Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › You could tell something wasn’t quite right...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 325 Guests

You could tell something wasn’t quite right...

This thread currently has 5,397 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
58mariner
August 4, 2018, 9:09pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: -80
It was pretty clear from early on that something wasn’t quite right today. I find it hard to believe Jolley would have sent us out to play long ball which is all our 3 centre halves seemed to want to do. Midfield 3 totally bypassed and straight up to two strikers unable to hold up the ball. Cook is a creative number 10 and all he could do all day was try compete for headers he was clearly never going to win. The plan was clearly to play through the lines and get the full backs high up the pitch but we just seemed to revert to type and panic. Jolley elluded to this in his post match interview, “six weeks work ignored etc”. Don’t agree with those calling for him to ditch the 3-5-2 after 1 game. He clearly believes in his system and philosophy and he has earnt the right, in my opinion, to be given time. It was clear we need a number 9 who can hold up the ball and bring others into the play. Hopefully we get that this week. Clifton’s positioning at RWB was a little suspect at times but he’s still clearly learning the position. Welsh impressed and was visibly angry at Rose’s lack of bite and enthusiasm at one stage, as was I throughout.
Private Message
Hagrid
August 4, 2018, 9:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,388
Gold Stars: 534
Theres nothing to learn he’s not a right wing back for christ sake
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
Limerick Mariner
August 4, 2018, 9:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,694
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from 58mariner
It was pretty clear from early on that something wasn’t quite right today. I find it hard to believe Jolley would have sent us out to play long ball which is all our 3 centre halves seemed to want to do. Midfield 3 totally bypassed and straight up to two strikers unable to hold up the ball. Cook is a creative number 10 and all he could do all day was try compete for headers he was clearly never going to win. The plan was clearly to play through the lines and get the full backs high up the pitch but we just seemed to revert to type and panic. Jolley elluded to this in his post match interview, “six weeks work ignored etc”. Don’t agree with those calling for him to ditch the 3-5-2 after 1 game. He clearly believes in his system and philosophy and he has earnt the right, in my opinion, to be given time. It was clear we need a number 9 who can hold up the ball and bring others into the play. Hopefully we get that this week. Clifton’s positioning at RWB was a little suspect at times but he’s still clearly learning the position. Welsh impressed and was visibly angry at Rose’s lack of bite and enthusiasm at one stage, as was I throughout.

Not saying much but I thought Rose was one of our better performers today. Woolford, however, may as well not have been on the pitch. Hessenthaler showed some passion and surely will start next time. Agree with the rest though - totally by-passed midfield and also gifted the Veggies 20 yards of space every time they started to put passes together. A scout sat in front of us -was making copious notes on the Veggies - maybe for their next opponents (Oldham). I was peering over this shoulder and early in the second half - before the equalliser he wrote "FGR different footballing class"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
HertsGTFC
August 4, 2018, 9:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Didn’t go today as it’s my daughters wedding so apart from what I’ve seen in “highlights” I guess I really can’t comment on the performance but I must say I was a bit surprised by the selection.

Anyway let’s just hope it gets better next week, debit from the MJ goodwill account I reckon.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
louth_in_the_south
August 4, 2018, 9:50pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,675
Gold Stars: 95
Rabbits in headlights from the whistle of the start of the second half

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
58mariner
August 4, 2018, 9:51pm
Coke Drinker
Can’t ageee on rose vs Woolford. The latter at least retained possession and looked creative on the ball. He’s not going to make bursting runs at his age but he’s one of few with a bit of guile on the ball. Rose and Welsh in there to do the hard yards. Really don’t understand why people rate Rose, bar his penalty taking abilities. Makes silly fouls in bad areas, gives the ball away in bad areas, looked lost and half a yard off all of their midfielders. Passenger again today.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
Jimbob
August 4, 2018, 10:03pm
Shandy Drinker
Approval: +2
if cliftons not a wingback what is he?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
58mariner
August 4, 2018, 10:18pm
Coke Drinker
I love Clifton but I don’t think he needs to be shoe horned into the team in a position he’s not familiar with? Though he might have potential to play RWB If we’re playing a midfield 3 I’d still love to see him
In there eventually alongside welsh and one other.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
fiveallive
August 5, 2018, 1:36am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
Clifton should never play Right Wing Back again, he's a central midfielder who did a very good job right wing, he was owned and bullied by there player today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
arryarryarry
August 5, 2018, 3:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from 58mariner
Can’t ageee on rose vs Woolford. The latter at least retained possession and looked creative on the ball. He’s not going to make bursting runs at his age but he’s one of few with a bit of guile on the ball. Rose and Welsh in there to do the hard yards. Really don’t understand why people rate Rose, bar his penalty taking abilities. Makes silly fouls in bad areas, gives the ball away in bad areas, looked lost and half a yard off all of their midfielders. Passenger again today.

Woolford is weak in a tackle and often gives the ball away. Should have been binned at the end of last season.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
dapperz fun pub
August 5, 2018, 6:51am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Agree with Clifton shouldn’t be shoe horned into a team just to fill a position , he looked lost unfortunately Reid and mills doubled up on him and Harry got more and more frustrated which resulted in the positional mistakes. Having said that others played poorly in their preferred positions
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
58mariner
August 5, 2018, 7:02am
Coke Drinker
Teams aren’t stupid. They will target our right hand side knowing Clifton is only young and inexperienced. Centre halves will therefore get pulled out of position. 3-5-2 also relys on midfielders getting out to close down players if our wings backs are pinned back and rose and Woolford just weren’t doing that yesterday, hence our awkward shape throughout.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
Townee82
August 5, 2018, 7:46am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +87
Thought Welsh showed what's to come industrious , fearless just a shame about 6 or 7 others .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
ginnywings
August 5, 2018, 8:00am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
There is also another possibility. FGR were just much better than us, and they pulled us out of shape and forced us into panic strewn errors. I think that was one of the best footballing displays i have seen by a visiting team for a long time. Certainly much better than your average league 2 side. Clifton was excellent at the end of last season, but he was up against the best player on the pitch for me. Their wide left player was top drawer.

I'd be surprised if a i saw a better all round display than theirs again this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
dapperz fun pub
August 5, 2018, 8:46am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
There is also another possibility. FGR were just much better than us, and they pulled us out of shape and forced us into panic strewn errors. I think that was one of the best footballing displays i have seen by a visiting team for a long time. Certainly much better than your average league 2 side. Clifton was excellent at the end of last season, but he was up against the best player on the pitch for me. Their wide left player was top drawer.

I'd be surprised if a i saw a better all round display than theirs again this season.

Fair assessment that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
58mariner
August 5, 2018, 9:13am
Coke Drinker
Couldn’t agree more. Very envious
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
lew chaterleys lover
August 5, 2018, 9:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,715
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings

This is the top and bottom of it. We were totally outplayed, much as it pains me to say it.

They took us by surprise by how good they were, but our formation against a team as skilful and as fluent as them made things much worse.

It is a shame we had to get them first up, as they have obviously spent a lot in wages to get together a team like that; had we got most other teams at home I am sure we would have given them a decent game.

Nothing is decided after one game though, and it will be interesting to see where both teams finish up, but I would be shocked if FGR don't have a great season.If they don't we might be in a spot of bother...
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
MuddyWaters
August 5, 2018, 9:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from ginnywings

Amazing how these recently promoted teams (FGR/Lincoln) seem to look to develop to the next level  
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
Gaffer58
August 5, 2018, 9:35am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
I just hope those that were impressed with FGR and think they will be around the top are correct, because if they are a bottom 6 team where does it put us,remember Chesterfield last year and because we beat them how good we thought we were.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
dapperz fun pub
August 5, 2018, 9:42am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Gaffer58
I just hope those that were impressed with FGR and think they will be around the top are correct, because if they are a bottom 6 team where does it put us,remember Chesterfield last year and because we beat them how good we thought we were.

With the talent they have and a chairman who will strengthen in Jan no reason why won't be up there no reason at all
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
ginnywings
August 5, 2018, 10:30am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Gaffer58

They were last season, but that side was much improved and much changed. I'd be staggered if they finished below half way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
oldun
August 5, 2018, 1:50pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Listening their fans as they left BP. They were gobsmacked at what they had seen and as they said, they did not see that coming. Neither did we, that is football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
Yoda
August 5, 2018, 3:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,161
Gold Stars: 71
It felt a bit like a friendly yesterday no urgency no real effort.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
Grim74
August 5, 2018, 3:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
What puzzles me is that when Jolley came in with 10 games or so to go he immediately got us playing some kind of football, and it was one of the factors that got the fans back on board after all those painful months of Slade hoofball. So why did we resort back to hoof ball?

If there is one thing that will turn the fans its excrement route 1 football, admittedly I wasn't there yesterday but even the village green fans commented on our lump. It and hope game plan.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
TownSNAFU5
August 5, 2018, 4:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
Like HertsGTFC, my daughter also got married yesterday.  We were both spared the carnage of such a very poor Town performance.

After one game, however dire, judgements cannot be made on the rest of the season.  Jolley is more likely to make the changes needed after a very poor performance than after an average team performance.

I will be there next Sat and hope to see a better game.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
devs
August 5, 2018, 6:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 30
Totally agree with 58Mariner (see below)

Can’t agree on rose vs Woolford. The latter at least retained possession and looked creative on the ball. He’s not going to make bursting runs at his age but he’s one of few with a bit of guile on the ball. Rose and Welsh in there to do the hard yards. Really don’t understand why people rate Rose, bar his penalty taking abilities. Makes silly fouls in bad areas, gives the ball away in bad areas, looked lost and half a yard off all of their midfielders. Passenger again today.

Why when we lose do people always cite 'he showed passion' - that should be a given and players show it in different ways. I thought all players showed passion and commitment yesterday. We want controlled passion but far more intelligence, craft and composure
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › You could tell something wasn’t quite right...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.