoroughly deserved point.      
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 78
diehardmariner
August 22, 2018, 11:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,406
Gold Stars: 532
Another impressive display I thought.  

Famewo looks a massive prospect.  Got all the ingredients there but we missed Collins' know-how at times.  Famewo was playing really far over at times in the first half and looked like he wanted to play as the left hand one of a back three.  Second half less so but he had a right game trying to get to grips with Simpson, who was a real game changer.  Definitely enough to be encouraged by with him.  

Red card aside I thought Dixon did ok and Davis is solid at right-back.  We just lack any real quality on the delivery with those two as full-back.  When Hendrie came on he looked a proper wing-back and showed some real intent.

In midfield we have so much energy and so much gusto about us.  Welsh is just peerless at this level, if it's there to be won he wins it.  Even if it's not there to be won, he wins it.  Hessenthaler is looking to be a real coup for us, none stop running but by no means a slouch with the ball either.  Clifton did everything asked of him but before he came off he looked to be struggling a bit, maybe his ankle playing up but served as an important reminder that he's still young and we have to be patient.

Woolford is rolling back the years with his runs, I actually don't think we used him enough last night.  Hooper showed some glimpses of what he can do but that makes the 20 minute spells where he does nothing even more frustrating.  Cook just ran himself into the ground.  Couldn't fault his performance and another goal to boot.  However when Thomas came on it showed just what we need up there at times and what he will offer.  Straight away it just sticks with him.

Absolutely no argument about the red card.   Their goal we were asleep, no two ways about it.  Simpson coming on changed everything but we reacted to it and showed our flexibility in doing so.

Loving the fact that we win nearly all the second balls and the desire for that goal mouth scramble was ace.  Not seen one like for a long, long time.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 78
Mallyner
August 22, 2018, 12:08pm
Cocktail Drinker
Approval: +2,507
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Maringer

Cook has 2 goals from 4 appearances at the moment. No reason he can't keep that up...  

A good reply, let us hope he continues with that form.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 78
Jarmo.Is.God
August 22, 2018, 12:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Would be good timing to sign Koiki this week to slot in nicely at left back
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 78
lew chaterleys lover
August 22, 2018, 12:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Tommy
*(watched on ifollow)*

Decent game to watch I thought. Was really pleasing seeing us look so comfortable 1st half. Good in possession, seemed to pick up any loose balls. Swept up well at the back and Welsh deep in midfield again positioning himself well with his reading of the game.

Built possession well first half. Woolford again involved in a lot and Hessenthaler's ability to keep the ball when under pressure 1v1 (turning away from pressure, running with the ball and using strength to hold players off) is a real asset.

Should've scored more first half, which made it all the more annoying when we concede a goal within a minute of the second half kicking off. I've watched it back several times and the cross is undoubtedly one that Macca should be coming for I'm afraid. Hopefully Sam Russell will be able to work with Macca on this aspect of his game as Warrington obviously wasn't able to. When the header is from 3 yards out, it might as well be an open goal because unless he heads it straight at the keeper, it's so close that the keeper isn't going to have time to react and make a save.

2nd half, for as much as we conceded much more possession than the 1st, I didn't feel there were really many spells when we were pinned in our defensive third and suffering waves of attacks on goal. A couple of scrambles (one crazy one in particular when every red shirt wanted to dive in front of the ball and prevent a goal) and a Macca save when a forward was just about 1v1 with him (was a bit wide and Famewo recovering inside him).

Lots of crosses coming into our box which give situations where you never know what's going to happen, but we defended them comfortably and then changed formation to give us an extra centre back dealing with what, by then, was the only threat to us.

Sending off was a definite sending off IMO. Thought it straight away when it happened and watched it back several times this morning and no doubt it was a red. He dives in straight forward with both feet leaving the floor to dive at the ball. That's the key point the ref's looking at because at that point he's out of control and can't do anything other than land, studs coming down first, at the players legs. Can't see comparisons with their player who slides in too. Watch it back - their lad slides in almost side-on to the ball and his legs come in from beside the ball to kick it with his laces. Totally different challenges and Dixon's was worthy of a red card. What concerned me was that Dixon had 10 yards of running to the ball to think about what he was doing and came up with that? (note otherwise Dixon played alright again).

Hendrie and Thomas gave competent cameos without having too much to do in the time they were on. Hendrie will now be straight in the team as we're thin on the ground for defenders. Thomas will be a couple more weeks I think before being able to start - not the end of the world as Cook's doing well and Vernam looks lively when he comes on.

On reflection it might not end up being a bad point.

Ive watched the sending off back, and all I see is two players going for a loose ball, both with the same intent - to win the ball. Their player launches himself at the ball as well, but as ever in these circumstances one player naturally comes off slightly worse. Neither player was injured and if Dixon had rolled about a bit after impact the ref would probably have called it quits.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 78
Les Brechin
August 22, 2018, 12:55pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from sydney
Can I ask if the 610 Mariners was the largest away contingent of all games tonight ?
Come on Town!!

Comfortably...

241 Exeter at Cambridge
175 Vale at Carlisle
157 Crewe at Colchester (who are all being refunded their ticket cost by the team)
439 Swindon at Crawley
102 Stevenage at FGR
190 Bury at Lincoln
117 Cheltenham at Macc
230 Northampton at Morecambe
185 Notts Co at Newport
287 Mansfield at Tranmere
262 Oldham at Yeovil.

So, only Swindon at Crawley got anywhere near.

Fantastic support again. A few games last night had less travelling for fans too.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 78
KingstonMariner
August 22, 2018, 1:02pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Les Brechin

Comfortably...

241 Exeter at Cambridge
175 Vale at Carlisle
157 Crewe at Colchester (who are all being refunded their ticket cost by the team)
439 Swindon at Crawley
102 Stevenage at FGR
190 Bury at Lincoln
117 Cheltenham at Macc
230 Northampton at Morecambe
185 Notts Co at Newport
287 Mansfield at Tranmere
262 Oldham at Yeovil.

So, only Swindon at Crawley got anywhere near.

Fantastic support again. A few games last night had less travelling for fans too.

Great support but I'm not proud of the numbers on this occasion.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 78
barralad
August 22, 2018, 1:09pm
Mariners Trust

Ive watched the sending off back, and all I see is two players going for a loose ball, both with the same intent - to win the ball. Their player launches himself at the ball as well, but as ever in these circumstances one player naturally comes off slightly worse. Neither player was injured and if Dixon had rolled about a bit after impact the ref would probably have called it quits.

Personally I still think it was a sending off but I cannot help thinking that had the tackle been made by just about any other Town player there would have been more support than Dixon has received from the fans. I've seen him called an idiot and far worse on social media since last night with one "hilarious" comment claiming that Town will be appealing the decision on the grounds the three match ban is too lenient. Dixon has his limitations-like all players at this level but his performances so far do not deserve the criticism he is still attracting. Had he pulled out of that tackle he might a. Have got himself injured and b. Got loads of stick for being a wimp. Seems like in some quarters this season's scapegoat has already been picked.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 78
RoboCod
August 22, 2018, 1:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from barralad

Personally I still think it was a sending off but I cannot help thinking that had the tackle been made by just about any other Town player there would have been more support than Dixon has received from the fans. I've seen him called an idiot and far worse on social media since last night with one "hilarious" comment claiming that Town will be appealing the decision on the grounds the three match ban is too lenient. Dixon has his limitations-like all players at this level but his performances so far do not deserve the criticism he is still attracting. Had he pulled out of that tackle he might a. Have got himself injured and b. Got loads of stick for being a wimp. Seems like in some quarters this season's scapegoat has already been picked.

I just think those fans are settling in to the fact that we have a nicely balanced squad, and will improve, which slightly panics them as they need their scapegoat. Nothing much on the board to help choose one thus far, why not go back to last seasons displays and make one

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 78
Cloudy
August 22, 2018, 1:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Hooper seems to be running him close in the minds of some
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 78
ginnywings
August 22, 2018, 1:31pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Cloudy
Hooper seems to be running him close in the minds of some

It switched to him when Dixon was out of the side. Some must have a scapegoat to vent their spleen upon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 78
lew chaterleys lover
August 22, 2018, 1:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from barralad

I think that is part of it to be fair - had it been say Welsh I think more people would have been supportive. What was Dixon supposed to do? It was the archetypal 50/50 ball and he won the won the race by a split second and the collision sent both players tumbling to the floor. Of course the MK player immediately clutches his shin as two players coming together like that would create considerable force on impact.

Both players have my respect for contesting the 50/50 but there was no intent from either player other than to win the ball.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 78
Hagrid
August 22, 2018, 1:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,388
Gold Stars: 527
i dont know what its like at other clubs but our fans seem to always have to have someone to vent anger at, going back a few years it was derek niven  and it was only when he was injured the idiots realised what he did for us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 78
mariner91
August 22, 2018, 1:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,577
Gold Stars: 260
If you go in straight on with both of your feet off the ground, you are not in control and it's a clear red card. It's not a difficult concept to grasp.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 78
buckstown
August 22, 2018, 2:05pm
Champagne Drinker
I think Dixon may have escaped with yellow at home
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 78
lew chaterleys lover
August 22, 2018, 2:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from mariner91
If you go in straight on with both of your feet off the ground, you are not in control and it's a clear red card. It's not a difficult concept to grasp.

Both players should have been sent off then - the Dons player is certainly not in control either as he lunges for the ball.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 78
mariner91
August 22, 2018, 2:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,577
Gold Stars: 260

Both players should have been sent off then - the Dons player is certainly not in control either as he lunges for the ball.

No. Their player has come in at an angle, he's gone in with one of his feet, studs not showing and only one foot is only slightly off the ground.

Dixon has come in straight on, both feet clearly off the ground, studs showing and both feet going at the ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 78
horsforthmariner
August 22, 2018, 2:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,589
Gold Stars: 9
It was an awful tackle and it definitely deserved a straight red. Much worse than Mitch's. He didn't even need to make the challenge. However I did like his nonchalance afterwards pretending as if nothing had happened.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 78
mimma
August 22, 2018, 2:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 78
Maybe if Dixon had rolled around like their player did the ref might have seen it more as 50/50 and not sent him off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 78
lew chaterleys lover
August 22, 2018, 3:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from horsforthmariner
It was an awful tackle and it definitely deserved a straight red. Much worse than Mitch's. He didn't even need to make the challenge. However I did like his nonchalance afterwards pretending as if nothing had happened.  

What do you mean he didn't need to make the tackle? It was a 50/50 ball and he would be slaughtered had he not gone for it.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 78
lew chaterleys lover
August 22, 2018, 3:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from mimma
Maybe if Dixon had rolled around like their player did the ref might have seen it more as 50/50 and not sent him off.

Exactly. Dixon was basically penalised for being a bit stronger in the challenge.  
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 78
Grantley
August 22, 2018, 3:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
So if you go in with both feet off the floor and studs up, it’s not dangerous?

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 78
sam gy
August 22, 2018, 3:20pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,416
Gold Stars: 53
If it was any player other than Dixon, would everyone be so quick to jump on the players back?

It's a game of football, sometimes wreckless challenges happen and players are penalised accordingly. He made a mistake. Move on, back the player when he comes back from suspension.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 78
Maringer
August 22, 2018, 3:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,405
Gold Stars: 184

Exactly. Dixon was basically penalised for being a bit stronger in the challenge.  

More probably penalised for being a bit slower to the ball. I reckon the attacking player will more generally get the benefit of the doubt in this sort of situation. No doubt that Dixon 'jumped' into it a bit as well and I don't think we can really complain about the red card. Another one which was all a bit unnecessary when you see whereabouts it was on the pitch.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 78
tanga_the_indestructible
August 22, 2018, 4:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Approval: +613
Quoted from mariner91

No. Their player has come in at an angle, he's gone in with one of his feet, studs not showing and only one foot is only slightly off the ground.

Dixon has come in straight on, both feet clearly off the ground, studs showing and both feet going at the ball.

I was sat in the press box last night just where the tackle happened. I had a perfect view of it. He went in with two feet, so it was a red. However to be fair to Dixon, his studs were not showing and he actually seemed to have both feet deliberately facing down as he got the ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 78
louth_in_the_south
August 22, 2018, 5:09pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,654
Gold Stars: 94
Blatant red it couldn’t snapped both the mk players legs if it had properly connected. Dixon is a weak link in the team , no disrespect if you’re reading this dicko, but we need a younger more athletic player to fit in this new system. Decent back up player tho and can be used at CB if required so if was jolley I wouldn’t bin him .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 78
grimsby pete
August 22, 2018, 5:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
The game has gone soft,

How many tackles did dirty Leeds players make that were far worse than that and not even get a yellow card.

Our Duncan Welbourne made loads of tackles like that without being sent off.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 78
marinernige
August 22, 2018, 5:59pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +578
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Great support but I'm not proud of the numbers on this occasion.

You might not be proud , but the manager and players appreciated our support , I for one was very proud to be a mariner last night. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 78
LondonMariner43
August 22, 2018, 6:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,935
Gold Stars: 64
One of the sad things about Town fans (maybe all fans) is that we have to have a boo boy who gets stick ahead of the rest of the team.

Last season was a bit different because nearly the whole squad played badly under Slade but this season has shown how a good manager can make all the difference to how a player does.

After the Macclesfield and Lincoln games, Dixon was getting a fair bit of praise on here but because of a rash challenge he’s now being singled out as not good enough.

MJ seems a good judge of a player and also at getting the best out of them.  If he keeps a player in the squad, let’s support the whole squad.  Sure we should say which players do well or badly on the day but the level at which Dixon gets slagged off on here and Twitter seems excessive and isn’t going to help him, the manager or the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 78
MuddyWaters
August 22, 2018, 7:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from LondonMariner43
One of the sad things about Town fans (maybe all fans) is that we have to have a boo boy who gets stick ahead of the rest of the team.

Last season was a bit different because nearly the whole squad played badly under Slade but this season has shown how a good manager can make all the difference to how a player does.

After the Macclesfield and Lincoln games, Dixon was getting a fair bit of praise on here but because of a rash challenge he’s now being singled out as not good enough.

MJ seems a good judge of a player and also at getting the best out of them.  If he keeps a player in the squad, let’s support the whole squad.  Sure we should say which players do well or badly on the day but the level at which Dixon gets slagged off on here and Twitter seems excessive and isn’t going to help him, the manager or the team.

Paul Dixon is a 'steady Eddie' who will be too steady for some. Add the fact that, at the time, he appears to have been a 'desperation' Slade signing, then some cynicism is understandable. One thing is for sure, if that challenge had been by John Welsh, Jake Hess or Paul Dixon, it was a red all day long - even the manager admitted it.
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 78
Mrs Doyle
August 23, 2018, 4:24am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Great result in the end with some heroic defending in the second half. Two bad things let us down we were caught napping start of the second half allowing a free header INSIDE the six-yard box. Who was the defender who let the ball sail over his head and another behind the goal scorer?  Then, of course, Dixon who walked off straight away with a gesture to the ref he knew he was gone. Looking at it again he looked favourite to win that ball but a lack of pace against a speedier player meant he had to commit or chicken out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 78
Rik e B
August 23, 2018, 8:14am

Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Quoted from sam gy
If it was any player other than Dixon, would everyone be so quick to jump on the players back?

I don't see too much jumping on the player's back (can't speak for social media only here) -plenty have openly admitted he's by and large been surprisingly impressive this Season and simply put if it's a red it's a red. I think people are just stating that fact.

Jolley said straight up it was a red and the player himself walked straight off the pitch without even waiting for the ref so I think that tells us what we need to know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 78
barralad
August 23, 2018, 9:04am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Blatant red it couldn’t snapped both the mk players legs if it had properly connected. Dixon is a weak link in the team , no disrespect if you’re reading this dicko, but we need a younger more athletic player to fit in this new system. Decent back up player tho and can be used at CB if required so if was jolley I wouldn’t bin him .

Perhaps it didn't "snap the MK players legs" because he wasn't as reckless as has been claimed. Tanga (who had a better view than anyone in the Town end) says his studs were pointed down.
He might not be the quickest but he got there before their lad!

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 78
Rodley Mariner
August 23, 2018, 9:12am
Special Brew Drinker
I'll chuck in that I've not been on Dixon's back at all. Though I have concerns about him at wing back I think he's a perfectly capable left back. I commented after the FGR game how disappointing it was the abuse he got from the off and I always support anybody our manager picks whilst they're on the pitch.

It really was a definite red card though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 78
lew chaterleys lover
August 23, 2018, 11:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Perhaps it didn't "snap the MK players legs" because he wasn't as reckless as has been claimed. Tanga (who had a better view than anyone in the Town end) says his studs were pointed down.
He might not be the quickest but he got there before their lad!

What hasn't been taken into consideration enough is that both players ran full pelt for a loose ball; that meant there would be a collision and inevitably one player would feel it more on impact.

In the slow motion video both players lunge at the last minute to try to get to the ball first. Had Dixon clutched his shins and rolled around a bit both players would probably have got yellows.  
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 78
moosey_club
August 23, 2018, 12:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,202
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from ginnywings

It switched to him when Dixon was out of the side. Some must have a scapegoat to vent their spleen upon.

i thought ITV Digital were the officially appointed club scapegoat  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 78
Northbank Mariner
August 23, 2018, 12:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
What got me was Dixon's reaction, it was either

A) ah p!ss off ref, you got that wrong or
B) I don't give a sh!t because I'll be dropped for the next few games now mitch is available...

Personally I think it was 2 fingers to the ref, in fairness Dixon has put sone half decent performances in under Jolleys tenure so far..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 78
Mariner93er
August 23, 2018, 12:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
How would mitch being available possibly effect dixons starting place?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 78
The_Laughing_Mariner
August 23, 2018, 1:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
Don't think Mitch is available for Newport is he?

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 78
Abdul19
August 23, 2018, 1:40pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,514
Gold Stars: 215
Should be - missed Rochdale, Lincoln and MK

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 78
LH
August 23, 2018, 1:42pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,461
Gold Stars: 172
Aren’t suspensions comp specific now?
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 78
Abdul19
August 23, 2018, 2:02pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,514
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from LH

Oh, maybe, I dunno. I assumed the Rochdale game counted as he wasn't in the 18.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 78
rancido
August 23, 2018, 2:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Great result in the end with some heroic defending in the second half. Two bad things let us down we were caught napping start of the second half allowing a free header INSIDE the six-yard box. Who was the defender who let the ball sail over his head and another behind the goal scorer? Then, of course, Dixon who walked off straight away with a gesture to the ref he knew he was gone. Looking at it again he looked favourite to win that ball but a lack of pace against a speedier player meant he had to commit or chicken out.

I think a more relevant point is why didn't Macca get the ball. When it comes to high balls in the six yard area then the goalkeeper must challenge for them. As much as I think Macca has been a good goalkeeper for us, I have always maintained that he is weak in the air. As a consequence we will always be susceptible to conceding those kind of goals while he is between the sticks.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 78
Les Brechin
August 23, 2018, 2:16pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from LH

It's just yellow cards and respective suspension that are competition specific this season. Red cards remain for all competitions.

Quoted Text

New rules have been brought in this season which mean changes across many areas including the yellow and red card system.

In the past, yellow cards picked up in the Premier League, football leagues, FA Cup or Carabao Cup would be added up together.

This meant that five yellow cards across all competitions would result in a player missing one match - in whichever competition they should have been playing in next.

However, the changes this season will see yellow cards only counting in the competition they are received.

Red cards will continue to count across all competitions.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 78
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.