Fishy back to its shameful best

This thread currently has 7,327 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Jimbob
August 6, 2018, 9:32pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +2
Jolley must think he was capable of playing wingback otherwise he would not risk him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 54
carrot top
August 7, 2018, 12:23pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 2
Clifton was annonymous at best but then again so were others.

The hoofball was very hard to watch. It seems that when we have the ball we are quickly closed down so we just end up knocking it long in hope. Very poor

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 54
Tommy
August 7, 2018, 1:18pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from carrot top
Clifton was annonymous at best but then again so were others.

The hoofball was very hard to watch. It seems that when we have the ball we are quickly closed down so we just end up knocking it long in hope. Very poor

The bit i've highlighted is why it's pretty pointless taking much notice of pre-season friendlies. As you can knock the ball about and look good in possession in friendlies when the opposition aren't going to play with much intensity and press you quickly, but it's a different thing entirely doing it when you're put under pressure.

It's arguably what separates good players from the rest, is having the awareness and pictures of what's around you early enough, and the confidence, composure & concentration to still play (be it a pass/dribble etc) when under pressure.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 54
moosey_club
August 7, 2018, 2:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Tommy

It's arguably what separates good players from the rest, is having the awareness and pictures of what's around you early enough, and the confidence, composure & concentration to still play (be it a pass/dribble etc) when under pressure.

Majority of the time on Saturday regardless of which of our players was in possession they had nobody making themselves open for a forward pass. The back three played passes sidewards between themselves, back to Macca or lumped forward due to lack of options.
Yes ability of the player plays a part in how happy they are in possession and how they deal with being pressured by the opposition but having options is fundamental.  
Collins, Davis, Whitmore, Welsh, Dixon, Woolford dont have the comfort of pace to escape a tricky situation so that doesn't help either.....for the RHJ c0ck up ...as a right footer playing left back his natural tendency was to use that foot the way he was facing, that meant a pass back to Macca, any left footed player would have peeled away to the left side with their first touch to create room to work with up the touchline.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 54
Mrs Doyle
August 7, 2018, 5:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from grimsby pete
Because I could not make to the game and had to be satisfied with the extended highlights,

I will not go too deeply into what when wrong I will just say what surprised me,

Seven of the players that started were not Jolley signings,

We had 4 over 30 players in key positions so a lack of speed ( granted Welsh had a good game)

Poor young Clifton was played out of position again.

Collins did not look where Macca was and gave them a gift of a goal,

SH also gave them a gift of a goal,

The team did not play to the instructions Jolley had given them,

FGR  were a far better team than we thought,

After all that you can understand the fans being a bit peed off after hoping for a good result.

All the above problems can be sorted this week on the training field,

To verbally call Jolley on the opening game of the season is not justified he deserves a lot more time so the ones in the main stand should keep their thoughts to social media,

We all know we have been lacking an out and out striker Jolley knows this and is working hard to bring one in ( hopefully today)

I think we should try and forget this game and get behind the team for the next game Jolley will make changes and hopefully have a new face or two added to the squad,

Finally a lot of people have said why did Vernham not start well he has not played a full game yet after coming back from a serious injury so its better to bide our time with him so we do not lose him to another injury so soon after returning.

One last point if FGR had given us two goals instead of the other way round we would have won Yes we might have still played poorly but we would have the 3 points.

Don't believe all you read Pete. To put the record straight I was sat right behind the dugout ALL game and Mike Jolley DID NOT GET SLAGGED OFF.

One or two of the players got booed when subbed and at the end, I do not condone this but could understand their feelings.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fishy back to its shameful best

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.