Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › You could tell something wasn’t quite right...
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 199 Guests

You could tell something wasn’t quite right...

This thread currently has 5,368 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
58mariner
August 4, 2018, 9:09pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: -80
It was pretty clear from early on that something wasn’t quite right today. I find it hard to believe Jolley would have sent us out to play long ball which is all our 3 centre halves seemed to want to do. Midfield 3 totally bypassed and straight up to two strikers unable to hold up the ball. Cook is a creative number 10 and all he could do all day was try compete for headers he was clearly never going to win. The plan was clearly to play through the lines and get the full backs high up the pitch but we just seemed to revert to type and panic. Jolley elluded to this in his post match interview, “six weeks work ignored etc”. Don’t agree with those calling for him to ditch the 3-5-2 after 1 game. He clearly believes in his system and philosophy and he has earnt the right, in my opinion, to be given time. It was clear we need a number 9 who can hold up the ball and bring others into the play. Hopefully we get that this week. Clifton’s positioning at RWB was a little suspect at times but he’s still clearly learning the position. Welsh impressed and was visibly angry at Rose’s lack of bite and enthusiasm at one stage, as was I throughout.
Private Message
Hagrid
August 4, 2018, 9:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,988
Gold Stars: 508
Theres nothing to learn he’s not a right wing back for christ sake
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
Limerick Mariner
August 4, 2018, 9:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.55
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,554
Gold Stars: 133
Quoted from 58mariner
It was pretty clear from early on that something wasn’t quite right today. I find it hard to believe Jolley would have sent us out to play long ball which is all our 3 centre halves seemed to want to do. Midfield 3 totally bypassed and straight up to two strikers unable to hold up the ball. Cook is a creative number 10 and all he could do all day was try compete for headers he was clearly never going to win. The plan was clearly to play through the lines and get the full backs high up the pitch but we just seemed to revert to type and panic. Jolley elluded to this in his post match interview, “six weeks work ignored etc”. Don’t agree with those calling for him to ditch the 3-5-2 after 1 game. He clearly believes in his system and philosophy and he has earnt the right, in my opinion, to be given time. It was clear we need a number 9 who can hold up the ball and bring others into the play. Hopefully we get that this week. Clifton’s positioning at RWB was a little suspect at times but he’s still clearly learning the position. Welsh impressed and was visibly angry at Rose’s lack of bite and enthusiasm at one stage, as was I throughout.

Not saying much but I thought Rose was one of our better performers today. Woolford, however, may as well not have been on the pitch. Hessenthaler showed some passion and surely will start next time. Agree with the rest though - totally by-passed midfield and also gifted the Veggies 20 yards of space every time they started to put passes together. A scout sat in front of us -was making copious notes on the Veggies - maybe for their next opponents (Oldham). I was peering over this shoulder and early in the second half - before the equalliser he wrote "FGR different footballing class"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
HertsGTFC
August 4, 2018, 9:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Didn’t go today as it’s my daughters wedding so apart from what I’ve seen in “highlights” I guess I really can’t comment on the performance but I must say I was a bit surprised by the selection.

Anyway let’s just hope it gets better next week, debit from the MJ goodwill account I reckon.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
louth_in_the_south
August 4, 2018, 9:50pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
Rabbits in headlights from the whistle of the start of the second half

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
58mariner
August 4, 2018, 9:51pm
Coke Drinker
Can’t ageee on rose vs Woolford. The latter at least retained possession and looked creative on the ball. He’s not going to make bursting runs at his age but he’s one of few with a bit of guile on the ball. Rose and Welsh in there to do the hard yards. Really don’t understand why people rate Rose, bar his penalty taking abilities. Makes silly fouls in bad areas, gives the ball away in bad areas, looked lost and half a yard off all of their midfielders. Passenger again today.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
Jimbob
August 4, 2018, 10:03pm
Shandy Drinker
Approval: +2
if cliftons not a wingback what is he?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
58mariner
August 4, 2018, 10:18pm
Coke Drinker
I love Clifton but I don’t think he needs to be shoe horned into the team in a position he’s not familiar with? Though he might have potential to play RWB If we’re playing a midfield 3 I’d still love to see him
In there eventually alongside welsh and one other.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
fiveallive
August 5, 2018, 1:36am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
Clifton should never play Right Wing Back again, he's a central midfielder who did a very good job right wing, he was owned and bullied by there player today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
arryarryarry
August 5, 2018, 3:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from 58mariner
Can’t ageee on rose vs Woolford. The latter at least retained possession and looked creative on the ball. He’s not going to make bursting runs at his age but he’s one of few with a bit of guile on the ball. Rose and Welsh in there to do the hard yards. Really don’t understand why people rate Rose, bar his penalty taking abilities. Makes silly fouls in bad areas, gives the ball away in bad areas, looked lost and half a yard off all of their midfielders. Passenger again today.

Woolford is weak in a tackle and often gives the ball away. Should have been binned at the end of last season.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › You could tell something wasn’t quite right...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.