Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
New manager
New staff
New formation
New players
First game
And some of you can't wait to get home and share your expertise.

Here we go again

Get real FFS!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
jimgtfc
August 5, 2018, 7:33am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,094
Gold Stars: 45
I think most have given an honest reflection on a shocking opening game. We can all see Jolley is doing a great job off the pitch but without the rose tinted glasses on yesterday was bitterly disappointing.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 54
MuddyWaters
August 5, 2018, 7:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
For the record, 5 of our team yesterday started at Forest Green at the end of last season (under the same manager) as opposed to 4 of theirs.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 54
ginnywings
August 5, 2018, 7:48am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,114
Gold Stars: 548
Didn't need much expertise to analyse that utter steaming pile of dog turd. If it looks like Sh1t, and smells like sh1t, it's likely sh1t.

What else are football forums for, than to blow off  bit of steam in the heat of the moment? I suggest you look up the word cathartic. I've already seen the usual, "GTFC fans are the very worst, you wouldn't get that abuse at other clubs". Bollox you wouldn't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 54
dapperz fun pub
August 5, 2018, 7:51am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Cod Cheeks
New manager
New staff
New formation
New players
First game
And some of you can't wait to get home and share your expertise.

Here we go again

Get real FFS!!!

How about a point made by a ex player to me this week , who in all fairness was very positive about MJ but he did say my only worry is he wants to play a premiership formation/style with lesser players. Tbf he didn’t exactly say lesser players but I got the drift , after yesterday I think that plan will be shelved
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 54
Cod Cheeks
August 5, 2018, 8:00am
Snakebite drinker
[quote=799]Didn't need much expertise to analyse that utter steaming pile of dog turd. If it looks like Sh1t, and smells like sh1t, it's likely sh1t.

ah the Boris Johnson of the fishy. Can we polish it?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 54
ginnywings
August 5, 2018, 8:25am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Cod Cheeks
[quote=799]Didn't need much expertise to analyse that utter steaming pile of dog turd. If it looks like Sh1t, and smells like sh1t, it's likely sh1t.

ah the Boris Johnson of the fishy. Can we polish it?

Course we can.

I don't get too hung up about the opinion of others, or whether you like me as a poster or not, but being likened to an ar$ehole like Boris Johnson cuts deep.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 54
jonnyboy82
August 5, 2018, 8:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Did you go ?

Because if you did you would have seen the worst overall performance in recent years at BP and as you must surely know we have had some dog turd.

Yesterday was anything worse than slade woods or even nicky law ever served up.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 54
Croxton
August 5, 2018, 8:54am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
To continue the faecal analysis further, it was evident in preseason that the three at the back are not equipped for the subtle arts of playing out from the back. Thus we looked constipated until Hesenthaler or Vernam could link  play higher up the pitch.
Accrington played a simple game at the back last season by arrowing passes to wide players and closing up in support. No hopeful balls looped up to marked forwards. Jackson avoided standing next to central defenders. His movement showed how Hooper is wasted feeding off high balls.
First principles, clear your lines.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 54
Cod Cheeks
August 5, 2018, 9:12am
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Course we can.

I don't get too hung up about the opinion of others, or whether you like me as a poster or not, but being likened to an ar$ehole like Boris Johnson cuts deep.  

Didn't mean to offend you, I don't know you.
With reference to BJ; you will recall that he made similar remarks about brexit whilst being part of set up for the full duration so far.
Very disappointed with the game but equally disappointed with the fishy snowball rolling in the negative direction after game one
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 54
jonnyboy82
August 5, 2018, 9:13am
Vodka Drinker
44 fvcking 2 .

What is it with this club and managers refusing to play a 442 with wingers to attack ? Its proved succesful in promotion for teams out this league year on year yet we refuse to play it , if we do we insist on playing central midfielders out there.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 54
Mrs Doyle
August 5, 2018, 9:45am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Just throw this one in for the snowflakes on here.

To the tune of burning ring of fire, this summed up my feelings of yesterday.

DA DA DA DUD DA DA DA DA DA DA DA.....................G.T.F.C.

DA DA DA DUD DA DA DA DA DA DA DA......................S.H.I.T LOL

Go on do your worst with the red crosses ya know you want to lol.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 54
Tommy
August 5, 2018, 10:20am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from jonnyboy82
44 fvcking 2 .

What is it with this club and managers refusing to play a 442 with wingers to attack ? Its proved succesful in promotion for teams out this league year on year yet we refuse to play it , if we do we insist on playing central midfielders out there.

I'd flip that the other way and say what is it with a section of fans who excrement themselves whenever we play anything other than 442 for more than 5 minutes and demand that we return to it immediately.

I'd also say that, I'd bet there have been as many teams promoted out of League Two in the last 5 years playing something other than 442 as there has been teams playing 442.

I wasn't at BP yesterday so I'm not commenting on the performance. But regardless of that, it was one game. I get that it was awful by all accounts and we seem to be short of one or two wing-backs suitable for the formation. But these things can be sorted both in the transfer market and on the training ground.

Think we just have to bear in mind that because it's the first game of the season, whichever way it goes it's amplified because it's looked at in isolation. If this had been in the middle of an average 12-game run, I doubt it'd be spoken about in the same near-suicidal tone as it is now.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 54
forza ivano
August 5, 2018, 10:45am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,169
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Tommy

I'd flip that the other way and say what is it with a section of fans who excrement themselves whenever we play anything other than 442 for more than 5 minutes and demand that we return to it immediately.

I'd also say that, I'd bet there have been as many teams promoted out of League Two in the last 5 years playing something other than 442 as there has been teams playing 442.

I wasn't at BP yesterday so I'm not commenting on the performance. But regardless of that, it was one game. I get that it was awful by all accounts and we seem to be short of one or two wing-backs suitable for the formation. But these things can be sorted both in the transfer market and on the training ground.

Think we just have to bear in mind that because it's the first game of the season, whichever way it goes it's amplified because it's looked at in isolation. If this had been in the middle of an average 12-game run, I doubt it'd be spoken about in the same near-suicidal tone as it is now.

Fair point Tommy, but I have to ask why mj shoe horned players to fit the system.dixon and Clifton aren't wing backs.we only really have 1 in the squad and he was left on the bench. If you can't get the necessary players for you preferred system then surely you play a formation that suits the players strengths? Also feel sorry for cook, who thought he'd escaped from having to play a variety of unsuitable roles at Luton, and then immediately gets played in a role that doesn't suit him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 54
jonnyboy82
August 5, 2018, 10:46am
Vodka Drinker
Spot on forza.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 54
Tommy
August 5, 2018, 10:54am
Season Ticket Holder
I don't disagree with your points forza I'm just calling for a bit of patience really. It's probably rare to start the season with what ends up being your strongest team. Both through transfers and also just working who's better in what role.

Our first year back in L2 Bogle was starting on the bench but then ended up having the best 4 months of his life as a certain starter.

It'll work out i'm sure, and I don't think people should be sharpening the knives for Jolley after 1 game.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 54
Stadium
August 5, 2018, 12:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,924
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Tommy
I don't disagree with your points forza I'm just calling for a bit of patience really. It's probably rare to start the season with what ends up being your strongest team. Both through transfers and also just working who's better in what role.

Our first year back in L2 Bogle was starting on the bench but then ended up having the best 4 months of his life as a certain starter.

It'll work out i'm sure, and I don't think people should be sharpening the knives for Jolley after 1 game.

Exactly this & some sensible comments from Forza.
The reaction once again on here has been hilarious-still not unexpected on past form by certain posters.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 54
MuddyWaters
August 5, 2018, 12:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

The reaction once again on here has been hilarious-still not unexpected on past form by certain posters.

What was clear yesterday was that FGR have brought in some very good footballers for this level who all knew what they were doing. As a result, they outplayed us for the whole game. It showed that we either haven't prepared well enough or that the players we've got aren't good enough to play the system we seem to have adopted.

I know there has been a lot of hype & expectation but we ended last season as the form club in the league and by beating yesterday's opponents comprehensively so, perhaps, some of the hype is understandable bearing in mind the manager has now brought in his own staff & squad.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 54
Yoda
August 5, 2018, 4:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,161
Gold Stars: 71
Before the game i didn’t think we had a quality striker who could unsettle a defence, and i was proved right unfortunately.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 54
arryarryarry
August 5, 2018, 5:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Stadium

So are you looking for Rob to censor this forum?

Not sure if you went but most agree that it was an absolute shite performance so are people not allowed to say that?
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 54
hheh2
August 5, 2018, 5:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
Be positive I have faith we will turn it around and come good. All Town Aren't We

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 54
MuddyWaters
August 5, 2018, 5:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from hheh2
Be positive I have faith we will turn it around and come good. All Town Aren't We

Yes we are but as Codcheeks brought up turdpolishing, you couldn't describe yesterday as anything other than a big, smelly one.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 54
Stadium
August 5, 2018, 6:25pm
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,924
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from arryarryarry

So are you looking for Rob to censor this forum?

Not sure if you went but most agree that it was an absolute shite performance so are people not allowed to say that?

??
Maybe too much time in the sun today?
Its an internet forum,people have every right to express an opinion.
I found the reaction after one game highly amusing but not unexpected by some familiar & regular posters.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 54
oochiad
August 5, 2018, 6:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,716
Gold Stars: 28
I’m the most optimistic of supporters but there is no escaping the fact that yesterday was an absolute shambles and also a very embarrassing performance. All other teams fans laughing at our show, still it’s only the first game and we can chat me back stronger. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 54
oochiad
August 5, 2018, 6:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,716
Gold Stars: 28
Come!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 54
arryarryarry
August 5, 2018, 7:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Quoted from Stadium

??
Maybe too much time in the sun today?
Its an internet forum,people have every right to express an opinion.
I found the reaction after one game highly amusing but not unexpected by some familiar & regular posters.

I have no idea what you are really rabbiting on about, the vast majority of posts have been about how bad the game was, what the frig did you expect?
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 54
Mrs Doyle
August 5, 2018, 8:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Jolley might not have picked his best eleven to start with but we played that system well against higher opposition (albeit in friendlies ) For whatever reason the players gave up on the plan and resorted to?? Aimless hoofs to Gavin Gunning???

Even Jolley could not hide his disappointment at the player's lack of understanding. Listen to how many times he says they did not play to the plan in his interview.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 54
moosey_club
August 5, 2018, 9:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Jolley might not have picked his best eleven to start with but we played that system well against higher opposition (albeit in friendlies ) For whatever reason the players gave up on the plan and resorted to?? Aimless hoofs to Gavin Gunning???

Even Jolley could not hide his disappointment at the player's lack of understanding. Listen to how many times he says they did not play to the plan in his interview.

unfortunately he is paid to see it, sort it...not whine after 90 mins.
From the very off, every one of the 5700 odd home support could see they were quicker, brighter and way better in possession than we were...as has been said by a few posters...square pegs, aged legs in key positions....but for all FGR's slick footy they still didnt really create or carve us open in open play but they were dominating and we were getting nowhere, generally i thought the back 3 played ok first half but everything else didnt work, midfield absent, no width, no service to a front two....very lucky to get in at HT at 1-0.
Welsh too deep, virtually on the toes of the back centre 3, Woolford not energetic enough, wing backs who couldnt get forward, front two isolated.

Shoulda ..coulda .. have been sorted at HT....but came out exactly the same, if not worse.

If the players werent playing to the plan then either ...reinforce the plan, change the plan, change the main catalysts of the plan....MJ didnt seem to do any of those at half time...if he did ...it didnt work. Then like Hurst before him...he waited for the equaliser to go in before he reacted.

Wrong starting 11 realistically , too slow to change it probably .....only time will tell if FGR are actually the best team in the division or if we are just terrible or just had an off day.  

Reaction will be very interesting next week.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 54
Meza
August 5, 2018, 9:19pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50
my dad said during the game (near the end of the first half) the players seem to be running in treacle.  We didn't look sharp one bit, but what let us down the most was the lack of fight and the balls played forward to a striker who aint going to get a sniff and fed on scraps.  I think we just seem less match fit than them.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 54
moosey_club
August 5, 2018, 10:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Meza
my dad said during the game (near the end of the first half) the players seem to be running in treacle.  We didn't look sharp one bit, but what let us down the most was the lack of fight and the balls played forward to a striker who aint going to get a sniff and fed on scraps.  I think we just seem less match fit than them.

and Welsh was stating in the pre match interviews that he "would doubt any other team would be fitter than us" ...well 1 team down and 1 team fitter, faster, better.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 54
Maringer
August 5, 2018, 10:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
I don't think there was any indication that we were lacking in fitness. Everyone kept running from start to end, just not as quickly as the opposition (who also ran from the beginning to the end). Because they've got quick players and we haven't.

That's what the big bucks generally gets you - quicker, more athletic players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 54
1mickylyons
August 6, 2018, 6:50am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Maringer
I don't think there was any indication that we were lacking in fitness. Everyone kept running from start to end, just not as quickly as the opposition (who also ran from the beginning to the end). Because they've got quick players and we haven't.

No idea on the stats but even first half FGR seemed to retain and pass the ball far better than us? After HT they stepped up a couple of gears and we continued to plod and hoof and unfortunately aided them with silly errors.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 54
chaos33
August 6, 2018, 7:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Maringer

Match sharpness probably more accurate. We were very visibly lacking movement, urgency, players wanting the ball and moving into position. The heat must have made that tough going, but it's the same for both sides and FGR were impressive in their energy and desire.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 54
Maringer
August 6, 2018, 7:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Yeah, I agree we looked a little sluggish. Oddly enough, I thought we actually started the second half a bit better but, of course, they got the goal following a break from our corner, I think, and the rest is history.

Let's just hope the result was one of those games you get where everything that can go wrong does and we put it right next game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 54
golfer
August 6, 2018, 8:03am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
From what I'd read about our new players from those in the know on the Fishy I was expecting a younger team with SPEED galore-what happened. Fake News ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 54
denni266
August 6, 2018, 8:15am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 132
We will never know from that game how bigger difference there was between the two clubs , as we never sent out our best players in there natural position , That was bad managements decision , I hope they know this and put it right
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 54
Croxton
August 6, 2018, 8:40am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
FAO Stadium. It is not hilarious for any of us who were there to simply record what we witnessed. Moosey ,Chaos, Forza et al have analysed the differences between the two teams and the failure to react both on and off field. If I was on holiday or abroad I would prefer to read unvarnished views , however uncomfortable, than
blind optimism.
Move on, nothing shameful here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 54
1mickylyons
August 6, 2018, 9:11am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
I don`t recall the Town fan`s being so optimistic as Saturday for quite a few year`s and the high gate and sheer volume of shirts was a pleasant surprise to the eye. I am hoping FGR are far better than we anticipated and this was a mere blip?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 54
nightrider
August 6, 2018, 9:26am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
We’ll be going to war on Saturday and there’s not a man in there that I wouldn’t want next to me,"
That's the message from Town skipper, John Welsh ahead of Saturday's opener against Forest Green Rovers......

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 54
ginnywings
August 6, 2018, 9:28am

Recovering Alcoholic
Someone forgot the ammo...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 54
MuddyWaters
August 6, 2018, 9:31am
Barley Wine Drinker
Back to the OP - MJ described the performance as unacceptable so why can't we?
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 54
grimsby pete
August 6, 2018, 10:17am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,793
Gold Stars: 222
Because I could not make to the game and had to be satisfied with the extended highlights,

I will not go too deeply into what when wrong I will just say what surprised me,

Seven of the players that started were not Jolley signings,

We had 4 over 30 players in key positions so a lack of speed ( granted Welsh had a good game)

Poor young Clifton was played out of position again.

Collins did not look where Macca was and gave them a gift of a goal,

SH also gave them a gift of a goal,

The team did not play to the instructions Jolley had given them,

FGR  were a far better team than we thought,

After all that you can understand the fans being a bit peed off after hoping for a good result.

All the above problems can be sorted this week on the training field,

To verbally call Jolley on the opening game of the season is not justified he deserves a lot more time so the ones in the main stand should keep their thoughts to social media,

We all know we have been lacking an out and out striker Jolley knows this and is working hard to bring one in ( hopefully today)

I think we should try and forget this game and get behind the team for the next game Jolley will make changes and hopefully have a new face or two added to the squad,

Finally a lot of people have said why did Vernham not start well he has not played a full game yet after coming back from a serious injury so its better to bide our time with him so we do not lose him to another injury so soon after returning.

One last point if FGR had given us two goals instead of the other way round we would have won Yes we might have still played poorly but we would have the 3 points.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 54
Maringer
August 6, 2018, 11:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Unfortunately, we didn't have the ball in their box often enough for them to gift us a couple of goals.

Have to say, you can't really expect an all-action, box-to-box performance when two of your midfield 3 are 'veterans', none of them have anything in the way of pace and you're playing with a slow left wing-back and a makeshift right wing-back.

I think Jolley set up the team to try and grind out a result and the ploy failed miserably on the day thanks to awful second half defending.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 54
Jimbob
August 6, 2018, 11:35am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +2
Why do people keep saying Clifton keeps playing out of position he has played that position before hasn't he?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 54
Flying Mariner
August 6, 2018, 11:54am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +55
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Jimbob
Why do people keep saying Clifton keeps playing out of position he has played that position before hasn't he?

Jimbob..
I think last season he played a couple of games right midfield/wing.
His natural position is centre midfield, the only area in the team where we have lots of cover.
Harry will always give 100% but I felt sorry for him Saturday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 54
Jimbob
August 6, 2018, 1:04pm
Shandy Drinker
If hes not a right back or is not comfortable in that position he should not have started in that position unless we had no cover .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 54
golfer
August 6, 2018, 5:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Quoted from Jimbob

Whether he has played that position or not he was crap like the rest of them. One way of looking at Saturdays game is that we are guaranteed of it only getting better,it can't get worse -of course it can't said he.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 54
Garth
August 6, 2018, 6:16pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from grimsby pete
Because I could not make to the game and had to be satisfied with the extended highlights,

I will not go too deeply into what when wrong I will just say what surprised me,

We had 4 over 30 players in key positions so a lack of speed ( granted Welsh had a good game)

After all that you can understand the fans being a bit peed off after hoping for a good result.

To verbally call Jolley on the opening game of the season is not justified he deserves a lot more time so the ones in the main stand should keep their thoughts to social media,

We all know we have been lacking an out and out striker Jolley knows this and is working hard to bring one in ( hopefully today)

I think we should try and forget this game and get behind the team for the next game Jolley will make changes and hopefully have a new face or two added to the squad,

Finally a lot of people have said why did Vernham not start well he has not played a full game yet after coming back from a serious injury so its better to bide our time with him so we do not lose him to another injury so soon after returning.

One last point if FGR had given us two goals instead of the other way round we would have won Yes we might have still played poorly but we would have the 3 points.

Not being dramatic Pete, I will never forget that game in a million Sundays
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 54
MuddyWaters
August 6, 2018, 7:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Jimbob

In pre-season? Yes. In a competitive game? No. Against an experienced striker like Reid? No.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 54
Maringer
August 6, 2018, 9:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Reid looked the best player on the field to me and their left-back wasn't too far behind him either. I think Clifton was horribly exposed by a lack of support from midfield and understandably struggled but I expect most full-backs/wing-backs in the division would have a hard time in such a situation.

I don't doubt Clifton could do a reasonable job there given more support and against more 'average' players in this division. However, if we've always planned to play 3-5-2, surely we should be playing a specialist in the role from the start of the season?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 54
Jimbob
August 6, 2018, 9:32pm
Shandy Drinker
Jolley must think he was capable of playing wingback otherwise he would not risk him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 54
carrot top
August 7, 2018, 12:23pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 2
Clifton was annonymous at best but then again so were others.

The hoofball was very hard to watch. It seems that when we have the ball we are quickly closed down so we just end up knocking it long in hope. Very poor

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 54
Tommy
August 7, 2018, 1:18pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from carrot top
Clifton was annonymous at best but then again so were others.

The hoofball was very hard to watch. It seems that when we have the ball we are quickly closed down so we just end up knocking it long in hope. Very poor

The bit i've highlighted is why it's pretty pointless taking much notice of pre-season friendlies. As you can knock the ball about and look good in possession in friendlies when the opposition aren't going to play with much intensity and press you quickly, but it's a different thing entirely doing it when you're put under pressure.

It's arguably what separates good players from the rest, is having the awareness and pictures of what's around you early enough, and the confidence, composure & concentration to still play (be it a pass/dribble etc) when under pressure.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 54
moosey_club
August 7, 2018, 2:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Tommy

It's arguably what separates good players from the rest, is having the awareness and pictures of what's around you early enough, and the confidence, composure & concentration to still play (be it a pass/dribble etc) when under pressure.

Majority of the time on Saturday regardless of which of our players was in possession they had nobody making themselves open for a forward pass. The back three played passes sidewards between themselves, back to Macca or lumped forward due to lack of options.
Yes ability of the player plays a part in how happy they are in possession and how they deal with being pressured by the opposition but having options is fundamental.  
Collins, Davis, Whitmore, Welsh, Dixon, Woolford dont have the comfort of pace to escape a tricky situation so that doesn't help either.....for the RHJ c0ck up ...as a right footer playing left back his natural tendency was to use that foot the way he was facing, that meant a pass back to Macca, any left footed player would have peeled away to the left side with their first touch to create room to work with up the touchline.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 54
Mrs Doyle
August 7, 2018, 5:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

Don't believe all you read Pete. To put the record straight I was sat right behind the dugout ALL game and Mike Jolley DID NOT GET SLAGGED OFF.

One or two of the players got booed when subbed and at the end, I do not condone this but could understand their feelings.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 54
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fishy back to its shameful best

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.